Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So I have this game now. I'm about Level 21.

Is there a trick to aiming in these kinds of games? When I'm not shooting people's knees, I could swear I'm shooting them square in the face five times and still dying while they live on.

Had the same kinds of issues with the only other multiplayer shoot-em-up thing I played, the High Moon Transformers games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Kelly posted:

The assisted aim (if you are using it) locks on for a split second before the target start to move. Once the target moves, it breaks its locks and you're probably only really shooting around them.

Is that the Focus Fire charge thing?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

MorsAnima posted:

No, that's console assisted aim, which most shooters have. PC don't typically have it, because mice are a lot easier to 'aim' with, a lot twitchier.

Ah, okay. I'll have to look into how to turn that on if it's not already. Although it's not like anybody in these games stays still long enough to properly lock on.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Alan Smithee posted:

Which blaster are you using? They all have different Dps or rof and finding your stride can all come down to picking the right one for you

I'm changing up. Right now I'm trying to finish the Targeting Rifle challenge (which sadly doesn't seem to count as a 'long range' rifle, so I have to do that challenge separately), so I'm doing a bit more sniping. I'm getting better. The game can easily feel like a lot of running around to find something to shoot at and then getting killed before you get a chance to do something.

Are the power-ups / hero-ups / ship-ups and such always in the same spots, or do they move periodically?

And the Bowcaster is in the game? I must not have unlocked it yet.

What's the speculation on DLC? Anyone thinking there will be a lot more TFA stuff?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Just read an article that says the Han Solo gun is ruining the game by being overpowered. Is that true? I just unlocked the thing.

vvv I mean the Han Solo-style pistol you can unlock and use, not the actual Han Solo character. Also, I saw a clip of a guy who was getting his trait bonuses super-fast. Is that what the deal is with upgrading them? You don't have to get 10-kill streaks or whatever to get the bonuses?

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 21, 2015

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Wow, I guess I didn't realize how emotes would be audible to everyone at weird moments. That might be fun to do, when I'm not constantly paranoid that I'm about to get shot.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Okay, what qualifies as a "Long-Range Rifle?" for this drat kill challenge? So far, all I've found that counts is the Pulse Cannon, which I just realized you're apparently supposed to "charge" before firing, and I don't know how to do that, but it would explain why everyone else one-shots me with it, but I can't kill nothin' with it.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Thanks for the Pulse Cannon charge knowledge. I see now. I've managed to get ONE more kill with it than I had before now. So hey.

Also, just tried Scan Pulse for the first time. Man, that's useful.

I need to kill 10 airspeeders. But every time I jump in a vehicle in any of these big war modes, some dick with an A-Wing immediately locks on and kills me no matter what evasive moves I pull. It's always an A-wing.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Holy poo poo mind = blown

How so? Just because I'm apparently dumb?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

You think it would mention HOW to charge it if there was a special thing you had to do with it.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm not a huge gamer. The closest thing to this game I played were the High Moon Transformers games. Otherwise, it's usually superheroes or wrestling games, or retro games.

When I saw that you had to charge it, I was trying to hold the RB button - the button I used to activate the gun. The button associated with the gun. I don't think it's all that intuitive to go 'hey, hold the trigger down but only for a little while because it will automatically shoot whether you want it to or not, unless you hit the Y button (which is assigned to a different power but of course it's somehow involved in this power, too) to shut it down without firing.'

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'd like them to add Emperor's Royal Guards to the 'Shock Trooper' option.

Also, learning the maps is difficult, especially Endor. It's all just masses of trees and some of them have Ewok stuff in them.

But I'm always desperately trying to locate the Hero/Vehicle power-ups and I can't tell if they're always in the same place or if they keep changing depending on where the action is focused, as I've seen power-ups vanish as I approached them. I can only get the Hero one if I'm lucky enough to spawn right in front of it.

I still haven't ever located the Millennium Falcon power-up in Fighter Squadron. I did manage to become Slave 1 once, but I haven't been able to repeat it.

