Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I got pulled into a team to do AWS Architecting and then my title magically changed to Software Engineer and now I'm expected to dev stuff (and do AWS stuff). Hilarity Ensues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Volmarias posted:

How quaint, you build your code on your desktop.

:smuggo::hf::yayclod:

We had a dev who did a whole branch of work(a couple months) on an instance store AWS EC2 instance. We added Janitor Monkey to that environment, leashed at first, and he ignored the e-mails so the instance got cleaned up and about a quarter of work for one of our services was gone. :vince:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Make sure you have a planning meeting to plan to write code after you plan booting your workstation.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Bongo Bill posted:

I once had a standup meeting that lasted over an hour. At 60 minutes on the button I sat down in protest. Nobody said anything.

It was rare for things to run over 20 minutes with that group though.

Why the hell didn't you leave? I leave / disconnect when the 15 minute meeting time expires.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I think in PureCloud the emoji's all came from somewhere else but they left the middle finger one :fu: in which is great. We've been campaigning to get more added but the requests fall on deaf ears.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

KoRMaK posted:

e: This thread makes me value the simple processes we have at work.

Praise be. A PM tried to schedule a 6 hour chartering meeting with the infrastructure team. Our boss said no this
Isn't right and the PM was like I don't care. Boss sent out 4 hour random meeting blocks throughout the team for 'solo focus' that made the meeting unable to be scheduled for the next month or so.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

KoRMaK posted:

You also have to have the drive to want to hack through that, which I don't think everyone possess.

This is me right now as I pick up more dev responsibilities. It helps if you don't have a toxic work place where you can ask more advanced devs questions AS LONG AS you are presenting your research and what you tried along with it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Kaiju15 posted:

A nine person scrum just took twenty minutes. It felt like forty.

I think I just need to start calling these things "morning meetings" and lower my expectations.

Seems about right. Our 11 person one that's actually TWO teams + mgmt time takes 45 a day. I decided to stop dying on that hill complaining about it and get a free 45 minutes

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

baquerd posted:

Fight to be the presenter and open up a meeting cost clock.

This is an amazing idea but if we can go on a 15 minute derail about some of the dumbest poo poo I doubt that this would phase them.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I've always heard ~warnings~ about not working on personal projects or open source on your work laptop because they might claim it. Anyone ever had that bite them in the rear end? I've worked on any huge projects of my own yet but I've always heard this caution.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

redleader posted:

I'm so loving sick of the tabs and spaces "debate"

Yeah! I wrote this response using vim!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Gildiss posted:

Hi team, I really hosed up the new release. You all need to work overtime to cover up my massive failings by Monday.

We've had some people ask about providing meals and snacks for this weekend but unfortunately that isn't in the budget and we appreciate you working your hardest to help with this issue! You are a valued employee!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Keetron posted:

Aside: IntelliJ has a Python plugin, yay!

Pycharm is by the same company that makes IntelliJ and you should use that instead of cobbling a plugin in if you get serious.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

geeves posted:

Kind of a crosspost from forza:

I played Forza late last night and have been working on containerizing my company's applications. I had a dream I raced the Docker Whale through the Dubai tunnel only to find out I hadn't configured it correctly an dmy sys admin coworker was my crew chief.

I just had a vacation and I already need another one.

At this point you are already having the mental break so you might as well ride that wave, no need to spend PTO or your money to go somewhere else to do that...

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Volmarias posted:

Notifications come in to your phone if someone @ mentioned you. You have to remember to turn that off, then remember to turn it back on when you're "back".

Don't install that poo poo on your phone. Ever. Same goes for e-mail. You should be getting paged if something is wrong via PagerDuty or another source if someone REALLY needs your attention.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Pollyanna posted:

My family keeps worrying that I wouldn't get a chance to socialize if I wasn't at an office, but offices aren't a great place to socialize anyway, so not much lost on that end IMO.

I always take my family advice about anything job related at arm's length because they think I'm some sort of computer wizard who works for the NSA or CIA but just can't tell them. Computers are scary!

Working remote is a big switch for sure. I made sure to have my work office at my house in a room that has natural daylight. I worked for about 6 months in my basement and that was not a good situation for me. If you develop good "work friends" I suggest you maybe start up a chat application outside of the company scope where you can shoot the poo poo and do other normal social things you'd do in public or over beers. We use hangouts for our bitching and dicking around chat outside of the company sphere of influence. On Friday our remote group tries to do a beer:thirty where we all get on hangouts and have virtual beers.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sometimes a good sativa is a way to clear that blocker you've had.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ChickenWing posted:

what's the ritual to ward against Sev 1s?

Light all the fingers on your Hand of Glory.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Clanpot Shake posted:

Doing my first ever production deploy tonight which entails changing the primary and foreign keys on ~100 million rows and changing the application services to use the new thing. Fingers crossed.

What happens if it stops at 43% changed? Asking for a friend.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Clanpot Shake posted:

It's okay, it is the cloud.

