Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I figure about a year down the line this game will probably get sufficient content and possibly overhauls to merit revisiting.

Also had fun with a friend group. Was fun while it lasted, hopefully there'll be more in the distant future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah if I had a irl friend crew to play with I'd still be doing it, but it's too trash to touch the pub stove rn

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

My experience when I stopped a few months ago was joining a game, waiting around while people stealth the map, then everyone leaves when stealth is hosed up and its time for me to play the game since I am garbage at stealth.

I also hated the progression systems and regularly felt like I didn't get experience for the various systems at the end, or I got so little I wondered why I even bothered. It was also fairly obtuse how experience is even gained, especially gun and perk experience.

That's before we even get into the lovely ammo economy and the sheer amount of bullets it takes to kill a cop, or the armor system for both the player and cops.

I was super excited for this game but feel no desire to pick it back up, and am also hoping in a year it becomes something that's fun.

Just such a massive disappointment.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I have a group of friends that played hundreds of hours of PD2 with and we couldn't even get through all of the heists without quitting on the game. The progression sucks, I know they did change it to actually give you xp for finishing heists now which is a good change but the whole thing just feels so light on content. Then I saw the expensive-rear end paid DLC they put out like a month in and that sorta killed it for me. I hope it survives the year and gets the updates it needs but man it is not looking good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

"Steam posted:

Hello Heisters,

We want to take some time today to explain what we're planning for PAYDAY 3 going forward.

We're well aware that many of you aren't satisfied with the game the way it is in its current state. Since launch, we've been reading your valuable feedback in forums, social media and in video comments in addition to the FeatureUpvote page. This helps us massively and is crucial to the continued development of PAYDAY 3.

In order to turn your feedback into action, we've put together a strike team of veteran developers from the design, community, communication and production teams with the focus on bringing PAYDAY 3 up to where it will meet your expectations.

This team is currently creating a plan, deciding what will shape the game into the heisting experience you expect from a PAYDAY sequel in both the short & long term.

We want to be careful to not simply react, and deal with any possible improvements one by one with the care, thought and planning they deserve. In February, we will communicate a plan detailing the upcoming improvements and when you can expect to see them in the game.

Do you want to influence our work and make sure we don't miss anything important? Use our FeatureUpvote page and either upvote someone else's comment or write your own. The page lets us not only see what you think is important, but more than that ensures that we have insight into how important it is to the community as a whole.

We thank you for sharing your thoughts and your opinions, it is your passion that inspires us to work hard to deliver the best PAYDAY experience we can for you all.

- Almir & the PAYDAY 3 Team

Strike team!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

top men

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:cumpolice: :ccb: Welcome to Operation Medic Bag :ccb: :cumpolice:

Last month, we shared a short update letting you know that we were working on an updated comprehensive roadmap of what we’re doing for PAYDAY 3 over the course of 2024.

Summarizing all the feedback from our community, we have identified what we believe will be some of the most impactful changes to PAYDAY 3, listing them in this post.

Making PAYDAY 3 live up to community expectations is a major project for our studio, so we’re grateful to have you along for the ride.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cool so maybe this game will be worth checking on in.. 12-24 months? If the studio stays open that long? I have no idea why anyone would feel compelled to buy or play this game after reading an update like that until everything's done. This is like "we realized you hate every single thing about our game so we're changing everything over the course of the next two years".

Edit: I mean good on them for listening to the feedback I guess but at this point it feels like trying to change the course of the Titanic while it's already broken in half and sinking.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 15, 2024

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

explosivo posted:

Cool so maybe this game will be worth checking on in.. 12-24 months? If the studio stays open that long? I have no idea why anyone would feel compelled to buy or play this game after reading an update like that until everything's done. This is like "we realized you hate every single thing about our game so we're changing everything over the course of the next two years".

Edit: I mean good on them for listening to the feedback I guess but at this point it feels like trying to change the course of the Titanic while it's already broken in half and sinking.

Yeah this is obviously a too little and too late scenario and even in the best case scenario of all these changes implemented (well) and in a reasonable time frame its not enough to undo any of the damage done to the game or company.

