Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

stinkles1112 posted:

See my edit above you

If Siege Rhino cost ♦WGB, it would be much harder to play him in a deck with four colors, where your mana base has to be devoted and super greedy. it incentivizes you to stick with the colors printed on the card because the fewer colors your deck is trying to support, the more likely you are to have incidental colorless lands like the Blighted cycle, painlands, things like Rogue's Passage, and on and on and on. The important difference isn't between WUBR and ♦UBR, but between 2RU and ♦♦RU

If Siege Rhino cost ♦WGB it would be as hard to play him in a 3+colorless deck as it would be to play him in a 4 color deck if he cost WGBR. This is why it's effectively a 6th color. It is not incentivizing anything in any way that the existing 5 mana symbols don't operate. It is exactly the same.

The only "new" thing it does is incentivize people to play colorless lands to cast these ♦ spells, much in the same way that you are incentivized to play white lands to cast white cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

JerryLee posted:

This brings up an interesting thought, if they do run with the idea of diamond mana, how long until they print [diamond / one of the colors] "dual lands" because the thought of any tension existing in manabases causes them to poop themselves?

like the painlands, the original karoos, and a bunch of others?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Glad to see wotc has decided to print the red sweeper at mythic to ensure the set is high value.

Lots of good tron/12post cards in here.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

No, WUBRG can be used to pay for generic. That confusion is precisely why they gave C a symbol.

That confusion didn't exist until they invented ♦ as a casting restriction that is no different from any other 6th color implementation and is completely mechanically identical to color restrictions. Until the ♦ symbol showed up in a casting cost there was literally no functional difference between using generic mana in a colorless spell versus using colored mana as generic.

I think it's dumb as hell for a gimmicky "colorless" mechanic that doesn't need to exist and offers very little to the game, but thankfully maro had some post where he admitted it's a dumb mechanical gimmick for the set and not some actual forward-moving evergreen design tool (not as colorfully as I did, but he said it's an OGW mechanic and we won't see wastes in future sets).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Serperoth posted:

a) You don't USE generic mana. Generic mana appears only in mana costs. You can use coloured mana to pay for a generic mana cost.

b) MaRo has literally said that colourless as a cost is a deciduous mechanic, like Hybrid or Scry, and while other planes might not have a straight reprint of Wastes, they will have some equivalent.

VV: Woop yeah you're right.

Where did he say that? I must have misread something.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

you know that's a funny thing too, Barry's Land has finally (sorta kinda) been printed but it's just like whatever, changing a symbol is what's causing the freakout

Considering a 6th color retrofit doesn't really add anything to the game at this point in development I don't really get why anyone is excited by it. I've never understood why anyone is attracted to the notion of Barry's Land outside of Commander though, either, but it's existed as a concept long before Commander was a format.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

sarmhan posted:

We've seen literally one card with Diamond in the cost and you're already declaring that it doesn't do anything?
Your relentless "I HATE {C} BECAUSE IT'S BAD" is getting really old.
Wastes is primarily there to support {C} in the draft format while providing colorless EDH deck a basic land option. It's not trying to be barry's land at all.

We've seen multiple cards with ♦ costs on them and I don't think it's a very exciting mechanic. I get that I'm in the minority but I still haven't seen any cards or any potential speculations about the future of ♦ that leave me at all excited by it.

Zendikar block is home to a million of my favorite cards in the game and BFZ/OGW are complete loving trash and incredibly unexciting to me. As someone who was originally thinking bout getting into standard when BFZ came into rotation because I had been on a long hiatus from standard, the sets thus far look the be the least interesting sets to me that they've produced since kamigawa block. The whole thing is a huge disappointment to me and the most interesting cards in either zen set so far are Newlamog, who is a boring but kinda more powerful version of an existing card I play, and a completely utilitarian boring upgrade card that is at mythic for no good reason.

Like, I bought about a case of Zen/WWK combined, and I bought a case of ROE. I drafted these sets religiously at least once a week, and with ROE in particular I drafted the set literally about 100 times between paper and MTGO.

I love the gently caress out of legacy, enjoy the hell out of modern, and am completely loving disinterested in playing a standard that involves these sets at this time. Different strokes for different folks, I'm glad some other folks are totally excited about the wonderful mechanical possibilities that a half-assed 6th color retrofit provides, but I can't see it as anything other than a half-assed 6th color retrofit and given that their marquee mythics of kozilek, who should be awesome, and that mythic land, which should be awesome, are both boring as hell instead and feel like lame retreads of things we've seen before outside of having ♦ in their costs. Which indicates to me that we are more likely going to get some boring poo poo like a mana rock that costs 1♦, maybe an on curve 2♦ 3/3, and other completely unexciting things like that instead exciting things like...anything that had annihilator stuck on it was.

