Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

Wouldn't it actually just say what Spreading Seas does, then?

"Enchanted land is a Waste.
Draw a card."

See not only does it match Spreading Seas' text, it also sounds cooler.

That doesn't work because Wastes (as spoiled/faked) don't have subtypes.

It would read:

Enchanted land loses all abilities. (Lands with no other abilities have T: Add ♦ to your mana pool.)

Or possibly the land has to be basic with no types to get this ability? Obviously we don't know what the rules support for Wastes will be.

Lancelot fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dzyl (http://www.twitch.tv/dzyl) is currently drafting an absurd March of the Machines + Jeskai Ascendancy + mana artifacts deck in the new cube. He is so amazing. :allears:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Oh, and in case we forget, Uncharted Realms is back to Battle for Zendikar.

Today's riveting (and unfortunately, Krienes-penned) tale, "Hedron Alignment."

* Gideon, Kiora, Drana, Nissa and a couple of random people from Zendikar are meeting in a war room to discuss how they should deal with Ulamog (a scout has informed them he's coming). The rest of the army doesn't know Ulamog is coming yet so they have a bit of time to plan. Kiora's plan is to bum-rush Ulamog with the Bident (she's kind of an arrogant jerk) and Drana, of course, likes fighting so she's solidly in. They also have Nissa's axe.

* Jace wanders back into camp, and acts super smug about how much smarter he is than everyone. He's awed at Gideon-senpai's manliness (this is a theme, everyone is awed at Gideon-senpai's manliness the entire story). Jace tries to explain to them he wants to trap the Eldrazi in the ALIGNED HEDRON NETWORK. Kiora gets pissed the gently caress off because she wants to kill him; Drana and Kiora agree. Jace repeats Ugin's warning that it will leave and eat some other plane. Kiora says, "so?" but Nissa suddenly changes her mind because she feels guilty.

* Kiora basically says "gently caress off" and summons an Octopus to take her away. Jace tries one last time to convince her, this time using MIND POWERS. Kiora does not loving like this and attacks Jace. Jace has to be protected by Gideon-senpai because Jace is a little bitch.

* Jace sets up the plan to arrange hedrons into an aligned network. It's apparently a pain in the rear end to do. Ulamog shows up and Gideon fights him one-on-one; Jace is all full of admiration for Gideon-senpai yet again.

* They close the network around Ulamog, but something's wrong. Nissa uses her magic elf powers to determine that there's a problem with one of the hedrons. Nissa asks Jace why his poo poo is broken. He's like "IDK" so she invites him to do a mind-meld. I can't tell if Jace is hot for Nissa or something or the writer is just that terrible with the prose, but he gets a little weird about it. They fix it because she can see leylines and poo poo.

* Ulamog is trapped. Bobby Nixon kills a random grunt and says some generic evil poo poo and presumably gives a Ted DiBiase laugh. The story ends on that.

Is this different from the time just before that Ulamog was trapped and Ob Nixilis disrupted the alignment? These stories are all blurring together.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

wildfire1 posted:

Legendary Cube is a fun change up. I'm dating 5-8 signets

;-*

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

This standard and draft format has been bad enough I probably dissected news items like New Kozilek or Shadows of Innistrad and what it means way more than I've been playing.

This is not a good format at all, and I don't have the time or skill to grind out odd events - sure Modern events fire all the time, but its not so easy to attend random daytime events or weeknight events.

I agree that standard is bad and homogeneous - but why don't you like BFZ draft? I'm enjoying it more than anything since Triple Khans.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
even if the new cards cost actual diamond gemstones to cast, they'd be cheaper than current manabases

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

That RG Landfall guy is insanely good.

Is it? It seems really average to me. How good is Exploration on turn 4?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
reprint Stifle imo

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Well, it's also a 4/4 body, and if you're treating it as Exploration it "draws" you a card every turn. Add to that lands with ETB effects and the fact that if the land you bounce comes in untapped it only costs 1 to activate, and you have a pretty good card. Not sure if RG landfall is really a good enough deck that this card will be a Standard powerhouse, but in that deck it is very good.
It doesn't draw you a card at all? It has Exploration's ability with the fact that you can retrigger landfall for RG if you want. Aggro decks don't particularly want a 4 mana 4/4 when there are a thousand more resilient or faster threats in the format. Maybe if there are a lot of excellent landfall dudes in Oath it could be worth playing in a midrange deck, but probably not while Crackling Doom is in the best deck of the format.

