Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
While we're still on page 1, I suggest adding mtggoldfish.com and magic.tcgplayer.com to the list of sites to go to for magic content

And, you know, the actual wizards site

Jen X fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's totally real and someone is losing their job as we speak

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

bhsman posted:

Apologies if this was already brought up, but if the new symbol just means "Must be paid with colorless mana," then doesn't this make the Enemy Painlands, like, really good?

That's a surprisingly interesting solution to the perceived issue of fetches+fetchable duals ruining standard

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Seriously if it really does mean "must be paid with colorless mana" and all colorless sources are errata'd to produce diamond mana (so that the (1) now means "can be paid with any color of mana" and is distinguished from "colorless") it's a good and smart change, since it's unchanged in terms of mana production and will probably be used sparingly at best for costs (for fear of making it a de facto 6th color).

It's functionally identical to a 6th color also, but the freedom from any flavor restrictions opens up a hell of a balancing tool, and it'll hopefully not be overused

This is all assuming it's real, and I'd be more annoyed with Kozilek (sure, let's just give the big guy menace. And a conditional counterspell ability that requires you to have him in play already.) than with the change to colorless mana.

I guess he might theoretically see play in the now-fringe UW or Mono U tron decks? Maybe a sideboard card against a particularly hand disruption heavy jund player?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

oh yeah the standard ramp deck exists

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

My one issue with the idea of using "colorless only" as cost reduction is that it has a good chance to break mana accelaration decks in older formats

I mean, probably not because those tend to actually be prison decks, but still

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Recess Rapist posted:

Before the full spoilers I called my LGS to preorder the full set of five, but they weren't sure how much stock they were getting, so I had to wait.
Then I saw the full spoiler and I couldn't summon any interest at all in buying even a single one of those decks.

I feel like I saved $150. Is this what it's like when you don't buy cards? It feels good. Does anyone read this thread who spends no money on Magic? How good does it feel?

I don't spend money on magic.

I pretty much only play casually because the magic "community" is a nightmare, so I just proxy everything since no one cares.

It feels pretty great to play vintage without spending money, FYI.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

suicidesteve posted:

I don't know who you're playing with but I've hardly had any trouble with anyone in 20+ years. There's a few level 2 judges who come to our store occasionally who are miserable people to play with but that's about it. Aside from that and a few people whining about my playing a little slower than normal in my first few legacy tournaments (Brainstorm is a hard card to resolve!) it's been fine.

I only wish your experience was everyone's. It wasn't mine.

quote:

I can tell you that it feels even better to own the cards.

I'm sure.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

mcmagic posted:

Did you guys see Huey kick my rear end with Storm on stream? That's the only match I lost today though...

Good luck on D2.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Tubgoat posted:

Did not know Urabrask was a lady (or that Melira's a fellow?), that'll teach me to make assumptions about the gender identities of non-gender-binary extra-dimensional beings in the world of Wizard Poker.

Urabrask is a dude. The person you're quoting is somehow innocent enough to not know the meaning of slash fiction.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

He mostly wanted to gently caress over Nissa (and Nahiri), which is a very sympathetic reason

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

Just play Doomsday and be a prick to everyone.

doomsday is the coolest deck in all of magic though

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

People vastly underrate cost-reductions in general

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is no-banlist Affinity better than no-banlist Jeskai Ascendancy? Doing No Holds Barred Modern in a few weeks and forgot about the couple of weeks I had to deal with that deck.

Play hypergenesis instead

E: Hahaha

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Why does the stoneforge mystic have a staff that looks like a petrified snake, and no actual forges in the art

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Let me try to sum up the arguments:

It's good because (1) means different things on non-basic lands/artifact ramp (you get 1 mana that is colorless and cannot be used to pay for colored costs) and on everything else (you may pay for this without regard to where the hell the mana comes from.) You don't have to use (1) to pay for (1) costs, unlike with every other mana symbol in the game, and that's weird. Also, it restricts tge power of decks running no cards that make colorless mana, which helps weaken fetchlands, possibly significantly.

It's bad because it is essentially a 6th color for cost purposes. That's weird as hell for reasons ranging from a lack of mechanical identity for colorless things to powerlevel concerns for such pillars of fair magic (this is sarcasm) as shops, tron, 12-post etc. Also it involves an absolute ton of errata.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Kelly Digges is a legitimately good writer

That's not quite true for many other WotC authors

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Jace is honestly not that bad

But yeah Venser was cool and I can't wait for zombie venser the next time we see the phyrexians

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Note: the official notation is {C}, not {D}.

Kozilek looks like he should have been a blue card, and the menace is adorable

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Pretend colorless is purple mana and it's incredibly easy to understand

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oh, hi non-land upheaval with upside.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I don't see anything there that's gonna change 4-c standard

except eldrazi ramp is terrifying now

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Abzan is one of like 5 rotating best decks.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Niton posted:

I think World Breaker has potential in Modern and maybe even Legacy. Sure, Newlamog exists, but sometimes you don't have a clean 10 mana, or you might need to search+cast in the same turn. Access to a lower-cost, Sanctum-fetchable answer to a problem artifact or enchantment seems pretty strong!

