Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Modern has gotten really popular at the store level to the point where it's cutting into Standard attendance. Officializing a new alternative to it is about the worst thing that WotC could do right now.

As far as I can tell, the audience for Frontier is 'people who don't like Modern'. Also starting the format right before the highest power level block in recent history is awkward since it will take a while for the cardpool to grow to the point where newer strategies can compete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I like Crackling Doom because the art looks like a 70's prog rock record sleeve

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

whydirt posted:

I'm pretty sure that Zen block was the first actual implementation of NWO.

yeah people love to use NWO as a buzzword for 'i think WotC is dumbing down the game' rants but Zendikar is the most simple non-core set of the modern era mechanically and people liked it a lot.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I loved it for draft but am in the extreme minority. If you read any "favorite draft formats" here, it's usually some really grognardy time spiral/Lorwyn/Ravnica block shenanigans with 50 mechanics going on. The old magic players at the shops I've been to all cite one of those as their favorites.

Zendikar draft is kind of awkward since they forgot to put good defensive cards in the set so you got a lot of 'ships passing' aggro races, but it's from the pre-Limited Resources era where far fewer people were chain drafting on modo and limited formats were under a lot less scrutiny. so it was a highly well-received set at the time, but i think if it came out today it would fare pretty differently.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sickening posted:

Who are these people who liked battle for zendikar? That can't be the majority.

We're talking about Zendikar here, not Battle for Zendikar which is rightly considered one of the worst modern sets by everyone up to and including Mark Rosewater.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Frontier was literally invented by a major card retailer to sell cards that have price memory from Standard but no home in Modern.

The only reason it's getting any traction from the community is because we're in an unpopular Standard right now, something that could change at any point with a good new set. It's similar to how there was a huge surge in Legacy popularity back circa caw-blade standard when SCG decided to push it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Can we all agree that Standard would be in a much better place today if Reflector Mage was never printed? That card is on its 4th Standard season of protecting a tier 1 deck from losing to aggro now, and thanks to the rotation revert we're still stuck with it for another 3 seasons.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this set is looking exceptionally well designed for constructed. lots of cards with good and interesting abilities rather than raw stats.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

would be very surprised if they banned a card from standard other than Emrakul.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Huey said on Twitter they found a deck that abused Reflector Mage, so they must have been talking with some pros.

it was probably just a build of the saheeli twin deck, that deck realllly wanted reflector mage and this is a preemptive way to hit it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Are you for real or do you just play someone who doesn't know INN/RTR on TV?
yeah i don't understand why people always bring up thragtusk, a card that was in a few good decks in a standard with like 20 good decks.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sit on my Facebook posted:

Without Ponder/Preordain/Serum Visions around you don't have near the consistency of Exarch-Twin when it was in standard and that deck was totally reasonable.

that deck was NOT reasonable for the last couple months, after M12 came out and brought in Ponder. enough people had checked out of the format at that point that it never really got built up as a boogeyman but it was clearly stupid strong.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

a couple things to remember about Standard:

1) the current tier 1 decks are all heavily based on linear Kaladesh block mechanics, so we should expect them to be at their strongest right now and get weaker relative to other decks as more sets enter the format.

2) Wizards R&D likely did not get to test the 'real' Amonkhet Standard (with BFZ/OGW) in their internal FFL testing, since the rotation revert happened pretty suddenly and recently. It's possible that there's some interaction they are worried about there and want to try to hold off any more bannings until Amonkhet is out, figuring that 2 sets of Standard bans is preferable to 3.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

That's a good point. Standard is going to potentially get worse before it gets better. The FFL has already proven to be a poor testing ground, but it's better than nothing and probably saved us from some true horrors. Someone with more caring than I have should start looking at BFZ block for potential combo pieces or overlooked good cards that don't see play right now.

Luckily BFZ block is mostly a steaming pile for Standard so its not too hard to pick out the dangerous cards which are almost all Eldrazi.

Angry Grimace posted:

I see what he's saying, but I think perhaps he means just Kaladesh *cards* because the only mechanic involved in the Tier 1 decks specifically are Vehicles, and out of those Heart of Kiran is the only one that's blatantly unfair.

Yeah what I was trying to get at is that these are decks that want to maintain a critical mass of artifacts and/or energy spells, so they have limited room for improvement compared to whatever the pushed strategies in Amonkhet are going to be. The worst that can happen probably is if Amonkhet has a better shell for the Saheeli combo than the current energy shell.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I think they just tunnel on certain cards for constructed and then when someone throws Felidar Guardian into the set file as a limited card for the UW blink deck, no one thinks to check it in Standard because it's not on their This Card Is Targeted At Standard list. They pretty much said as much for how they missed Reflector Mage.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Champions of Kamigawa was ahead of its time for limited, it was the first set to really refine a lot of the things we take for granted today like color pair archetypes and weird build-arounds and bad cards being niche rather than stone unplayable

