Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I don't really see why they would make a card that specifically produces "Diamond" mana especially if the "diamond" mana is colorless. You already have basic lands that do that so it seems redundant.

However, R&D seems stupid enough to make the "diamond" it's own mana source which can only be paid by using Waste lands and they end up not producing colorless.

It makes a lot of sense if they want to print cards that specifically require colorless for part of the casting cost. A card with diamond in the cost means you can't use a forest for that diamond cost, you have to have some way of producing a colorless mana to pay the diamond cost.

It makes sense here because colorless is a thing with eldrazi but colorless is a problem for the color pie. In BFZ they used devoid to get around the color pie problem, maybe in oath they give you ways to create colorless mana and cards where you must use colorless mana. Its still a color pie problem, but you'd have to weaken your mana base to gain access to this.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

Also keep in mind that none of the fetchlands can find ♦, you'd need to play things like Evolving Wilds or Pilgrim's Eye to find a Wastes in Standard. They'd need to be incredibly highly powered cards to be worth running.

In Limited, you'd have only half support for a ♦/x archetype in the BFZ pack. You'd be drafting two colors for the first two packs, and only one color in the last pack. You could just say that the whole mechanic is meant to be splashed, but that just seems really bad for (I assume) a major mechanic in Oath and would again need to be really powerful to be worth doing.

It just seems far too parasitic to be worthwhile.

I doubt diamond costs require waste, it probably just needs to be colorless mana. Something like a diamond symbol is needed to say that part of the cost MUST be colorless, {1} doesn't work, and it might be a good way to help new players on the waste land since they want full art land without text explaining that it produces colorless, and this will help them understand they can't use an island to pay diamond.

Also, it makes those crappy colorless lands in BFZ with colored spell effects be a little better.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

BJPaskoff posted:

The more "evidence" people present as the Eldrazi mana being fake, the more I think that they're real.

The most compelling evidence is that this art didn't exist on the internet until today, and the bismuth hints attached to kozilek.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Chamale posted:

If this is real, I really hope they use it well. I don't want another Snow Mana.

I could see them using this "mechanic" in future sets, could even be evergreen. Its general enough that it doesn't have to be a Kozilek thing, and it might solve a problem with artifacts. Artifacts have color pie issues, but if you can require colorless, then you can make stronger pie-infringing artifacts since you'd have to weaken your mana base to gain access to it.

It would be a very big change in the rules if this becomes an every-set thing, but players can learn it, its intuitive, and seems to solve a long-standing problem.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Probably mentioned before, but another strong piece of evidence that this is a big evergreen change to the game is that "waste" would be a waste of a good name for a land. If this was just some stupid eldrazi snow mana they would have picked a different name for the land.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 18, 2015

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think its a really clean way to impliment a psuedo 6th color.

In eldrazi sets they may use it as a pseudo 6th color, but if this is an evergreen or deciduous mechanic, then it would just be a way to make good artifacts and equipment without really damaging the color pie or making it way too expensive, since you have to make your mana base worse to gain effective access to that awesome artifact.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The evidence that they are real seems overwhelming. The bismuth theme is consistent with prior cards, the Kozilek art is real, and that Kozilek art did not exist on the internet before yesterday.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Sigma-X posted:

that just makes it a 6th color, I doubt it will extend beyond this set / eldrazi, but when we Return Yet Again To Ravnica because Emrakul is rolling in for end-game, they will totally show up again to ruin Ravnica's duals.

Artifacts are in such a sad, sorry state right now (maybe 1 or 2 playable per block) that they either need to do something big like this, or just get rid of the concept of colorless spells outside of eldrazi. Also, it could just be a minor theme in most sets, make sure you have basic and nonbasic lands in every set that can produce a colorless and then you can have powerful artifacts.

Having this in the game going forward makes a lot of sense and solves some long-standing issues. I don't think it would be confusing to players to errata all old colorless-producing cards, because going forward you would never again see anything produce {}, that generic mana with a number symbol would only exist in casting costs from now on. If they had to design magic all over again, they should have designed it that way, give colorless mana its own symbol like the diamond separate from the generic cost symbol.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Rimusutera posted:

I wouldn't trust the mods on mtgsalvation to tell me the colour of the sky.

Its not a coin-flip when they confirm something, they blow it sometimes but they usually have at least a 90% hit rate, and this particular case has an unusual amount of evidence supporting it being real.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
For what its worth, apparently on a panel about a year ago, someone from wizards said that they had found a solution for the "colorless land problem" for commander.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Silly question, you know how after a draft you can put in as many of the 5 basic land types you want for your 40 card deck? What exactly is the rule on that?

I know they can change the rules if they want, but currently could you put in as many waste as you want, or do you only get what you draft? Is it based on it being a basic land, a basic land with a land type, or do the rules name those 5 specific traditional basic land cards?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

You couldn't do that with snow land in Coldsnap. You just had to draft Snow-Covered Mountain.

