Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Zoness posted:

Just because it's better than the rest of the dreck doesn't mean it's actually good.

Also that's really rude to the lsv article.

I like LSV's articles but they tend to either be decks that have been written about in greater detail elsewhere, or lower-tier decks with his pet card of the moment

Anyway, Maro's experiments with literary form and suchlike tend to fall flat, but he does have a good understanding of game design and he is very open about the game's design philosophy and process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Zoness posted:

They're like snow basics - you have to draft them into your deck, they rotate with the format, and you can play however many you want in a deck.

But are they legal in Momir Basic

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

Is there any reason they couldn't errata Relentless Rats or Shadowborn Apostle to have a "Basic Creature -- " typeline?

I guess you could come up with convoluted scenarios where it would actually functionally change something, like if you cast Cytoshape on an animated man-land and made it a copy of Relentless Rats, it would no longer be targetable by Sowing Salt.

They could do but they don't want to because it's disingenuous to describe creatures with rules text as "basic"

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
My enjoyment of the Official Magic Fiction was improved by the fact that I mentally replace the word flicker with fucker in all Magic-related contexts

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

That isn't saying much the commentary on the super leagues is MISERABLE. Who the hell does Randy have pictures of?

considering they were Randy's baby, apparently not enough good commentators

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just got linked to this infographic and it's the first time I've notice that Windswept Heath is the least valuable fetch, when I was sure it was going to be Bloodstained Mire. Since it's in Abzan, I find this pretty surprising, can anyone explain?

It was in the last Clash Pack

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ramos posted:

So is it going to be:

1. Humans are too strong and the black side of Avacyn's programming kicks in.

2. Avacyn saw Emrakul and proceeded to go insane.

3. Avacyn is missing again and this is a false doppelganger.

4. Other.

There was an Official Magic Fiction a while back where Avacyn found out she was created by Sorin so it's probably more "gently caress you, vampire dad"

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Zoness posted:

To be fair he used to be a really good player.

He has like a 1900+ limited rating on MTGO, sure he's not going to be winning the PT any time soon but realistically neither is LSV

Also look at pictures of him from back of the day, he is a great role model for de-gooning

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

I actually do think that we're hugely unlikely to ever see a Planeswalker reprint in Standard, just because of how the creative department thinks. We had started only getting new versions even in Core Sets and now we don't even have Core Sets.

I think there won't be many planeswalker reprints; they are generally the face of the sets, create a lot of hype, and can often define Standard; but I think LotV is exciting enough (and flavour-neutral enough) to get past that.

Imagine if for SoI Wizards started showing Tibalt in key art, write him into the story, reveal his new card art...and then it's a reprint.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

And the article argued it should stay because it didn't have to sideboard, interactive deck that it is. I think "get hosed" was the appropriate intellectual level to counter on.

The point is not that Twin didn't need to sideboard, it's that you didn't need specific anti-Twin cards in your board in the same way as eg Affinity. It's basically a continuation of his argument that Modern should have 20-card sideboards; I don't know if it's correct, but it's at least consistent.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Spreading wastes would be awesome.

the thing is being a Wastes doesn't have any rules meaning so the templating would be horrible

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

A bunch of people insisted Scry 1 lands were not playable period.

I really have no idea how good Battlelands are in a world without fetches. They seem playable but kind of bad.

They're really bad on their own and unless SOI has great duals we're going to enter the Spring Of lovely Mana

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I think SOI has to have allied lands, probably ones that can come in untapped on turn 1. As it stands allied colours will have ETBT lands and battlelands (basically just ETBT with fetchlands gone), while enemy colours have painlands and manlands; painlands are obviously good with C, while manlands are just straight up better than ETBT.

I could see the second set having the checklands though

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
LSV drafting a deck consisting entirely of Zada's Commandos and Saddleback Lagacs

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Shuhei shuffling the cards around keeps messing with the stream quality

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

I missed the start of LSV's draft, did Mina and Denn make it round to him?

