Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Does anyone else miss Cedric just streaming solo?

He was so fun to watch. Just sitting there chill as gently caress playing Tron while singing Paramore songs like no one was watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Niton posted:

I'm sure it was - Jim Davis is famous for, among other things, taking something like three hours to finish an untimed match earlier this year.

e:

That's just disgusting.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Terrible Horse posted:

lol jumped in a vintage cube, as I'm not a butthurt guy who hates broken cards/lsv.

t1 goblin guide, t3 hero of oxid ridge, lose
t1 goblin guide, t3 hellrider, fireblast, lose

to be fair Im playing a fairly crap ramp/show/breach deck, but still.

Just play mono-smug bro. It seems to be the best strat according to the thread.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Have we ever discussed opinions on the Limited Resources podcast?

I for one love LSV and Marshall

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Apparently Gaby Spartz is now doing official coverage commentating. LSV talks her up but I have never watched her content. Is she any good or are we getting Randy 2.0?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Hellsau posted:

She is far more aware of the game state and the relevant cards and matchups than Randy.

Yay!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lancelot posted:

Gaby will be great. I'm really happy that WotC is making an effort to get new blood in the commentating booth because they really need to push Randy and Rashad out a high window. BDM can stay as long as he's relegated to interviews with Japanese pro players where the translator ends up really confused.

BTW, the LR set review is up. It's nearly 5 hours.

Perfect timing for my 5 hours of flights tomorrow!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Can we agree that the best land is Basic Island?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

GonSmithe posted:

So at Worlds 2005 in NYC, me and my friend did an Urzas sealed event. When it was done I put the cards in the tournament pack box, put them in another box, and basically haven't looked at them since.

I was just going through them again to see if I missed something worth anything, and then I flip to the back where I put the rares. What do I see? Metalworker :getin:

Wow you lucky sod.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

rabidsquid posted:

They're going to make Jeskai Outer Space Jace called Jace is the Place and this whole set is going to be chock full of Sun Ra references actually

For some reason this makes me think of Space Jam but with Jace.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Four Score posted:

HAIL SATAN

Oversided laughing Jake with clear background is great.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Chill la Chill posted:

Run away if you hear anyone mention "rare redrafting." Then nobody keeps rare cards they draft.

Rare-redrafting is actual cancer

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bread Set Jettison posted:

No thread turn left turn left

talk about something less polarizing like, the reserved list

Let's talk about that after Eternal Masters where we can either be really happy or really sad.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
T

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Rare redrafting eternal masters will be poo poo because no matter how hard I try I can't get something on the reserve list. That is basically a time walk IRL.

Time Walk Jettison

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

field balm posted:

Went to a handful of shops today that advertised cash for singles, but were 'currently' only doing store credit. Is this to do with incoming bans/reprints or just a thing that they do to get you in there to take the credit?

Having said that, anyone know a shop in Brisbane Australia that will give me cash? I dont mind taking like 2/3 of the value if its fast.

The only shop I know in Bris is GoodGames and that place does, IIRC, rare redrafting. So you know it's cancer.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

field balm posted:

Yeah this one of the places I went. Rude staffer and basically 0 stock, no odea why they bother.

Hipster douchebags and long time customers keep the place afloat. I was really good mates with a guy, who was in all fairness a hipster douchebag, who moved to Bris and started going there every week. He raved about how great it was because they'd rare redraft so everyone would try to draft the best deck instead of taking the money. Issue is he was an awful drafter and I would point out it would be better for him to take the money; he'd blow it off as not being fair to the good players.

All the really good players were staffers mates who'd just crush drafts and enjoy the money big time.

I had a uni-friend who ended up in Bris for 12 months on a contract and went there to play a few times. He stopped going after he went to a MM draft for fun and opened a Bob; took the Bob then was told after the matches had ended and he went 1-2 that he had to give the Bob up to be rare redrafted. He was pretty annoyed and told me; and I pointed out if they do that poo poo again just to go "ok I drop" and leave, because if he drops the event at anytime he gets to leave with the product he drafted and just forfeits any prizes. He just decided to never go again cause they're dicks. Really surprised they never got reported to WotC for running rare redrafts at what should be sanctioned events like FNM. This was like 3-4 years ago mind so maybe they changed.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Emerson Cod posted:

Rare redrafts can be sanctioned. The rares are considered "tournament materials" and if a player leaves a tournament with them, even if they drop, they can be disqualified. There is a huge gap between what the WPN tells stores they can or can't do and what judges are told can or can't be done at tournaments.

