Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

OP posted:

Otherwise, there aren't any objectively bad DLC packs.

The Medieval pack is quite terrible, but its saving grace is the explosive bows. Especially the crossbows, because I have no clue how to aim the English longbow.

Also, agree that Death Wish is a lot more manageable than it used to be. Because of the greater range of weapons (admittedly, many locked behind paid DLC) and skills It's now legitimately challenging rather than the utter bullshit difficulty it was initially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Doing the heists in order might be amusing, only gently caress GO Bank. poo poo heist that's more annoying than fun, stealth or loud.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
The pub stove sure was burning hot tonight. One hour or so of playtime, grand total of one heist completed.

Highlights amongst a horrific litany of mistakes, disconnects, being kicked and of course blatant cheaters (all on DW):

- Pubby fires unsilenced gun in stealth run of diamond store.
- Level 33 guy shoots guard then walks up to window on 2nd floor of diamond store, is inevitably seen and triggers alarm.
- Diamond store successfully ECM-rushed, I pick up keycard to disable alarm, pubby breaks alarmed glass before I do.
- Pubby disconnects from call for no apparent reason on bank heist, alarm is triggered.

So much for a relaxing evening of easy cash from the most stealthable heists!

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

CommunistPancake posted:

after an hour or so of trying - Diamond Store stealth.

Patience of a saint. Personally I don't feel the heist is worth trying for an hour!

Also the best way to do it is to disable the alarm, then place an ECM, then grenade the gently caress out of the first floor. After which all remaining civilians standing outside should be shot down in cold blood. :gibs:

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Although the rewards are smaller, Diamond Store is even easier to stealth than H&T unless there is no door to the cam room in the side alley. Just take out the cam room, go to the second floor - which the guards usually path to, thus making it easy to kill them - and kill guards/manager and disable alarm. Then ECM rush, which is even easier than H&T because you can rain grenades down from the second floor landing.

Of course, pubbies can gently caress even this up.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Nightclub is easier to do loud than stealth, I think. It's full of chokepoints and there are plenty of hostages should you need them. You can even block off two entrances for a long period with the gas cans. Keycard opens one door and if someone else has ECM/C4 then things are even easier. Just have somebody with Expert Driver and it's one of the easiest DW heists.

By the way, someone invite me to the Goons' PD group? For another option when I don't want to deal with pubby BS. Steam ID is i c wiener. Thanks!

Wastrel_ fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 1, 2015

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Fellis posted:

Please provide a link to your steam profile!

Here you go.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Just finished a GO Bank where we had mostly stealthed it, but then managed to miss one phone call (ridiculous in of itself - local bank doesn't answer within 3 rings = robbery by evil mega-criminals and cue for giant swarm of heavily-armed police?). So we fought out the remainder of the heist with lovely stealth weapons and I found that a silenced Gruber Kurz with iron sights is surprisingly effective for killing dozers. :v:

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Met a great pub team and knocked out 8 of the 10 new achievements using 3 different builds. Both new heists are really fun on Overkill, but have not tried on DW. Quite sure it'll be nightmarish, though, given the incredible cop spawns on both. And yes, the money hunt on Birth of Sky is incredibly annoying and smacks of fake difficulty. The sewer escape is still alright - at least it's without a time limit!

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Tulip posted:

Finally did overdrill. We nearly ran out of medical supplies but it was actually pretty doable.

Overdrill is easy as long as there is basic teamwork. For instance, not attempting to have 2 people defend the drill while 2 disable the magnetic lock.

Then, once you get into the vault, you don't even need that so long as you packed an M308/sniper rifle and sufficient ammo. Hardest part from then on is moving 84 bags of loot.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Laputanmachine posted:

I'd say the hardest part towards the end is getting out of the vault area to the escape sequence through the hellscape that is the front of the bank. Dumping the gold into the vents is easy, if time-consuming.

Easy enough so long as the team moves together, which is admittedly a problem when playing with pubs.

Sometimes not even necessary, if the vault spawns on the same side of the bank as the escape!

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

oohhboy posted:

Smoke and flash bangs at the same time is loving players over and the game has more than enough of both as it is. On DW smoke gets used almost continuously especially if you have to stay in place. I would have been more than happy if DW was just increased spawns and the skulldozer. As far as increased spawns go, Overkill has that covered on the newer maps. Turrets are aggravating enough as they are, forget about killing them with normal bullets, which leaves the flamer or lots of HE rounds. Winters is also annoying enough as it is, don't go removing the few weaknesses he has other than not moving. Stop removing options, it's unfun.

Only one change will make DW more fun: revival gives back 50% health like it does on Overkill. I always thought giving back only 10% was arbitrary and unfair (on PD:TH with Overkill 145+, too); the one specific thing put into the difficulty level with the sole purpose of loving players over. Even with that, though Deathwish is easy enough these days with proper teamwork. It was much, much worse when first introduced because players had far fewer options to handle the new difficulty (eg no dodge builds existed at that time).

That aside, yes you need to get good because turrets are almost no trouble on any map so long as one knows how to take cover. Winters is also laughably easy with a mobile (dodge/grinder) build and an explosive Judge. I've attacked him alone on Deathwish while others were completing objectives and beaten him in a matter of minutes. The thing about DW is that it's generally not a good idea to stay in a single place for very long, because you're more than likely to be overwhelmed. Run, gun, take cover/regenerate health, repeat.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Discendo Vox posted:

I have intermittent reports of flamethrowers no longer instantly destroying turrets after today's patch. Can anyone confirm?

Nope, did a Deathwish Beneath the Mountain and mine took out the ceiling turret with alacrity.

DW Beneath the Mountain is surprisingly manageable too, once we figured out that it's best to move together to blow up each radar rather than scattering. ie, basic teamwork :v:

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Just finished Birth of Sky on DW and the enemy spawns are incredible, especially in the sewers. During our first failed run cops were literally spawning in faster than we could murder them. On the second, the distance to escape was mercifully shorter and we made it.

They need to rebalance the sewers portion, with this kind of spawn rate success/failure is essentially dependent on RNG in terms of how much distance lies between you and the boat.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Talk of goon playthroughs made me remember very vaguely that there was a PD: TH LP at some point. Found it in the LP archive and watched a few of the videos. Ah, when Overdrill didn't mean moving 84 loot bags on the highest difficulty...

Anyone ever going to do one for PD2?

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I also feel like this game is more interesting to play than to watch. I've recorded a bunch of raw footage for internet points and never watched it myself, but trying to watch other people play, no matter how good they were at the game, wasn't entertaining.

Personally, I can't really enjoy watching people play games that I'm myself proficient at. I get too nitpicky. That's why I never finished the entire PD: TH LP. I would watch a PD2 LP though, to see how people stealth heists because I'm mostly a loud player.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
It's a bit better than it used to be, but armour is still considerably inferior to grinder/dodge builds on DW. Unlike when DW first came out, you won't get outright slaughtered when using ICTV and Muscle, and the recent perk deck re-balance helped some, but it's really important to know where and when to take cover because your armour and life will be shot up very quick if you don't.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Well, on a lark I reinstalled Payday: The Heist after nearly 3 years of not playing it. It took myself, a friend and assorted pubbies 3 tries apiece to beat Panic Room and First World bank on Hard. I certainly don't remember it being this difficult back in 2013, did they tweak the difficulty since? I mean, I used to solo farm challenges on Hard and still manage to beat the heists. Many more specials than I expected, including 4 cloakers in the closing escape portion of First World Bank and a generally overwhelming number of Heavy Swat. or maybe I'm just that rusty!

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Discendo Vox posted:

It takes a lot of getting used to the mechanical differences between payday 1 and 2. It also sounds like you got some of the worst spawns possible- the 4 cloakers event on FWB is really rare. I can only solo a couple heists on Hard, and even then there's some luck involved.

