Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I remember reading the Barry's Land article.

Said Article posted:

While possible, creating a sixth basic land type had huge ramifications. There are a lot of rules both in the game rules and in the tournament floor rules that revolve around basic land types. If Cave were printed, for example, the following would all happen:

Coalition Victory would require six basic land types in play for the win.
Anytime a card listed the basic land types from then on, it would have to include Cave.
Dream Thrush could now make a land produce colorless mana.
Essentially, we were messing around with one of the fundamentals of the game. Sure we could do it, but was it worth the cost?

I find it hard to believe their answer, especially in a set without domain, is "gently caress IT JUST WRECK IT WHATEVER MAKE THINGS MORE CONFUSING FOR NO REASON BREAK THE FUNDAMENTALS TO MAKE ONE SET A LITTLE MORE HYPE"

quote:

:siren::siren::frogsiren:

I also find it very hard to believe that an Eldrazi titan's sole keyword would be Menace.

OH NO IT'S KOZILEK HE'S GONNA BUTCHER MY TRUTH wait I have a buddy nvm lets get him pal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

Source

not confirmed by any stretch of the imagination

This entire twitter seems to be WOW LOOK AT THIS MAGIC THING WE FOUND LOOK AT IT WOW so I wouldn't be surprised if they flipped out over fakes just to get a few more retweets.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Hard-countering with zero mana investment is something they just don't do, except Lullmage Mentor which has a different ridiculous condition. Hell, since Lullmage Mentor they've not printed a creature with repeatable counterspelling. Before that were Sensei Hisoka (needs mana), Disruptive Pitmage (has to tap), and Patron Wizard (has to tap, mistake).

And its keyword is menace.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Some Numbers posted:

Wouldn't that mean that without a basic land type, it won't have an intrinsic ability to tap for mana?

...Hey.

You're right.

I presume the diamond means it has "T: add ♦ to your mana pool" but there's nothing giving it that. And they have "full-art land with text box" templating available.

Everything about this is so arbitrary and I doubt they'd be introducing this in a small set.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

None of those cards are the flagship 10 mana card of a set

Here's our flagship card: Insufferable piece of poo poo w/ Menace!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Now we're getting weird

Now that's how fakes normally look.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The earliest we've gotten small set spoilers before was on Christmas. Kiora and Ugin were revealed this way, for example.

Would they really have final printed cards a month and a half before that?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Then, without a type, by what mechanic does Wastes mane ♦?

Sigma-X posted:

I actually know a guy who knows a guy kind of deal but the manufacturer+distro is like 2 months prior to the launch even when padding, so having printed material this early seems unlikely except for the purposes of marketing. I'm not sure when this set is supposed to come out off the top of my head.

quote:

Prerelease EventsJanuary 16–17, 2016

This is skirting the edge of possibility in so many ways it's wanting to make me believe it's real because it's so implausible they'd make things that are so slightly off in so many ways.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ramos posted:

I'm surprised no one is making a big deal about waste lands being printed in standard again.

It's not on the reserved list.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sigma-X posted:

and adding Wastes to modo is just adding another basic land to the "add basics" button.

So basically they'll break MODO because somehow, somehow, the add basics button only accounted for five options.

suicidesteve posted:

Kozilek proves it's fake. They don't print colorless counterspells.

Check your facts. :smug:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Are you people seriously holding up an Exodus rare as an example of what they'd do today?

Exodus also had both halves of RecSur, Sphere of Resistance, and Ravenous Baboons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That fake RW manland from a few weeks back used art from a promo video, so it's not impossible for them to have found some somewhere.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Allstone posted:

The same mechanic by which Bestowed Auras can't fizzle, I guess. Just a thing in the rules that says it does. I know people that were really annoyed about Bestow just having a weird clause that doesn't appear on any card.

That, though, is based on Bestow.

Wastes producing ♦ is based on nothing. There isn't a mechanic providing it with the ability to make mana, and to make it able to produce ♦ means changing what happens when rules aren't there.

Which is weird as heck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
the biggest reason it's fake is that ♦ is a pretty drat big mechanic to be introducing in the small set. The third set problem's gonna be the second set problem.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Christ, fine then, ♦ is a pretty drat big mechanic to be introducing in one set. The third set problem's gonna be the second set problem.

Some Numbers posted:

I'm rereading Kozilek and I'm wondering if that first line of text actually works within the rules of the game.

