Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I can't be bothered to upload every revision, but there's a line of rules text above the block. We only got what looks like "t be" and then the start of what is likely a c for countered, so likely uncounterable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

It says "You may have (something) Ego enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield except it enters with X additional +1/+1 counters on it."

The X in the mana cost looks much too far to the right, it actually looks like the costs is XUG. But based on what clones are supposed to cost it's probably X1UG or X2UG.

The pieces aren't quite the same/right size. We have another piece which fairly definitively shows a 2 mana symbol.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

Is there no level of REL where this is allowed? Ignoring whether or not players care, me and most of the players I play against at prereleases aren't big enough assholes to disallow renegs

Until the game state changes (e.g. life total change, trigger happens or spell/ability goes on the stack) then you're typically golden to tap and untap your lands till you find a configuration you're happy with.
I'll see if I can find the relevant comp rules section.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm talking about spell 1 already done and resolved but there being no meaningful game state differences by the time you go "shitdamnfuck I tapped my lands wrong"

Yeah, as odiv says, in a tournament, you casting that spell moves past the point you can change it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

mcmagic posted:

If you discard a Madness Sorcery card at instant speed, can you cast it at instant speed for it's Madness cost?

Yes. Just like suspend, you are casting it through an action of an ability, so normal timing restrictions do not apply.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Why does the green gush deck not have a fastbond in it?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I will be very surprised if there is a banning for a card that is premier in a non-Eldrazi deck.

I think Eye of Ugin is the best/"right" ban for the Eldrazi deck, and I could see banning SSG, as it is an effect modern deson't really get (plus it's what opens up potential T2 /T3 kills for decks that have no business being that fast.)

I don't think they ban Mox Opal because whilst it is very powerful, it's constraints are meaningful. It allows Affinity to go over the top a bit easier, but not many other decks get to use it as metalcraft is a real "cost", and it being legendary is a huge downside for a lot of decks that would run it, as they often run it as a land replacement, and multiple Mox draws are pretty awful in those decks. Yes, you can Lotus Petal it, and if you have an Arcbound Ravager it can be sacced to that, but most of the time it is super awkward.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Scientists invent new label for goods which "should be impossible to fake."

quote:

Scientists in Birmingham have invented a new device which they say can differentiate between counterfeit goods and the real thing.
They have come up with a special label which manufacturers attach to a product. It can be read by a smartphone and, they say, should be impossible to fake.
Scientist Mike Le Quelenec is among researchers from across the city who have collaborated on the project called RealTag.

Someone tell WotC, no more chinese fakes!

(Nobody tell WotC, I don't want to have to sit through scanning these during deck checks)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

standard.deviant posted:

It seems much more likely to come up at Regular REL, and the penalty is "please don't do that" followed by "please leave the store" if they persist.

This is correct.

In addition, the two examples given I would flag up with the persons saying them, but if there's casual swearing, I base it on if there are kids in the store, as there generally isn't.
Hell, I swear when I get the "Draw 12 lands and 10 non-lands in a game" bad beats, but I know that if there's someone in store, regardless of if they're playing or not, that it's not appropriate.
We also agreed this with the store manager, as she is of similar mind.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just got my ticket for GPS Manchester, anyone else going? The mat looks decent, Avacyn's Judgement. Sounds like it's selling fast.

Most of the tickets are still available, so I'm trying to hold off till payday, but me and my gf are going, and if I get off my but and write some judge reviews, I might try and sit the L2 exam.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'll post it later when I have the full list to hand, but I'm running a version of Keji Tsumura's superfriends deck that he tweeted.

Mostly 1 of walkers, though I've upped it to 2 Nahiri and Chandra.
Deck is running fairly well, to a point where I'm about 50/50 pre-board against my gf's jund deck, which seems like it's real good also.
Deck has performed great in testing on xmage, as 8 main deck sweepers plus some point removal make the humans decks fairly easy to handle, the biggest problems have been dark dwellers and opposing walkers, both of which my recent tweaks have helped improve matchups.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Here's that Superfriends deck I was talking about earlier, what do people think?

e;

Here's a tappedout link that's maybe a bit easier to read:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/superfriends-for-standard/

I've swapped the maindeck Call the gatewatch for Sarkhan.

mehall fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 16, 2016

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

weirding wood seems kinda just there, tho i'm guessing the allure of turn 4 sorin is strong

It Fixes the mana, draws you a card, and can easily put you from 3 to 5 for a wrath.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

GeneX posted:

To be fair, Avacyn might be the most blatantly pushed for massive constructed play card I've ever seen

I just wish she didn't give herself indestructible.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

5/8ths of the Columbus top 8 this past weekend were bant company. Top 32 had 18 bant company decks. Hoping to see an answer at the pro tour, everyone got all excited for new decks now that fetches are gone and it looks like company is pushing other decks out of the format.