Chewie, Lando, IG-88 and Bossk would be my hopes, but it'll probably just be Stormtrooper With Orange Shoulder Thing and Stormtrooper with Blue Shoulder Thing.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

You know, this thing where your trait kicks in the more kills you get seems backwards. It's the people who get killed all the time that need the most help from that trait. I've only ever gotten it to level up a couple times, and I always get killed immediately afterward.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

A-Wings are dicks, but they don't seem to do as well when I'm flying one.

I'm trying to destroy 10 snowspeeders, but A-Wings won't leave me the gently caress alone when I'm TIE-fightering around waiting for speeders to show up to kill. They also never stop being right behind me no matter how much I flip and spin.

What kind of time frame can we expect for DLC? I'm not well versed on all of this. I am apparently "dad rock," if I get the meaning of it. Could the 4 planned expansions take all year to release? What's generally acceptable for these types of things? Grain of salt being that apparently :dice: doesn't do generally acceptable things.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Goddammit. I have two goddamn speeder challenges. Kill poo poo and kill speeders. Ion Torpedo ain't poo poo. I can never find the ship power ups at the right time. This sucks.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Palpek posted:

You know you can just reroll challenges right? It costs 500 points but why spend time doing things you hate for hours just to get a dumb challenge done...reroll it.

I was not aware of this. Although I may use that to get out of my Cargo challenge first. That mode sucks.

Thanks!

vvv Yeah. Realizing Supremacy spawns a lot more Speeders more reliably than Walker Assault made me think I can maybe accomplish them. But I tried Cargo for the first time last night, and that's just a camping nightmare. I might try to give it more of a chance with a different load-out. The Personal Shield might come in handy there.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 5, 2016

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Man, speeders are clunky. But there's apparently a skill to them I just don't have. Sometimes I try to take potshots with the Ion Torpedo to try and clear this challenge, and somehow whoever's flying them can turn around and target me specifically, like he knows where the shot came from. Whereas I can't see anybody I'm shooting at until I'm just about ready to crash. Too bad you can't Scan Pulse in a Speeder Cockpit.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Helmetless Stormtroopers bother me just because they are easily mistaken for rebels when you're trying to fight them, so they can sneak by you sometimes and shoot you in the back of the head like dickbags full of butt sludge.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Chewie, Lando, Bossk, IG-88. That's what I'm rooting for.

There's no way Tarkin gets in, as amusing as it would be to watch Old Man Run And Gun. I'd rather it be Admiral Ozzel in that case.

And it just occurred to me to see if I can make John Ratzenberger's face as a Rebel.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 8, 2016

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Man, Fighter Squadron, trying to finish a TIE Figher kill challenge.

"Red dots, red dots... no, that's AI, that's AI... oh, there's a guy! Gotta close the distance, finally I can target - BOOM A-WING gently caress OFF."

And of course, when I play an A-Wing, and I actually manage to see the Hero power-up, OH YAY I FINALLY GET TO BE MILLENNIUM FAL- BOOM gently caress OFF SLAVE 1!

Someday, I will get to fly the Falcon.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I've never played as the Falcon. I can never get the power-up to play as the Falcon.

And ignoring it is hard when it kills me before I can get to the power-up.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Well, I finally got the Falcon. For about 30 seconds, until Slave-1 rammed directly into me and blew us both up.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I've been sick the last two days. I've played so much Battlefront that last night when I closed my eyes to sleep, all I could see was a field of power-up icons like stars in the night.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Ginette Reno posted:

Is there any trick to dogfighting well in this? I'm really good at pretty much all aspects of the game now but that. I can absolutely rack up the kills strafing people in any kind of fighter, but I still tend to lose more 1v1 fighter v fighter dogfights than I'd like.

It seems like if someone gets on you it's super hard to shake them, and almost impossible if they're any good.

Maybe that's just how the game is, I dunno. Whenever I get the drop on someone in a fighter they usually can't get me off them even if they try every maneuver known to man and likewise whenever a halfway decent pilot starts chasing me I'm hosed no matter what I try.

The trouble is you don't have to shake anybody. You just evade long enough for some other A-Wing to show up and blow you out of the sky while the guy who's dogging you shoots everything he has at you and apparently never hits you ever goddammit just let me get these TIE kills to beat the challenge without getting immediately killed by A-WINGS GODDAMMIT

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Is it me or is the "Targeting Rifle" the least accurate goddamned rifle going?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Casimir Radon posted:

People also don't use AT/ST for anti-air like they should. They go wading into the melee and die really fast. I've racked up something like 8 ship kills plus some guys during an AT/ST session. The only time I ever ho wading in is if the rebels are tacking up Y-Wings on Endor to the point it isn't funny anymore. I'm not surenif it's even possible to shoot down Y-Wings on Endor.

Honestly, I think you CAN shoot down Y-Wings. I know I can target them with ion torpedos. They're just in and out so fast that it's hard to do, but I think I did it accidentally once, but I was still learning the game and couldn't tell you how I did it.

Also, why can't we get speeder bikes on Hoth and Jakku and such? Endor is like the WORST place for them, even if it's canonically accurate. They'd be so much better if you could see where you where going.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 13, 2016

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Weird. The Win 3 Droid Run Matches challenge seems to register losses as wins and wins as losses. Go figure.

EDIT: Or it did for a moment. Ah, glitchypoo.

EDIT AGAIN: So what's the deal with Droid Run where the time flashes 00:00 for a while at the end of a match, letting the game continue for a while?

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 14, 2016

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Nobody here is XBonin' it?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yeah I don't get it. I feel like people are able to kill me from across a map but I can barely hit a guy facing away from me ten feet away

Yeah, I feel like that, too, sometimes. I usually get killed around double the amount of kills I make. You'll get that with chaos like this, I guess.

I just hate it when you spawn a mile away from anything and you just run run run until you get close and then you die before you do anything and have to rinse and repeat.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So the smart rocket. What's up with this thing? I have yet to hit a single person with one.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to track people like I thought it did, but it's a good kaboom to hit AT-STs with, and shoot into hallways full of punks blocking the path to a Control Point/Uplink.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Miraculous little bit on Hero Hunt. Trying to knock out a challenge of getting 20 kills (which took forever), but this last round, I started as Han Solo to allow me to finish it, and then every time Han Solo came up in rotation after that, I got to be him as I happened to be the guy who killed Skywalker. Best I've done on that. Got 24 kills total, which is huge for me in one game.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Man, Luke and Han are going to get parkas, aren't they?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, the bowcaster is kind of a pain to use on console. I don't see it much at all.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Gotta love a Drop Zone spawn where if you run at full speed straight at it, you would never be able to make it to the site in time.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Didn't they just mention a January update two pages ago?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Man, is it ever possible to take the last Turning Point?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Spacebump posted:

I don't play often, but I've still never seen the power up for the Slave 1 or the Falcon.

You've got to go skulking around close to the ground as soon as the game starts. And hope you find it before someone else does.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

And I've found the smaller games like Droid Run and Drop Zone and such are great for accumulating the charges you need to keep your Scan Pulse active for the bigger games, where charges are harder to come by.

Also, I think my favorite challenges so far have been the ones where I have to get a bunch of melee kills. It's amusing to sneak up behind a guy and clobber him with my gun instead of shooting him.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I pretty much only use scan pulse on Endor (since I can't see poo poo for poo poo on that map) or indoors when jerks are camping at entrances and we can't storm in and I need to work around it.

But I forgot you could buy charges, and now that I'm 50+, there's not much I'm saving points for (besides unlocking emotes, since I have all the aliens and when aliens and helmet troopers are an option, I could give a poo poo about the human faces)... and I suppose eventually the Sharpshooter trait, but I still suck so bad at aiming that I even skip all the 'headshot' challenges, so I'd never play that one, unless I decide to give a poo poo about unlocking all the diorama figurines.

Also, I really want them to put speeder bikes on all the other maps, because they'd be so much more fun to ride around on if you could see where the gently caress you're going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I kinda hate that your cards don't recharge instantly upon respawn. I just died, assholes, gimme a break.

• Locked thread