Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Serperoth posted:

Eternal scratched that itch for me, even though I haven't proper played it in a week or two due to other stuff going on.

I tried Eternal and remember it being pretty good, but it didn't get its hooks in me for whatever reason. Also, even if the mechanics are on par with Magic, the flavor and art of these games never are. They all have really bland generic rendered looking art and names like "Gunslinger Zombie" and "Healer Elf"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
he threw up on himself and they still went to the waffle house

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

waffle house is perfect drunk food

not arguing that, but jeez, swing back to the hotel for a second first

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

mcmagic posted:

It's DEFINITELY too good. And they can't ban it lol.

Why can't they ban it? It seems like the entire reason for the new mid-season BandR review is so they can do exactly that.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Two bans like this in standard in a 3 month time frame would completely destroy people's confidence to buy into standard. I don't think they will do it.

I can see that, but death by cats might hurt standard too. And WotC has a history of making boneheaded moves.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

They're so scared of control being a deck that answers to anything are far and few between and loving difficult to use efficiently.

1BB for destroy target creature or planeswalker is not good enough.

At least they've admitted this is a problem and will be addressing it going forward. Its still going to be too late, and knowing them, probably too little.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
EDH can be fun but only if you have a playgroup thats on the same page powerwise/how seriously or casually they take it. It's instantly ruined as soon as some tryhard shows up

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Sickening posted:

They need to remove redemption totally. They need to price events/tickets/whatever to make sense for a digital product. MTGO is going to make the most money if there is a reason for people to play both paper and mtgo together.

This, and also they were on the right track with whatever event that was were people could play through a tournament with a top tier deck without owning the cards.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Balon posted:

Having the format "solved" so quickly is what's really killed standard lately. There's always one "best" deck and one "deck that beats the best deck" and it's been like this for several rotations now. Until development catches up with good solutions to this we're in for the worst standard seasons for a year+ to come.

Dont see this ever happening. There is no way that R+D, which is a fairly small amount of people who probably aren't notably good players themselves, can devise a puzzle that the best players in the world working together can't solve near instantly.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Bonus posted:

Magic lets you interact with real people face to face,

Outside of playing with my immediate friends whose company I enjoy outside of Magic also, this is a liability, not a benefit. I have never had fun playing against a stranger at a card store and love that I can play online.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Sickening posted:

If you have honestly never had fun playing against a stranger you might be the liability.

I think magic players would prefer to play paper and modo if modo was actually good/inexpensive. Especially considering you can already do the pptq/rptq online. Both help each other.

"Never had fun" is an exaggeration. I've had fine experiences at prereleases or whatever. Never anything that made me think "I'm so glad I'm not playing online" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Just saw the Digital Next thing, I can't be bothered to actually follow this, can someone just tell me if I should cash out of MTGO? I dont even really have any money in it besides shocks fetches and snapcasters.

• Locked thread