World breaker costs green, which is somehow probably more of a downside than costing 7 mana, given the decks that would use it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Zoness posted:

R/G Tron almost always has access to green, considering that the root of its consistency is Ancient Stirrings and Sylvan Scrying and that it plays 4 grove,4 sphere, 4 star, and 4 map. World Breaker's casting cost isn't going to be what keeps it out of modern.

That said, World Breaker has a very hard time competing with any of the current Eye of Ugin targets in Tron, but its ability to handle two onboard inkmoths in one turn might let it see some play. It is essentially way more likely to see standard play than modern play since it's at a casting cost where it could hit the board in standard, isn't competing with more powerful effects at different costs, and standard is a format where its recursion ability is likely to be somewhat relevant.

It can't be cast by the three tron pieces alone, which is a hilarious situation, because the optimal draw for the deck that is most likely to want to use it is completely unable to cast it on whatever you could refer to as tron's curve. It's even more ridiculous that the barrier isn't the humongous mana cost but the single green.

the point is that tron is a very dumb deck. Fun, but dumb

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Chamale posted:

I gotta agree with Sigma-X that diamond cards don't excite me yet. So far, every card with a diamond in its cost is just blue by another name. We have countering, cloning, and card draw, which are all blue effects. Where's the new designs?

To be fair, Mirrorpool also stole Red's spell copying thing, and menace is red/black.

I 100% agree that, right now, with the little we know, C is just blue by another name/cost. I don't think we can quite say that it's only that, since we know so little about it, but I'll be extremely disappointed if it's just "hey for one set we've decided to try very hard to siphon off all of blue's stuff and put it on colorless things".

Kozilek I can give a pass to; at least for card draw, that is, since he cast opportunity when you stuck him in before. The countering part is completely stupid, however, and makes me pessimistic regarding how WotC will be approaching colorless design space. It feels like the process that went into him was "Kozilek is the smart eldrazi, blue is smart, so give him blue stuff. Also, give him menace because he's scary :downs:"

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Look, it's step 1 to the return of OmniDoor ThragFire, the third greatest standard deck since Caw Blade (the 2 mill-wincondition control decks are the best.)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Can we go back to pretending Travis Woo doesn't exist and never has?

I'm sorry that you can't appreciate the only good thing Travis Woo has ever made for the magic community. Also I completely forgot he was involved until you reminded me, so :shrug:.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Maybe we should take a deep breath and realize that we haven't even seen the rares in this set, and are arguing in circles about power level in a vaccuum?

I don't personally plan to take nissa as my only posession when this planet finally gets sick and tired of us and decides to kill everyone who doesn't escape, in rickety spacecraft, to the small mars colony built only 20 years before, you know? Much better to take calciform pools. That's a drat dependable card, that is.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Alris posted:

Does Origins Jace have a place outside of Standard? Is its price likely to drop once he rotates? Should I bite the bullet and grab some asap? Is my hatred for that stupid card justified?

Yes, to some degree but not as much as people might assume, depends on if you're playing a blue deck, and not while we exist in a world where abzan has been either the bsst deck (last standard) or one of the best decks for more than a year.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Speculating on Jace's power post-rotation is way, way too early. It might be better to have looting for longer in SOI standard, it might not!

No one knows, so the only real thing we can say is that jace is easier to flip with fetchlands than without. We don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing for his playability.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hellsau posted:

maybe they're just moving away from us really fast

I appreciated this joke.

Also, for the guy who didn't know Han dies: Luke is dying, Leia's got cancer, and [insert vader analogue name here] is actually Boba Fett spray painted black.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Ettin posted:

Ha ha, this is what I get for checking the mod queue when I wake up. :hurr:

Not really gonna check whether spoilers are fake in the future though so

Wait he actually reported it

Holy poo poo

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oh my god the power armor at the end of the space set

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

On the one hand, sure, the eldrazi titans are colorless.

On the other hand, if they weren't, Ulamog would be G, and Kozilek would be U, maybe UB.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

People play buddyfight?

2hg is a common prerelease option, so in my experience, a bunch of people do play buddyfight. :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Weird would have been "untaps only on your opponent's untap step."

This is just good.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oh no, not being unable to officiate wizard cards for 3 months; that's the worst punishment ever!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Zoness posted:

This part does seem kind of important though. I assume it also refers to previous leaks like the Chandra from Origins that got posted to mtgs.

It's pretty probable that the ban is, essentially, "look. You didn't actively do anything wrong, and we're giving you the lightest punishment we can, but it's come to our attention that this isn't the first leak you guys have been privy to/knew the leaker, and witholding that info is a big enough deal that we want to send a message."

If it's that, then I think it's a fair suspension, all things considered. If it's just for Kozilek and Wastes, it's a huge overreaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The most skill testing magic card is doomsday...if you don't have a guide open next to you/haven't spent 3 days memorizing every scenario's choice

• Locked thread