Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the mbta has a pretty good api that i have used via a third party app before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

i mean look how loving enormous these fuckers are

and you can't buy the contactless cards from them, they have one or two separate machines that just do that

and if you run out of money on your contactless card before you exit a station, the only machine behind the gates you can use to add money to the card only accepts cash

this is the second largest mass transit subway system in the united states

DC Metro is bigger than mbta? dang our ridership dumpsters yours last I looked

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

new York is obviously in a league of it is own

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I'm the excluded busiest line and other aspects of Boston mass transit lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Green line averages around 330k a day iirc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mbta ridership is 1.3 million per day in a msa of 4.7 million people

don't "boston maybe" that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also considering dc metro is half commuter rail lets toss in the mbtas 368 miles of commuter rail track to that track length total

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://www.apta.com/resources/statistics/Pages/RidershipArchives.aspx heres a lot of data

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have very strong positive feelings about the mbta

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

which is hosed up because boston blows rear end

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

does green line go past lechmere yet? I remember seeing condo listings for somerville circa 2007 where the future green line was pretty much the main thing mentioned

lol nope that got axed

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

there used to be but then they got rid of it (lol) and lately theyve been thinking about bringing it back (double lol)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bus lanes don't work. they become either parking or rush-hour lanes depending on time of day and volume and completely gently caress up cyclists

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if your bus lanes have bollards they must be very separate from the actual road and basically are just dedicated busways?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the mbta green line has grade crossings and moves 330k passengers per day. additionally, the extension plan to somerville was by itself enough to spur development of somerville without even laying any track

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

the T is good

mega fuckin extremely agreed. only good thing about boston tbh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

boston is a neat city

boston transit is kinda terrible

you got these things backwards. boston is actually kinda terrible, but the transit is neat

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

somerville is an uninteresting brooklyn lite

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

13,000 late night rides in all of December on a transit system that averages a million rides per day

Yeah big loving surprise it's getting shitcanned

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually unions are good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol the tube doesnt even run 24/7 how can people pretend london is a real city

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

lol the stats for the T don't include the green line, the one 99% of peopele i knew in boston lived off of

ya green line alone would be 10th on the list of NA systems lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

lmao let's not measure the system that takes people to the professional sports venue

let's not measure the four subway lines that tie the largest portion of residential boston to the downtown area

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

the green line is not meaningfully different than the other lines of the T; shaggar was right

nah its the only one with at-grade crossings, street-level (non-platformed) car entrances, and overhead power

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c transit s I am about to board a bus

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

boston sucks to cycle in because the road conditions are atrocious and traffic volume is absolutely insane

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

shits not far but you'll be dead or have a flat before you get there

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Grandmaster.flv posted:

dont be a wuss. cycling means you don't have to deal with traffic and if you keep getting flats get better tires. I get what you mean but it's just a learning curve. if you can handle Boston/NYC streets on the daily you can basically bike any other city just off that core skillset

source: I bike Boston/Camberville as a job

nah this city is trash for biking in, sorry about your terrible job

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and cycling in boston is literally 100% dealing with traffic. it is 100% try not to get murdered by terrible taxis buses trucks and assholes in bmws

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like yeah camberville its not too bad but in downtown literally you get murdered

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Grandmaster.flv posted:

that's everywhere with cars. somebody on the pos posted a video of a guy on a bike getting owned by a guy on a motorcycle in some canyon in the middle of nowhere

there's cars trying to kill you no matter where you go. at least Boston is putting more protected cycle tracks though for people like you who are understandably skittish about dealing with traffic.

I totally get what you're saying though. once you bike in traffic regularly it kind of goes away. I mean you're always hyper vigilant but it's not nearly as stressful. you still have the same random chance of death but you at least learn better ways of anticipating death

uh I deliver farmshare/csa goods via bike and on some days I do recycling pickup for the city of Cambridge via bike.

this is my whip

pre trash that bike weighs 400lbs by itself. my high score is 500lbs of recycling on it according to the scale at the recycling center. let me tell you you haven't lived until you've tried to take that loving tank on a 40mph rd.

hahaha this bike fuckin owns

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

look at a map of section 8 housing overlaid with subway lines and realize how useless the subway is to the occupants

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I make a deece six figgies and can barely afford to live within walk bike bus distance of work

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

you cant make bus and bicycle commutes more practical. they're fundamentally garbage.

don't sign your posts

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Metrication posted:

friends a beautiful long boy has arrived

a good place to put your gaming pc on the way to the lan sesh

what a nice place for the poo to come out

how many men on the train ? the train knows and for your comfort will tell you

with 12 carriages he is 240 metres long... and every carriages has no obstruction between...

that is some hot poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

trolleys are bad

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

which street

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Grandmaster.flv posted:

mass ave. between the bridge to like symphony

oh nice

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wish they'd unfuck boylston/essex, heading east across the city is basically impossible past the common/garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Share Bear posted:

it'd be nice if it was just "trucks, buses, and taxis only" or like that london congestion thing , there's probably some unintended consequence to this

fygmers get mad

• Locked thread