Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
To answer the logistical concerns, I'm assuming they'll function like snow basics do in coldsnap--you only get the ones you draft. In constructed, you can play however many you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Remember when they made the set pushing enchantments and forgot to put an enchantress in it until two enchantment-pushing sets later?

This implies there were any pushed enchantments in Theros or Born of the Gods

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kizudarake posted:

Would wastes mean it's possible to deal 6 with tribal flames?

Presumably not, because tribal flames counts basic land types, and wastes doesn't have a subtype.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bugsy posted:

This is cool look at everyone favorite beefcake from origins.

http://originalmagicart.com/art-in-focus-enthralling-victor-by-winona-nelson/

Everyone read this

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What's a fair cost for a 0/1 with B: put a +1/+1 counter on ~?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The idea behind simple commons isn't that new players won't ever see stumpers, it's to limit the number they see per pack.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah Maro has said that Nagle's main strength is his ability to think way outside the box. Sometimes the box is there for a reason, though, and it doesn't work out, and then we hear about it and make fun of him.

Also he had a really stupid Phyrexian costume one time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If colorless costs stick around for more than a set, or are good enough to see significant play, it'll be interesting that all of a sudden a whole bunch of old dual lands are now trilands.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

odiv posted:

Look, I bounced your target so your spell fizzles. Why is that so hard to understand!?

Removing fizzling is up there with removing the hand size rule for rules changes I want to and expect to see someday. All spells and abilities should resolve as much as they can, just like spells with multiple targets do when one target disappears.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cernunnos posted:

Spells with multiple targets don't fizzle when one of them is removed/becomes illegal. Only spells with a single target do.

Yes, and I wish single-target spells worked the same way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think that 90+% of the time, when a spell with a single target is countered on resolution but you really wanted it to resolve, the thing you missed out on doing is some form of drawing a card. In that case it's kind of a feature, not a bug-- strategically removing your own dudes to deny your opponent value. Like Remanding your own Cryptic.

And it's good that if you try this trick with Carom, you get a completely different result.

I mean it's not like a huge deal, it's just one of those rules that isn't pulling its weight and I expect to go away someday.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

suicidesteve posted:

Fine WUBRG are generic mana which counts for colorless on almost every single card ever printed you bunch of pedants.

lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Scry is evergreen now, not deciduous.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

black potus posted:

my favorite part of this brand new sixth color is how it has been produced by cards -- by lands even! -- since literally the first set in magic. a ton of foresight there by Richard Channing Garfield, PhD

truly he is one of the great minds of our time

Alpha has no lands that tap for colorless

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gyshall posted:

lovely Bolt - R
Instant
lovely Bolt deals 2 damage to target creature or 3 damage to target player. Exile lovely Bolt.

Worded that way, you cannot cast that spell without a creature on the battlefield.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Leaks are less exciting than official spoilers but every argument Trick made other than that was dumb as hell.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly, the online pokemon TCG does look pretty slick. I think the game is worse than Magic, but not by a huge margin either (at least at the intro deck level, tournament level decks might be different). I wouldn't blame anybody who switched to Pokemon for those reasons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't play magic kids

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No ring?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Wizards has not violated anybody's rights with this decision but it was still pretty fuckheaded.

That said, you shouldn't play magic anyways so wizards is really doing them a favor.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Here's your daily reminder not to play magic.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ban everyone with a DCI number

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The first trigger will move it from exile to the stack. The second trigger will attempt to cast it but fail because it can't find the game object anymore, because it changed zones.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If I understand layers (I probably don't), then it doesn't matter whether the effect is a copy effect--effects that set P/T to specific values always apply before pumps anyways.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Entropic posted:

The layers thing is only when you're copying a whole creature or something, in which case you get the base P/T, because you're copying the creature itself, not any effects that are currently on it. If something references a creature's P/T, it takes whatever that creature's P/T is at the time. Otherwise, e.g. Fling wouldn't work with pump spells.

But, at the time that this continuous effect is applied, that creature's P/T still hasn't been pumped yet, because those pumps are applied in a later layer. Again, assuming I'm not missing something.

Basically:

Layer 7a: Eldrazi Mimic is a 2/1. Hangarback walker is a 0/0
Layer 7b: Hangarback Walker is still a 0/0. Eldrazi Mimic's continuous effect is applied, and it becomes a 0/0
Layer 7c: n/a
Layer 7d: Hangarback walker's counter is applied, and it is now a 1/1. Eldrazi Mimic has no counters, and remains a 0/0.
Layer 7e: n/a

So the final answer is that Hangarback walker is a 1/1 and Eldrazi Mimic is a 0/0. Am I missing something here?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Entropic posted:

Well Eldrazi Mimic has a triggered ability not a continuous effect, for starters.

When another colorless creature enters the battlefield under your control, a triggered ability goes on the stack that says "Set Eldrazi Mimic's base P/T to that creature's P/T until end of turn". When that ability resolves it will use whatever that creature's P/T actually was when it checked during its resolution. Which would include counters and pump effects and anthems and whatever.

Oh that makes sense. It is a continuous effect, but since the effect is created by a triggered ability, not a static ability, it gets to "check" what values to use outside of the layer system (1/1 in my example). Then it uses that same value in layer 7b that it found when the triggered ability resolved, regardless of anything else.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A big flaming stink posted:

It's not a continuous effect. It's a triggered ability

It can be both! A continuous effect is usually created by a spell or ability.

e: "Continuous effect" and "Static ability" are not the same thing

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 29, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
611.1. A continuous effect modifies characteristics of objects, modifies control of objects, or affects
players or the rules of the game, for a fixed or indefinite period.
611.2. A continuous effect may be generated by the resolution of a spell or ability.
611.2a A continuous effect generated by the resolution of a spell or ability lasts as long as stated by
the spell or ability creating it (such as “until end of turn”). If no duration is stated, it lasts until
the end of the game.

Definitely a continuous effect created by the resolution of a triggered ability. I may have been confused by when it would recheck the value it was using in layer 7b, but it IS a continuous effect.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I loving love azure mage and like this card too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Next week's uncharted realms (or maybe the week after, I dunno the release schedule) will have Liliana appear in the story, and spoil Lilinana's oath

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Cardboard Crack is basically Garfield. Unoffensive, but painfully dull.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

What is it with this thread and making Magic sounds like an awful game all the time?

I mean...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Not even the only one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Voyager I posted:

The last one is actually true. When everyone has access to all the tools they will ever need, the answer to any given situation will generally boil down to 'use the correct tool'. It's when people have limited access to the toolbox that they have to start coming up with more inventive solutions to their problems.

That's not why we're making fun of them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

They said I could become anything so I became an anime character

The problem I'm imagining with a new Nahiri card is that her mechanical identity is still almost assuredly "Equipment Matters Planeswalker."

Are you saying you don't think it's cool that Stoneforge Mystic was so powerful they decided to make the progenitor of that school of mysticism an important plot character?

Because it's pretty cool.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That charm is weird as hell.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Konstantin posted:

I don't know why Wizards doesn't push paper pauper...$10 Pauper event decks...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Next will be DCI bans on people who own proxy cubes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FoW in general seems to suffer from being low budget art-wise, but higher-quality anime art is better than magic art because it actually uses bright, interesting colors, instead of a blob of whatever section of the color pie the card belongs to like in mtg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TheKingofSprings posted:

Magic art is the least appealing thing about Magic these days

Let's not go overboard here, there's a lot of bad things about magic.

• Locked thread