When you compare PD: TH Hard difficulty with PD2 Hard difficulty, the difference is considerable. I would say PD: TH Hard difficulty is a lot closer to Overkill on PD2, what with large numbers of Heavy Swat (PD2 Hard is mostly blue swat), plenty of specials (hardly any on PD2 Hard) and multiple bulldozers (maybe the very occasional one on PD2 Hard).

Which makes me wonder how I ever completed any heists on Overkill 145+!

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
You would think so, but I've seen high Infamy pubbies struggle to complete Overkill. Maybe they cheated their way up, though/

Anyway levelling is much easier now than it used to be. They even give you XP after each day of multi-day heists, which means you won't end up with nothing due to disconnecting or being kicked so long as you complete at least 1 day. This didn't use to be the case, which meant great frustration when disconnects occurred at the end of Hoxton Breakout or other high XP payout heists. XP also scales with the number of bags you get on Rats and a few other heists too, which again wasn't the case previously.

Of course, nothing beats the good old days of multiple Rats runs when the first Infamy update was new. Another method used back then - which I didn't, I quit the game for the time being instead - was to get the train heist through an armoured transport job, then suicide off the bridge because each failed run would still give you about 40,000 XP or so. Doing this for a couple of hours would apparently get you from 0 to 100 at the cost of any and all fun or self-respect.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Next most annoying thing after people still foaming at the mouth over microtransactions: people calling for the game difficulty to be buffed. These usually aren't high-level infamy but claim they've been playing for a long time and are not higher level infamy nor done all the heists on DW because they find the game boring. How convenient.

Me, I like a game that I can win. What do these loving grognards do all day that daily life isn't already stressful enough?

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

tension, stress, and attrition is still the best part of payday. did you ever play the original by any chance? I'm banking on no

Played it from release, didn't get golden mask but did finish all heists on Overkill difficulty and most of them on Overkill 145+.

Yes, it was also a game I could win, so no problems. But the way some people talk, they want a game where every heist needs 10 tries or more before you manage limp to the van with 5% health as 15 black dozers are sprinting into the map after you. There are even people who suggest that the static which signals that cloakers are near, is making the game too easy.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
They're probably too busy trying to fix the latest crash, which has hilariously already forced them to cut an integral aspect of the game. Temporarily. So they say.

Also, it seems that the Payday 2 Steam forums have entirely disappeared...

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Good memories of beating Counterfeit on Overkill 145+ by getting to the escape at the literal last second of the countdown timer.

Undercover, not so much. Plenty of snipers and also the stupid loving jump at the very end.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Counterfeit trap seems to be bugged - can't interact with the C4 and so can't move on with the game.

Both heists are a heck of a lot easier than their PDTH predecessors. Undercover is easier on DW than it used to be on Overkill in PDTH. The Counterfeit escape is nothing without a countdown timer of 30 seconds on Overkill 145+ from the time you open the sewer grate.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Geight posted:

Overall the new heists feel kind of flat to me, I can't put a specific reason on it but neither one got my interesting like FWB or Slaughterhouse did. They just felt too easy, I guess?

Counterfeit was originally one of the easier heists in PD: TH, yes, with the hardest part on Overkill 145+ being beating the escape timer. Undercover, however, was really difficult and in particular nigh impossible if you got the limo landing on the roof. It was much harder to take out snipers back then and they would absolutely murder you.

Both heists are definitely easier on Payday 2, though.

Waiting for No Mercy to make an appearance now...

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Rather ridiculous that an FBI officer literally cannot see you crouching in front of him in a totally straight corridor, though.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
'Game is not hard enough' is the new 'gently caress you Overkill for microtransactions'. At least it's rational discussion here though, unlike on the Steam forums where someone suggested removing the Restart option because having it there is 'spoiling the community'.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Discendo Vox posted:

Hey now, I'm not an antisemite. More generally, when large segments of the playerbase are generally finding the game too easy, the game might actually be too easy. The powercreep problem itself has been pretty accepted since the stat rebalance, if not before.

Well and good, except that the Steam forums might not represent a significant segment of the playerbase, and also most of the people who claim the game is too easy have barely made a dent in the DW heist achievements.

