Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Krazyface posted:

I'm kind of dreading the next book, not because I think it'll be bad, but because everything's super hosed, and the title is really dark. Like I almost don't want to read it.
I know what you mean, it's going to be interesting. Also there's a thread for the book series, where you won't have to use spoiler tags for thoughts like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ShineDog posted:

There's so much forced interpersonal drama and drama in general in the show that I just don't like. At least in the two episodes I watched.

Like, when the Cant goes up, in the book there are shared commiserations and they get drunk while waiting days for pickup. In the show it's recriminations to the point of pulling guns on each other, a space walk, and suffocation. What none of it did was make me like these people any more, instead I thought they were idiots.

I'm still mostly enjoying it but I'm generally not a fan of all angst, all the time writing. I'll keep trucking on.
It's funny, I saw the show before reading the books, and I thought that it was bizarre how buddy-buddy everyone in the book was instantly. They were just coworkers on an ice hauler, but their ship blows up and somehow they're all instantly inseparable and ready to die for each other?

It feels like they earned their camaraderie more in the show, to be honest. The fact that they're not close at the start makes their bond later more meaningful. Though even at the end of season one they're not at book levels of closeness, but you can clearly see that they're getting there.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Daktari posted:

Since this is tviv; tl;dr we won't go to space untill everyone is in agreement that the earth is irrevocably hosed, and starts putting serious funding into it over 25 years
This is kind of a tangent, but one thing I really appreciate about more recent Kim Stanley Robinson (Mars trillogy guy), is his emphasis that... if the Earth is hosed, we're hosed. We can't escape.

Even in the Expanse world (to keep this from getting too off topic), humanity is still entirely dependent on Earth's biological resources. Sure there's plenty of minerals out there, but we're learning more and more that ecologies are what we need, not elements. And those are far more complicated than you'd imagine.

Sure, with the Earth as our base of operations we can sustain human civilization across the solar system, but we can never replace it. Mars can't be terraformed in a lifetime. It's a project that might take thousands of years. Nowhere else is remotely set up to support a biosphere. Even massive space habitats would represent only a tiny fraction of Earth's biological resources, and as we've seen whenever we've tried to mess with that kind of stuff, that will cause problems.

tl;dr: Sci-fi dreams of infinite possibilities are hosed up if they make us forget the finite limitations of reality. Nothing can save us if we gently caress up the Earth.

(Also, more people should read Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Collateral posted:

I consider Cibola Burns a side book which gives Miller a send off*

*I hope he makes a comeback as a personality aspect of the alien god-head.

The books are good, even the bad ones, but holy hell why would you post this in the TV thread?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cender posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivej0OW7WZk

In case you need a season one recap.
My stepmother helped with filming that, apparently.

Things have been pretty bad in her life recently, and she said she was getting out to do some parody thing with cats, which I thought was odd, but good for her to work through things by getting out and doing stuff... and then it turned out it was a parody of the Expanse for Syfy and holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo that's adorable.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I thought part of it was that .3g was comfortable. Any less than that and you have trouble actually working and moving and stuff. Any more than that... what's the point? So your dockworkers can hold their own against Earthers in a fistfight? Seems like .3g is a necessary minimum, and so they naturally would never go above it.

Not to mention, .3g is coincidentally about what Mars has, so if you spun your asteroids any more they'd end up being uncomfortable for visiting Martians.

Edit: Also, I thought it was implied that most Belters are hosed up because they don't even get that .3g. Only a small minority of Belters live in places like Ceres. Most of them spend most of their lives in ships, with incredibly variable apparent gravity.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

An asteroid may not be a solid hunk of iron ore but a gravel pile loosely held together by gravity. Or there may be fissures and structural weaknesses in the rock. Spinning too hard might cause the whole thing to fall to pieces with obviously bad consequences for the inhabitants.

Also above 1-2 RPM even the most acclimated individuals will suffer from horrible vertigo.
Well spinning it up so it feels like .3g away from the center of the asteroid would already take care of all that gravel!

I always thought it was mind boggling that Ceres in this setting is spinning so that space is below you, and the mass of the planet is effectively above you. Those scenes in the airlock really confused me when I first saw the show, but that's how it'd work- if you opened the airlock, you'd fall out of the planet into the void of space.

It's neat.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 12, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Xealot posted:

On this point, do the Expanse books go into Venus at all?
Yes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Not to mention, the people on Mars now were born on Mars. You might say their grandparents were dumb, but they can't help where they were brought up.

Also there are more concerns than gravity. They're different countries with different national values and civic institutions like any other. Earth is packed full of people with no purpose- economically unneeded with nothing to give them any other sense of meaning. Just a basic income and possibly drugs. Anyone who wants a job needs to compete for a vanish small number of them, and basically the whole service sector is filled with unpaid interns who are working for years unpaid to prove that they have the dedication for one of the few real jobs. And the belt is a lovely low budget resource extraction and transportation operation where only the barest consideration is given to human comfort. No one's bothered to make any nice space habitats.

So you have Mars, which has its poo poo together, has a gainfully employed population driven by their terraforming project and supported by a stable government. And for whatever reason* Earth can't leave them alone, and keeps trying to steal Martian resources in the belt to fritter away on all the institutional inertia and decay on that planet. Clear oppression!

*The reason probably being that the UN needs to support billions of unemployed people, which is clearly more imperative than wasting all those resources on a few people living in glorified tents on a frozen desert world.

I have to say, I really do love the premise and all the different perspectives in the Expanse world.

Platystemon posted:

Minor book difference speculation: Bobbie is really channelling Martian animosity. I wonder if that’s just a trailer thing.
Judging by how hostile the Roci crew are to each other at the start, I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to play up Bobbie's nationalism, and possibly make her more closed-minded at first, so they can give her more of a character arc to work through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

They kind of implied it in the show when they mentioned Holden has eight biological parents for tax purposes.

I actually don't remember exactly how it works now, but I guess you're entitled to one child per person, and you get credit for having less. So his rather large family, rather than having eight kids and living on minimum basic or whatever, had one kid and lived on a 22 acre farm.

• Locked thread