Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

vonnegutt posted:

I work remotely, usually from my home office, which theoretically would make it hard to "switch off" at the end of the day. In practice I don't find it too hard. A big part of it is that I try to be very deliberate with my working time, because after I finish my work, there's no "butt in seat" time to fill - it's all my free time. So every morning when I drink my coffee I decide what I'm going to get done that day. I try not to do busywork or pseudo-work like checking email and instead to identify exactly what would be my best contribution. If I finish that early, great.

Once I'm working, I try to be constantly aware of how much I'm actually getting accomplished, because towards 4pm I tend to start slowing down and making errors. I find it's best to stop while I'm ahead.

Do you use your home office for anything besides work? I work remote from home as well and sometimes I have real productivity problems where I just can't focus. I try lots of different things like pomodoro, blocking distracting websites, disabling notifications, etc. but some days it feels like I just can't make myself work. As far as I can tell it's never been a major issue because my employers have always been happy with my output, but the days where I just kinda float through not really working but also not really not working can be pretty frustrating. I think for me it's especially an issue when I need to work on something that either doesn't have very well-defined requirements, or is just boring/the wrong kind of difficult.

I actually had this problem when I worked in an office too (with the added bonus of getting distracted by open office BS), I guess because when your job is to be on the computer it's just really easy to find things to do that aren't work. For example it's my day off right now but here I am sitting in my office posting on SA and about to start playing computer games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

This is good stuff, thank you.

In general how many hours of good-ish work do you fine posters feel like you should do to be fair to your employers? Nobody is actually cranking out 8 hours of good coding a day are they?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does anyone have dead simple flow charting software (web based ideally) they like to use? I just want to draw out our new complicated onboarding flow and share it with my team

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Turambar posted:

I've become a fan of PlantUML. Layout is mostly out of your control, so you can focus on getting the work done instead of making sure every line is straight and cursing when you need to find room for a new object.

This looks awesome thanks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
https://twitter.com/dhh/status/1177974040432037888?s=21

Our third developer is starting in 3 weeks and I can't decide if now is the time to formalize a bunch of processes or if it'll just add needless overhead. We're disciplined in some ways (good story/ticket tracking, good test coverage on the back-end) and undisciplined in others (no code review/PR process, no CI, poor test coverage on front-end apps). We are wildly productive (even considering my earlier post about procrastinating) but it does feel like Wild West poo poo sometimes.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I want to use this milestone to fix some of our poo poo for sure. It feels like we're just always trying to move as fast as possible but of course that's not sustainable and even less so once we add team members.

What I really want is full e2e tests of every feature but it feels so time consuming to set up and maintain.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Best days at work are when you have a lot of tasks to do and the requirements for all of them are very clear. 5pm comes outta nowhere.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Good post on the subject: https://www.sandimetz.com/blog/2016/1/20/the-wrong-abstraction

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Unfortunately the best way to get a significant pay bump is to get a new job.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
A company's ideal employee is loyal and underpaid, so if you go to the boss saying you're thinking about jumping ship and you want to be paid more you're also giving them two reasons to start thinking about your replacement.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

vonnegutt posted:

I guess I should try the "Hey, if you hired me at my current experience level you'd have to pay ${salary} + $30k, so maybe give me $10k so I don't feel like a dumbass staying" talk, any advice?

If your market value is current salary + 30k don't open your negotiation at current salary + 10k.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Now make it realistic by opening like 25 of them, taking varying numbers of sips, and then leaving them in the in progress queue

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Man I make so much money writing JavaScript and Ruby and this thread has me convinced I'm a simpleton. I've been doing this job for 15 years and there's no way I could ever pass a whiteboard interview.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This thread is really making me appreciate working in a five person company.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ChickenWing posted:

expert sex change :dong:

Would you prefer an amateur sex change?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
God damnit, he gets results

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

smackfu posted:

Has anyone worked at a big company that acquired a small company and then had to deal with the small company’s senior developers not handling it well?

I have been a senior developer in a small company that was acquired by a slightly bigger company. I quit pretty much right away.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just don't like working in organizations larger than about 15 people. I don't deal well with authority or hierarchy so if there are directives coming from higher ups that I've never even met my instant reaction is "gently caress all that." I know it sounds kind of childish, I think I watched too many 90s slacker movies growing up and it poisoned me against work.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 9, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I can see that. I don't have a problem taking orders or direction, I just want to be close to the decision makers and understand their reasoning. "Because head office said so" isn't something I want to hear at work.

