Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah and I've already got maybe half the deck. Missing just Serum, fetches, and Twin itself probably.

I think Deceiver Exarch is vaguely expensive too, actually.

E: It's like $3 now so its not as bad as I thought, I thought it was up to like $7 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Yawgmoth posted:

I am so glad you do these because I tried to read the last one and could only get about 5 lines in before closing the browser window and then deleting my history.

Jesus gently caress WotC, you could hire literally anyone with a creative writing degree, pay them $30k/yr, and get better poo poo than this. Hell, you could pick up someone from fanfiction.net who has grammatically correct stories and they'd be better most of the time!

I don't know that the overarching story is really that bad, its mostly the problem that so many of the individual writers are really bad. The Nissa stories written by Kimberly Krienes (she's bad enough I remembered her name) are truly standouts in terms of atrocious, overwrought writing and do an excellent job of making Nissa an eminently hateable character.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

Uncharted Realms quality is super uneven, it ranges from barely edited badly plotted trash to perfectly adequate genre fiction. I actually felt this was closer to the latter, a few bad passages aside.

The decision to write it from first person just comes off as a cover for a lot of really dumb crap like "you don't see a lot of demons on boats" so the writer could plausibly claim it was Ob Nixilis's dumb thoughts and not dumb writing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

These puns are so bad and devoid of humor, I need to give you all a murderous cut. I don't anticipate any problems with doing this, but even the best of plans can go horribly awry. It will take me a while to process what what to do here, but the painful truths of the matter are I have to completely disregard my morality and scour from existence any trace of your puns. So I ask forgiveness for my unnatural aggression and hope none of you turn against me but these puns are a vile aggregate of all things wrong with the forums. So in order to arrest this issue and avoid the grip of desolation caused by bad humour and carry my plan to the utter end I will terminate you all.

I hope this doesn't result in my brutal expulsion.

Sounds like you should take up farming.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

So close, yet so far

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

As far as I know it's not "cheating" even if it works; it's not as though casting the spell into Chalice is an illegal act. Not going to say it isn't a dick move though.

I'm pretty sure there are no legal moves you can make which are considered cheating, although legal moves can occasionally stray into unsportsmanlike conduct or stalling (e.g. activating Sensei's Divining Top 5 times a turn).

NivMizzet posted:

His Tibalt videos from last week were painful to listen because I cringed every time he said Tibalt. I'm curious where he's from, to see if his unique pronunciations are a regional thing or just coming from someone who doesn't care how they sound.

There's actually at least a fair degree of disagreement on the proper pronunciation of the Shakespearean character's name. It's an archaic variant on Theobald, which itself is somewhat archaic.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 30, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Was there any kind of word put out from R&D from the couple of leaks that were supposedly from Oath that popped up a week or so ago. The new basic land, Kozilek, and the other new land? Or were those revealed to be fake?

They're not going to comment on leaks, but Maro's been dancing around it on his blog quite a bit which implies they're real. The most recent Uncharted Realms ended with Kozilek emerging as well.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Maro also wrote two different articles about the leaked Timeshifted card and their lawsuit against rancored_elf.

I really wonder what that lawsuit settled for. WOTC's case was absurdly meritless and Maro's article on it was pretty gross. I can't even fathom what they expected some random dude to pay them (he couldn't even really afford a lawyer, he literally got another MTGS member to just sort of defend him for free).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

If they don't make it into a huge hassle for the guy, even if they don't make money off it, they basically encourage people to do it. If the internet points do not have a significant cost to the leaker, then they'll leak all day errday.

Except what that guy did wasn't even necessarily illegal, they just strong-armed some random dude who couldn't afford to fight back to prove a point, when the actual solution was to figure out who was sending this guy card info and loving fire them. It's gross.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 1, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Eh, Magic plots for the past several blocks have all been "follow planeswalkers around as they fix poo poo" so I don't really care if they slap a (lovely) name on the group. Now if this means we're locked into Jace/Chandra/Nissa/Gideon anytime the Gatewatch is involved, that will be boring and disappointing as gently caress. At least rotate some of the cast members in and out every now and then.

I'm pretty sure Liliana is joining that dumb group. Maybe not in Oath, but she's showing up sooner or later, despite the fact that Sorin explicitly makes more sense as the Black Planeswalker in that group.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

All I'm saying is that this sounds like they're forming the Fairy Tail guild.

(You get an emblem with: "If a creature your opponent controls would die, if that creature is cool and/or hot, gain control of that creature instead.")

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 1, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I feel like they're setting up for Liliana to die or undergo a large shift in character/base color, but that's probably reading much further into UR stories than is sane or reasonable. Maybe she will pop up in Innistrad 2?

It sounds like all of them are in everything now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

I think Lili will show up just because IIRC she has unfinished business with Grizzlebees.

He's dead as gently caress.

