Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Gensuki posted:

With people calling this the 6th color, I am reminded of the old 6th color, purple. between red and blue. What are the odds the blue bleed is intentional?

Purple/Green being opposite to each other was meant to highlight the fight between the Natural and the Unnatural, wasn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if some of those old design documents were a part of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Probably a "fixed" all is dust that costs an extra mana or some poo poo.

I could see {4}♦♦, make it interesting.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

GeneX posted:

Jace is honestly not that bad

But yeah Venser was cool and I can't wait for zombie venser the next time we see the phyrexians

i will go so far as to say this:

Jace is (by Magic standards) a decent character at his core, and I think he'd actually make for an enjoyable secondary character if he ever manages to shrug the mantle of the Insufferably Smug Protagonist.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Entropic posted:

Would this really have been overpowered if it didn't ETB tapped?

It'd be a 5 mana clone effect off the top of your deck. That's quite powerful for a land. Even with the clause, it might be good enough as a one-of in certain decks that can recur it.

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 11, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That changes everything re: colorless having no synergy with itself in pack 3 lest you pull a spawning bed.

It's also Constructed, that C cards won't work in Standard unless they are hilariously strong. And Kozilek in tron/MUD I guess. Being a theme in a small set does that.

Dear friend: We have seen, at most, three cards out of all of Oath of the Gatewatch. Within the remaining cards, it is incredibly likely that we will see cards which meaningfully interact not only with colorless cards, but specifically with Ingestors and Processors. Cosi might do poo poo differently, but I think it's a hard sell that he's not able to help a brotha out.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
I have to agree - this is a very, very small functional change, which happens to allow for a new mana type in the casting cost of spells. As soon as people play with it for even a second, i'm sure they'll shut up about how DIFFICULT IT IS, but the projection is absolutely insufferable.

Seriously, nothing will change for any of the cards you currently own.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I didn't watch the announcement, are they making any functional changes to the rules? I guess they have to to make Wastes tap for mana?

The change, as far as I can tell, is "Basic lands without a type tap for {C}". That doesn't actually change any other currently-printed card, but I suspect we'll see a (colorshifted?) Spreading Seas variant that does that.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

clamiam45 posted:

Yeah I like his enthusiasm. I think he comes across as enjoying the game on a different level than any other commentator. Also I'm not bothered at all by his forgetting cards or whatever.

Cedric Phillips is the most enthusiastic commentator, and I don't think it's particularly close. Dude is a fantastic hype man, and i'm sure his heavy interest in pro sports helped make him as good as he is.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think World Breaker could be pretty good as a one-of in the ramp deck. You can find it with your sanctum, and it can act as spot removal for enchantments and as a recurring annoyance for control decks. Having a 7 mana way to trigger Kozilek's Return is also potentially valuable.

World Breaker actually looks like it could find a slot in Tron's sideboard - it can't replace Nature's Claim straight up, but a disenchant effect that you can fetch with with Eye of Ugin is definitely an effect worth looking at.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

Nissa seems pretty terrible, even for three mana. Not sure why you'd ever *really* want new Nissa over old Nissa.

Both of the new PW seem clearly worse than Bobby Nixon and dramatically worse than Gideon. I mean, Nissa's fundamental abilities are the same as Gideon's except dramatically worse even with the difference in CMC taken into account.

Nissa's durdle game is strong, and her -2 does a decent impression of Gideon's -4 in topdeck mode. I can't imagine what would play her currently, but I don't think you can completely write off anything that durdles so well.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Logicblade posted:

World Breaker is a myth. It has a place in my Ruric Thar EDH deck since exiling matters and repeatable exile is even better in that format, but that's about it. Sphinx of the Final Word just screams control finisher, he's pretty good for the mirror, and doesn't die to Languish even. Does he see play immediately or does he need to wait until the cheaper dragons rotate? Kalitas is good against a very certain kind of deck, but when that deck comes to play... whoo boy.

I think World Breaker has potential in Modern and maybe even Legacy. Sure, Newlamog exists, but sometimes you don't have a clean 10 mana, or you might need to search+cast in the same turn. Access to a lower-cost, Sanctum-fetchable answer to a problem artifact or enchantment seems pretty strong!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

GeneX posted:

World breaker costs green, which is somehow probably more of a downside than costing 7 mana, given the decks that would use it

In Modern, R/G tron could certainly support it (though it makes fetching Grove or your Forest a higher priority), and in Legacy, something like John Kassari's 12-post wants Green on the regular anyways for Crop Rotation & Primeval Titan. I don't think it'll be a major player or anything, but I think it could absolutely show up in either of those decks as a role-player.

Niton fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 14, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

It has the potential to be worse than Karn

Karn's largely better, but Karn actually has to resolve and is more difficult to produce on demand.

jassi007 posted:

The problem with him having 6G cmc is unless tron has an available egg, he's a t4 play. You need tron + a green source. It is ok that natural tron + an egg does get you there. Probably not good enough, might be worth fiddling with.