Add all of that together with the fact that they picked the worst time to introduce the new symbol (small second set) so that most of the cards you'll be using to enable it aren't even printed with their most recent rules text despite being 3 months old, just reeks of poor execution and planning and that reek doesn't usually come attached to secret darlings.

If I was a pessimist I would say that BFZ is what we'll look at in a few years when we try to pinpoint the moment that Magic tripped on its dick and started to bleed out, but I don't actually think the game is going to be any smaller in 5 years. But between expeditions being a sales gimmick to shore up set sales while being coupled with the most uninteresting sets they've done in a long time doesn't leave me excited for new magical cards. And as a huge magic fan that bums me out in a way that mediocrity in something I'm not passionate about wouldn't.

I'm bitching so much not because it's the literal worst thing they've ever done (Homelands and Fallen Empires exist) but because I had really high hopes for this set and it's failed to meet them spectacularly.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

sarmhan posted:

See, this is why I can't take you very seriously. You're just tossing out the whole loving mechanic based on 3 cards, and I don't know how Mirrorpool or ruins of sea gate are 'lame retreads' of anything we've seen before, unless you mean 'library of alexandria, one of the best cards of all time'. We're definitely going to get vanilla stuff, but that's literally every set. Rise had vanilla stuff too you know. I guess you really love annihilator, but there's really no argument for it to come back in any quantity- it was really divisive the first time around.

I am tossing out the whole mechanic on 3 cards. Because you can point to any other mechanic and show me the terrible limited filler cards that use that mechanic and I get more excited than I do with these, which are supposed to not be limited filler cards but instead the marquee exciting cards for the mechanic. I'm not kidding, I think wither is more interesting than this is, because any constraint or consideration it places on deck building and gameplay is literally no different than if you had just splashed an off color in your deck. Maybe this will actually look like a good limited mechanic but the marquee mythics don't appeal to me. Ruins of the Sea Gate costing effectively 4 mana and hellbent is a far cry from library of alexandria, it's as apt a comparison as saying Blanchwood Treefolk is just like Tarmogoyf, one of the most powerful cards of all time, because it's a 4/5 for just 3 more mana than goyf, so I'm sorry I don't share your excitement. Maybe there is some application that will make it interesting and exciting but the only thing I've seen suggested is putting it in loam, which is a deck that has lands that let it draw for G already and don't require being on the battlefield and using your engine cards to do so. I don't get excited about Mikokoro either, for what it's worth, although I am sure that this will find itself in commander decks just like Mikokoro does.

I'm posting my thoughts about magical cards in a magical cards thoughts thread and while we don't have to agree on this, do me a favor and don't assume that I'm SUPER MAD IRL about this serious business and tell me I need to take a break. You're acting like I need to make strong objective arguments to legitimize the fact that I think this mechanic is stupid and WOTC handled it terribly but you're not doing that yourself, nor is it really possible to have objectively correct opinions on card games.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

sarmhan posted:

there's a lot of space here ... ♦ lets WOTC make a sixth color

Chamale posted:

I gotta agree with Sigma-X that diamond cards don't excite me yet. So far, every card with a diamond in its cost is just blue by another name. We have countering, cloning, and card draw, which are all blue effects. Where's the new designs?

Your 6th color hype and Chamales post are pretty much the conflict that has me so burnt on ♦. This is a "6th color" but it isn't feeling like new identity to me (and the original eldrazi did a very good job of feeling like new identity, gated not by color/effective color but by cost, and then a bunch of support to actually be able to pay those costs.)

I also think Devoid is terrible for the same reason - none of the devoid cards feel colorless, they're just "green's version of eldrazi" "black's version of eldrazi" etc, and we had that last time we were in ROE but we didn't need Devoid there to tell us that they were eldrazi - because all of the ROE cards are there fitting into support roles to let you hit the eldrazi identity.

In comparison to Rav/Return to Rav, where the guilds felt internally consistent, from a flavor standpoint this doesn't feel mechanically flavored as Zendikar/ROE's continuity, and instead feels like there's some sort of telephone game distortion between ROE and BFZ/OGW that has a bunch of bullet points that seem like they line up (BIG DUDES, COLORLESS, KOR, VAMPIRES, ALLIES!) but nothing resonates as being the same to me.

to be clear I'm not looking for a literal retread, I'm looking for something like "Golgari are all about the graveyard, so they dredge and they scavenge" but devoid and ♦ both stand in strong opposition to the colorless generic-mana identity the eldrazi had before.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ungulateman posted:

lorwyn standard was cool, and good

bfz standard is neither cool nor good

lor-alara standard was cool, alara-zen standard was also cool.