Shouldn't it be worded "draw until you have seven" or something?

These fakers know their templating, at least.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

whydirt posted:

Nah. If anything BFZ was already stretched thin between callbacks to original ZEN and adding a few new things. Adding something big splashy and cool is actually how you avoid the old third set problem.

But a parasitic mechanic that by virtue of being in the 2nd set can't have much support isn't how you add something big splashy and cool. :psyduck:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

bhsman posted:

It's not a huge mechanic, it's just "Hey, when you pay for this spell or ability, at least X mana must be paid with colorless only."

Why does Mirrorpool "T:♦" specifically if ♦ is just "pay me with colorless!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Some Numbers posted:

♦ may be a new symbol that means "colorless."

So, older lands might get errata'd to have "T: ♦"

This isn't the kind of sweeping change they make in a small set to support at most two-dozen cards.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Because you can't pay that mana with a swamp or forest or island. You can pay for it with the colorless mana from a painland. They want colorless to have some sort of identity, rather than "hey any color can be used for this."

So why does a land produce ♦ if ♦ is just a condition that R doesn't work but {1} does? Has a land ever produced "spend only black mana on X"?

bhsman posted:

It may just be the same as "Tap for 1" or it's like Snow mana.

This is the second least nonsensical answer.

(The most sensible is "they're fake.")

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Since the M15 frame change. Mythics didn't have an M next to the number before then either.

E: Oreskos Swiftclaw was in the last 8th ed. frame set and in the first current frame set.

It has a C next to the collector's number in the M15 printing that isn't in JOU.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 18, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

NivMizzet posted:

Interestingly, if this does mean can only be cast with colorless mana, it's one of the mechanics from The Great Designer Search 2:

"Thanks for the free designs, loser!" -Rosewater, if Wastes et. al. were real, which they are not.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Reminder text on mythics? It varies.

Sometimes, there's just straight up no need. Nothing Anafenza does is actually that complicated. There's nothing reminder text could clarify on Archangel ofTithes.

More to the point, mechanics do tend to have reminder text.

Yes I know Emrakul and Blightsteel don't have reminder text, but that's because they have a lot of words.

Ulamog and other infect mythic Skittles do have reminder text. Ulamog isn't much wordier than that fake Kozilek up there. Hell, Kozilek probably has menace and flavor text entirely so the fakers could decline to put reminder text for ♦.

The flavor text is especially rotten. Elbrus, the Binding Blade is the one time a card has declined reminder text for flavor text, and it was the reminder text for the evergreen keyword Equip. Which is an entirely different league from declining flavor text for new paradigm-changing mechanic ♦ just so you can make some lovely comment about voids? They've never had a set's brand-new marquee mechanic not have reminder text in favor of flavor text.

And I don't see why they'd start here.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Newlamog skips reminder text for flavour.

He has Indestructible, an evergreen keyword. Everything else is instruction.

This is, hm, how we say, different from costing 8♦♦ and not having reminder text for ♦.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

If colourless lands now produce ♦ what would the reminder text even say? "(♦ can only be paid with ♦)"?

Why would they revolutionize the entire game, forever changing how every colorless mana generator works, to make a few cards in a small set more confusing?

Is my name Cassandra?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It's actually something MaRo has talked about before - adding (1) (colorless mana) to your manapool is completely different to paying (1) (generic mana of any type) to cast a spell, and ideally those two things would not use the same symbol. This is just a good chance to change it to be consistent.

And they would do this in a small set with a marquee card that costs 8♦♦, make a theme that directly opposes Devoid with a marquee card that does nothing for ingest/process?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It doesn't "directly oppose" devoid - all the colorless matters cards from BFZ will be work with the diamond cards in OGW.

Devoid is using colored mana for colorless cards.

If your hypothesis is correct (because Ulamog and Mirrorpool inexplicably lack reminder text (which is one of the many reasons they're fake)) then ♦ cards directly refuse colored mana for colorless cards.

This is direct opposition. One wants colored mana, the other wants colorless. These aren't independent sets, they'll be drafted together.

Wastes is a common though so even if it were real (it's not) then the theme is inherently hosed from a drafting perspective. Say what you will about BFZ's archetype focus, at least you didn't have to draft basic lands instead of spells to enable anything.