I don't think it'd ever be more than a 1-of, probably in the board, but there's no cards anything like it below 10 CMC, and the difference between 12 and 15 mana to search cast is significant enough that I think it warrants testing.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

BJPaskoff posted:

ITT I'm real salty about mana screw. I feel as though I haven't had a real game of Magic in weeks, just me mulliganing to oblivion. Tonight I lost to Kitesail Scout and friends because it was turn seven and I was stuck on two lands, where drawing a fourth would've gotten me Rising Miasma (I had a Scion) and let me stabilize. It's the worst feeling, and I've decided I'm taking a break until Oath.

Don't feel too bad, it happens to everyone! EspeciallyEven LSV.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

The Shortest Path posted:

Khans standards have been hot loving garbage and I say that as someone who lived through Faeries/Jund/5CC standards back to back to back. Once that block rotates and we have a standard without both fetchduals and Siege loving Rhino I think the platform built off of BFZ for standard will be really interesting.

Presenting the first english spoiler of the Shadows of Innistrad spoiler season:

quote:

Thragrhinoyf 3G

Creature - Rhino Lhurgoyf (Mythic Rare)

Trample

When Thragrhinoyf enters the battlefield, you gain 1 life for each card type among cards in all graveyards.

When Thragrhinoyf leaves the battlefield, put an X/X Beast token on to the battlefield under your control, where X is the number of card types among cards in all graveyards.

4/5

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

GeneX posted:

I'm sorry that you can't appreciate the only good thing Travis Woo has ever made for the magic community. Also I completely forgot he was involved until you reminded me, so :shrug:.

Didn't he ultimately steal the deck from someone else, anyways?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Sickening posted:

Uncommons that go in a lot of competitive decks are usually 1.00 - 2.50.

It's also from a fairly maligned (for drafting) small set.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

The Shortest Path posted:

This is the worst thing.

If Lightning Bolt ever gets reprinted in a standard set again it's going to be a loving mythic.

Nah, they'll just print a Lightning Bolt with some irrelevant set-specific ability, and call it Bolt Lightning.

Bolt Lightning will proceed to push Modern & Legacy Burn over the top, so in the next B&R announcement, they'll.. Ban Lightning Bolt. I can hear it now.

Wizards' R&D "Testers" posted:

For years now, Lightning Bolt has straddled the line between "format staple" and simply overpowered. We've been hesitant to ban it, because it forms the core of many of the format's best decks, but in recent years, it has crowded out competing options for deck space to an unhealthy degree. We hope with this banning to improve deck and metagame diversity, with players opting to use cards like Yet Another Shock, Shock 8: The Ocho, and Bolt Lightning to replace it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Makes a chump blocker, makes creatures bigger, can make your chump blockers bigger. Suddenly all of your plants are big? Seems efficient and fine to me.

Yeah, it's almost like she's becoming the Avenger of Zendikar, or something.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

suicidesteve posted:

This is what I was thinking. The card seems really bad except in that specific deck. It gives the deck a repeatable source of tokens so you can trigger stuff through Anafenza, which is otherwise a huge pain.

Edit: Plus, her -2 with Hangarback in play seems pretty strong.

It's a card which provides tangible (albeit dubious) value while ticking up, and gives you a very good chance to win the game if you ult her. I think the card is deceptively powerful, but in need of a deck designed around using her form of advantage.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Voyager I posted:

I don't play Modern, but Twin doesn't seem all that bad since every time you attempt the combo you risk getting 2-for-1'ed or otherwise hosed over by any form of instant-speed interaction.

It creates very tight restrictions on when and what you can spend your mana on, especially on turns 3 or 4, because you have to respect a blind Exarch into Twin. The part that's so frustrating about Twin is that it's, at its core, a servicable U/R tempo deck that gives up a small bit of power to be able to steal games on the spot. If you were to ban Twin, U/R tempo would still be a very good deck -it might even be better, because some of those concessions are among the most powerful cards in both Legacy and Vintage.

Niton fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 16, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Lancelot posted:

I don't think Twin is overpowered, or needs to be banned. But the fact that it has two very powerful routes to winning the game and is constantly holding one over your head like a sledgehammer if you make the tiniest mistake is why Twin is so good/dominant.

Twin is in a very weird spot - it's the best deck of its type in the format, but it's not the best deck by all that much. Splinter Twin leaving the format would certainly shake things up, but there would still be viable U/R/x tempo decks.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Sickening posted:

Buying 6 copies of kolaghans command from the bulk bin was one of my better purchases.

I'm still kind of amazed that so many people didn't see Kolaghan's Command as obviously amazing. The power level isn't (quite) as high as Cryptic, but every single pair of modes on the card is a beating.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Chamale posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I designed a card almost exactly like this as my dream card. It fits right into Breakfast Burrito, flashback a Haunting Misery with it for a clean targeted kill.