My favorite deck ever was alara zen super standard Turboland, where I got to take extra turns, draw 10 cards, jace and oracle of mul daya to ancestral every turn, cast primetime, and win the game with a dozen 11/12 plant tokens every time.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Read your own posts before you call me dense. We have no idea what SCG's income statement looks like but even if he can't get paid a decent salary from SCG he should definitely be able to work for WOTC since he's pretty widely viewed as the best at what he does. These are large organizations with big ad budgets.

If you think WOTC is going to pay out $60k/year to PSully to do the Pro tours when like the Pro Tour Pots are $120k/year combined you are kinda delusional.

Commentating this game is a part time job and given that PSully has been a game designer for many years, prior to his commentary run, he probably is just as excited to be working in that field than streaming.

The dude likely has bigger aspirations in life than "better at talking about magic than Randy Buehler"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

You don't see the difference between what he was doing and someone who is a self employees streamer?

I don't think anyone is arguing that he should be paid handsomely for being good at what he does, but do you really think SCG is going to pay $120k/yr for commentary (60k/yr for Psully+Cedric).

Not like, "in a just world" or anything, but do you think SCG is going to put that kind of money into their stream?

Between prize pools, accommodations, staffing, and the rest of the infrastructure that SCG has to shell out per event, they likely aren't making much on the event itself - the fact that the increased travel costs to hit the west coast, which are probably adding about $3k extra (call it 8-10 extra hotel room nights, food, and gas) makes it no longer financially viable for them to hit the west coast, their east coast margins can't be more than a few grand per event. While each of those side event win a boxes brings in $160 for each $60 box they are selling, that $100 has to cover the judge, admin, accomodations, etc.

Now this is fine, because breaking even on the event is completely fine because we are disregarding the booth economy, which is vital both for buying and selling cards, and the event is there entirely to create the booth economy. I'm sure they make some money on these events but I don't think it's really that much - there's a reason most events are run by stores and that's because the booth economy makes up for the low margins on the event.

Let's say SCG pays PSully and Cedric $15k/year each already to do commentary (this is probably high, but we'll use it as a baseline for our math) and we'll assume that involves them doing 50 weeks a year of commentary to keep our numbers easy to math.
We will set the target wage to $60k/year, which is a number chosen for no other reason other than a designer with PSully's experience can command that much salary pretty easily based upon game development industry statistics that are regularly available.

50 events making $3k each means there is an additional $150k in the budget to spend. To crank them both up to $60k, we have to spend $90k a year. This is doable, but it reduces the money made off the events themselves to $60k/year, which is a small margin for the amount of overhead that goes into planning and running these events that we didn't account for in our costs (all the work done "at home base," including site management, planning and contracting efforts, tournament tool development, etc).
50 events making $2k each means there is an additional $100k in the budget to spend. To crank them both up to $60k, we have to spend $90k a year. It also reduces the margin for events to $10k, which is not enough at this point to support all of the "home base" work being done, and means that now the events are loss leaders and are now risky, because any time they break even or worse on booth economy, they're losing money to run the event.
50 events making $1k each means there is an additional $50k in the budget to spend, and we simply can't afford to hit $60k.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sickening posted:

Lightning bolt is a head scratcher as far as pricing goes. We are talking a common that is no way in short supply. Game stores all over the place have piles of lightning bolts hoarded and yet they are still 2$+.

Everyone has like a million of them though. More than competitive players, there are a million casuals out there who have 4 lightning bolts in every deck because it's a good and cheap card.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I agree that Jace doesn't look as powerful as he first is, but he's also 2 mana and has snapcaster mage's ability, whereas Nissa has abilities that do not look anywhere near as powerful. Like, people saw Jace and thought he was potentially playable in several formats, other people disagreed. it doesn't seem like anyone thinks this Nissa is good yet.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's Avenger of Zendikar with suspend. Think about it.

Swamp is dark ritual with suspend

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Procrastinator posted:

The difference between Nissa and Gideon is that Nissa's tokens are a + ability, not a 0.

I think they might have different power/toughness too

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

On the other hand leaks necessarily imply theft or breach of a non-disclosure contract. The existence of said contract is most likely at some end result a profit to wizards.