Also it is definitely not modern playable.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is Ken Nagle literally the most consistently bad designer of ever?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ramos posted:

As you cast this spell, no player can cast other spells or activate non-mana abilities until it resolves.

Some Numbers posted:

Until this spell resolves, players cannot play spells or activate abilities. Triggered abilities still trigger.
I think "resolves" is just as bad as "stack".

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

black potus posted:

i dunno if we settled on me having to type properly forever or play painful truths in a big event

the loser has to play the thread's choice of TWoo brews at the next big event

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do split cards count as having two CMCs for Kozilek's ability?

The card in your hand has two CMCs. The spell on the stack will have the CMC of the half cast (or the combined CMC, if Fused).

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lancelot posted:

half cast
wow, racist

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I guess the one on the left is Kozilek's and the one on the right is Ulamog's?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Who was Team USA this year?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Even if they hosed up the design/development of BFZ by having to rush it out unfinished, if they wanted to, it would have been trivial to change the templating/printing to get the diamond symbol on Scion tokens and Kozilek's Channeler. They obviously just decided not spoiling the second-set mechanic was more important than the aesthetics of having different colourless symbols in one block.

Sickening posted:

United States Mike Sigrist Joel Sadowsky Tom Martell Neal Oliver
haha no wonder

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

PJOmega posted:

It would have made sense. Implement C in BFZ with reminder text and hint cards "C is colorless mana. (1) can be paid with any mana or colorless mana." Let that soak in over a set. The for the beginning of spoiler season they simply post new Kozilek, mic drop. Walk back on stage, show Wastes, mic drop again.
People would have deduced C mana costs and lands really easily from a new mana symbol, though, meaning the reveal in Oath would be really underwhelming.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
My (D) is surging

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Right, but WUBRG are also C in most situations.

I think this is a confusion between C and generic mana. WUBRG are no more C than CUBRG are W (i.e. not at all).

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

I don't play Modern, but Twin doesn't seem all that bad since every time you attempt the combo you risk getting 2-for-1'ed or otherwise hosed over by any form of instant-speed interaction.
The reason it's frustrating to play against is that twin commonly puts you into a lose-lose situation. You have to keep up mana to disrupt the combo, so often you are passing despite having productive plays to make. But the deck can sneak out flash creatures (Snapcaster, Clique, Pestermite) that slowly beat you down while you're holding up mana to disrupt the combo. You either need to ignore their combo and hope you win faster through their disruption (Amulet Bloom, Storm, Bogles, Infect, Affinity), or hope to have enough disruption to overcome both (a) the combo and (b) their creatures (Grixis control, various forms of Delver, Jund).

I don't think Twin is overpowered, or needs to be banned. But the fact that it has two very powerful routes to winning the game and is constantly holding one over your head like a sledgehammer if you make the tiniest mistake is why Twin is so good/dominant.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Alris posted:

Does Origins Jace have a place outside of Standard? Is its price likely to drop once he rotates? Should I bite the bullet and grab some asap? Is my hatred for that stupid card justified?

Yes, it's playable in Legacy and Modern and a couple of Vintage decks. The price will likely go down after he rotates out (in 6 months?) but it's a very good card and a mythic rare so the price won't fall too much.

Edit: Can I also say this that this standard really confuses me? We have a Vintage-restricted card and a Modern-banned card (Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time) that we can play 4 of each, as well as Vintage-playable finishers (Monastery Mentor) and planeswalkers (baby Jace). How is there not a deck that takes full advantage of these? Is Wet Mardu the best we can do?

Lancelot fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 16, 2015

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
hm, what argument shall I use to convince my largely millennial audience that spoilers are bad... hm... i know...let's go with the argument old people in the recording industry used against napster! wow.. another hard day's work done at wotc

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I can't believe no one quoted the best line from Trick (!)'s article

Trick! posted:

Will my words here leave a mark on the community? Perhaps, but I can't say for sure.

Will they, Trick?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

*Cursed Scroll - not sure but I seem to recall there's a version where the naming cards doesn't work right, maybe it's something like that?
Serra Angel looks like Time Elemental
The Japanese Cursed Scroll has a 2 mana activation cost instead of 3.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rimusutera posted:

The fact that it isn't currently a clever card reference and is instead a meta comment on the state of this thread is disappointing.
...it is a clever card reference.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

Can't blame him. gently caress pile shuffling, it takes forever for you to finish and the only time I could ever recommend it is if you need to make sure you're running the correct amount of cards and you know, not cheating.