It's also a creature with an Enters the Battlefield effect that allows you to cast Living End (or Restore Balance, etc.) from your graveyard. I have no idea if that's good, but it's definitely kind of hilarious.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Devor posted:

Jim Davis ultimating Ugin, drawing Emrakul, hardcasting Emrakul (instead of putting it into play via the ultimate) to win the SCG Players' Championship

In a world where Slow Play was actually called, Jim Davis would be serving a lengthy DCI suspension. Instead, he is your SCG 2015 Players' Champion. Congratulations, Jim Davis.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Terrible Horse posted:

was that a slowplay joke from Cedric when he said "take as much TIME as you need"

I'm sure it was - Jim Davis is famous for, among other things, taking something like three hours to finish an untimed match earlier this year.

e:

Niton fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 21, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

jassi007 posted:

So a post appeared on reddit stating that most of the l3's and some other judge in the Southeast U.S. region just got DCI suspensions ranging from 3 months to 3 years. The RC or former RC? commented on the thread basically stating it is bullshit. The only thing on WOTC's site seems to really vaguely indicate it had something to do with all the Oath of the Gatewatch leaks.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/statement-concerning-recent-suspensions-2015-12-21

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3xrtyv/most_of_the_l3_judges_in_the_southeast_us_region/

Basically Corporate got mad and demanded bans for absolutely anyone in the entire judge network who could have stopped it, regardless of how reasonable stopping it would have been for them.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Several judges have mentioned that their ban came with no formal notice of investigation, which is a little odd considering some of the accused may have something to say to defend themselves? The reaction's a bit Judge Dredd to me.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

I still think the actual way Madness works is a bit too wonky to come back.

Is there an actual good reason they can't just clean it up a bit? Do they just hate referring to the stack that much?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Consider this as part of the reason the judges recieved suspensions:

Wizards just put up an incredibly passive aggressive spoiler of all of Oath's expeditions titled Never A Wasted Holiday

Wizards posted:

We here at Wizards of the Coast are never ones to waste a holiday. Throughout the magical land of Renton, we celebrate everything—even the most devious ways to deny our own festivities. Though they lay waste to the merry expeditions, we might...

Oh, you get it.

Happy Holidays! And if you haven't had the chance to catch the rest of the Expeditions from Oath of the Gatewatch these last few weeks, here they are in all of their glory:

poo poo like this makes the suspensions look retaliatory for both leaks, which (imo) makes them look even worse.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
To be honest, i'm more excited for the GB land. I'm hoping for like a 1/4 Deathtoucher for 1BG.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Happy Holidays from The Good Gamery!

[x]

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
LSV's smugness also comes from being a 1900+ composite player even when he's not trying. Even when he' doesn't care at all, he's still one of the best players in the world. Can you really blame a guy like that for occasionally feeling superior to his opponents?

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 26, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

a dozen swans posted:

all cubes are at least fine imo (if not 'good'), even 720 shoeboxes or whatever, just because drafting is one of the best ways to play Magic and novel draft formats are fun to experience at least once. like i'm still glad I experienced 3x AVR even if i did lose to the mist raven deck, but OTJ is almost perfect, etc

it's appalling though as a Cube tryhard how little WotC seem to test their changes though, i think they rely on post facto data like "white aggro, red aggro, and blue control are tier one" (real quote)

Cubes are like coffee/tea - good ones are enjoyable, but you really don't want to use the same cube to do multiple drafts in a row.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 27, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Let me be the first to say: Holy poo poo does Support look underwhelming.

Eldrazi cards look sweet, though, especially Spatial Contortion. That card's going to see non-rotating play.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Elyv posted:

I do not think that card is going to see non-rotating play(assuming you mean Modern/Vintage/Legacy). Where does it slot in?

I'm not sure where it slots in, but it hits a sweet spot for both mana cost (2CMC) and versatility (can be used to pump an X/4 if that's relevant to your deck).

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Entropic posted:

I'm still confused by Kor Haven of all things being an expedition. I mean... Kor Haven? Is that even played in any deck in any real format? Is it a Commander thing? Including that thing but not Wasteland is kinda hilarious.

Yeah, it's a commander thing - foil Kor Havens are worth ~$40 atm. Given how flavorful it is for Zendikar, it's not a bad choice.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

man, this Support X mechanic seems so :effort:

it could very well be good, but it feels boring.

Dollars to donuts it said "distribute <x> counters" at some point, then got rebalanced to this.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

JerryLee posted:

I don't think that legends representing a pair of individuals ever comes off looking well, really. You can obviously get away with single-individual legends and you can get away with large unified groups like the ghost council, or even triads who are implied to have something weird going on, like Sen Triplets. But with two characters who are obviously intended to be distinct in terms of individuality, personality, etc. it's like why didn't you just make two cards?

Same deal with Tibor and Lumia, and with Anaxaskasdfjksd and Cymeasdfkmsd the Therosian couple whose name I can't be arsed to look up right now

Anthrax and Cyanide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Yawgmoth posted:

Elspeth is a real name of Scottish origin, that's sort of close to English.

My friend's (adult) sister is named Elspeth. Chandra is also a real name, but not for that complexion.

Freya(lise) isn't that far from a real name.

And Kiora got her original name changed because they accidentally named her after a Maori religious phrase :lol:

• Locked thread