There's a reason why Payday 2, even with all its ups and downs over a decade of support, has tens of thousands of people playing it to this day while Payday 3 is struggling to go beyond 300 players

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
It’s wild that it’s gotten to this point, I forgot I “played” a bunch on game pass launch with my co-op friends. Like, they needed that announcement the week after the game came out, not like 6 months later, what in the world is going on over there, this thing is dead, deader than no man’s sky was at its lowest point.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The following are all features that might make it into the game by summer 2024:

quote:

Quickplay v1
Loadout Renaming
Recurring Smaller Content Drops
Controller Improvements
Vote Kick
Rotating Stealth Modifiers
Unready Button
Play Again Feature
Merge Players into Party Post Match
Daily Activities with Rewards
Mask Vendor with Weekly Rotating Inventory
Communication Wheel Improvements v1

Many of these should've been in from the start, like quickplay or unready... it is incredible that some of these basic things are being mentioned on a roadmap, about six months after release.

From the way the article is phrased, they are just now starting development on things like solo mode, throwing out the current progression model, improving stability and matchmaking. Everything must be on fire at Starbreeze, holy hell.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's more like they tricked people into buying a beta with DLC before the full game launches this year

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A lot of those sound like things they could have/should have been working on after they went silent so they could say "These are fixes going in with an update tomorrow or [insert concrete date in the not too distant future]", even if it's the lowest of the low hanging fruit like adding a goddamn unready button in the lobby it would show some sense of commitment to your player base. Give people one thing to believe that this time is the time it'll be different. The game's already on life support, what good is going through another early access period after the game's launch really going to do to bring anyone back? The Embracer hungers for game studios and the cynic in me says this whole thing feels like a bid to run out the clock.

Real, real loving glad this game out on gamepass.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ErrEff posted:

The following are all features that might make it into the game by summer 2024:

Many of these should've been in from the start, like quickplay or unready... it is incredible that some of these basic things are being mentioned on a roadmap, about six months after release.

From the way the article is phrased, they are just now starting development on things like solo mode, throwing out the current progression model, improving stability and matchmaking. Everything must be on fire at Starbreeze, holy hell.

This reads like a list of responses you'd get if you asked what separates a demo from a release

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Overkill's really been put to shame by the Helldivers devs with regards to how they handled their lovely hosed up launches. I think it helps that HD2 is just more fun to play so people want to play in spite of the problems unlike PD3 which has passed launch issues and is now just a mid as hell game, but the update cadence and messaging has been great the whole time with HD2 and I think that's shown in the response from the community who is understandably upset but still choking the servers to get in and play more. Meanwhile PD3 is getting DX12 and an unready button this week, 5 months after launch. And according to their blog update, from now until April, "we’ll be strengthening our internal pipelines and making sure we can deliver updates more reliably and really hit those deadlines going forward."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Pay Day gang stole the functioning game from Starbreeze and Overkill.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MariusLecter posted:

The Pay Day gang stole the functioning game from Starbreeze and Overkill.

sounds like a classic vlad mission

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
maybe it'll be like nomansky and they'll release something good in two years. I really doubt it but maybe?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

padijun posted:

maybe it'll be like nomansky and they'll release something good in two years. I really doubt it but maybe?

NMS was made by 12 people with a much smaller budget. PD3 was funded by Embracer, who called the game a failure in November.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Mill Village posted:

NMS was made by 12 people with a much smaller budget. PD3 was funded by Embracer, who called the game a failure in November.

did NMS only have 12 people post-launch?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

padijun posted:

I doubt Payday 3 has more right now.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

padijun posted:

This is the latest info I could find.

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2020/9/2/21418166/hello-games-no-mans-sky-last-campfire-apple-arcade-interview-next-game

quote:

For much of No Man’s Sky’s development, the team was just six people, expanding to 15 by the time it shipped.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I doubt Payday 3 has more right now.

Are you talking developers or concurrent active players

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

payday 3 concurrent players

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Meanwhile for funny crime clown cop combat simulator 2013 also playable on the ps3 and xbox 360:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

what I was wondering is if they expanded when they fixed the game two years later, and yeah, they did

I just looked it up and starbreeze has 130 employees, so I don't think manpower is the issue

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

payday 3 concurrent players

Fuckin lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

explosivo posted:

Overkill's really been put to shame by the Helldivers devs with regards to how they handled their lovely hosed up launches. I think it helps that HD2 is just more fun to play so people want to play in spite of the problems unlike PD3 which has passed launch issues and is now just a mid as hell game, but the update cadence and messaging has been great the whole time with HD2 and I think that's shown in the response from the community who is understandably upset but still choking the servers to get in and play more. Meanwhile PD3 is getting DX12 and an unready button this week, 5 months after launch. And according to their blog update, from now until April, "we’ll be strengthening our internal pipelines and making sure we can deliver updates more reliably and really hit those deadlines going forward."