The lofty motivations thing is whatever tho v:shobon:v.

Are you saying that NDAs are something WotC is making money off of, directly or indirectly? Like, the NDAs themselves, and not the whole "contract to print up all of our product and package it so that we can sell it to people" part of the contract?

NDAs are signed by the service provider (the printer in this case) because otherwise the client would go somewhere else, because protecting their secret information is vital to their operations, but there isn't any monetary clause in the contracts themselves if they're upheld (breaking them is a breach of contract lawsuit). Keeping their secrets safe such that they can control them is profitable to them - the entire spoiler season is a giant marketing hype train that generates a ton of word of mouth advertising for the product and continual discussion, so they are profiting off of control of the information there.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

No not the NDAs themselves, but the spoiler season is obviously a promotional campaign that's devalued by leaks/NDA breaches.

Totally. And as a guy who's been on both sides of those things I can tell you that for as innocent as it seems on the consumer level, there's all sorts of issues it causes on the backend. The leaks clause in the NDA for something I worked on had serious financial and relationship fallout for whichever party was insecure in their handling. The fact that these came from the printers (if proven conclusively enough, and that'll be pretty easy since everyone in the WotC/Printing/Distro chain will know exactly where cards are at this time) will likely mean they're doing a bunch of work for free/cheap in the future to make up for it, because while spoilers are cheap advertising they have a very real value that outweighs their dollar cost significantly.

Basically whoever leaked this wound up loving over a lot of people for e-cred and his boss is likely going to have to pay out some, which means they'll try to figure out who leaked this poo poo so they can go after that person as hard as they can (which is pretty much only firing them because you can't transfer liability to an agent of your company).

I have a friend who leaked the existence of the next iteration of a known yearly franchise before the official announcement by putting the title in his resume and if he wasn't a rockstar and if the leak wasn't such completely guessable information (the number behind the title got a +1) he would have been fired. Blowing a bunch of the showcase mythics and expeditions like this is a huge leak in comparison.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Eh sorta. All the expeditions plus all but one of the mythics. It's enough to turn the rest of the set in to a wet fart for me at least.

Same. Kalitas and the Octopus bounce spell are the most interesting cards spoiled so far to me and while there is room for a few rares / uncommons to be interesting the majority of the cards are going to be standard roleplayers that fit into the existing format / won't be exciting until rotation, and limited filler cards that are never exciting (but can be fun to play). The spoiler season got seriously jacked by this leak.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

because they require money, and money is capitalism, and capitalism should be destroyed. full communism now

I recall a goon whom I won't name making the literal argument that people have as much of a right to legacy cards as they do healthcare and that if you support the reserve list you are anti obamacare so while I think this is supposed to be hyperbole I can't tell any more.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
forgot about the toxx, gimme a sec

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He tried and mandatory lesbian told him his toxx was too pathetic.

I just posted a banme, which apparently don't get displayed anywhere anymore?

we good now, I ate the eggs.

Also the goon I was referring to made the argument about 4 years ago and was the first guy I ever put on my ignore list as a result because I realized he was never going to contribute anything useful :v:

e: banmes go to the gas chamber automatically now it looks like

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
it was cheesy at the time but it was also awesome to see so many new things. Again, in comparison, our current ELdrazi overlords are boring as gently caress because nothing they do is that new.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

Emrakul would be the perfect Lovecraftian being to be the shadowy horror in Shadows Over Innistrad that corrupts the angels. I'm conflicted on how possible it is that they've done that though.

Emeria was the angel goddess, after all...

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

It's pretty telling that people who run afoul of Wizards PR/marketing usually just get temporary DCI bans rather than anything more serious

Anything else is basically cost-ineffective, because you're paying a bunch of legal fees and generating a lot of bad PR to go after someone who makes $10/hour at a factory.

What will happen is that the printer will wind up having to pay out to WotC quietly after WotC makes a big deal about moving their printing somewhere else unless the printer is more secure in the future, and then it will be forgotten.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is incredible.

Though how do you prioritize which part of Mark Rosewater's face to take?

