Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You guys should lobby your lgs or playgroup to do the occasional unsanctioned all proxy legacy or modern events. You can see whether you actually like how a deck plays before dropping bucks on it, or just try a different one every week. Also the try hards stay away.

Our store did all proxy legacy for a few months. It went just about like you would think. The people who never played legacy showed up with their flavor of the week (one dude decided the first deck he would ever play in legacy was Doomsday, I spent the first round showing him how to play his deck after destroying him in under 15 minutes) and promptly get destroyed by those of us who played legacy all the time. It faded away when they realized they couldn't win.

Now the reason they couldn't win is there was no monetary reason to pick a deck and really learn to pilot it. They would just go "WELL THAT DECK SUCKS!!" And print out another one with no idea of how to play it and lose again. I talked to a lot of the guys and they said it was just too frustrating to play a format they didn't know with cards they just hadn't ever seen and make the right decisions.

To be fair they all tried to play combo decks they felt were super-powerful like storm and Renaimator and didn't realize just how fragile those are if you aren't really good at them. The one guy that decided to play delver did alright but just couldn't get the sequencing down and what needs to be countered when in the month he played. I mean 4 times playing does not make you good at a deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Thats a really cool and versatile card

It's loving broken. Bye bye hangarbacks forever and hello seige rhinos bouncing 3 times a turn late game. It also allows you to check spot removal by bouncing your guys.

I'm buying all of them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

6 mana for the first time you use that effect is a ton... It also doesn't protect itself. I don't think it gets there in standard.

You are out of your mind. Abzan will jam 4 of these day 1. 6 mana is nothing in this standard.

Bouncing Nissa every turn
Bouncing seige rhino
Bouncing other people's counter creatures and tokens
Bouncing your Jace for multiple draw triggers

It's an easily abused card.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Rinkles posted:

That doesn't work at all

Yeah I didn't see the tapped line. It doesn't work. The other ones are valid.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I can see eldrazi ramp splashing white to bounce atarka for fun as well after combat,

Rinkles posted:

It also doesn't grant haste, so wouldn't work regardless.

I already said I was wrong.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Another fun yet expensive interaction, cast Hallowed Moonlight, bounce your big dudes. BYE

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Zoness posted:

With your two basic forests?

Actually abzan doesnt even seem to play nissa atm - thats the mono G deck w/ 10 forests playing her from what I can find.

Not all those were just for abzan I should have been more specific. Just bouncing rhino is good enough for them.

There are ways to break this. Some kind of abzan ramp deck that fires off seige rhinos all day. I will end up building one since I have all the pieces but this card.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
McMagics goalposts are odd. Regardless I think this is a good card that has many uses. If one of those same uses is "Eat a murderous cut so my rhino next turn doesn't" that's a drat good use of 3 mana. And that's if you just jam it turn 3. Dropping it turn 6 with a rhino in play is broken. After that turn it's just "attack. Main phase two bounce my rhino twice. 12 point swing WHEEE"

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Elyv posted:

I don't know if Junk is the best place for this card since you'd have to rejigger your manabase to run 8 painlands, which could be a problem in certain matchups and still might not be sufficient. I think that's good enough to test though and also think it might fit somewhere else

It depends on if the next 5 battle lands come out, mana bases will be modern good for the next 3 months of that's the case.

I don't think it will slot right in but there could easily be a rhino/btl/something deck that can be built around this utilization. I think it fits easily into Eldrazi Ramp as a way to machine gun everything with Atarka.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

Channel + this + Thragtusk = infinite life/mana/tokens :getin:

Eat a dick splinter twin.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Irony Be My Shield posted:

OK I've solved OGW standard.
Turn 1: Altar of the Brood
Turn 2: Dork
Turn 3: Frontier Siege
Turn 4: Eldrazi Displacer and Brood Monitor, win the game

That will do it.
I have everything I need but those Flickerdrazis.

Some Numbers posted:

Frontier Siege costs 4.

Turn 2 mana dork gives you 4 on turn 3.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The only thing left is to name the new combo. My first thought is Brood Swings.

Flickerdrazi isn't good enough?

AlternateNu posted:

They're just going to ban everything 9th edition and prior with the exception of any card printed in a Modern Masters set.

Just ban it, blood moon is dumb. It's why I play 3 main board in one of my modern decks. Because gently caress you, that's why.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I'm chiming in late but that story is loving garbage. Jace has magical know stuff and completely ignores Ugin to win. Chandra can burninate Titans and ob and Kiora are nowhere?

I hope they are using this as a set up for the power rangers thought they were so smart blowing up the Titans but now they are free to roam.

Also how did Emrakul leave the plane? Wasn't he bound like the other two?

This set is all kinds of stupid narrative wise.

Edit: also emrakul on innistrad would be dumb as hell. Wtf are werewolves going to do against eldrazi?

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 6, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Cactrot posted:

Well there wasn't an expedition of it so it goes up, up UP!

I'm going to put my set on eBay for 600 and see if anyone is dumb enough to buy them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Entropic posted:

Their mistake was changing cards to use the generic mana symbols for colorless mana. Originally it was distinct, cards like Sol Ring actually said "T: Add two colorless mana to your mana pool." instead of "T: add (2) to your mana pool." They changed it because it scanned a bit better and they figured it would never matter and now they want to do something where it does matter and whoops.

It's really not hard. If people would stop over thinking it it would be easy.

Costs 2 less.

WHICH 2?!? 2 NEW COLORLESS 2 OR 2 OLD COLORLESS 2??? THIS IS SO HARD!!

2 loving generic mana you fucktard.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I loving hate Tron. Although I have never actually seen it win a GP or SCG event. Lots of placing but never winning, I may not be remembering right though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

I've cast Blood Moon at least as many times as Karn... I also don't really think Moon is that great vs Tron. You have so many ways to deal with it.

Crazy talk. The only way with Jund I could even think about beating tron was to TS forst turn, goyf second turn and windmill slam blood moon third turn then Fulminator flashing back Fulminator with K-command all day long until they died.

But usually it went DUURRRRRR Karn, you lose

Which was true but I would make them play that poo poo to the bitter end. I would sit there with no permanents in play and the cards being exiled from my hand every turn and make them find a card to win with just to piss them off. No scooping to Tron ever.

gently caress Tron, ban urzas lands.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

That's cool I switched to burn because gently caress it. I was tired of losing to Tron.

Also they already banned everything that made jund work well. BBE, DRS, punishing fire... All gone.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

This except leave them legal and ban everything from RG Tron. I'm really starting to think Eye of Ugin might need to go now that they're printing all these absurd new Eldrazi in Oath. Turns out Mishra's Workshop is a powerful card, and giving it the ability to tutor is kind of crazy. Who'd have guessed?!

Banning eye of ugin would be fine. But it wouldn't stop the Karn bullshit.

Actually I like eye in the new deck. Mostly because burn doesn't give a poo poo if you summon a giant fatty. All I have to do is count to 20.

Just ban Karn and Emrakul. I hate those cards anyway.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I'm already making a stupid commander deck with nothing but a bajillion mana artifacts and every eldrazi made. It's going to be awful. I'm stoked.

Commander is obviously New Kozilek.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't really happen in standard... Just quit modern.

Counterpoint Jace Vryns Prodigy.

BJPaskoff posted:

Am I the only one so turned off by #mtgfinance that I want to sell my collection and exclusively draft, or even just cube?

When Goyfs spike to 500 for no reason I'm cashing out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

rabidsquid posted:

If you're decent at playing you can basically play MODO for free and it's almost totally devoid of extremely dumb mtg finance stuff. Some cards spike but it's usually because of weird corner cases where they were never circulated much.

Also you can play vintage and legacy way more casually and often. Also you can play 100 card singleton which is a really goofy format.

Hey those of us with 3 legacy decks can play casually. There's just no one to play with anymore

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Brownhat posted:

They also are cantrips, which allow you to find your business spells. Tron would be a much worse deck if the chromatic artifacts didn't exist.

BAN CHROMATIC ARTIFACTS!!!

On a serious note I have an extra eye of Ugin and need another spellskite. Anyone want to do a straight up trade?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Did I miss jace somehow or is he really not in this set.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

Van Meter and Boswell are both very nice dudes. They are doing fine for their first time. They can't all be Cedric and Patrick.

I'm trying to be open minded... But it's more like a GP than SCG at this point. which is not good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

En Fuego posted:

A question that has nothing to do with the commentator chat right now, but would you guys rather have a WWE style announcing crew, or a golf style?

Like, 'OH MAH GAWD HE'S EQUIPPING THE CRANIAL PLATING TO THE ORNITHOPTER! HE'S ATTACKING! SOMEONE GET IN THERE AND STOP THIS!'

Cuz I'd like that

Well Patrick and Cedrick got excited a few times and I would always laugh when they lost it.

This is just boring. Also they keep being wrong.

"Affinity has no way to draw extra cards" like 4 turns after he cast Thoughtcast
"Maybe tom won't cast the second pump and just let this attack as a 5/5" as they are discussing the galvanic blast in response to the first pump. You can't leave it at 5 because it's loving dead if he doesn't save it. Pay attention.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

I can't believe how exciting Modern will be when Stoneforge gets unbanned

It's already spiking in price.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Dehtraen posted:

Going back to standard turnouts...

Once RtR rotated the player base at the store I frequent sharply dropped, going from maxed out 72 player events to 50-ish. By the time Fate dropped we were looking at 30's to low 40's and it has stayed at that since. The store also ran a rotating secondary event for 2 or 3 months which drew more people than standard each time (Legacy, Modern, Draft).

We had massive 80-100 people in standard during RtR. Much smaller now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
This whole thing makes me want to buy a bunch of blue core Chinese proxies indistinguishable from real cards to play with.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Zoness posted:

That's a SBE not a trigger.

No one is going to refute that it's not an SBE it's a replacement effect?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Holy poo poo. I never bought they would kill twin.

I'm stoked. gently caress twin.

Tim to finish building Knightfall combo.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jesus Christ I just realized what Wizards vision for Modern is

It's Yugioh

May you eat the turn 3 Karn for the rest of your loving days

Urzas lands are next.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

You'll just come to hate Tron, then you'll hate on the thing that comes after Tron next.

It's your posting cycle.

Oh I already hate tron it's why I switched from jund to burn.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Niton posted:

Real talk for moment: Please don't pretend that Twin wasn't the first or second thing on everyone's mind when designing a deck and sideboard. The deck had fallen quite a bit from its peak, but the card Splinter Twin is enormously powerful and is capable of dragging players out of completely unreasonable holes.

That was why I hated it so much. I had to plan to play twin all the time. If a steam vents was dropped I had to stop playing for 3 turns to make sure I had removal for one lovely card in order not to automatically lose.

It was format defining. Tron, while lovely, can be fought in a myriad of ways and with decks tuned to ensure the land hate is there it won't dominate the meta like twin did.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yesterday's prelease was good. I went 3-1 with grixis jank backed up by a the Sphinx dude. Also those blue guys that tap a creature for a <> are legit in limited.

I didn't pull anything crazy but my promo was the rw manland so I was happy. Felt good and decided to play the modern master lottery and bought a pack. V-clique, eldrazi temple and foil All is Dust.

Feels good man.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

jassi007 posted:

Banning twin itself doesn't bother me, I don't personally play it, though I have. I'm not boo hooing over my collection value. My issue is what are people who play modern a lot supposed to do? Keep everything? Parse data in December and sell out of the best deck in the format? The whole idea was supposed to be pick a deck and play it indefinitely. I was thinking about selling some staples to get Jund on modo to play more, but who knows what happens next January. Maybe Liliana gets banned. Maybe Karn does. It is weird to consider that being consistently good alone is enough of a crime to get something banned.

Jund is alive after getting 3 mainstay cards banned. It's nowhere near as good but it's alive. And my goyfs lands and lilies are still worth money. UR tempo/control decks will live on after their magic "I win" button got removed.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

jassi007 posted:

Sorry your partner was bad at magic.

Yeah basically this.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jund is a pile of the best cards in the format at any given time, there is no one card to target from it that could kill it because it's all generic goodstuff.

UR Tempo/Control decks were not like that, and depended on their instant speed shenanigans having a potential combo kill to always make the opponent wary. Without that you lose the incentive to play at instant speed because it's really not as strong as what you can do at sorcery in Modern, and the popularity and success of decks with those cards that didn't run Twin during the time it was around should attest.

The only way those decks will be anywhere near effective is if a new instant speed threat becomes a thing, or something on the level of Fact or Fiction finds it's way into Modern.

There is still Kiki-Jiki, there is grixis control which didn't run twin, there are Temur versions that could run without twin. There are plenty of u/r control shells that can slot an additional color or go delver/swiftspear/new flying guy and run a tighter control package.

Removing twin just gets rid of the lovely super combo. It's s good thing. Sorry if your 40 bucks got wasted but DRS hit me the same way and made my deck way less useful and it wasn't an instant win button.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I ordered all the last pieces for all in knight combo. Stuoid birds of paradise. Whatever I'm stoked. Gonna smash some fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Alris posted:

What does your list look like?

Alris posted:

What does your list look like?

4 noble hierarch
4 birds of paradise
4 knight of the reliquary
4 ruin ghost
4 retreat to coralhelm
4 retreat to kazandu
3 supply/demand
1 idyllic tutor
4 remand
4 path to exile
4 windswept Heath
4 flooded strand
2 misty rainforest
3 temple garden
3 hallowed fountain
2 ghost quarter
1 serije refuge
1 rogues passage
2 Forest
2 plains

SB

3 Geist of st traft
3 spellskite
4 leyline of sanctity
3 pithing needle
2 grafdiggers cage

Two combo exist in the deck.
The Knightfall combo and the ruin ghost combo. Ruin ghost requires both enchantments, knight requires just the one.

• Locked thread