Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If the numbering on Mirrorpool is any indicator there's at least 11 lands in the set? Does that seem like too many to be real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Serperoth posted:

Don't small sets have two of each basic land? That's 10 right there already.

I thought only large sets have basic lands.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

dragon enthusiast posted:

2R, sorcery, target land becomes a Waste

Naw, think more spreading seas-style.

◇R
Enchant Land
Enchanted Land loses all abilities and is a Waste.
?Draw a card? (this is too strong in the current environment)

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Up here in Canada we've been having record low FNM turnouts for the past 2 weeks. Tonight was another night where 8 people showed up as opposed to close to 20 normally - I know the US has an excuse for today but has anyone else notices a trend like this?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I had noticed that its a lot of the younger players that weren't showing up, along with the more casual older players.

Maybe its the rising cost of being competitive in standard that's dissuading people recently? Betweeb fetches and walkers people can't afford $300 standard decks.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

$300 is actually cheaper than the cheapest competitive standard deck.

Which is a problem for the health of the game as a whole, I find. I'm a grown rear end man with a good paying job and I still don't want to pay for FlipJace. I've played Atarka Red for 8 months at this point just because it's cheap (and wins a lot still).

How does the price of standard drop from this point? What would drive prices back down where Standard doesn't cost as much as Modern?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Cernunnos posted:

What competitive Standard deck are you playing that only costs $300?

A playset of Jace cost $200+. Gideons cost $80+. Landbases alone run nearly $300.

I'm playing a pile of garbage that cost me a whole $20 since I had the Fetches for a Bant Landbase.

Atarka Red. The only things that cost anything were the fetches and Hangarbacks.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

alansmithee posted:

Delver of Depths-human wizard-U
At the beginning of your upkeep look at the top card of your library. You may reveal that card. If an island was revealed that way, transform Delver of depths
1/1

Gibbering Merfolk-human merfolk
Islandwalk
3/2

Make the front a human merfolk and the back side a 3/3 merfolk mutant with no other abilities. Thats good enough to see play.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Devor posted:

I hope they ship game stores like 400 'wastes', or whatever the new colorless basic is, with the prerelease package.

It's been confirmed that basic land packs are being shipped with the pre-release bundles for each player. I have no doubt that wastes will be included in the pack.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
This change is easily made retro active and opens up a lot of new design space. I for one approve.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
This guy and the RG filterland is landfall X, right?

This guy, RG filterland, tron, and rings of brighthearth is infinite landfall?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Booklegger posted:

Only 1 extra land drop, not multiple.

Oh haha right. This guys trash.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

He's a 4/4 for 4 that lets you explore. That alone passes the Vanilla test..

If you have 2 lands in your hand at turn 4 youve flooded.

Rav and Theros both had 4/4 for 4 with upsides and only 1 of those saw some minor standard constructed play.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Entropic posted:

How many times per turn cycle do you get to untap this guy in two-headed giant?

Yours and theirs, that's all. In commander, however, the more players the more untaps you get.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Both a combo and a non-bo with Skullclamp!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Konstantin posted:

Think the goblin is good enough for Atarka Red? It would be easy to enable Surge, and the effect is relevant. Might be worth trying in the sideboard for the matchups where you take out the combo.

Yes, potentially. It's a solid turn 3 play with another spell, and an amazing rip off of an Abbot. Provided you have another spell in hand he gets even better late game as well, but you really want him to be the second-of-three spells in a turn (Surge enabler, him, then a combat trick to win).

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

GoutPatrol posted:

T1=Goblin Glory Chaser (of Swiftspear if you don't wanna Vorthos your Gobbos.dek)
T2=Dragon Fodder
T3=Hordeling Outburst
T4=Piledriver+New Bushwacker

Even fitting within current Atarka Red:

T1, Swiftspear (Opponent at 19)
T3, Dragon Fodder, (Opponent at 17)
T3, Fiery Impulse or Wild Slash, New Bushwacker (Opponent at 8-10)

One of the key things is that this guy gives your other dudes haste if cast for Surge, meaning you can Fodder + Bushwacker or Abbot + Bushwacker on turn 4 for a pretty great blindside.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Seems pretty bad to me. He does nothing on its own, requires you to play other better colorless fatties, and even then just becomes a vanilla big guy until end of turn.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I've made an entire cube around +1/+1 counters - there's a lot about it that's been done.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Rinkles posted:

Walker Tutor

With inspirational Jace blurb

I can't wait to open this as my pre-release promo along with zero walkers.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Is there any reason the Modern BW Eldrazi deck runs Damnation as opposed to Wrath of God? From what i can tell the deck runs just as much black-producing lands as white-producing lands.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

awesomebrah posted:

E:Whoops I forgot how flip walkers work.

Fortunately all the flip walkers are exiled and enter the battlefield flipped. The oath would work on them.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Didn't see this here, the Reddit exclusive spoiler:

http://imgur.com/uVcdchJ

{2}{W}
Creature — Eldrazi (Rare)
Devoid (this card has no color.)
{2}{C}: Exile another target creature, then return it to the battlefield tapped under its owner's control. ({C} represents colorless mana.)
3/3

So a white Eldrazi. Interesting effectm to nip it in the bud, stuff like Ulamog and the processors don't have ETBs, but triggers on casting.