Eikre posted:

Color is an attribute of power, not moral value. White is the color of cooperation, not altruism. Black is the color of sacrifice, not malevolence. Putting a manichaeist spin on the color wheel is simplistic pandering horseshit and totally marginalizes an enormous swath of the game's principal aesthetic. A person doing good things can be a detached loner who yearns to do good at a distance, a sneering bon vivant who lends a hand only because it suits his sense of whimsy, or an ambitious jackass who engages in philanthropy only to expand his loyalty base and personal glory, all without taking a step into white. And while they do seem to equivocate on this all the time, the Powers that Are have come out on numerous occasions saying that the color of people's mana doesn't need to match their hats and they've deliberately authored several prominent counterpoints to that fallacy.

The only time we ever got a different perspective on Sorin was that chapter recently where Jace found Ugin hanging out in his sanctum doing whatever. Ugin pretty much said that Sorin's actually quite selfish and self-motivated and his desire to stop the Eldrazi is simply due to his long perspective as a super ancient as gently caress vampire - he does stuff for the greater good because in the very long term it benefits him to not have the Eldrazi free to gently caress up every random plane.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 1, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Are there even Merfolk on Innistrad?

bhsman posted:

Flying vampires that use +1/+1 counters is a very black thing, though?

Yes, the card is perfectly fine in black its just :spergin:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 2, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

If there isn't, the introduction of a Cthulu-esque threat with Merfolk worshippers would be as good of an excuse as any.

Well, I mean DFCs of humans who turn into fish-men thanks to their worship of an reality-traveling, unknowable eldritch abomination overlord makes an awful lot of sense in a set named after Shadow Over Innsmouth, but I don't know if this is too on the nose.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm glad we're moving on to a lovecraft-cribbed block about eldritch abominations, it will be a nice change of pace from the eldrazi

Then again, I almost expect some kind of swerve since naming a dark horror block with such an obvious reference to a Lovecraft novella seems way different than the way WOTC usually operates. I suppose I don't really care what they do so long as they don't gently caress up the block since the setting is really cool.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Grimace's Uncharted Realms Abridged:

"Chandra Fights Eldrazi In a Bathrobe"

* Chandra is standing around thinking of a speech she has to give to some monks because she's now the Abbots of Keral Keep™. She feels guilty because her "friends" are fighting the Eldrazi on Zendikar, despite the fact that none of them are actually her friends except arguably Gideon (the last time she saw Gideon prior to the UR story where he asked her to come to Zendikar, she vaguely threatened to kill him, although she's hardcore tsundere for Gideon.)

* She decides to travel to Zendikar in her ceremonial bathrobe to take a quick gander at what's up. Predictably she shows up at the Battle of Sea Gate. She sees Gideon doing a bunch of poo poo and is like "oh cool I guess poo poo's fine," but then some spawn attack her and ruin her bathrobe. She kills them.

* Chandra decides a "mountain" she saw is actually Ulamog right as she's leaving and she gets all concerned.

* Chandra shows up at her monastery and just wings the speech because she never wrote it and just tells them to go out and do good in the world, which is super mono-red of course. Chandra tells the Monastery Mentor™ that she has a job to do in the world where she can do some real good. The lady gives her poo poo and refuses to let her leave until she's really steeled her resolve to be as mono-red as possible and give in to her sense of duty and use her powers for the forces of good. They have a tearful mono-red goodbye.

* Chandra shows up and sees Bobby Nixon starting poo poo. She shoots fireballs at him and fails. Kozilek arrives almost immediately to ruin poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Shadows over Innistrad sounds like a Shadows over Innsmuth deal... Are we expecting Eldrazi, or Sorin angst (tried and failed to seal them) or both?

Also, Is Nahiri Avacyn?

DFC Humans that turn into Merfolk.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Fishmen are totally in line with Lovecraftian Horror so missing out on this glorious opportunity to print a third Lord of Atlantis more cool cards for my favorite Modern deck will be swell wizards.

But mostly that third Lord of Atlantis

Shadow Over Innsmouth is an HP Lovecraft story about how the townsfolk in Innsmouth are actually worshipers/descendants of C'thulu and its spawn who are born as humans and transform into fish people when they get older.

Madmarker posted:

No what you get is a bunch of cards with walls of incomprehensible text.
For example, Errant Ephemeron:

Great card, but when every card is this complicated, casual players get scared off.

I had a few casual players get upset in BFZ sealed due to random text everywhere, especially Devoid. They simply couldn't fathom why its important or whether they were supposed to keep track of it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Reading cards is cool and fun, but if you have to stop to parse every single card in the pack, it becomes not fun. It's about balance.

This is the problem that entrenched players underestimate by far the most in my experience - you would not believe how much players learning the game hate having to read all the loving cards every single time to figure out what they do.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Next power nine is fun but top sure as hell isnt on it.

Mishras Workshop
Sol Ring
Demonic Tutor
Yawgmoths Will
Necropotence
Tolarian Academy
Mana Crypt
Tinker
Balance

This list is pretty good, but I'd probably take Vampiric Tutor over Balance and I'd be leery of omitting Force of Will even if its a lot more fair in reality than the other cards on the list simply because its function is too important.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Stoneforge Mystic is a pretty random choice for a promo to begin with. Snapcaster Mage as the GP promo makes like 10 times more sense than Stoneforge Mystic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

There's two particular reasons why SFM isn't getting unbanned 1) SFM pretty much obliterates the entire design space for equipment being good ever again, 2) You have to simultaneously ban a non-problematic card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Stoneforge is banned now and they already obliterated that space. At least that way I could play a sword in modern sometimes.

