Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mcmagic posted:

What a flavor slam dunk lol

:uhaul: :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i think with push in the format and probe not it is safe to unban twin

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the only way I could see the hour of devastation symbol being plot relevant is if it incorporates the Phyrexian symbol

bolas uses the planar bridge in an attempt to use the Phyrexians as a weapon, Gatewatch interferes, it all goes tits up and Bolas's personal playground of amonkhet gets hosed sideways by Phyrexia

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Almost all of my magic friends are judges and are therefore extremely upset about this. One just came out as trans, which must take tremendous bravery at a time like this.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

uninverted posted:

I don't quite understand the causality there.

Almost every judge i know is, even if not politically engaged, very socially liberal and has a number of LGBT friends.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

Almost every judge I know rushes to volunteer for a billion dollar company. Where does that land on the scale?

They really, really love Magic the game and wish WOTC would pull their heads out of their asses?

We're not WOTC drones. We volunteer (I mean, we do get paid, but come on) because we love the game, we want to make the experience for the players the best it can possibly be, and we want to create a welcoming environment so that everyone can enjoy magic (especially since a small but vocal group of nerds seem intent on making it as exclusive and unwelcoming as possible).

This seems deraily; people were talking about their MTG friends' reactions to <current event>, so I provided mine. I'm not bragging about how wonderfully tolerant judges are, just that they trend socially liberal, and I think a not-insignificant portion of them got into judging to make the scene less toxic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Incitatus posted:

Well gently caress, Walking Ballista spiked. I think I need to pick some up for MUD.

Entropic posted:

Yeah the more I look at the card, the less excited I am about it being anything but a solid Limited card.

The Shortest Path posted:

At first I thought this was better than Triskelion but you can't reanimate it so it kind of just sucks rear end, since Commander infinite combos are what accounts for like 90% of its play.

mcmagic posted:

The MUCH worse Hangerback Walker

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the onslaught block story was awesome for how completely balls out insane it was

there's a goddess made of an angel made of a dude's imagination of his dead wife (and two other women) and her servants are living portals who help her fight against a god-baby and a living city

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

After the "Thugs 'n Bugs" WOTC / Hasbro flipout / apology, I think we're probably going to get "Jeskai Saheeli" or "Four-Color Saheeli"

this was the stupidest nontroversy in the entire world and the fact that it is the reason we now will never see Breakfast Burrito, Copy Cat or Cheerios on coverage makes me really mad

I generally think that accusations that someone is "just looking to be offended" are in bad faith but in this case, man, it's hard to see another angle

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Wait, what is the objection to "Copy Cat" or "Cat Lady"?

They just plain don't do creative deck names anymore. The downside of someone getting offended and complaining has been judged to outweigh the upside of me smirking when the name pops up on coverage.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

black potus posted:

Diverse formats aren't guaranteed bad but boy howdy they sure aren't guaranteed good.

the only perfect format is an empty format, with no one to sin or play magic

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

guys i just moved to an island and have been living here for a month and in that time I have not found myself able to draw more cards, counter more spells or fly

this is worrying, what else are they lying to us about

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I did that all the time back on Oahu. You sure you're actually on an island??

well
when we first moved here I blew my wife's mind by explaining that an island is kind of the peak of an underwater mountain
she genuinely believed that all islands worked like coral atolls or even floated

wait a second... does this mean i can shoot fire??? i will try hastily rummaging around later and let you know how it goes

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

St0rmD posted:

I'm guessing they use some sort of phone app to image-capture the cards and spit out a list.

nope, judges do it all by hand
source: I've done it all by hand a shitload of times

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

????

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

cycling is way better in expensive cards because it reduces the cost of putting them in your deck

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

Shadow of The Grave say 'cards', so I think that means it tracks the cardboard itself and not the game objects?

No, and the reason Madness works is the same reason why this is the case:
"Discarded this turn" is a trait that cards in your yard can have. They become a new object when they change zones; when you discard a card, it moves to your graveyard and becomes a "discarded card." People are confusing two things:
1) the act of discarding a card, a game action that triggers Megrim and similar
2) the trait of having been discarded this turn, a trait that only cards in your graveyard can have and that almost nothing cares about (but now something does).

As the cards arrive in your yard they become cards you discarded this turn. This applies even to madness cards because if you don't cast them they go to your graveyard and gain the trait "discarded this turn." This trait is only gained upon arrival in the yard so it doesn't matter that they went through more than the expected one zone change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Because the process that put them in the yard was the result of a discard. The object becomes a new object, just as it does when you discard a regular card from your hand, but the process that moved the card to your yard was a discard, which is what matters.

Note that if you discarded a card with madness, it was exiled, and you responded to the madness trigger with a pull from eternity, it would not be a card you discarded this turn, because the process that put it in your yard was the result of a resolving card, not a discard.

• Locked thread