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

even the less good recent standards like rally standard and bant company standard had more than 3 decks making top 8s of GPs. this one has been a real low point for diversity, at least in premier level results.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

They're not gonna reprint Sphinx's Rev any more than they're going to reprint Siege Rhino. They pretty much never bring back format-defining Standard cards.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Thundermaw Hellkite is the strongest card from RTR standard that I could imagine getting another run in the future. Sphinx's Rev, Thragtusk, Resto Angel, Boros Reckoner, Lingering Souls are all done forever.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Into the Void was quite a strong uncommon in a couple different formats, I don't think you want that efficiency rate on this effect at common.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

that emblem is redundant in standard

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This loving Gideon is worse than the previous ones (by worse i mean worse for standard). And it will be 60 bucks a pop.

this is not as good as the BFZ one. if that one was rotating out now, as they presumably expected when they okayed this card, it wouldn't be a huge deal.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Why do they make every Gideon so good, what the gently caress

http://magiccards.info/gtc/en/13.html

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I enjoyed the few years post-JTMS where every planeswalker that looked somewhat decent preordered for $50 and then immediately became like $15 after release

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The Liliana is quite good even for a 5 mana planeswalker. 5 base loyalty and +1 to make a blocker is hard to crack. I think every planeswalker that ticks up to make a creature token has been a constructed staple at some point.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

Really weird how they bring back prowess out of the blue

it's been in almost every set since Khans :confused:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i really miss Exquisite Firecraft. the escalate burn spell was probably supposed to fill that 'slot' in this standard but the difference between hitting players for 3 vs 4 is massive vs the current crop of walkers so it's just not playable.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Shadows of Innistrad and Eldritch Moon were both fine sets, though

notably the only block since origins that didn't have the full jacetice league involved

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

their decision to turn magic into a superhero team comic immediately after several well-done blocks of their own brand of storytelling is still inexplicable to me, and the decisions that have followed from that are putting the game in a hole that didn't need to be there

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

This will need an errata since it removes the discarding half of cycling costs as well lol.

"Cycling X" just means "X, discard this card: draw a card". The X there is the cycling cost, there's no way to remove the discard as it's part of the keyword.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

The discard is also part of the cost.

It's part of the total cost of the activated ability but not the "cycling cost". its pretty unintuitive but that's how it works.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

What blocks actually had their draft formats improved by the small sets?

I'm beginning to think they should just do three big sets a year instead of blocks.

There's plenty of examples of second sets improving draft formats, including the 3 most recent blocks. Third sets have a much worse record, Theros is arguably the only block where the 3rd set saved the limited format rather than ruining it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Alaan posted:

Theros at least gets some credit for being the set where draw smoothing and flood insurance become pretty standard in limited.

they still haven't fully learned this lesson though since Kaladesh had way too little of either. i know that they were trying to highlight energy which takes the place of mana sinks but the end result was that you had no way to come back from drawing excess lands in most games

luckily Amonkhet looks like it's on the Theros end of things with cycling and two flashback variants

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 9, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Siivola posted:

I'm just shitposting. Two devs left the design team for unspecified reasons, but I think both Stoddard and Hayes are still on the payroll: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/amonkhet-down-business-part-1-2017-04-03

my completely speculative read on this was that they were pulling their more experienced devs onto whatever the big 25th anniversary stuff is gonna be that they've been hinting at

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

To be fair, it did run Thoughtcast in recent history.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Krosan Tusker variant is a nice surprise, especially if there's a desert that's not a complete blank.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

I'm not seeing a spot on the curve where Nissa is the card you're all about casting. She seems mediocre at best pretty much constantly. She doesn't do anything to protect herself the turn she comes down which is a huge problem. She can grind card advantage, which is good, but she can't guarantee it without doing so very intermittently. I think it's an interesting design, but she requires a very slow and specific format for her to be good.

Or I could be wrong and she's insane and will be a format staple. I just think she has a ton of flaws.

scalability is really powerful in this game. for example, Walking Ballista is a weak card at pretty much every value of X, but when you get all those garbage cards together in one card, it's a format staple.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

If 2WB sorin is above the bar for format staple then yeah this will be too.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

A card can be a format staple and in just one deck, because that's the best deck for the card, particularly if it is a gold card. Bloodbraid elf, Lingering Souls and Ashiok are all great examples. They were in just one deck because that deck was quickly the best deck you could have with them, so the other decks trying them quickly faded.

Lingering Souls was in like a dozen tier 1 decks over its 2 years in Standard. Ashiok was a roleplayer in UBx control but people have a boner for it for some reason and want to believe it was an Important Card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

It was unsuccessfully in a bunch of decks, but people really weren't playing it all over the place, there were delver/snapcaster geist decks that didn't run it, and instead used moorland haunts, and those were different than the intangible virtue decks that made up the decks that actually ran it successfully.

it was also in a ton of graveyard/reanimator decks including Junk Rites which was the de facto "best deck" for a while in RTR standard, and also the various Aristocrats decks

• Locked thread