So looking at Tom Riddle's pack 1, they're all misprint cards, but I don't know the story behind some of them:

Anthologies Mirri Cat Warrior should be a 2/3
Hurricane has a blue border
Serendib Efreet has a green border
Drudge Skeletons Swamp
Alpha/Beta (I think it's just alpha?) Orcish Oriflame should be 2R instead of 1R
Wald is a Plains-arted Forest
*Not sure on Laquatus' Horror (name?) but IIRC it doesn't have the second half of the nightmare text, but I can't read Russian
*Cyclopean Tomb - no idea
*Orcish Artillery - no idea
*Cursed Scroll - not sure but I seem to recall there's a version where the naming cards doesn't work right, maybe it's something like that?
Serra Angel looks like Time Elemental
*Oboro Envoy - no idea, I've never seen this card before
Iff Biff Efreet has Serendib Efreet's art
*Reflecting Pool - no idea, the text looks right to me?
Beta Volcanic Islands do not exist because they were left off the printing sheet

Not sure if I hosed any of these up and I only knew half of them off the top of my head (and have only seen the Mirri and the Walds in real life - saw a dude who tried to play his Walds in Enchantress but the judge told him no) but I was impressed that I knew that many.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

This guy is a bad snapcaster mage but he's sick when you start looking at 3CMC cards to flash back for free. Anger of the Gods and KCommand look a lot more exciting on this guy than snapcaster.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Entropic posted:

How many times per turn cycle do you get to untap this guy in two-headed giant?

once on your turn, once on theirs. Teams share a turn cycle.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Caleb (best non-Pro Tour content creator) with some fun Legacy ban list thought experiments.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-legacy-ban-list-what-should-change/

With the exception of killing wasteland, which I think is a bad idea because then the manabases have no constraining forces, I do like the notion of "kill all the existing T1 decks with major collateral damage and see what happens" as a concept.

I don't think it's good for legacy but it's fun to wonder if that brings Goblins or whatever bad pet deck that used to be good you like back into the meta.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

anglachel posted:

I'm kinda surprised Goblin Guide hasn't mega spiked with all the other modern cards. It hits all the notes that you would think would make speculators go crazy for it. Printed in only one long far off set, no reprints, key card in a Tier 1 deck, blah blah blah.

It's in a deck that runs 12 fetches, and was a rare in zendikar which was opened a ridiculous amount because of those fetches. Burn is in a spot where it's too expensive to really be a budget deck and increase demand for that reason, and it's a linear deck that doesn't allow for a lot of variety so it's not as heavily played as tarmogoyf, spellskite, or other multi-deck all-stars.

Oh and it's also THIRTY loving DOLLARS. It was never more than like $5 in standard. It has ticked up just over a longer period of time, and its price was originally spiked by legacy pre-modern existing. It also has a GP foil promo.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Konstantin posted:

I don't know why Wizards doesn't push paper pauper. Seriously, sell the top decks as $10 Pauper event decks, and have a Pauper FNM. You can do one for each color, plus artifacts, and get most of the strong archtypes. It's a wonderful way to get into tournament Magic, and people who rightly refuse to pay hundreds for a Standard deck can play something competitive for cheap. Maybe even have a Pauper GP at some point.

Yeah I don't understand why wizards doesn't push a format that would sell a product once for $10MSRP / $3wholesale and then never again while costing a small amount in support (FNM prizing / DCI maintenance) when they could push draft which sells a box of product per 8 people in 3 hour blocks which is ~$150MSRP/$40-$50wholesale.

While we're at it I don't understand why they don't just allow you to print proxies and play at sanctioned tournaments, or just sell singles directly to the consumer for printing costs alone!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

kizudarake posted:

They're suggesting event decks for pauper, you goofy gently caress.

They're suggesting pauper FNM, you dopey twist.

Their lotto-ticket business model is not something they want to undermine with FNM support or official products.

What the hell kind of pauper deck isn't going to be $10 to assemble from your store's commons/uncommons/tcgplayer anyways?

There's no margin on the event decks, and there's the potential for cannibalization of more lucrative products.

As a player I'm all for pauper and cockatrice / xmage and proxying decks to play this fun game. But WotC is a business and I'm going to take the stance in here that as a business they're not going to make obvious bad business moves.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

-Someone who cares about #mtgfinance

The entire game was built on the notion of the cards being collectible with an uneven distribution, so it's kind of annoying when people who have been playing the game for years are surprised when the card that people were hoping would get reprinted didn't, so then people bought the card because they realized it wasn't going to get reprinted until MM17.

Like going "wtf" at the random legends cards that get bought out for poor speculative reasons is one thing, but if anyone was surprised by inquisition going up once it was confirmed to not be reprinted they must enjoy equally surprising events like the sun rising, politicians lying, and mcmagic misvaluing planeswalkers.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
So when my opponent calls LED on putting needle is it a dick move to let that ride or am I obligated to let them take it back there, too?