I like the power creep, DW on large heists was all but impossible before it.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Discendo Vox posted:

If there were particular DW heists you were having trouble with, we could discuss them? DW represents the other end of the bimodal distribution of outcomes- the blunt way that difficulty was implemented was what got me interested in discussing the game's design and balance in the first place. Black dozers are just the most infamous part of that process.

DW when it was first introduced was unbelievably terrible because at that time neither perk decks nor dodge builds existed, let alone powerful weapons like RPGs, molotovs, flamethrowers. The newest innovation at that time was grenades, which did gently caress-all on DW. The most viable build at that time was the techforcer, which tanked damage very well on Overkill. But DW - then as now - meant more policemen who could hit harder. So being hit was inevitable on DW, and the damage was such that 3-4 bullets could totally drain a fully upgraded ICTV, after which 3-4 shots would down you (remember - no muscle perk deck nor health regen at this time). So you had a situation where the most viable build made you slow and thus unable to avoid enemy fire, and this enemy fire would quite rapidly bring you down (I believe Muscle perk deck was developed precisely to make heavy armour viable on DW, so that people would have an alternative to/shut the gently caress up about akimbo fugiminds). After which you got revived at 10% health - and no cupcakes existed at this time, either! So it was either heal, or get inevitably rapidly downed again and eventually go into custody. So health bags tended to go quickly, and once they went things essentially became a death spiral. Hence only shorter heists could be beaten as only then would the health supplies last long enough.

That was unbelievably unfun to play and led me to quit the game for nearly a year. I'll take the current DW over that stupid bullshit any day of the week.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
After playing for hundreds of hours since they made drills a card drop, I finally got one yesterday. But go figure, it was for the Wolf Safe, of which I have none...

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Wonder if new update stealth-increased the specials spawn rate. Saw a ridiculous number of cloakers on DW Diamond heist - including 4 at one time - and also groups of 3 tasers appearing on Overkill FWB.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Diamond heist is also notorious for having crazy spawn rates already. What you're describing sounds normal for that map.

There is that, but I've played the heist multiple times and yes, seen 2 or even 3 cloakers pop up together, but never 4 all at once. I've also played FWB multiple times but never seen clusters of 3 tasers appear until today. SWAT, shield and dozer numbers were about standard though.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
I'm personally just glad they've stopped the practice of locking weapon mods behind achievements. That was just poo poo all around.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
It doesn't build as much character as ziplining back and forth on White Xmas taking potshots with the R93.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Why the hell would you do that one on White Xmas?

It has long ziplines for much cop-zhooting potential.

Tulip posted:

Unpopular opinion: I like locking mods behind achievements. The problem with the sniper achievements was that several were painful and grindy.

Not so bad, yes, if the achievements are not stupid and annoying to get, but I like being able to immediately use the stuff I paid for without jumping through arbitrary hoops.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
To be honest, the one where you had to kill 25 bulldozers with the gewehr - in a time before DMR kit - was worse.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Reserving judgement until I see the other proposed trees - except that bit about reducing the total number of skill points. gently caress that poo poo, it's a rip-off.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Putting the reduction in flashbang duration as a tier 1 skill is a good idea, but it would be much better if they used this opportunity to totally reform the flashbangs instead. Currently these are spawned randomly at players' feet (ie, you can't avoid them at all), often without any cops nearby, ensure that you can't see poo poo, and last for a stupidly long time without that particular skill. It's the most commonplace example of fake difficulty in the game. In fact, they should reduce the visual duration of flashbangs overall and use that skill slot for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Going to pop in and say again that forced stealth heists make absolutely zero sense within the Payday 2 universe. The gang has carried out multiple, multi-day heists in which they have slaughtered thousands of elite policemen and heavily armed mercenaries. Somehow they have to steal an item undetected or they'll be 'hosed'. Why can't they just shoot their way out given they've done it so many times against incredibly heavy odds on so many other occasions?

Did get all the achievements with a good group of pubbies though, so never playing that one again because forced stealth is stupid and unfun.