Except you still have to ban Batterskull, which isn't actually a problematic card that sees some level of play. I guess you could ask the question of how broken Batterskull and SFM are at the same time. Part of me wants to say "not that broken" because modern's pretty biased in favor of "unfair combo poo poo."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Stoneforge dies to Bolt. And I don't think anyone is going to make the claim that 1W: put a Batterskull into your hand is particularly broken.

This. gangsines has to use proper punctuation and mcmagic cant use his ellipses any more.

It's not "1W: put a Batterskull into your hand" broken its the combination of "1W: put a Batterskull into your hand" and "1W: put a Batterskull onto the battlefield"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Ok but again, why is a 1 mana 4/5 or 5/5 that comes down on turn 2 ok but a 4/4 vigilance lifelink that comes down turn 3 assuming your opponent doesn't interact with you in any way not? Like what deck can't beat a Batterskull? The only ones I can think of that would suffer from this are Zoo and Burn, and that's definitely a good thing in my book.

A lot of reasons. Turn 2 Tasigur requires you to Thought Scour yourself to happen, Stoneforge Mystic pulls out Batterskulls out of your deck for free, Tasigur dies to everything/Batterskull doesn't, the Batterskull part isn't counterable. The mainboard answer to Batterskull isn't bolt, terminate, Go for the Throat, Cut or anything else that kills Tasigur, its basically just Kolaghan's Command.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Saying that Stoneforge Mystic dies to Bolt is the poster child for why people get pissed off at "dies to removal" even though that argument has its time and place. You get a Batterskull in your hand for free.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fish Of Doom posted:

Dread Return or Sword of the Meek are probably fine.

There's no universe where unbanning Dread Return is a good idea.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

I vaguely remember something about I think Shardless Agent but this is the first I remember hearing about the Port.

We brought it up when it was first seen:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tops for some; miniature Jeskai Banners for others.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't think lsv rage does anything.

I can see the silent rage on his face in bonfire.gif

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I've seen a couple of Modern Junk lists that are running a 1-of Obzedat, Ghost Council. Is there some particular reason to run Ghost Dad over say, Blood Baron (which is invulnerable to virtually every removal spell played in Modern) or even Sigarda (which is just invincible in general).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

The drain breaks stalemates, and it can usually attack into Goyf and Tasigur. And dodging Lili removal is useful. Basically, you can cast it, remove it, and wait until you have untapped lands to provide back-up before it comes back into the fray.

Those aren't irrelevant points for that but it seems like Obzedat can't block and drain at the same time and seems pretty hard to cast.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Wescoe's gone hippie if you haven't seen him recently. So no I doubt his hygiene is better than normal.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yup, ♦ is just the colorless mana symbol confirmed.

Not really sure how expensive Filterland Expeditions will be. They're pretty much limited to being one-ofs in a few decks.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 7, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The only even vaguely legitimate complaint about the colorless symbol is that it's weird as gently caress to implement it in the middle of a block. Kozilek's Channeler can produce mana to cast Kozilek within the same limited environment except you can't actually tell by the card.

I imagine even that is irrelevant.

Also stop getting your hopes up for Enemy Battlelands it's not happening. The other 10 are probably just the manlands.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Niton posted:

If it makes you feel better: Most of the lands widely agreed on to be Magic's most powerful (Fetchlands, Original Duals and Shocks, as well as Battle Lands) do nothing to help you cast any cards with Colorless mana costs, so you will have to change the construction of your mana base to accommodate Colorless cards.

Most lands period don't let you do that, particularly basics. If ♦ cards are actually good there's a decent chance you could see mana bases scaled back from the current 4/5 color super-greed to run painlands.

TheKingofSprings posted:

"just the manlands"

I just mean its the most obvious choice vs. 2 random sets of 5. I don't really give a gently caress about enemy BFZ Duals, though; I'm a lot more interested in enemy Scars fastlands seeing print because those actually see play in Modern and its dumb that, for example, Jund can have Blackcleave Cliffs to Inquisition/Thoughtseize turn 1, but Junk doesn't have a W/B or G/B fastland.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 7, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Niton posted:

That's the point - if they're smart enough to keep {D} evergreen, they've found a way to permanently claw back against the power of 4C/5C manabases.

I guess we'll need to see ♦ cards to know. If Kozilek is the best one, then its probably going to be irrelevant because I'm not sure you'd really want Kozilek over Ulamog most of the time since the deck that runs Ulamog right now is a ramp deck that's almost always behind on board when it casts Ulamog.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 7, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

I swear that says 2015 instead of 2016. And as stated earlier by someone else the white mana symbols look slightly off

It's a foil with a hologram; it's not fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

What if the long awaited reprint of enemy fetches was just the expedition lands and they won't be in shadows or the next fall set?

Tarn $100+?

Fetches with BFZ duals was a disaster the first time around I loving hope not.

• Locked thread