The entire last page or so was dedicated to BS that people experience in bigger companies so I don't think I'm alone in this.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

csammis posted:

Office Space was a prime shaper of my generation. It came out just as I was graduating high school and entering the white collar workforce. Some people ended up Peter, some people ended up Michael. The worst of us became Lumberghs and the best of us were Lawrence all along :cool:

Yeah I was I think 16 or 17 when I first saw that movie and I also spent some time in grade 11 working in a horribly soulless call centre. Between that and office space I always just kinda felt this feeling of "I can't do this" and so far I've been lucky enough to work in more non-traditional places, and right now I'm full time remote on a really small team.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
eat poo poo, early 2000s high school curriculum that told me i couldn't take programming classes anymore because i was dropping math

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I'm having a pretty hard time staying focused at work lately, anyone have any suggestions for getting into flow state when it's just not coming? It seems like my brain is just bouncing off the walls trying to think of anything except what I need to be working on.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I guess I really need to start meditating since it seems like everywhere I go people are recommending it. I tried it a bunch in January but I found it extremely boring.

Headphones are hit and miss for me, sometimes it's great but I'm also a musician so sometimes I go from passive listener to intently focusing and trying to figure out how a song is put together.

I think a lot of it comes down to not knowing what's next. Having questions around the stories I'm working on that cause me to just grind to a halt, or else getting too caught up in the bigger picture of all the things I need to do to complete the larger feature and then getting overwhelmed.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Keetron posted:

Get diagnosed with ADD and use meds. Works for me.

I've often wondered because the comorbidity with all my fun anxiety disorders is pretty high but any testing I've done comes back negative.

I also enjoy Ratatat.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm thinking about picking up a new skill because I work for a small startup and I wouldn't minding having an even more well rounded resume just in case we don't make it through this poo poo. My two main areas of expertise are React and Ruby on Rails. I'm also good at implementing UIs in whatever front end tools you want to throw at me. The two things I'm deciding between are Node (since it's widely used and I already know and love Typescript) and iOS (because it would be an entirely new thing for me and it's something I've always wanted to learn.)

Any thoughts on which direction to go in? Anybody else gonna channel their constant dread into self-improvement?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Gildiss posted:

Do like me and switch to Flutter.
It is cool and good and both iOS and Android capable.

I put some time into React Native a while back and kind of regret it. Maybe Flutter is a lot better than RN but I think I want to learn the real deal. Kept running into important stuff that people were like "oh yeah that doesn't really work in RN"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Navigation was the big one at the time (like moving around your app, not mapping.) There were a bunch of different packages and none of them quite worked right. One company that was a big adopter of RN had a setup where their navigation was built in native code but each individual area was part of the RN package.

The build tools were another issue. The dev server would just crash a lot of the time and require full restarts to get back up and running. This was a couple years ago. After AirBnb abandoned it I never looked back into it, I'm sure a lot of issues are solved now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

cyka blyat posted:

Java is a good skill if youre looking to remain employed... Maybe not as fun and exciting projects but there is lots pf work there.

I think I've been too poisoned against it to really give it a fair shake. It's not "cool" and like most of you I got into this business to be cool.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
what game

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If I was on a call with 150 people I would walk into the ocean.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's the point of this phone chain? Just to make sure everyone is working? Does he not realize you can pause your nintendo for a sec to pick up your phone and say "oh yeah I'm totally working"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
There's gotta be a whole lot of managers scrambling to justify their jobs during all of this.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Part of the reason I left my last job was because I got promoted into management and I hated it. I don't want to be in more meetings and I'm certainly not comfortable being anybody's boss. I'm happy to do mentoring and stuff but I don't want to sit down with someone and build personal goals with them or whatever.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Maybe I’m just not ambitious enough but when being a regular joe programmer is enough to get you into the top 5%+ of earners (in the UK at least), I don’t see the point in scrambling to be in the top 3 or 2 percent by pivoting into talking or managing if you don’t enjoy either of those things.

Yeah I make more than enough money as is, I still can't believe I get paid to be on my computer all day. Why would I want to mess that up?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm just going to do the Steve Buscemi "how do you do fellow kids" thing

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Boy this thread really split up into work-likers and work-dislikers

Personally I hope to go the rest of my career never working at a company big enough to have management culture ever again.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
When the list of things that only you know how to do grows too long you simply find a new job and enjoy being the dumb guy again for a while.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I wasn't being snarky at all, those are my sincere thoughts. I stayed at my last job for 13 years, leaving was such a relief.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Friday rant: I am so loving sick of Ruby and OO programming in general. I've been a Rails developer for close to 15 years and these days I split my time probably 75% typescript front-end, which I love, and 25% Rails. My Rails time is 20% banging out API endpoints and 80% writing unit tests for those endpoints/their underlying business logic service classes that I wish I didn't have to write.

I like my job, I like our app, but every time I have to write back-end code I just wish I was working in a completely different ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm already about as FE focused as I can be at this job. We're a small team and I'm a pretty capable rails dev so it would really slow things down if I stopped being full stack. Maybe I should pitch a rewrite :v: