Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
This looks pretty goddamned awful; I sure hope its fake. It sure wouldn't convince me to come off of my hiatus from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Sigma-X posted:

For pretty much any mass market game. I'm rather glad they don't shove it in your face, either. Like, it's in the art, but the flavor text isn't AND THEY SAID NO, YOU ARE THE ONES WHO ARE ABOMINATIONS or whatever the gently caress, they just kind of are. I thought the Alesha story was reaaaaalllly fuckin' hamfisted.

(although I haven't read the theros lore so maybe they're super loving obnoxious there)

please explain more about how acknowledging gays or trans people existing is "shoving it in your face"

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
They could draw from the other big legend set, Kamigawa, but market research says it doesn't test well.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Sigma-X posted:

Sure, I agree. There's folks that unironically really like Jace, too, I get that basic / unidimensional mass market characters have appeal and I'd rather have Alesha than not. It's just fine, this magical writing is not endangering people or whatever. It's just poorly excuted and I don't think WotC deserves a pass from criticism just because there's a touchy subject in a particular story. This thread puts their bad writing on blast every week that Jace/Chandra/etc are written badly, and I don't think if they meet Queerio the rectomancer next week that they suddenly get a pass on that story.

I wish it was possible to be critical of some creative endeavor on SA (in this case, praising a better execution, even) without someone trying to loving crucify you for hating the gays / trans / whatever minority was poorly portrayed in the hack art you're criticizing. The actual gay, trans, latina, whatever folks I know in real life are actual, whole people with life goals that aren't Fight Social Perceptions but rather Write a Book, Make A Game, Own A Business, and it bugs me that we're still in gently caress-around MINORITY PROBLEMS 101 land and we have to lavish praise on whatever turd they fart out just because they made this particular shitwizard The "X" One. Especially with a fantasy setting where you can actually portray a post-hatred world and normalize that behavior, at least in some of the goddamn planes, of which there are so loving many. Alesha's story is basically commercialized virtue signaling rather than actual acceptance. I assume it comes out of good-intentioned naivety rather than a cold-hearted market manipulation but it's still everyone's right to demand better.

Which is why I really like Theros dudes because they're clearly huge proud heroes and their being a gay interracial couple has nothing to do with their heroic story in the slightest and in fact it's made clear that the people don't have a problem with that and rallied under their heroism, and that was my original point. More of that, please.

:allears:

Tell me more about how reasonable you are being in this discussion. I'm. All. Ears.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Oh sweet, there are two Black/White Cleric Legendaries with Partner. At last my Black/White Cleric Tribal Commander deck has a proper Commander(s).

• Locked thread