Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deftest
May 7, 2011

EatinCake posted:

Seems like a waste of an opportunity for a sixth mana type if it's strictly Eldrazi based. From a design perspective you wouldn't be able to do much with it for non-eldrazi sets, and overall the pool would just be too small for it to do much elsewhere- just like snow mana.

But with every other set being a "return", there'll be plenty of more design exploration in eldrazi land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deftest
May 7, 2011
Interestingly:

"Wastes" is mostly plural. All other basic lands are singular. (Though, I suppose "the wastes" is arguable)

Also, it's a basic land.. but it has no basic land type? Strange

deftest
May 7, 2011

GeneX posted:

:laffo:

Someone compare it to dealing ecstasy in response please

Just innovate.

deftest
May 7, 2011
New tron that focuses less on consistently assembling the lands early and more on control?

Or maybe just some Kozilek's Return in tron

deftest
May 7, 2011

Entropic posted:

I think we saw those already, but yeah, most boring possible mana-fixing.

Couldn't they at least have been gates? It's oath of the GATEwatch, isn't it?

All I'm saying is, I have an awful lot of promo Maze's Ends

deftest
May 7, 2011

Snacksmaniac posted:

Will this card ever trigger ever?

Of course, right after they spoil new gifts:

Search for 3, opponent puts one in your hand, one in the graveyard, and one in exile

deftest
May 7, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Chandra Preordering at 10 bucks on SCG.

Guess people are that wary of cards with the subtype "Chandra" on them nowadays.

Already sold out...

deftest
May 7, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah someone mentioned this earlier but Fulminator Mage is probably a good thing to get now rather than later if you are thinking of getting them

Okay, which of you bought out starcity + cardkingdom + channelfireball of their 29.99 copies...?

edit: 20 copies just mysteriously appeared on CFB. Alright, LSV... we know it's you.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Kilo147 posted:

It's a bit expensive for me right now, but I love the idea. Definitely going to have to try it out. Did you get a chance to look at those prebuilt decks Card Kingdom sells? Are those rubbish?

Based on your last several posts, you sound like an EDH player at heart.

You'll love it!

deftest
May 7, 2011

Telex posted:

Now I'm at least 40-50% winrate, it's not intimidating and most of the time when I lose it's just because I don't execute properly, not because I drafted a stack of poo poo and I don't know what I'm doing. In an ideal world someone would create a nice pneumonic device with Synergy as a top two or three concept (bombs seem to me to still be the most important in the moment decision and synergy ideas come after once you've at least seen the first round of packs to know either what your opponents are likely trying for or you can try for) but I know for sure it helped me as-is significantly.

This is a good point. BREAD has been around since we had doom blades and terminates.

In the era of 4B sorcery "target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn", perhaps it's time to reevaluate the relative value of "removal".

deftest
May 7, 2011

JerryLee posted:

This is pretty legitimately cool, but is there any explanation for how this lets her cast time warp?

Maybe she paralyzes her enemies with fear. Not so much a "time warp", but a super powerful "falter"

deftest
May 7, 2011
The original (I think):

https://twitter.com/TheProxyGuy/status/689858444560592896

deftest
May 7, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Rest in Peace was actually in RTR, as was Dryad Militant, another obvious gently caress OFF SNAPCASTER card.

Also this [masterpiece/travesty] of flavor text:

They're all about adjusting the previous block's themes in the latest sets. So if new Innistrad is as graveyard-y as old innistrad, we can look forward to good hate in the set after that one.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Zoness posted:

how long until the next inevitably short lived edh variant fad

I think "Canadian Highlander" is still in its Act 3 of fad-dom

deftest
May 7, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Bubbles always pop

I predict the movie completely flops, followed by a major set release that leans too heavily on elements from the movie, and so also flops.

That or a real competitor emerges and does away with the finance aspect without sacrificing any coolitude.

deftest
May 7, 2011
You know what plays well against that eldrazi deck?

deftest
May 7, 2011
Courtesy of Flores & Chapin's podcast today:

Target your reality smasher with a 1 mana kill spell, discard Wilt-Leaf liege to its trigger.

:shepspends:

deftest
May 7, 2011
I know I can hold left and right click at the same time on MTGO to zoom. Is there a way to accomplish that on a laptop with a trackpad?

deftest
May 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Here's a Massdrop for a box of Origins for 82 bucks. Flip Jace is 80 bucks.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/magic-...y%20Promotional

* $82.99 + $5.35 shipping

Really, you'd need a Jace AND a Hangarback Walker

deftest
May 7, 2011
What's all this, then?

https://twitter.com/Wizards_MagicEU/status/704957170002038784

deftest
May 7, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

T1 Land
T2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
T3 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
T4 Arlinn Kord // Arlinn, Embraced by the Moon
T5 Sarkhan Unbroken
T6 Chandra, Flamecaller

:v:

*T1

deftest
May 7, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I still want to make a deck that uses CoCo and Aether Vials to cheat out Talara's Battalion, Myr Superion, and Scaab Ruinators. Any other hard-to-cast monsters under 3CMC that I haven't thought of?

Hmmm...

?

Though, not cheating too hard if you're casting a 4 mana spell for it. I guess the WW is easier?

deftest
May 7, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

As far as I know it goes in priority order, one chance to respond per player, no changing your mind if the person after you decides to not respond.

priority order is technically how these interactions are handled.

In actual practice, however- the players who stand to lose from the effect/spell being cast all confer with one another going "oh no, can't you afford to take the life loss? Please? I'll do you a solid for the next few turns" while the player controlling the effect/spell goes "hey! no canoodling, in priority order, player to my left, will you pay?"

ps: All hail Rob, the red bob!

deftest
May 7, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

I thought Echos were the Expedition equivalent for the set but I've heard nothing verified, just rumors from a dealer and such. Pretty much fancy reprints from the original Innistrad, presumably to reprint Snapcaster, Liliana, maybe stuff like Geist, Griselbrand and the legendary Angels, and maybe just popular/widely used cards like Lingering Souls and Delver for deck pimping. Again, not confirmed and since we've heard nothing so far it may just not happen.

hmm...

They just reprinted Geist. Most of those legendary angels were in the FTV/commander. Griselbrand promo was the last GP one, right? Also weren't snap & lili recent promos for something similar? Seems unlikely we'd get multiple alternate printings for those in such a short window.

Maybe we'll go back to... timespiral block sometime soon and get something like echos. That way they wouldnt' be pinned in to one plane.

deftest
May 7, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

All the ads i've ever seen from WOTC, including ones from the real old days, suggest they have never actually had a budget for marketing

magic is unique in its player retention. They have a disproportionate amount of their profits coming from players who already play their game (compared with other games). I suppose it makes sense that they spend a disproportionately smaller amount on marketing.

That sort of begs the question as to whether they could be X much bigger if only they did bump their marketing. I sometimes wonder whether they've reached their saturation point though. In NYC at least, there are game stores hosting regular magic events in basically every neighborhood. I'm sure they aren't at their absolute cap, but here at least it seems sometimes as though most of the potential magic players are already magic players.

deftest
May 7, 2011
Also goblin piledriver was kicking around standard when it first came out. Definitely made some results before control decks started figuring out the format.

Innistrad/RTR had both zombies and aristocrats, the latter of which maybe was slightly less linear than your average tribal deck... but his lordship Vorthos would have approved.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Isn't the green vessel just better than the blue vessel, barring extremely unlucky misses and the rare case of targeting your opponent? With the green vessel you get a better than average card and 3 cards in the grave that you get a small amount of selection over. With the blue one you get a random card and 3 random cards in the grave. The green one even seems to have a cost that curves better.

Secret blue mill deck in limited.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Entropic posted:

If lots of limited decks are trying to self-mill themselves to turn on Delirium, a mill deck that says "you want cards in your graveyard? OK have ALL the cards in your graveyard" could actually be good if there's the cards for it. It needs a few creatures that mill though, sitting there casting enchantments while they're hitting you with creatures is a race you're unlikely to win.

An uncommon creature, a common enchantment, a bomb rare.

Plenty of the set left to be spoiled. I'm jacing a serious clue about mill being a limited theme here.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

That or they just assumed (I dunno how correctly I'm not an EDH Guy) people would play a bad version of Primeval Titan in EDH.

Not only will this thing get played in EDH, he'll be pretty good. He'll be a giant guy that can block flying commanders AND tutor your best land directly into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deftest
May 7, 2011
Pending unknown environment, all of these seem reasonably constructed playable to me.

There are others, mostly aggro. However, these blue cards seem like solid candidates to live in a jace deck.

• Locked thread