Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
is there a tldr version of the lrcast that just highlights about the high impact limited cards of the set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
wheres the antagonistic companion piece from pat-trick jarret about why leaks hurt

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I'm awful at Magic, started the day out 2-0 then proceeded to punt my next three matches and end up 2-3. Feel bad for the two players I won against because I did not deserve those wins at all and one of them just barely failed to make the cut to top 16. Got some cool rares in my pool for my cube I guess

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 17, 2016

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
SOI will have hyper rare "Helvault Silver" cards that aren't playable in Standard, LOTV will be one of them

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

pls no i can see them doing this

lol if you don't see an accountant at hasbro laughing maniacally while having bfz_revenue.xlsx open on the computer

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Nibble posted:

While this is true, I hope this new storytelling initiative doesn't lead to every single set being "the Gatewatch heads to <plane> where they encounter <threat to the multiverse> and fend them off" ad infinitum.

Considering how hard wizards has been leaning into the "planeswalkers are superheroes" concept lately you probably want to keep your hopes in check

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zoness posted:

Bring back time spiral bolas who at least begrudgingly helped Teferi, not that he wanted to, stupid.

I too want bolas to be an anime schoolgirl who I can add to my anime mtg waifu harem

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: I'll trade for the alternate art anime waifu version when they make them.

This already exists as fanart and is very nsfw

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

But I want it to be official so we can have $500 Jace TMS as a tsundere school girl and her best buddy Lilian the strong Jojo goth, who is $600.

You'll just have to wait for the eventual future block where the GatewatchTM travels to Multiverse-63 where everybody is gender flipped

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I'm bad at magic, can somebody explain to me why Prowess is such a powerful mechanic asides from the obvious text that's written on the card? For example, at pre-release my opponents seemed to be deathly afraid of Stormchaser Mage and would always attempt to burn removal on it as early as possible. In the instances when he lived, though, he never seemed to do much.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Ramos posted:

It's crap in a vacuum but does exceptionally well in limited metas with a lot of instants and sorceries or in constructed tempo decks. The reason why is that it rewards you for what you're were going to do anyway and are often on creatures with stats that with a slight boost can win out on combat situations and push for more damage they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

I see, guess I should look at some Top 8 decks from the past year that feature it heavily.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I JUST GOT THE JOKE ON GIFT OF TUSKS

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zoness posted:

Man reading this Sam Stoddard article makes it even harder to like Ken Nagle.

:smithicide:

I remember when he got to write a mothership article for the first time and it was just a bunch of internet memes. The second article was much more toned down, but since then I haven't seen articles from him very frequently, and probably for good reason.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
117.9c. An alternative cost doesn't change a spell's mana cost, only what its controller has to pay to cast it. Spells and abilities that ask for that spell's mana cost still see the original value.

107.3g All instances of X on an object have the same value at any given time.

The two relevant rules

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
playing fow made me appreciate magic's opaque text boxes with large legible text

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Entropic posted:

OK basically what it really really comes down to is that MTGO should be outsourced to a real software development company.

That worked well for Duels

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Onean posted:

For those of you that stream live MTG or enjoy learning some behind the scenes stuff, Paul from Loading Ready Run did a stream explaining the system he put together that automatically recognizes cards and plugs them in to XSplit to help viewers follow plays.

If you want to see the system in action, it worked spectacularly in their stream of them playing their OGW prerelease decks.

I've been thinking about making a browser plugin that lets you mouse over cards in a stream and pops up an autocard, except I don't have any actual programming skills so this is just a "man that'd be dope" kind of thing

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

this is art

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Most of the Eldrazi deck, except for the manabase, is from one small set. drat.

Also, is everyone else very mildly annoyed by players at their LGS calling colorless mana "Wastes" or "Waste mana"? As in, "Reality Smasher costs four and one Wastes".

no

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
lol at jace's arm going all lesser dog in the animation

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
we bloodborne now

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

That is a dumb as hell name, which is a shame cause Shadows over Innistrad was actually a pretty nice allusion

Market testing showed that our focus groups didn't understand the flavor we built into SOI, so we made them more explicit in EMN

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chamale posted:

That's an interesting idea. It probably would have been balanced, and consequently we wouldn't be seeing it all the time in Eternal like we do with Phyrexian mana now.

Can't they technically perform power level errata on phybrid because the mechanic only exists as rules/reminder text. They've done it before on lifelink, albeit not on purpose.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Jace vs Tammy for the blue planeswalker slot, who's gonna make it

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/697902770095919104

Art is probably back from when they were only going to have one waste in the set. Too bad, cause the art is nice.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

This has the potential to be a very cool product and its so typical of mtg players to immediately dismiss it because WOTC didn't do exactly what they wanted how they wanted.

Every pack could include a real life LOTV who's horny and dying to give you a beezy and people would still complain

I wonder what kind of draft chaff they'll be including to lower the EV though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/699287031331966976
Includes Modern legal cards.

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/699287261863489538
Won't have new cards in it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Well it's a reprint set so it having new card would be quite weird

There's precedent for WOTC to directly print new eternal-legal cards, so somebody probably would have tried to speculate

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Buy a bunch of the 10-card repacks from Dollar Tree and have yourself a grand old time of bulk legacy sealed

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Dumb as gently caress thought experiment: WotC announces a "stock split" and reduces the number of cards in a booster pack while also lowering the price of a booster. Drafts become 4 packs and sealed becomes 8 packs. What should the new rarity distribution be?

For example, if you cut 2 commons and 1 uncommon, and tweak the mythic rate to be 1/10, your sealed pool gains 4 commons, loses 2 uncommons, and gains ~2 rares while keeping the mythic rate approximately the same.

idk why they'd even do something like this, I was just imagining what would happen if draft went up to 4 packs and what would have to happen as a result

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

I mean, there aren't many other simple rarity configurations you could do under the assumption of a 4-booster draft and still maintain the same distribution of card rarity within a Limited pool.

Wizards did try half boosters back during the Alara block, and I'm guessing it failed since I don't see those for sale anymore.

Do you think WotC might eventually be forced to cut the size of a booster when the price of a 15-card booster becomes so expensive casual supermarket buyers stop making those kinds of purchases? Or do you suppose that market demographic isn't large enough where they'd ever have to care?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Conspiracy dipped its toes into that water a little bit. Wouldn't mind the next Conspiracy set to explore that space more.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I still have a bunch of Conspiracy packs, I wish I had people to draft them with :(

I will draft Conspiracy with you

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Actually realtalk if anyone is coming to the event in Philly this weekend and will be around on Sunday I will draft Conspiracy with you. PM me, I have to check my wife's schedule but considering we have plans all day Saturday she'll probably be OK with not spending an afternoon with me :v:

I thought you were SE Michigan but that just might be because of your title text

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/701890260398010368

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But then... who gatewatches the gatewatch?

the invisible hand of #mtgfinance

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Announcing Conspiracy: The Empty Throne!

Set NameConspiracy: The Empty Throne
Number of Cards 221 220

I hope they just keep changing the set name and number of cards every time a thing happens

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Man how would they even do the guild model with a two-set block

edit:

Jaya Ballard posted:

Turns out you can solve any problem by setting it on fire.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

pretty easily since 10 guilds splits into 5 each set

Okay, but would you then have two "big" sets then? How would you draft something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

it would probably be two large sets and you draft them separate, thats what they've done in the past

They only did that because the assumption was that you'd draft all three in DGM. Kinda have a hard time believing they'd make what is essentially two single-set blocks that have no cross-pollination between the two asides from flavor

• Locked thread