This is great news for me.
Girlfriend was testing a more controlling build of my superfriends deck. I'm not convinced overall, but it shows that a more blue focused one could be relevant, making it easier to have the dispels for CoCo.
TBH, the deck already performs fine against CoCo decks, but a tweak could be in order if nothing comes up at the PT.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I think this is the 75 I'm taking to Game Day:

I've spent a week or so trying to switch from G with WBr to B with UG to give me a better chance against Bant CoCo and Secure the Wastes decks, but I just can't make it work convincingly.
My Bant matchup isn't so bad anyway, and I can now bring in Virulent Plague against Secure. I lose half of my win-cons if tokens are -2/-2, but it's something.
Thoughts?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

13 players at game day. Lost to a creature deck that I shouldn't lose to with 8 wrath and then some more removal, and lost to my gf who is playing R/G Goggles Ramp.

Ended up winning back to back to go from 1-2 to 3-2, and missed top 4 by 0.667 on first tiebreaker. I missed it because my gf ID'ed into the top4. If she had played and won, I would have been in. (But then would have been paired against her anyway.)

Got myself a nice Anguished Unmasking though. Prize Pack was poor.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

keeblerdrow posted:

Yep. Right now, I have, specifically for Kalitas, 4 Transgress the Mind, 2 Infinite Obliteration, 4 Ultimate Price/Oblivion Strike. This is fine, except that I taught the entire store today that Eldrazi Displacer shuts down 2 out of the 3 blow out kills that deck can do. So I need an answer to that too, now. Ultimate Prices won't cut it. Bleh.

I also built my girlfriend a Jeskai Superfriends deck featureing Jace, Chandra, Gideon, and Nahiri. It's just got nothing to do til turn 3, so that's concerning.

Oath of Chandra is a decent 2 drop, and it doubles as removal. O don't think you want more than 2 maindeck though.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Hah, not the type of cheating I was expecting before clicking the link.

My thoughts exactly.

This guy is going out of his way to put all the blame and bad press on Frank.
He makes some pretty personal attacks at the bottom, some of which are pure conjecture. If you're hurt by this dude, blame your now ex-gf, who you already stated has cheated before.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I dunno if he's from outside the US, because at least here in the UK, you'll often hear someone asking for parqcetamol (or maybe ibuprofen if they need an anti-inflammatory more than pain killer), as much as you'd hear someone ask for painkillers in general.

I personally would always ask someone if they had paracetamol.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Back on magic talk, can anyone better than me make a workable legacy list for Barren Glory? Reason why I'm asking is that the old standy by academy rector plus Kaervek's Spite play got a whole lot better when you only needed one copy of Spite in your deck hanks to Dark Petition.

If the list doesnt end up too pricy, I'll likely put it together and play in a few legacy events st GP Manchester with it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Is it weird that Eternal Masters drops in less than a month and we haven't heard anything about it since February? I mean spoilers will have to start soon, right?

Next week I think? Maybe the week after.
1 week for spoilers, 1 week with the full spoiler, then release. That's how supplemental products go.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

C-Euro posted:

When was the last time Wizards dipped into the Future Sight well? Nessian Courser in Theros?

It was supposed to be the big black delve demon for Khans, but then they decided demons weren't on Tarkir.
Then they changed heir mind, but fogot to reprint the FUT card anyway.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

So GP Manchester's main event is capped at 1600 players, isn't that pretty low? I think GP London last year was 4000 or so. I know we now get 2 GPs a year in the UK and London '16 will probably be as big as last year, but I'm pretty sure the Manchester venue would support more.

Anyway, 300 seats or so left according to the Website, so if you mean to go you better book sharpish.

I thin Liverpool last year had a similar cap.

Me and the girlfriend have booked. Though MSA mucked up at first and I've been double charged for my entry, but they're gonna sort that on Friday when their finance manager is back.

What goons are all going? I have little doubt my GF will make a deeper run of the main event than I will, so i will have plenty spare time on the Saturday I reckon.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Seems there will be a Wayne England Tribute Booth at the GP, with his family selling his work and a condolence book, and there will be a memorial tournament for him on the Saturday.