The problem is that Wizards is unwilling to put themselves in the middle of the relationship between players and their clients because they are afraid to expose themselves to potential legal ramifications, not the least of which are taxes and regulation as a sport or, heaven forbid, gambling. It feels like judges needs to have a bit of a savior complex in order to justify the sort of hoops they jump through in order to have a non-lovely local scene or fair compensation.

You can be a great, friendly, by the book judge and suffer because TOs either don't know or don't care what the MTR or IPG says. I saw a good working relationship between a TO and one of the most personable judges in the region fall apart because there was a new player at FNM who potentially cheated. The judge investigated and decided it was unintentional, but suggested to the TO that a DQ was a very real possibility if that sort of thing happened in the future. The TO didn't want to lose potential new customers (or new Magic players for that matter) and said he wouldn't have let him enter the DQ even though the judge was in as head judge at the event.

That's awful but not really surprising; I can see that most TOs and store-owners would prefer to keep business interests over enforcing the rules on a local level.

I'm really disgusted at that rare redraft thing. It is something that is sooooo easy to abuse. The number of times my mate would tell me about how they had this "great" draft where PersonName won with this awesome deck; and PersonName2 came 2nd and both of them are GP players AND store employees who share a collection and then took all the money/playables for them selves and left the bulks for the guys who lost was disgusting. It's like they are raking in the money form the drafters, not letting them take and keep cards that could be worth something to cash in for store credit but rather telling them if they want good prizes they have to win AND THEN having really experienced people play against FNM goers for the easy way to scoop up the good rares that do appear.

I'm honestly not surprised my friend liked it though cause he was a) buddy buddy with a bunch of those guys and b) was willing to vomit money at the shop because it made him popular with said guys.

Brownhat posted:

This is in fact quite wrong. This is from section 2.10 of the Magic Tournament Rules:

"Players who drop during limited events own the cards that they correctly have in their possession at that time. This includes any unopened or partially drafted boosters."

Yeah this is what I was remember as per this blog post http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2013/07/tournament-tuesday-dropping-after-opening-limited-product/.

I'm sure this has been answered before but: what happens if you say open a Oath pack with an expedition and a nice rare in pack 2 and want do drop to secure those cards for yourself? Do you just throw up the hand; call for a judge and say you wish to drop taking your drafted cards, your unopened BFZ pack and your opened pack of Oath with you? What happens to your draft spot then? Do people carry on and just end up with an extra card each?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 24, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Do you mean buying boosters with credit, opening them then selling them or selling them as unopened product cause that will be getting you a poo poo return. You'd be better off e-baying your cards away.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I thought they were the Tempest medallions. If they are moxes that's much cooler.

Fact: Power makes everything better.

Play Vintage Today!

Oh god I sound like Randy Buhler. I just love power guys wow. Did you know if you play a Black Lotus on turn 1 you can go off and win?! AMAZING!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

gonadic io posted:

It doesn't have the same impact without his insanely unbearable voice.

Sif not read it in his voice.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ban Modern instead

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Here comes the 3 legendary multicolored angels v2.0 :getin:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Owen isn't as big an arsehole as he used to be.

And he's still better then Travis loving Woo

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, but Travis Woo is banned from the game. So :shrug:

Wait banned from the game now?

I thought he was just "on indefinite suspension" from CFB for his Hitler/Anti-Jew rant.

And his gross rear end hair and facial hair.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zoness posted:

I don't think the this is the sole incident used to evaluate said poster's mental health.

Owen's a polarizing figure but it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge his talent for the game and effort put into it v:shobon:v

He's cleaned up his act somewhat over the last 6 months or so though. Or however long it has been since The Goyf Incident. That was about where he noticed how much people hated his attitude, took a break from working on CFB for what I imagine was to try and look at an attitude adjustment and came back being a bit more polite and considered. He still is an elitist and that's ok, he deserves to think highly of himself and his friends. But like he isn't moaning in streams or draft videos anymore about being hyper unlucky or his opponents lucking into a good deck while he is stuck in a queue where no one knows how to draft so everyone is getting screwed.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: I suppose it comes with the territory for a children's card game.

