Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

At least that was a learning experience for hate cards for last fall's mechanic, since Stony Silence, Ash Zealot, Rest in Peace, Soldier of the Parthenon, and End Hostilities were all good.

BFZ doesn't have any blatant "gently caress you wedges/dragons!" cards, but since "gently caress you wedges!" is kinda hard to do and "gently caress you dragons!" was already in DTK itself I guess they didn't feel the need.

There's basically no way to hate on wedges that won't cause the dreaded ":qq:feel-bads:qq:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

They're going to reprint Ghost Quarter in Shadows.

Which won't do very much, everyone has ~4 basics in their deck anyways.

E: Ghost Quarter is mainly for getting rid of special lands that are really problematic unless dealt with, it's not impossible to disrupt people's with it but it's not easy and often not possible.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 7, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

superstepa posted:

If I'm really bad at sealed would participating in a GP be a bad idea? GP Vancouver is coming up and it's 60 CAD for the sealed event, the promo, the playmat and a $20 side event voucher, so I'm tempted to just skip the OGW prerelease and go to that instead.

As a fellow Canadian who lives 17 hours away from the nearest GP location, gently caress you if you do this thing, go to the GP

E: I parsed that as skipping the GP for the prerelease, sorry, go to the GP

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 8, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

But "programming terminology" in my wizard poker fantasy ruins my immersion :(.

I'm going to push my cryptic command oh no null pointer exception.

Null Pointer sounds like a sweet counterspell name

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

Honestly no one should play Magic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

These are all correct.

Boy I love all-in parasitic mechanics that have negative synergy with the previous set and have 12 cards to work with. 5th Dawn was my favorite set BTW.

Draft blows, who cares, hail our hopefully eternal playable wastelords

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Picture it as the land version of this:

Because that's basically what it is. It also comes down earlier and while it isn't repeatable, it's a helluva lot safer in Standard than a 5 mana 2/2 in Commander

It's also garbage anywhere else where it could be a really, really cool card in vintage/legacy/modern otherwise

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

You know, I am making the same arguments again, and people didn't believe me then either. I think I'll just quietly seethe at the bad mechanic.

I look forward to you :spergin: about it again 2 months from now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm pretty sure this thread is beating the hell out of a position few, if any of us, actually hold.

Everyone in the thread I'm pretty sure understands the mana. It's just a question of whether it gets used for lasting design space or whether it just leaves baggage behind for a dumb flavor throwaway gimmick.

That will depend on how it's received

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

The change, as far as I can tell, is "Basic lands without a type tap for {C}". That doesn't actually change any other currently-printed card, but I suspect we'll see a (colorshifted?) Spreading Seas variant that does that.

1C Spreading Seas sounds like an insane card for Tron/Affinity.

Make it happen :getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cactrot posted:

They aren't printing 1 cmc mana dorks.

Yeah, they want standard to be trash and they're committed to that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Surge seems like a really cool mechanic and I hope at least one eternal playable card comes out of it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ramos posted:

Yeah, particularly with super awesome delve draw cards sitting around, they've probably made sure none of them are too potent. Still, if they could print something to put Jeskai Ascendancy back on the map, standard will get a lot more fun, at least for a short while.

On the other hand they're only around for 3 months. They were apparently really careful about designing stuff to work around Monastery Mentos for the 18 months it was in standard, so I would expect at least a couple of nice cards to play with it before it rotates out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I think it says, "2C, Tap: Draw a card (if you have no cards in hand)"

There's my good KotR card, thanks WoTC ilu

E: oh and affinity I guess, sure, whatever

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 14, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Symphonie posted:

Alleged translation from Reddit:

Mindbreaker Demon - 2BB
Creature - Demon
Flying, Trample
When Mindbreaker Demon enters the battlefield, put the top 4 cards of your library into your graveyard.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have 4 or more card types in your graveyard, gain 4 life (?)

This is powerful as hell but it can't kill and the life gain's not immediate.

I think Siege Rhino's still better but milling Lingering Souls, flying and boosting a Goyf is real

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I think it says, "2C, Tap: Draw a card (if you have no cards in hand)"

No but seriously there isn't even a sorcery speed restriction on this thank you Wizards ilu

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah that's a definite mythic feel bad crack.

As in it's a bad card? I want to open 4 of those, do you not?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Konstantin posted:

Hopefully they print good removal that can deal with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9T8UVY6TDI

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

legoman727 posted:

I thought Chandra might be great, then I read she costs six mana. Jesus christ.

She's still probably just the second or third worst Chandra at least

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

I think World Breaker has potential in Modern and maybe even Legacy. Sure, Newlamog exists, but sometimes you don't have a clean 10 mana, or you might need to search+cast in the same turn. Access to a lower-cost, Sanctum-fetchable answer to a problem artifact or enchantment seems pretty strong!

It has the potential to be worse than Karn

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

I feel like Nissa's being kind of underrated here. Her -2 is a pseudo anthem which could be really sweet along with Gideon anthems in a token based strategy, like maybe Atarka red v:shobon:v.

Yeah, Nissa costs 3 and that alone makes her likely to be anywhere from solid as a sideboard card to amazing and a 4 of standard defining card.

I'm inclined to think it's more towards the latter than the former.

E: it doesn't even die to bolt are the people hating on this card crazy

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 14, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Tibalt confirmed to be the best card ever printed.