People misplay revoker and needle all the time and the only thing you can't let slide is an illegal name. Poorly naming poo poo is fine, and ambiguous names need to be cleared up, but I've seen too many bad revoker / needle plays to feel like you should ever give people the benefit of the doubt in a money game.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zoness posted:

[naming opal when it doesn't do anything]Seems more scummy to me than the bob's bobo case but hey I'm not one to argue ad hom pro quoque.

In both the opal naming and the boryboros naming it is on the onus of both players to know how to play the game fully.

At a money tournament, in the top 8, I cannot fathom any system that isn't strict rules enforcement that requires all players to know the rules of the game. There is no objectively better system than enforce all the rules as written and update the rules as written when there are conflicts between rules as written and rules as intended.

In the case of the needle misplay, I would say the best course of action wizards could take is amending the naming rules such that when a card is named, if there are multiple cards that partially share that name, if a player has had perfect information revealing the existence of one and only one of those cards in their opponent's deck, then the naming is assumed in favor of the card in the opponent's deck. This would solve these edge cases by adding more rules, and would provide a consistent enforceable situation. In the case of the player not having perfect information revealing the existence of that card, you go with the current rules, which are "clear up any ambiguity" and "if a legal card is named, it's the one that was named."

Holding an opponent to a bad needle/revoker naming is no different that holding them to their bad blocks that didn't account for lethal. Of course they'd have meant to block to prevent lethal if they were paying attention to the board state, but they weren't. Of course they'd have meant to name the right card if they were paying attention to the card pool, but they weren't - in both cases they were lazy and their mental shortcuts let them down.

As for "jedi mind tricking" people into making bad plays, I see that as part of the bluff game, and I haven't gotten mad when people test my chalices (it's just a trigger that counters, it's not preventing them from casting) and I don't get mad when people try to psych me out with their needle names.

odiv posted:

Speaking of mtgfinance, is there anyone else here from outside the US not seeing all of TCGPlayer's listings? It's making it hard for me to know what's actually being sold and at what price without going through a proxy/VPN.

Here's what I see when I go through my VPN:

If I just check without a VPN I only see the CFB listing where they want $21.99 for the HP Inquisition and no indication that anything else is being hidden. It literally says Viewing 1-1 of 1 listing.

It's annoying as gently caress, but I think it's related to my location instead of site settings. I'm not signed in to the site or anything. Would be nice to get some confirmation from someone here.

This is likely because the overwhelming majority of sellers don't sell outside of the US and I think TCGPlayer encourages not selling outside of the US because it's inviting a lot more fraud than what can be reasonably dealt with by tcgplayer / individual sellers. I know I don't sell overseas but I don't recall if it was due to all the fraud I've seen elsewhere / on ebay or if tcgplayer warns against it. Their default is US only though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

This is the highlight of this show and I won't actually enjoy watching this ever, right?

Because that was hilarious.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you were expecting something around 20% of people to run affinity would you still do that? I'm starting modern with merfolk, but when I walked around last week there were at least 6-8 affinity players out of 40 and at least one lantern player. 4 hurkyls is a lot of room in the sideboard, but basically conceding 1 match per night is not really too appealing either

If I'm expecting everyone going know that 20% of the people are going to.be playing affinity I would hope to dodge / get lucky and play to beat the people who stomp out affinity in the first three rounds.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It isn't "entirely outside of the game" when you can ask for the oracle text of any card at any time.

People are hung up on the notion that he got wrecked because he didn't have esoteric knowledge of an older card. The actual issue is that he didn't bother naming the card he wanted correctly.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Fifth Dawn Bikini Girl buyout? Time for me to profit, I bought them at like $15.

This is an example of a totally MTGFINANCE buyout because the decks she works in are not Modern competitive outside of spiking random tourneys. It's like investing in Mistbind Clique when Faeries does its annual/biannual performance where it does real good on Day 1 of some tourney.

There are like 7 copies in the wild so if two people wanted to buy playsets it would be a "buyout."

The card has had a ridiculous price for its entire life because it's a fifth dawn card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

This conversation is too one-sided, we need someone to say that WotC is actually good and cool here. Where's Zoness?

I am frequently on WotC's side for "they are a business and need to make money" reasons but I don't see how this helps them in any loving way.

The only way i can see this being useful to them is if there were significant outcries for killing proxy tournaments somewhere, but I've never heard a loving peep and I live in SoCal where we have a million real legacy tournaments firing off every week (I'm going to our weekly which does like 20 people in an hour).

• Locked thread