Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If the diamond symbol means "Spend only colorless mana on this" then I can believe that spoiler. It would make sense as an Eldrazi mechanic and would work with the 9 colorless lands in BFZ and the random one thrown in each other set in standard.

I'd imagine if that were the case, they'd have reminder text on Kozilek saying that, somewhat similar to how phyrexian mana cards had reminder text, though it's not a perfect analog. Wizards loves extreme hand holding.

edit:

BJPaskoff posted:

They sometimes don't put reminder text on mythics.
oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
The cards are real.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
The lowercase "a" in Emrakul's annihilator ability always pissed me off.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
PV being completely unable to comprehend how diamond mana works on twitter, even after having it painstakingly explained over and over, is: funny.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Zoness posted:

I mean it's all speculation because there's not really strong evidence, hopes aside, for whether diamond mana is

1. Mana produced by any colorless-only source (makes sense wrt backwards compatibility)

2. Mana produced by diamond-specific sources (makes sense for the sake of simplicity)

Yeah, he's unable to comprehend why 1) makes any sense, though, when it's trivially easy to understand conceptually.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Summit Prowler still a fine limited card.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

So basically like Legendary Cube. (It's really, really bad. It's the Timmiest of Timmy Cubes in an actively boring way).

I love legendary cube because 5-color is the best deck, it's easy to draft, and no one applies pressure before turn 5.

edit

Static Equilibrium posted:

In sum, I'm a terrible drafter so Legendary Cube is definitely my kind of turd.
also this

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 23, 2015

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Boco_T posted:

Today's Saffron Olive video is either trolling or he's getting to Kevin Crimin levels of not reading the cards or even attempting to pronounce them correctly. Match 2 in the Emeria deck video features "Sky Husser" vs. "Sierra Ascendant."

Reminds me of Paul Cheon not knowing how to pronounce "bestow", which he kept saying beast-ow (like, "ow" that hurts) on streams.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

little munchkin posted:

I never really understood the whole problem with complexity until someone I was drafting with said to me "do you ever just not play a card because it's got too many words and can't figure out what it does?". I asked what card it was and said I could probably explain it to them. She showed me Abbot of Keral Keep and I was like oh that card is a bomb you should definitely play it.

A friend of mine passed me an Inferno Titan in M12 draft for that reason.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Serperoth posted:

Someone posted this on Tumblr yesterday.

It isn't perfect, but dang, I wish I'd done this first.

I don't get it.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Terrible Horse posted:

I didn't get it either and "knows famous penny arcade panels" or whatever is a pretty niche prerequisite for a joke.

edit: also "asking the on-call nurse where a room is" isnt really the same as Opposition, and "doctor regretfully explaining what happened" isn't Browbeat. I give this a 1/10

Also, the fetus died, not the mother. 0/10

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Hope they print a Mishra's Wasteshop, that taps for ♦♦♦ and can only be spent to cast colourless spells.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

jassi007 posted:

artifacts are colorless. This would be better than Mishra's Workshop. A land that tapped for 3 that you could use in vintage shops decks, legacy MUD, modern affinity and Tron. Unless you mean spells as in instants and sorceries, not spells in general.

I meant what I wrote and I know it would be a miles better version of Mishra's Workshop (colored-artifact corner cases notwithstanding, which basically don't exist outside of Slash Panther and Metamorph or whatever). I just wanted to type Wasteshop and didn't think someone would take the suggestion of printing a better version of a $900 card seriously.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sigma-X posted:

So the Mul Daya twins let you do the following:

Get double landfall in any turn.
Get an extra two mana out of two untapped lands, pushing you from 4 to 6 (return the land, replay it, tap for mana) without needing a 5th/6th land in your hand.
Are on curve as a 4/4 for 4
Double dip on spell lands

I don't think they're going to set the world on fire but they do A LOT for a single card, and that flexibility is a bit of value in an of itself.

If it did the thing you say it does but that it doesn't do, it would be a lot better, yeah.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Just saw the original design he made that eventually became Brimaz. 3WWW 3/3 that can tap down non-white creatures for 3WWW, when it deals combat damage to a player, sac it and put 300 1/1s into play lol.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Randy's great though.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

stinkles1112 posted:

I would be really, really surprised if Wastes shows up in any sets after this one that aren't another Return to Zen set. Colorless mana costs are likely to show up about as much as hybrid mana; very occasionally and with specific reasons for doing so.

Jesus I remember almost this exact same argument happening for weeks when Ravnica came out.

It's not about opening up design space, although it does do that to a degree. The fundamental point of this change is obviously to separate colorless mana production from generic mana costs, which is a smart and good change. It looks better and makes more sense. It's not in any way a "pseudo sixth color" unless you consider artifacts to be the sixth color. If anything it helps RESTRICT color bleed by allowing WOTC to print disincentives for dummy 4c and 5c goodstuffs decks

I mean if you wanna say that printing a run of cards in one set that require colorless mana to be cast is a bad dumb mechanic then fine but that's just, like, your opinion, man. There's nothing objectively bad about it.

Edit: to put it a different way, the answer to the question "what can a creature that costs 1GB do differently than a creature that costs ♦GB?" the answer isn't just nothing, but emphatically nothing. A ♦GB creature INSISTS on being only green and black, it steadfastly refuses to be red, white or blue. Again, ♦ costs are reinforcing the five color paradigm, not distorting it.