Yeah, good old 1RR Tibs

E: it's the first 3cmc planeswalker to unconditionally give card advantage off a +1 please do not underevaluate Nissa

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 14, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nissa's also really good with Hangarback, maybe not as good as Gideon but still

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is anyone concerned about Sphinx of the Last Word? 7 mana seems very achievable now, I feel like blue will get it too good for too long, and also priced out of FNM.

I hope there's a good Mardu deck that can Doom it at least.

You have either already lost when that drops or it's an irrelevant card the control deck wishes dearly was a board wipe at that point in time

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The worst submarine posted:

If Diamond is recognized as a new color I will throw a fit & knock over my bottle

It won't be but for the purpose of casting costs it might as well be

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Considering a 6th color retrofit doesn't really add anything to the game at this point in development I don't really get why anyone is excited by it. I've never understood why anyone is attracted to the notion of Barry's Land outside of Commander though, either, but it's existed as a concept long before Commander was a format.

New things are cool

I am excited for new thing because I am not a BEEP BOOP robot

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The power creep in Khans has gotten stupid

You are legitimately insane

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Perhaps. But it's how I feel. I'm not enjoying the ridiculous mana bases of fetches and duals at once that allow for 4 and 5 color good stuff decks with very little down sides. I'm tired of 4/5 trample lightning helix for 4 mana, I'm tired of Jace (and I use him, and yes I know he is from Origins). Atarka red can legitimately win turn 4, which is ridiculous.

Standard is decently fun, don't get me wrong, but I am hoping that when Khans rotates out it will calm it down a little. BFZ draft is all kinds of fun.

You just listed 2 good cards that are 2/3rds surrounded by a pile of garbage for deck filler

E: Take a break from Standard, go play some Modern or stop playing until the next set comes out, you're at the point where you're bored of Standard

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's quite possible. I took a month off to draft BFZ but we aren't popping at the store for draft recently so I went back to standard. I could go back to modern, playing burn is fun.

I have played standard for longer than its been called standard. And I'm not saying is is the most powerful standard ever, hell it may not be powerful at all and I'm just burnt out on it. That's totally possible.

Full disclosure I started playing in 1993 when I was in Highschool.

You are burnt out, this standard isn't very strong at all

E: it's seriously telling how low power it is that or two fringe modern playable cards centralize everything around them

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJew posted:

Eh, new Jace was a four of in a top 8 deck from the last modern GP, I don't think it's fair to say its fringe modern playable

hell, flip jace is seeing solid play (insofar as any vintage card can be said to be seeing solid play) in mentor control in vintage

I like flip Jace a lot and I've been bullish on it from the start, I hadn't seen many top 8 results so I'm pleased to see it show up in Modern. What deck was it in?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess Treasure Cruise technically isn't playable in modern

It also didn't centralize standard around it, much like Dig.

They were just really solid cards and would've been stronger still if everything around them wasn't completely overcosted, probably to accommodate..

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Is making 0/1s every turn worth 3 mana? You can get 2/2s for 4. Because as far as I can tell both of her relevant abilities are terrible versions of Gideon's, even considering the CMC discount.

For Nissa to be good it seems like you'd need a full on tokens strategy complete with Gideon and Intangible Virtue or something. She protects herself I guess, but she also has a 5 turn windup to a not terribly impressive ultimate.

I don't know. It feels like they should have just reprinted Worldwaker and seen if she got more play in a different environment.

Nissa is really good dude and you are underestimating both of her abilities on a 1GG walker

E: She and Gideon are going to be very strong and very obnoxious together

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

"You are wrong " isn't a take.

yeah but it's accurate

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I wonder how much of a hit Jace takes once Khans rotates and fetches leave standard. He's still good, but reliably filling your graveyard with 2-3 cards by turn 3 or 4 just by playing lands absolutely contributes to his current power level (and his power level in older formats). He risks becoming way more Merfolk Looter and way less Reusable Snapcaster Mage.

Which in a low power graveyard heavy format you probably don't mind much

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Is this the real reason we can't have mana leak anymore :tinfoil:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Leaks aren't journalism because there is no cover-up. There's no secret exposé about the working conditions of goblins on Ravnica, or the water quality on Zendikar, or the climate change on Mirrodin (though that one might have something). Leaks are all things that the public will find out eventually. There's no conspiracy being unraveled, just something new revealed through the theft of intellectual property. That's right, theft. If we didn't give it to you and say "Show this," then you are stealing something from Wizards of the Coast and the Magic community.

Is this for real

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 16, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lancelot posted:

I can't believe no one quoted the best line from Trick (!)'s article

Will they, Trick?

the words of the magic man I do not care about left an indelible impression on my soul

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I recall a goon whom I won't name making the literal argument that people have as much of a right to legacy cards as they do healthcare and that if you support the reserve list you are anti obamacare so while I think this is supposed to be hyperbole I can't tell any more.

Please see Zoness' post and make a Ban Me thread

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

This is the quote in question.

And yes, there is a high a chance something wrong with you if you feel like you need a gun to protect your magic collection at all times.

Also in case you didn't know, the folks who joke about scenarios where they may need to use their weapon are the folks who fantasize about using their weapon. Not the best people to hang around.

TLDR: The only thing worse than a GROGNARD is armed GROGNARDS.

A hahahaha of course it's OssiansFolly

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

still bummed we didn't get 'Black Mana Matters' as our thread title

The time for that was 2 standards ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Seems like a fairly strong card in draft, I hope there are some cool cards showing up it pairs well with

• Locked thread