Ingest/Process is clearly an Ulamog mechanic

This though... you're right, all the processors and ingesters are Ulamog's lineage.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sarmhan posted:

Mythics are allowed to omit reminder text for space reasons, that isn't evidence that they are fake.

But it has flavor text. Elbrus is the only mythic to omit reminder text for flavor text, except it omitted the reminder text for evergreen keyword Equip. This is two different mythics both omitting reminder text for dubious reasons. Especially when it's a big loving deal like a mana symbol we've never seen before in the card's very casting cost.

Incidentally Snow mana never showed up in a casting cost and Phyrexian mana wasn't at mythic. 22/23 snow mana cards have reminder text, the sole exception being flavor text-less Rhimefeather Owl, and all 34 phyrexian mana cards have reminder text.

Mirrorpool should've been called out because 5 mana and sac is far below what they'd price a land that makes a clone. Christ Foundry of the Consuls costs 1 more to make 2 1/1 fliers, and it didn't also have the ability to Fork.

quote:

Also, devoid and the Diamond/Hedron mana symbol are not at all in opposition if we assume that D means "Pay for this using only colorless mana"- the cards that play off of devoid care about colorless creatures/spells period.

Then why does a land produce ♦?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

You still haven't explained what the reminder text should be. "Use ♦ to cast ♦" doesn't seem necessary at all. If there's a rules update to change 1 to ♦ they aren't just going to randomly add reminder text to everything.

(This card is fake.)

The lack of reminder text to give ♦ meaning is part of why they are fake, because it's ambiguous as hell and this is a really big thing to introduce in the small set.

Like I said, this is a 3rd set problem thing, where one set had to go in a wacky direction to maintain interest, like 5th dawn's WUBRG theme or Saviors cards-in-hand thing. Except Devoid/Ingest/Allies/Landfall/Converge really shouldn't have this problem in a two-set block.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

2. Mana produced by diamond-specific sources (makes sense for the sake of simplicity)

This is the more likely explanation since it's infinitely less dumb

A typeless basic producing it still means its hideously fake though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The issue with them being fake is that the art is new, fits the style of the credited artists well and includes themes that have been hinted at but not directly displayed in other cards. I think the art at least has to be real.

I recall the fable of the Falkreath Embermage. It was an obviously fake piece of poo poo due to its absurd power level, but it used Flames of Undeath's art.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This isn't the first time they've been wrong and had to quietly remove the fakes and hope no one notices!

They're fake!

*begins sinking in quicksand* They're faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Molybdenum posted:

Mods on mtgsalvation also confirmed ideas unbound as an instant and a rare.

They also confirmed From Beyond as just Awakening Zone that makes Scions, and not with the final card's search ability.

I was thinking something just straight-up removed in the last two or three years, but gently caress me if I am going to attempt to look for something that's been memory hole'd.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Remember when they made the set pushing enchantments and forgot to put an enchantress in it until two enchantment-pushing sets later?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

cheetah7071 posted:

This implies there were any pushed enchantments in Theros or Born of the Gods

Remember when they made the set pushing enchantments and forgot to push enchantments?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Elyv posted:

...no? :confused:

Origins had Helm of the Gods, Herald of the Pantheon, Starfield of Nyx, and a Sigil of the Empty Throne reprint. On a lower level were Blightcaster and #Blessed Spirits.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Izzet Signet is making sparks fly, but I'm feeling something spiritual with Orzhov Signet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bugsy posted:

This is cool look at everyone favorite beefcake from origins.

http://originalmagicart.com/art-in-focus-enthralling-victor-by-winona-nelson/

I never noticed before that the sky is giving Victor a halo.

He's just so incredibly sexy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That's the same guy that made 34 rhinos.dec, right?

Makes sense he'd make a helix pinnacle/knowledge pool lock deck, he's insane.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

black potus posted:

i looked up the top 8 decklists expecting to see stock UR twin having won but instead it was jeskai twin!! now i'm very angry that someone played cool cards like restoration angel in modern, please ban splinter twin to keep this from happening again.

Good news! They're definitely going to ban Splinter Twin in the next B/R change. I've seen a lot of pro's talking about it on twitter.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Glad to see "Blue gets access to everything as long as you flavor it as water or thinking" was alive even back then.

Though really the mechanical separation between colors seems to have been mostly keywords and which colors are referenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

So Magic was intended to be a very high-stakes game I take it.

• Locked thread