Based on what oracle says, looks like you are right. Thats nots just a basic land, it even had the island land type. You can use as many as you want in constructed, but for limited it looks like the rules do name the 5 specific cards.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
You probably need to be in a situation where the other 7 players have decided they will not play green no matter what, and you literally get almost all the green cards passed to you. If that happens, you can do well.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
One thing I just realized about the 2 block per year paradigm, is that its going to make draft a lot more fun, with very large changes every quarter instead of just 2 sometimes 3 times a quarter. Before, it used to be in a normal Large Small Small block, each small set incrementally changed what worked before, sometimes an archetype changed a lot, but the new small set is still only 1 pack. Now, since OGW is going to be 2 packs when its released, it is going to greatly change the draft environment, to the point where green could even go from nearly unplayable, to "average" if the first 2 packs are good for green.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Olothreutes posted:

It's really odd, then, that the flagship big colorless dude (newzilek) feels very blue. Draw some cards, and here have a way to counter some spells.

Also the wastes, at least as I see them, are pretty well tied to the eldrazi flavor right now. Sure you can have them elsewhere with little to no problem, but they seem to be leaning towards "these lands produce colorless because of eldrazi taint" in both the theme and in the art with the bismuth looking eldrazi effect. So if the eldrazi have really hosed off into the wild and they start to taint other planes, wastes continue to make sense in this manner. If not, or if we move to a plane that they haven't been to yet, do we just ignore this mechanic for a set/block or do we have other wastes that produce the same thing but aren't from the same source?

"Wastes" is also a conspicuously small, good word for a land. Wizards wouldn't use it for something they wouldn't reprint, they'd make up a word or use a phrase.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I don't see how this can be considered parasitic. Every set has ways to produce colorless mana.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

mehall posted:

So my redraft pool tonight is garbage.
Highest card is foil forest (not the good one) at 5.60 tcg mid.

Why is Kiora under 5 dollars? I know she doesn't have a deck just now, but she's a good card, and will be in standard for ages yet!

BFZ cards in general are worth less than usual because it is probably by far the most-opened set in history.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Alris posted:

I know it's a dumb question (because Commander is a dumb, albeit fun format) but can a colourless Commander like Kozilek legally use creatures with Devoid?

No. If the card has a mana symbol written anywhere on it thats not part of your commander's identity, you can't play it. A colorless commander deck can only include lands and true colorless cards.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The best solution is to never have another Modern Pro Tour again. Modern is an awful format.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
If there is a standard-relevant sacrifice outlet that is white or can be paired with white, this card will be insane.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Apparently the name of Liliana's card will be "Liliana, the Last Hope", this was discovered in promotional posters. Nothing else is known about the card other than the name.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Ironically if I see you draft one I can easily hate pick the other, since they're dfcs :(

The common meld will probably happen because its common, but I don't think Hanweir will ever happen in draft, If you get one half and the other half is opened, some idiot will hate it away.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

I think this is a case where as Maro often says, you shouldn't fight expectations. A random casual player hitting FNM is going to assume that the cmc is the sum of the two cards. People will be confused and annoyed if they are told its something else with no reminder text to support it.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

The thing that makes me dislike Meld is that it's too obviously a shoehorned-in way to do B.F.M. style cards when all the effects they're doing with it would work just as well without.

Like you could have Hanweir Battlements be a normal double-faced card with Hanweir, the Writhing township on the back, but have the transform ability read "3RR, T, exile a creature you control named Hanweir Garrison: Transform Hanweir Battlements." I suppose it's slightly less flavourful, but voltronning two cards together just seems really horribly awkward when the resulting permanent is something that has to take up space on the battlefield and tap and untap.

Too safe and boring. Meld is loving awesome, and I want huge 3- and 4-card melds taking up half my playmat.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

I'm not sure what it would be aside from the sum of the two cards' cmc's

but I also think it's dumb for them to not have a cmc indicator in the first place for any of these cards.

If you print a casting cost on the back face of a DFC, new players will be confused and think they get to choose which side to cast.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean new players are already gonna be confused when they open a Bruna and the back just has some random bits of art and nothing else.

At that point they text the friend who got them into Magic or ask the guy at the shop whats going on. There's nothing for them to assume or guess. The thing to avoid is doing something where most new people are going to assume that the rules work in a way that it doesn't.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Wow, that was.... quite a plot twist. I've never been that surprised by a Magic story before.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
So, in 3 or 4 years when we revisit Innistrad, I assume the moon will crack like an egg, hatching out Emrakul and 2 brand-new titans to replace Ulamog and Kozilek.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

mandatory lesbian posted:

tamiyo was ready to kill literally everyone and the entire plane to get rid of emmy so in a way emrakul saved everyone's lives

oh my god emrakul really is gonna come back and be the good guy all along

Thats not how I read it. Tamiyo was ready to die in failure rather than use that scroll (or to see her story end as she would put it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
From Emrakul's point of view her chat with Jace was hilarious.

"huh, interesting, this little bug's mind is almost capable of communicating with me. Its been many millennia since I could talk to anyone, sure I'll talk to the bug."

"thats amusing. The bug thinks it can reason with me. I'll play with it a little, give it hope, then show it that I could have easily squished it before taking my lunar vacation."

• Locked thread