I'm sticking to my guns from early PD3: the question isn't "how can PD3 be fixed" it's "what will PD4 look like." I'm operating under the assumption that since no particular person or company is clinging to the IP like grim death, and the IP isn't really tainted given that PD2 still has decent player numbers, somebody somewhere in the economy will eventually make a PD4. No guarantee but seems more likely than not.

The HD2 thing is very illustrative and is evidence for why "the servers are hosed that's the only problem" crowd was so unconvincing even at their best. Every decently anticipated game launch has server problems, its as routine as the sun rising and setting. And for that matter it isn't the balance that was the problem, that's a thing that only sweaty redditors really believe can kill a game. HD2 has a bunch of balance missions - there's a far more clear tier listing of weapons and stratagems than in almost any other game I've played, a major mechanic functionally doesn't exist, and one of the most common mission types is borked. But the core gameplay is REALLY fun and Arrowhead has over a decade of commitment to a very clear design principle of "friendly fire should be friendly" that they've really nailed. Actually playing HD2 does not feel boring or like a chore or, especially salient here, like the worse version of a readily available competitor. The core gameplay of PD3 was less fun than the core gameplay of PD2, and PD2 is very much still alive and competing with PD3.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

They updated the game with 300 fixes :confuoot:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I mean shoot, I'll give it another try, although helldivers 2 might've been the nail in the player base coffin

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I should have uninstalled the game entirely especially when my Payday group (and more friends!) all jumped on Helldivers, because this patch is now downloading a single file on steam, validating the entire game, and repeating. It's been updating for two days, lmao.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I should have uninstalled the game entirely especially when my Payday group (and more friends!) all jumped on Helldivers, because this patch is now downloading a single file on steam, validating the entire game, and repeating. It's been updating for two days, lmao.

lol

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This is the weirdest Dr. Miserable run I've ever seen.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
they just shitcanned the CEO of starbreeze: https://www.ign.com/articles/starbreeze-ceo-out-after-payday-3-disaster

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The CEO bears some responsibility but it's hard to tell how much blame should go lower in the organization, or with their infra contractor, or with their publisher.

Anyways, I welcome this new challenging responsibility

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

How many CEOs have rotated in and out of starbreeze in the past decade? 3?

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I think the question now is how much more Embracer is going to tolerate. I'd be surprised if PD3 lasts a full year with all the issues going on. I can very well see them pulling the plug if things don't shape up too quickly.

Here's an analysis from one of Payday 2's biggest supporters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd64khpFyLg. There's a lot to unpack, but he raises a lot of valid points.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 13, 2024

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The game itself isn't boring (from memory, since I haven't played since launch) but the grind and the things in it to unlock to keep people wanting to play are.

Play 20000 hours to unlock brown gloves

I was ironically interested to see the trade hostages mechanic. Was hoping it would let you eke out a semi non combat round etc but it was like trade increasing hostages for 4 more seconds

And i realized oh this game doesnt want to be interesting

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

It is wild looking at helldivers 2 getting patches every few days that fix poo poo and add stuff while payday 3 has…this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, all we get is weekly updates on stuff that's maybe gonna happen in the future.

ZeusCannon posted:

The game itself isn't boring (from memory, since I haven't played since launch) but the grind and the things in it to unlock to keep people wanting to play are.

Play 20000 hours to unlock brown gloves

I was ironically interested to see the trade hostages mechanic. Was hoping it would let you eke out a semi non combat round etc but it was like trade increasing hostages for 4 more seconds

And i realized oh this game doesnt want to be interesting

I mean delaying the assault is a good enough mechanic, but after that it's pretty much useless. I was hoping that the "trade hostages for supplies" mechanic they advertised at launch would give you move then one type of supplies. It's all good mechanics in principle, they're just executed poorly.