I generally agree with you that the people flipping out over this are largely being huge babies, but your edit is misleading -- as others have pointed out. While a ♦GB creature steadfastly refuses to be red, white, or blue, it is more than being "only" green and black. It is green, black, and colorless now. It will be as hard to cast as a WGB creature would be in an Abzan deck (and harder than a 1GB creature would be in a GB deck). That is still a meaningful difference -- and could conceivably lead to ♦GB creatures being designed slightly differently than 1GB creatures in ways we haven't considered yet.

At the very least, the restrictions on your ability to cast ♦BG cards absolutely liken it to being a pseudo 6th color.

edit: a cool thing is now the painlands are untapped trilands.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 9, 2015

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

AlternateNu posted:

That is basically what Fiery Impulse is. They're never going to do a one-mana 3 damage instant that has the creature/player option.

I slam my head against the table every time I look at the Fiery Impulse in my digital hand and remember for the 1,000th time that it can't go to my opponent's face.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

3 damage to creature or player for 2 cmc is also too powerful for current standard. Let that sink in.

Yeah I was about to add, Jace recurring Searing Spears would be the new Snapcaster + Bolt and Standard would collapse on itself.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

What they are doing it for isn't the point. They should be able to make a living wage at that job that they are very good at.

It's not even close to a full time job, and I'm not sure what being very good at a thing has to do with whether one should be able to make a living wage doing it.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I wonder how much of a hit Jace takes once Khans rotates and fetches leave standard. He's still good, but reliably filling your graveyard with 2-3 cards by turn 3 or 4 just by playing lands absolutely contributes to his current power level (and his power level in older formats). He risks becoming way more Merfolk Looter and way less Reusable Snapcaster Mage.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Posting to say I, too, got the red shift joke, haha

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

rabidsquid posted:

Madmarker are you suggesting you cannot see the cards if they aren't moving. Are you a reverse tyrannosaurus

Isn't this just regular tyrannosaurus?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: Lands are the primary resource and mechanic for this game so they should be in front. Also helps to prevent your opponent from cheating with them as easily.

Yeah makes sense that you'd want the game's primary resource and mechanic as far away from you as possible

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What I imagine happening in the next five or so years is that Hasbro/Stockholders pressure WOTC to continue the insanely high sales and growth trends of the past five years and as reaching sales figures becomes a greater and greater focus game design starts making short term decisions and the quality starts dropping. Players leave, design doubles down on the next gimmick to try and make their numbers, feedback loop, death.

It will be really interesting to see the sales figures for the last couple of sets, anecdotal evidence shows a significant drop.

That's my "How is MTG going to die" fanfiction, thanks for reading.

What % of Hasbro income comes from Wizards?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Irony Be My Shield posted:

An absolute tonne of BFZ has been opened due to expeditions.

Source?

edit: that untap guy is really cool. suck it, diamond mana haters.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Caleb (best non-Pro Tour content creator) with some fun Legacy ban list thought experiments.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-legacy-ban-list-what-should-change/

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Helene is cool. Good post-which-should-have-been-the-first-post on the matter.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Hellsau posted:

Most of the rest of WotC's efforts are at or below the bare minimum - having someone high up on the tournament organization totem pole who can act and speak like a human being who is competent at their job is more than I've come to expect. Helene is great compared to everyone around her.

Yeah basically this. She's the only public facing Wizards employee who appears to have functioning ears and knows how to use them.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Cernunnos posted:

Force of Will is this-a-way.

'Dunno about eurogames though.

Took one look at the card art and couldn't close the thread fast enough :\

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
always be capitalists

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
On the flip side, Wizards paying their programmers poo poo ensures that the best talent gravitates to companies like Amazon, Microsoft, and Google, who actually produce things that matter in the IRL, so society is better off.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Rinkles posted:

How are you going to attend a prerelease otherwise?

Forget my DCI every time I go then get a new one.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

also this kind of editing is passive-aggressive bullshit, make a new post so i don't have to rely on other people to quote it to know you responded to me

lmfbo "passive-aggressive bullshit", did someone poo poo in your christmas stocking?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

i never would have saw it if rabidsquid hadn't quoted it, i don't think you can get more passive-aggressive then responding to someone in a way specifically meant to not alert them

lol if you don't think that when people do that it's just out of laziness or habit, and not out of some deliberate attempt to deceive a stranger on the internet.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

editing isn't any harder then quoting, and if it's a habit its a bad one

it's just weird that your instinct is jumping to assume that it was done as an extremely lame and unnecessary "gotcha" when it's something that people do all over these dang forums (without a hint of passive-aggressiveness).

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Terrible Horse posted:

I was playing as smuggly as i could but hey, variance is part of the game. Sometimes cards that do damage just beat smugness.

Haha, well, you win some ya loose some

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Terrible Horse posted:

By the way, I didn't think it was possible but this art is even worse than Origins

Yeah, agreed.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I've enjoyed grinding Jeskai black matches in modo standard leagues these last few weeks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
While the original incarnation with Mantis Rider and Dig's felt powerful if clunky -- and had a surprising number of matches where I felt I was always on the precipice of just folding if I didn't draw just right or get my mana sequenced absolutely perfectly -- the versions with Monastery Mentor + Treasure Cruise feel almost unfair in comparison. I never feel like a dog and just spend matches grinding people to utter dust under a pile of value, cards, and monk tokens. Love standard!

• Locked thread