Yeah, he started RW, picked up a speculative Lagac 4th pick and then in the next two packs got another Lagac and M&D

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

LightReaper posted:

Ian duke: "Just to be clear, he definitely took the envoy?"
bdm: "Yeah"
me: :argh:

haha they missed it the second time too

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
They didn't pick it up on the commentary but Luis got the win there by assigning all the combat damage to the Cutthroat so Jacob didn't get the extra death trigger which would have put him at 1.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Now I think about it he might not have had enough power to kill them both anyway

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't remember the whole board but it sounds like the Canadian messed it up a bit, should gave got more Cutthroat triggers at least. I know LSV wasn't threatening trample from the twins,

From memory I think it was:

I think Wilson put the 2/2s on the 3/2, the 3/4 on the 5/4 and sacced the scion before damage. I think he could have survived at 4 with better blocks but he was pretty dead anyway.

Also apparently LSV lost to Shuhei's garbage deck already

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
haha LSV named "Griselbrand Enraged" with pithing needle

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

JerryLee posted:

I think Wizards should no joke take a good, long look at printing Force of Will into modern.

As a bonus, it's a great troll of people who don't understand FoW's relationship with fair decks, as we see in this thread whenever the possibility gets raised and someone chimes in about how it's too powerful for Standard.

Force of Will is in a similar spot, where many people believe it is only good in degenerate formats where the card disadvantage is less important. That really isn't true. Putting a card like that in Standard, when you can tap out for a planeswalker, rest assured you have a free way to protect it, and then be able to untap and protect it further, is incredibly powerful. This is just not a card that we are willing to put into Standard, since it would require us warping the entire format around the card—something that I don't think is worthwhile for any one card. I wouldn't expect this to be in a Standard-legal set any time in the near future, barring wayward buses or a radical shift in the direction we want to move Standard toward.

literally yesterday

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Rinkles posted:

lsv a win away from top 8

coverage team panicking that they won't be able to find a replacement for top 8 commentary

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The thing is, in Standard FoW actually has a mana cost; you can keep FoW up when you cast your big threat, but then when you untap you can hardcast it. You're not going to be forcing on turn 1 in Standard.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
This is a really good game

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
That's a gut shot alright

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
finally LSV gets to be on the other side of bonfire.gif

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
LSV and Paul are going to get paired in the last round

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ramos posted:

What is Magnus Lantto running exactly? I see Death's Shadow and Lightning Helix.

Suicide Zoo

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

lockdar posted:

They already played eachother so it can't happen...

That was in Limited

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Proposed goon competition: guess the reverse-side names of the leaked SoI cards, and possibly roughly what they do

trick question, they all flip into Jace

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Shuhei paying 3 cards and 4 life to kill a Reality Smasher

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

You mean because it applies to basically the people who played in the PT and not anyone else?

maybe for Americans but in cool and good countries the WMC is an attainable goal

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

That moon doesn't look oblong at all

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

it will own if this means blood moon functional reprint that turns non-basics into wastes

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Didn't Kenny come up with phrexian mana?

No, that was a late replacement for one of Ken's wacky ideas

e: I think it was the BFM mechanic

Barry Shitpeas fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 8, 2016

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Most of the Phyrexian mana sticks to the artifact colour pie, which is fine. Misstep, Mutagenic Growth and Dismember are the problematic ones. Dismember isn't particularly degenerate, but it is the most efficient black removal despite not actually requiring black.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

The line for "too good" is much higher than many people in this thread view it as if we're calling a perfectly fine card like Dismember too good.

As I said, I don't think it's degenerate, although I think it's fair to say that having access to an efficient removal spell was pretty useful for the Eldrazi decks. It's too good in that it does something black is supposed to be the best at better than any actual black spell

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Voyager I posted:

I'm not sure how fair it is to say it's better than black removal given that decks that have access to in-color removal generally don't run it. 4 life is a very relevant cost that does impose meaningful limits on how the card can be used.

It's true that decks that actually run black generally have Terminate or Abrupt Decay instead, but it is ahead of any mono-black option: Disfigure, Doom Blade, &c. I think it's interesting to consider whether B, kicker 1B, -5/-5, lose 4 life unless kicked would be playable, but that is essentially the bar that any mono-B removal spell has to clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Jace and Liliana as Mulder and Scully

• Locked thread