Yeah, I don't play paper magic that much anymore, but I would always do a single pile shuffle between games and matches to make sure I had sideboarded/desideboarded properly, and then do a half-dozen riffles.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
posting pictures of fantasy cardboard before we post pictures of fantasy cardboard is THEFT just like when your TV gets stolen

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
judging is fun if you want to get browbeaten by rules lawyers, endlessly appealed and harassed by pros, and ignored by everyone else

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Four Score posted:

where is the next stupid deck for goons to fawn over and declare standard saved until it sucks agains for a few months

I actually like most of the decks in standard, except Abzan (just from fatigue, I think). The Damp Mardu / Charred Jeskai deck is cool because it feels like a modern deck — crazy mana base, plays a 2-mana Jace and good edicts and excellent card draw. Aristocrats is genuinely an interesting deck to watch happen. Ramp is great because big Eldrazi/Ugin are great. Esper Dragons is a solid control deck that's not dominant enough to be boring yet. And if you don't like watching RDW beat faces, you don't like Magic.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
It is a great deck from a Spike-type value perspective. It reminds me a lot of the Grixis Control deck in Modern, though Snapcaster is better for that deck than baby Jace.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Gerry Thompson ran 4 flipjace at the last invitational playing grixis control and he did very well that weekend.

Is this the Rise//Fall version? I think that one is geared more around discard than countermagic, so I guess then you can play 4 Jace and 4 Snapcasters and always get value out of the flashbacks.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Kill Shot for 1W seems good. White was already the best removal colour in BFZ.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Black is actually way better in removal than white, even in current Standard, it's just that white's removal (a) is cheaper because it's combat-related (which is not really a drawback in limited unless you're facing down a Valakut Invoker) and (b) generally appears at lower rarities than black's. It makes for better limited play, too, since you can play around attacking with your dude if they have Gideon's Reproach and mana up, but you can't really ever avoid Ruinous Path.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dungeon Ecology posted:

So does it exchange P/T until EOT, or does it copy P/T until EOT?
Copy. "Cambiar" is copy, "Intercambia" is exchange.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

It depends on what the card actually says, given the various mangled translations. I see some translations saying it copies base power and toughness, which would make it way less good with a lot of things.

"Whenever another colourless creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may have Mimico Eldrazi's base power and toughness become equal to that creature's power and toughness until end of turn."

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Booklegger posted:

So, from what I now know, there's like 3 cards in magic's history which actually set power and toughness in such a way that pump spells help. Sworn Defender, Shape Stealer, and Zegana.

Like it *MIGHT* happen, but I would assume it's a copy effect until proven otherwise.
No, it's not a copy effect. Shape Stealer (http://magiccards.info/sok/en/55.html) isn't a copy effect, and I don't see any reason this would be worded differently (and it uses the Spanish word for "change" and not "copy"). It's a triggered ability that checks another creature's P/T on resolution and applies a continuous effect that changes its own base P/T to the value it sees. Pump spells and counters make this number better, either if they are on the other creature before resolution or on the Mimic at any time. Pump effects and counters on the other creature after the ability resolves won't do anything.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think Wizards is really gonna have to change its print run policy for Modern Masters if they don't want Modern to go the way of Legacy. While you can print a lot of staples (like fetches and shocks) in print-to-demand sets, legends like Teeg/Thalia/Clique/Tasigur/flipJace can only be reprinted in supplementary products now that there are no core sets, and in a few years they'll be sky-high in price unless demand craters.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
alternatively abolish the secondary market and sell entire sets directly :greencube:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Cool, will certainly be good in Aristocrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gensuki posted:

Shoulder to Shoulder does not trigger Zada or heroic, does it? The spell does not target, the ability "support" targets?
people kind of already answered your question (in a dickish way), but to clear up any confusion: Support is a keyword action, it's not an ability. Like scry, or bolster. It's just shortcutting a phrase of rules text, but it's not another game object. Keyword abilities are things you activate (or trigger) and go on the stack separately, which won't be spells and won't trigger Zada. Think Cycling, Outlast, etc.

Confusingly, there are also ability words (which used to be called pseudokeywords). These are things like "Landfall —" or "Rally —", which don't do anything except help associate groups of cards together that are related mechanically.

• Locked thread