A memorial tournament that costs £20, but every player entered (max 32) gets a Russian Lorwyn booster.
(The top prize is a russian box of lorwyn too.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

PPTQ report:

So me and the gf went to a pptq in Kirkcaldy yesterday, and they got a much higher turnout than they were expecting, at 35 players. (Lots of Scottish events, especially outside the big cities, get around 20 or so.)
I was on my 5-colour superfriends brew, and gf was playing Eldrazi Goggles.

R1 opponent was on G/W stuff. Not the token deck, it felt like G/W superfriends, with den protector for value. I kept a 2 land hand in g1 and got punished by it, not being able to wrath his board until turn 6 or so, which was already too late, g2 went my way pretty perfectly (take the early beats, wrath to stabilise, get some value walkers out, still be on a double-digit life total.) g3 was another kind of non-entity. I played it out fine, but my deck decided not to give me anything proactive the whole time, and he had solid answers for anything I did get, but that's Magic.

R2 I don't remember well, but I know I lost it 1-2, even though after dominating g1, my opponent was convinced he has so unfavoured.

R3 was against the hybrid company/displacer combo deck. He sided out a bunch of the combo bits for more pressure, which I felt was right, but I still brought in a virulent plague just in case. He had thought-knot out of the board, but it never managed to hit enough to push me off my game plan, so I got there, putting me to 1-2

R4 was against a guy who had too much creature removal that he couldn't side it all uot, but my deck drew it up wrong and I always had to be interacting in the form of shambling vent etc, so I was unable to strand cards in his hand for too long. The only thing I felt was a "misplay" all day except from a couple questionable mulligan decisions happened in g3 of this match. I played out a chandra and had the option of cashing her in to wipe his board, or plussing to try and put pressure on him. I played and plussed, then realised it was wrong (but Comp REL, so didn't ask for takesies backsies). He cracked back for 1 short of lethal instead of trying to clear some of my walkers (I had Narset, Chandra and I think it was flip-nissa, but might have been Gideon.) I cast the languish that I had in my hand, which is what made the decision to plus chandra the previous turn relevant as I figured my walkers would fog for me, and then I'd get to clear his board with an extra walker down. In response to the languish though, he sacs his board to flip westvale abbey. I had 6 or so cards in hand, including a second languish and an anguished unmaking, but only had one pain-free source of black mana. I zero chandra to hope I draw declaration in stone or quarantine field, or even a way to chump for a turn, but no joy. I was in too much of a hurry to pressure him, and most people do go after the walkers, but he saw that he could cut off my pain-lands.

R5 Was against a B/W control deck. Game 1 I win in convincing manner, my deck was just better set pre-board to win the sort of grindy match we come to. G2 becomes a real slog, as I don't draw proactive things for turns and turns, meaning he gets to get into the game. I did get down Gideon, and another walker, but by the time I got to pressure him, he got to eventually gets to a new gideon, after killing another one of mine. I'm behind, and the life totals are both high thanks to duelling shambling vents, so I scoop it up to leave some time for g3. (We were at 22 and 27 respectively when I scooped.)

There's about 5 minutes left for g3, so I play in turbo mode, and he gets a bit mana-screwed. I get down oath of gideon for aggression, followed by gideon, followed by Ob Nixilis. He is forced to answer Gideon even though Ob Nix is about to ult, and he is still pinched on mana. I'm playing my fastest, most efficient magic here. He's playing at a sort of average pace, but well enough that I don't want to ask him to hurry, even though I know it's in his favour to play slow. (I thank him after the match for not eating up time.) I get to ult Ob Nix on turn 0 of extra turns, hit him to 15, he draws for the turn (13) and didn't find another land to make his hand live, passes, I draw (11) and play another walker (I think it was Sorin?) and he scoops them up. I'm not certain I had him in time, but Ob Nix emblem alone was going to deal another 6, and I still had a couple tokens.

R6 and I'm well out of contention. I'd had good ties for most of the day, but I'd got dragged as low as 22nd before the final round. I'm up against G/W tokens, which isn't a bad matchup for me, but he gets to run me over in 2 games. He drew 2 or 3 secure the wastes in each game. I once again kept a sketchy 2 lander on the play in g1.
G2 I feel was the low point of my luck all day. I had a hand with evolving wilds, oath of nissa, oath of nissa, oath of nissa, dark petition, chandra, flip-nissa. I get a llanowar wastes off the first oath, which lets me cast the 2nd oath to get a land for the t3 flip-nissa, but I never get to get to 5 mana and use petition to find a virulent plague to lock my opponent down. He was operating on 3 lands as well, but his deck does it better.

Overall, I ended 2-4, but with a couple changes in my luck, feel I could have made the T8.
GF went 4-0, ID, ID, She got unlucky in T8 though. Her ties were a bit clear of the person she ID'd with in R5, but the final round switched it, she was 2nd after the swiss, and got paired up against my R2 opponent, which was an awful match-up for her, made worse by him having a ton of hand attack and infinite obliteration.

I was trying out Sylvan Advocate in my board, and did bring it in a couple times, but never drew it so dunno if it's good for the slot. I'm gonna test Sigarda in that place over the next week before GP Manchester, as I think exiling evolving wilds and Oath's that I cast duplicates of (and excess instants/sorceries once I've got spell mastery) or even dead walkers, to make tokens could be good, but also having protection from late-game hand-attack is relevant in the super-grindy matchups that can come up. If I have 4 cards in hand, but no idea what you're weak to and you get to Transgress me before playing a threat, then I constantly get put on the back-foot. Plus, Sigarda doesn't die to Languish, so she's immune to half my wraths, meaning I can still play them with her on field.

Here's the list I ran yesterday:

e; The thing I forgot to mention is that I honestly feel like this deck is only a card or two away from being really really good. If WotC put even a 6 mana wrath in black in EDM, then I can cut white that Oath of Nissa doesn't fix for, and shift to blue for some permission, as all the cards I have problems with are non-creatures. (Coco, secure, hand attack, etc.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Heh, a bunch of my friends were at that so I was getting updates on it all day. I don't know if you played any of them but I guess one of them was the guy who beat your girlfriend to 1st seed

Do you know who won? Don't see it online.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Some guy called Aaron, BW control

Ta. That's who knocked my gf out of T8 in the quarters.
He's a great player.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

Have you tried adding Hallowed Moonlight to your side-board so end of the turn Secure the Wastes or Collected Companies don't end games.
Also why 4 Planar outburst and only 3 languishes and not the other way around. A board wipe coming down 1 turn earlier seems important.

3 Languish is what I have, which is also why there's a 1-of Flaying Tendrils. My intention is to run 8 wraths.

I was actually saying just earlier today that I should be trying Hallowed Moonlight as an answer to those cards. They're not game over for me, but they are certainly the hardest bit of those decks to deal with. I'm kind of considering shifting some Anguished Unmaknig to the SB for Moonlight's, as they're good in most match-ups.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sickening posted:

Paulo conceding the game instead of going to draw was too classy. Crazy.

Chain had him 4 times in 5 there, and he would had another turn if Paulo hadn't tanked a touch too long on CoCo. He clearly knew when he was beat.

Plus, unintentional draws are bad for your ties.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I really like the work Volkan Baga has done on all the moxen, but I'm torn about whether I want to replace my existing Chrome Moxen with these, as I can't have a full matching set, even if I decided to buy power, the Volkan Baga art is only online.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

FTV art, but having owned two of the FTV: Exiled's, I can confirm it looks good in foil.

I'm sticking with my german Nekropotenz from Ice Age though.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Mana Crypt was a promo that was never in a real set, so it didn't have to be.

It also means every EDH deck is going to be annoying now.

Stony Silence, Null Rod, etc etc etc.

Just punish people for going on these mana rocks. Especially punishing with crypt since they'll continue to take the 3.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

It's a quintessential Cube card, and it'll look amazing in foil.
Feel bads at rare, but imagine the guy who opens two of these in draft, how does he lose?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

odiv posted:

Does anything besides Miracles play Top?

Huge EDH and Cube staple, plus solid play in Vintage. Moreso with Mentor decks recently too.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Completely unnecessary Nevvy's Disk reprint. Wish it had been O-Stone.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jenx posted:

So when Wizards tell me they're selling this poo poo for MSPR of $10 for a booster, which is about three times the price of a normal lottery ticket booster, I kind of expect things to be 3x the potential worth.

You do.
Average expected value of Shadows Over Innistrad: $2.38
That means 3x expected value would be $7.14

The supposedly "terrible in every way" MM15 has an EV of $7.95

Yes, a bunch of it is focused in a few top end cards, but the same is true for Origins (EV $2.33)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jenx posted:

Was MM15 considered terrible or something? I thought it was basically just more of the same with regards to the first MM.

In terms of "value" it's often stated to be terrible.

In terms of drafting, I really enjoyed it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Kraus posted:

The dude with the beard: Are his hands fake? They look fake.

It's because he has long pinky fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

AceClown posted:

Is GP Manchester being covered or is this one of the "we really want MTG to be a premium e-sport so we'll not actually broadcast most of the GP's" deal?

Yup, no GP this weekend is being streamed.

• Locked thread