Since you said this is your first prod deploy here are some things to think about :
Is your Ops guy going to be on the call with you during the work window if it goes sideways? It'd be good to get your infra/ops side of the house involved if you can.
Do you have a backup DB up and running that you can fail back to and keep your outage window smaller so you don't gently caress up your SLA and have a smaller mean time to repair if it does go pear shaped?
Double check your commands you have pre-typed out for the change you copied from your test run (you do have them all prepped right?) for typos and duplicates. You don't want to be like the AWS S3 guy who had a typo and took down half the internet.
Have your form of drug/booze nearby for when it's complete so you can celebrate accordingly.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Vulture Culture posted:

Screaming into the void, dead certain their feedback will never be read by a human

This. Stop torturing yourself and trying to climb into the well.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Cirofren posted:

I love coffee but I've worked with people who don't drink it and they just order a hot chocolate (or iced chocolate in the summer) or a juice at coffee meetings.

I can’t believe iced chocolate is a thing and I want to try it now.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Vulture Culture posted:

If you've ever passed a Godiva store without getting a Chocolixir, god drat you're dumb

I mean that thing just looks like a fancy frosty. I'm going to conspire on Monday to take one of my team members out to a coffee shop for team building and try to order an iced chocolate. We'll probably talk about Infrastructure as Code or something to keep it relevant.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Hughlander posted:

Just wait until there's a critical mass of mac users and they roll out JAMF.

We just had this fight internally after our company got bought. We were free range Mac users with general safety guidelines and a not so intrusive corporate image that worked well for everyone. When we got bought things got very big business standard with corporate bloatware and things that ticks someone box on a spreadsheet. We actually won the fight to control our own Macs through our Security team recommendations since we're still considered a separate business unit. We had a day a few months ago where everyone re-imaged their laptop to remove the corp image and go back to the base Mac release with encryption and a couple small tools on them. Trusting your users is a big deal in a corporate environment and I'm glad our devs could put the anime away for a few minutes to look and act like adults about this issue.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

necrobobsledder posted:

You’re supposed to buy poo poo using Bitcoins like video cards, drugs, and sell them for cash to last as your ATM for years or just enjoy it for the novelty. I swear this is like the SA version of that Office Space discussion about what you’d do with a million dollars or something.

Two chicks at the same time man

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Portland Sucks posted:

I'm going to be conducting the interviews for our next round of interns. Am I a bad person for not knowing our company values off the top of my head? We just make aluminum and aluminum accessories. :smith:

Values? Hey kid we'll give you that cold hard cash if you show up around 8, leave around 4, take about an hour for lunch in the middle and write some code that does things. Also we like it if you are nice to be around as a person. :shepspends:

I had to write a note at the top of my interview questions that said "THEY ARE JUST INTERNS" because I made one cry when they didn't know an answer and I pushed to get some advanced thinking out of them after they gave me their basic reasoning on how they'd do it and they freaked out. I'm sure it was some me, some them but it reminded me of the perspecctive between kids in college interviewing and business "professionals".

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Honestly when we hire new associate devs we figure it’ll take 6 months before they are fully productive. Your first or second business environment is way different than anything you learned and that’s your free pass time to ask questions and develop your actual business skills. There is a reason your title says jr or associate!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Keetron posted:

There will be no collapse, just a continuation of the decline that has been ongoing for some three decades already.

I think you need to watch the speech in Davos where El Trumpo tells everyone how great we are and we're winning Comrade.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Ape Fist posted:

I'm one of 2 people in my office using VSCode and I will DIE before I change.

Good luck fresh meat.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Is this open source so I can put it on a screen behind me at work for my video meetings?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Rubellavator posted:

What the hell would "RESTful services with SOA approach" be

The dream

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I watched a guy work in sublime text the other day with black belt level shortcutfu and I was ashamed. I have since been working on fixing that problem.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Ape Fist posted:

Today at a company meeting: All future development hires will be from India.

Goodie.

:sever:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Ape Fist posted:

Senior management is fully aware of the absolute dogshit that offshoring has brought about. We're months behind on a major project for a Government client and it's largely in part due to our Indian office literally sitting on their hands and doing loving nothing. I have 3 outstanding issues in my user-stories right now that require back-end fixes for bugs I was assigned like 2 weeks ago. I had to go to my project Manager on Friday and sit down with him and explain why poo poo has been sitting in my VSTS list for loving ages and it looks like I'm not loving doing anything. This is only going to get loving worse.

But can India devs work on gov projects? I thought that was a no-no.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The fucks going on in here.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Shirec posted:

I'm also not allowed to currently bring up any issues with our unit tests or discuss problems/typos whatever I'm having since I need to "pretend" I'm an offshore resource so we can get a feel for what the process is like.

Get out of the well!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The words infinitely scalable makes me want to punch things.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Don’t post the review. For fucks sake.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I think I might be a Technical Product Manager, Cloud Infrastructure soon and I’m not sure if I should be pissed or happy. I’d be the first titled TPM in a company of 6000. I’ve been doing what appears to be the job roles with a Dev title but I was just trying to not let our group flounder. I haven’t legit coded for 9 months because of this monster cloud project during an acquisition integration into a larger company soooooo

(Word spaghetti title ahoyyyyyy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

My title is Senior Software Engineer because of my dept but I’d never interview under that title for many reasons least of them being I’m not that good of a Dev. I should be an Infrastructure engineer but noooooo you can’t have that title because reasons. Interviewing under a dev title is a terrifying prospect for me since I’m mostly a python/go scripter with an occasional small app, api or webpage and spend most of my day automating and debugging AWS stuff.