Edit: Nothing rotates for Oath, next rotation is Shadows over Innistrad.

Edit again: This interferes with flip walkers, kills tokens and bounces Rhino for the next 3 months.

This is a good card. I don't think it quite works in the Modern BW Eldrazi deck (no etb effect, 3 toughness) but it's an option to run over lingering souls. Without Lingering Souls you have the freedom to run Rest in Peace main.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11185&d=263578&f=ST

Holy poo poo you're not kidding, this is sweet

$800 for a standard deck. Christ sake.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I can't wait for every rare I open at the pre-release to be a lovely, narrow, unplayable land or a legendary enchantment that cares about a card type I don't have any of.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Reality Smasher is exactly the value engine we all need (to have 4 of in every deck).

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Just wait until we get hybrid colorless mana in the future. Pay G or D, etc

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Someone stop me from buying the lands for this dumb Eldrazi deck

Eye of Ugin is currently at $27 mid - that alone should tell you not to invest (even though I feel the deck can get by on 2 Eye of Ugins).

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Someone post the mono black eldrazi list. I'm phone posting

You don't want the mono black version. It's garbage.

White brings a lot to the table in Path, RIP, and some tricks in the board.

Plus the one that was run this weekend is extra garbage, you don't want 4 Eye of Ugin and 4 Urborg. 2 of each of those is much better. You also don't want quite as many exiling artifacts as he was running, 5 of Relic/Claws is plenty.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Bonus posted:

I based my list off of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a20KP-ozNTc
I cut the slaughter pacts for a night's whisper and a go for the throat, and added some darkblasts and ruin processors to the sideboard (the ruin processors could very well be wrong).

This deck eats up any kind of midrange deck and laughs at tasigurs, goyfs and snapcasters. The discard gives it game against combo decks, the fetchable ghost quarters give you game against tron. Burn/zoo is tough and so is affinity and merfolk, but they don't feel like unwinnable matchups. You can sometimes draw the wrong half of your deck, but that only matters against decks with a fast clock.

You can splash white or red, but I think the consistency of having 4 urborgs and 4 eye of ugin in the mono black version is the way to go.

Also yeah, Reality Smasher is going to give it extra game against a lot of decks.

Consistency of mono black is one thing, but you lose a lot of other exile abilities and a lot of sub tech if not using white. Also, I really don't agree with running 4 of a legendary land - while it does ensure you get them in an opening grip, drawing a second of either is a dead card entirely. Getting an opening grip of 2 Eyes or 2 Urborbs is a 100% mulligan.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't really get the Eldrazi deck so far. It was pretty cheap since I had a lot of the pieces, but it seems very "Tier 2" to me in that its not a good deck at all if you don't draw Temple, Eye and a Relic and it has a very hard time interacting with what your opponent.

Think of it as Jund with fewer colors. It has a whack of targeted removal, heaps of hand control, and big ol' beaters. The caveat is that you need to be concerned about exiling cards to get the full effect of several creatures, but even then it's not 100% necessary to include that strategy (I can see Strangler and Herder in diminished roles in the deck post OGW).

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Stop calling it Fleshbag Marauder. It's Edict Man - you don't have to sacrifice anything unlike Fleshbag/Executioner.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Angry Grimace posted:

That Processor deck seems okay, but it seems like it would just be better to play playsets of Eldrazi Temple, Eye of Ugin, Urborg Tomb of Yawgmoth and just drop a bunch of Eldrazi Mimics, Thought-Knot Seers and Reality Smashers, and then just run a bunch of cheap disruption and Paths.

I think it's leaning that way right now - a lot of the blight herder/ramp tricks are going out the door in favor of being a stompy midrange deck full of black & white's best disruption.

I still don't think Eye or Urborg should be 4-ofs. You draw dead far too often.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I'm buying in to Reality Smasher so hard right now.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

mcmagic posted:

At 5 bucks preorder? Meh. Even Siege Rhino wasn't worth that.

Just got a playset for $3/ea at Card Kingdom!

e: They've already jacked the price up to $3.99 - I'm making money already!

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Something like this:
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11255&d=263932&f=MO
It's basically incredibly similar only with Lingering Souls, Path to Exile and better sideboard options.

Ya this is a better list than the mono black one. There's been a few spoilers that can replace things like the Blight Herders and maybe even the Ulamog.

Again, I liken the deck to playing Jund with fewer colors.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
That thing is two good cards crammed in to one useless card.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Grasp of Darkness seems like your go-to black removal spell for the future.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

AlternateNu I don't mean to steal your gimmick but Inquisition of Kozilek rose 10% today by their graph and their list of tcgplayer prices has none below $20.

poo poo.

I called my LGS this morning because I'm planning on picking up 2 more inquisitons and was quoted $12/ea at 10am. By the time I came to pick them up at 7pm the price was $25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

superstepa posted:

When you go to a GP, do you just sign in with your DCI number? I registered for GP Vancouver a while ago but I never got anything other than the "thanks for registering" email.

You put your DCI number on your deck reg sheet. If you don't give them a number they can do a name lookup as well.

• Locked thread