He isn't the only pro/streamer to do so though. Even personable people like Ceddy would go on tilt sometimes. It's just Owen would kinda live on tilt. There have been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse then him though.

Anyone remember Andrey Yanyuk?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

rabidsquid posted:

This is actually mostly a problem with the audience. A LOT of magic players, particularly the ones who will read and comment on articles, their first response is "what the gently caress has he ever won?" when somebody writes an article. Seems like a lot of the audience for magic writing would rather read something by somebody who won a tournament then an actually compelling piece of writing.

There have been countless terrible mtg articles for this very reason, and it's not too likely to change. SCG and CFB know who butter their bread

I wish Marshal would write articles and not just post vids.

Vids are great for people like Owen who can't write. Then you get articles by people like Frank Karsten and its like :eng101: MATH BOMB :eng101: and that's awesome.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

sarmhan posted:

What's worse- Magic players who think they can write or Magic players who think they're game designers?

I mean LSV, Patrick Chapin and Michael Jacob are all in the design business now. Kibler has been in it for ages too. They're all OK people.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

rabidsquid posted:

I mean, Kibler designed a terrible game

Two terrible games.

WoW TCG wasn't great.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

sarmhan posted:

Oh yea, I forgot that existed. The common theme in Kibler's design is the awful use of randomness in place of real mechanics.

Ja. I played some Solforge and it was hyper easy to get crushed by the RNG thanks to half the good cards having a random element.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Shadow225 posted:

You mean the literal drug lord?

Ex-drug lord. Do you think he'd be having to design games if he was floating in drug money?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zoness posted:

yes he owns an esports team/organization now :suicide:

He sure does! :downs:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So just watched some VOD of the GP. Gabby and Marshal were a great pair in the booth.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Sealed Leagues make me want to play MTGO again; but then I realise it's like 30 AUD a pop :(

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

little munchkin posted:

Reminder that Hearthstone lets you play limited for 5% of the price that MTGO does.

Yeah you'd think MTGO would be cheaper then paper now days but no.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

rabidsquid posted:

The cheaper version is Magic Duels, which is not really Magic at all but that's what's happening so.

Rinkles posted:

Would there be a big uproar if future sets were no longer redeemable, but mtgo prices went down?

Sickening posted:

If they got rid of redemption and made mtgo cost competitive to hearthstone they might even make more money than they do now while growing interest in the paper side of things.

Of course that would be change that makes sense and not something WOTC likes to do.

Also gotta remember they'd be worried about obsoleting their own product in paper Magic.

Would still totally draft this in a Madness limited environment. Only once kinda sucks but hey I get a 3/2 flyer AND a Madness trigger out of 1B? Sign me up baby.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Balon posted:

As much as I want to see some really really good madness cards, if any of them are free for any reason they could blow out formats. We've learned that free spells will always see play.

RIP Basking Rootwalla reprint

On the other hand we could see a Big Game Hunter functional reprint (I don't think an actual reprint because Human Rebel Assassin seems out of place in an Innistrad set), Dark Withering, we know Fiery Temper is on the way and perhaps Grave Scrabbler or Brain Gorgers as they rather fits the theme.

Turn 2 Heir of Falkenrath into turn 3 Brain Gorgers is a pretty OK agro play in my book. Or even turn 4 Heir hold up 1 and a B so you can Brain Gorgers sacing your Grave Crawler or having the option to pitch Dark Withering for their 4/5 drop is also pretty hot.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Angry Grimace posted:

You can build your deck around Madness effects much easier in constructed though.

I wonder about Vampire tribal support as well given that we've got two mythic vampires already.

Guess what is making a comeback in Randy Buhlers cube build post Shadows release :can:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

JerryLee posted:

Late, but I want Rebels to be a faction in SoI, if only because that opens up the possibility of having a faction of Rebel Angels :devil:

(this is not a serious prediction)

inb4 Rebel Angel, Rebel Demon and Nephilim but the ones from Ravnica :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT