Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Can someone who knows how to mod textures and stuff give me the down-low on editing normal maps in, say, Photoshop? Almost every texture creation tutorial for gamebryo games I've found covers diffuse maps and that's it. I'm trying to remove the patches and such on the faded trenchcoat, and I've already done that on the actual texture, but any time I edit the normal maps it goes nuts on certain parts of the body. So I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a quick run-down of how not to gently caress it up, or hell, how to make normal maps out of the diffuse map so I don't have to bother editing the vanilla one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

staberind posted:

I dunno if people have replied, but I use the .dds plugin in gimp, I have not tried the F4 normals yet, but from my experience, you can check this out: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/236994-tut-normal-map-plugin-for-beginners/ also, if i recall correctly, the alpha setting nowadays is to control gloss, with a 100% alpha being shiny, and the more transparent you go the more matte the map is.

Thank you, I will take a look.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

:nexus: went and did it again, terrible nude mods exist. I'd just avoid the Fallout 4 frontpage/hotfiles listing on Nexus from now on TBH.

*guy who turned on auto-showing adult-only mods on his profile spotted*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1754/

Alternate Start mod is here, in its first early stages. As of right now you load two bat files, one which places you at the end of the vault 111 sequence so you can do your character creation, and then another of your choosing to place you in the alternate start. Future updates will probably go to lengths to make this automatic but that'd likely require the creation tools to do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Here's the thing about an alt start mod for FO4: nearly every line of dialogue audibly contradicts nearly every one of them. How would a modder even begin to fix this?

N/A

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fallout 4 has the (very slight) benefit of allowing you to say "I have my own reasons for being here" or "I'm just looking around" in a lot of cases. The main plot is still the search for your son, and if you do say you're just looking around the game will act as if you're lying even with an alternate start, but it could be worse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

reagan posted:

I'm hesitant to read the other threads due to spoilers. Does joining the Brotherhood with Danse lock you out of content with other factions in the future? I've put that quest off for a while, and now I've finally crossed to the other side of the river and I still have yet to talk to Danse. I want vertibirds.

It doesn't, no. The game makes it very clear when you're about to lock yourself out of other factions and they all have an explicit "this will make the other factions pissed off at you" point of no return quest.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The general idea is that you're supposed to turn off anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering in the ingame options, and then use ENB's more lightweight versions instead (which are on by default). But ENB looks bad, so don't use it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also it has a bug where it permanently slaps the name/copyright info of the racist, homophobic creator on your character's forehead

CJacobs posted:

From 4chan of all places:

There's a bug with the fallout 4 ENB, which released yesterday, that permanently tattoos the name/copyright info of the ENB creator rear end in a top hat on your character's forehead. I almost, almost think it was done on purpose because that guy hates human life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LumberingTroll posted:

Its not true at all, ive been using it a while, since when do people believe stuff that comes out of 4chan?

I've seen at least a couple more shots of it happening since I made that post a week or so ago so you can choose to believe it or not, it happens and nobody knows why.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SplitSoul posted:

Try this, I'm running TAA with the sharpening filter and it looks much better.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout4_1.html

The solution to overly smooth AA is to add a sharpening filter to remove what the AA just did, huh

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fereydun posted:

heads up: millenia released a retexture for the double barrel shotgun
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2211/

(why the hell are all my guns vibrating in TFC mode also what the heck is that cross-hatching)

It begins :getin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From 4chan: Someone managed to port a functioning version of the previous games' Chinese Assault Rifle into FO4. Very impressive without the creation kit. Note that it has a number of, uh, issues, but it does work as a weapon over top of whatever they replaced with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FadedReality posted:

If you want to see something real :psyduck:, go look at the comments on the Remove Interior Fog mod. Pages of super mad arguing over a subjective change to visuals.

Lol what a stupid thing to act self-righteous about

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sure, if you feel that way then that's your view of the game's aesthetic principles. But it's not very kind to say that, and then also say "I only think that because it's the objectively correct thing to believe and everybody else is a loving sheep who likes bad looking video games :smuggo:".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

7c Nickel posted:

The sole entry for the user pictures continues the creepy fine tradition of female PCs that looks like they're on the edge of tears.

She looks more disgruntled than anything, and I would be too if I made the poor decision of getting a wasteland tattoo on my face.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

I love this mod, just for the long, long description.

Dude, what.

What does the mod... do?? Is it a mod at all??? Is it a science lesson????

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am sure there will be a myriad of mods to make crafting infinitely more tedious and annoying than it already is and I do not look forward to them clogging the nexus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Ok what the gently caress. Just, what, the gently caress. Why doesn't the railway rifle make a choo choo noise after every shot anymore.

Save me modders!!

It choo-choo-s when you reload, not when you fire, this time around.

edit: So there is still choo-choo-ing, just not what some would call an adequate amount.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Magmarashi posted:

REJOICE ye Unwashed Goones, the First Edition of CBBE for Fallout 4 is here and barbie-doll plastic as ever!

:nws:http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15/:nws:

EDIT: \/\/\/ poo poo! Sorry, edited for tags

:sigh: great. Can't wait for every in-depth clothing model edit and animation replacer that comes out in the future to require it to work just like with NV.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, the green boundary lines themselves don't actually define anything, they're just physical objects that represent where the boundary line is. There are a couple places where you can get objects to poke out of the boundaries because the buildable area is sliiightly bigger, but the actual size of the area is all handled internally. I am looking forward to the first mods that make it so you can build wherever you want, as well as the myriad of things that will break horribly when you do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gobblecoque posted:

It's almost a given that whenever there's a handful of posts saying "this is dumb" that other posters will fall over themselves to say that it's a tidal wave of mouth-frothing rage. It's really helpful in letting you know who to add to your ignore list, God bless their hearts.

It's hard not to make fun of people who don't do their research and then complain about an issue that literally does not exist

• Locked thread