Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

One of XCX's issues was it had a feeling of "we're doing this thing because it worked in XC" and Tatsu was by far the biggest offender in that regard. Such a blatant attempt to be a comedy character like Riki but he fails at that while also being utterly worthless. Lin should've actually made him in to a meal and been done with it because he was a total writing failure.

I hate to say this but Tatsu was, if anything, a return to normal for the Xeno series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

But if Lyn cooked him she wouldn't be able to make references to cooking him after every battle and at the beginning of every chapter.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Ah, yeah, that's one of the problems with the game. Valuable stuff like that is super-hidden. It's not really important for most characters beyond optimization but Fiora needs hers to go from acceptable to Human Buzzsaw

thats what the wiki is for.

when I was really balls deep into the game, doing most of the quests and everything, you better believe I was looking where to find everything on the Wiki, and that's fine

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

mabels big day posted:

thats what the wiki is for.

when I was really balls deep into the game, doing most of the quests and everything, you better believe I was looking where to find everything on the Wiki, and that's fine

It's not acceptable. It's something that basically all jRPGs do but it's really annoying. Especially since looking at guides risks spoiling things in the future.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh no. I could never figured out how to get those bonus skill trees, aside from the ones I randomly stumbled on. Couldn't even get Shulk's because I didn't have enough affinity with Colony 9. I mean, I almost had enough affinity, but then the quest I complete made me lose affinity. At that point I said gently caress side quests and just went off to beat the game.

I don't think that's fair to Rikki. I mean yeah he's the obligatory cute mascot character but he doesn't have nearly as many annoying scenes as Tatsu. I'd say the problem with him is that he doesn't contribute much to the plot so he just feels like he's hanging around in a game where all the other characters are pretty involved.

Tatsu does contribute to the plot in X. He does so by almost getting you killed multiple times. Tatsu is the worst.

Riki gets good moments though, like his sensitivity to spirits making him the only other witness to Kallian's last words

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

In my day we used The Spreadsheet to find stuff in Xenoblade 1, not some fancy smancy wiki.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/820296760794853376

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

My magic sword can't possibly be this cute.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

She's a Blade, and Rex the main character is her "Driver". As long as Rex is alive, she's immortal and can heal from any wounds, unless the green crystal is destroyed.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
lol jesus christ

Also the sword is god, and you love her

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terper posted:

She's a Blade, and Rex the main character is her "Driver". As long as Rex is alive, she's immortal and can heal from any wounds, unless the green crystal is destroyed.

Usually liches and phylacteries are supposed to work the other way, I think.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd forgotten about Riki's DoTs being busted as poo poo when used in chains. Melia was supposedly OP as hell too but I never really saw it. I might've just been bad at using her though.

Riki needs to be in Xenoblade 2. If not as a playable character then revered as a mythical hero by the Nopon.

One of XCX's issues was it had a feeling of "we're doing this thing because it worked in XC" and Tatsu was by far the biggest offender in that regard. Such a blatant attempt to be a comedy character like Riki but he fails at that while also being utterly worthless. Lin should've actually made him in to a meal and been done with it because he was a total writing failure.

Goddamn, I didn't realize Disgaea 5 was coming to Switch too. That was one of the few games I've wanted to play but lack a PS4. Reasons to buy a PS4 are rapidly approaching zero.

Xenoblade just being '2017' makes me worry it'll end up being maybe late 2017 for Japan and some time in 2018 for the rest of us if we're lucky.

If there isn't a robust multiplayer mode that needs testing in all territories, then a worldwide 2017 release is more feasible.

It'll also help if the Yen-US Dollar conversion rate doesn't tank.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also, there's a bathing scene in which the female characters compare bodies

(The trailer had some of the script floating around as background images which is where this info is from)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Main character looking thicc af

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Main character looking thicc af

He's a catfish

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

God dammit!

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
he's a scuba diver

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Xenoblade was anime, Xenoblade X was anime, Xenoblade 2 will be anime, and we will all love it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Alxprit posted:

Xenoblade was anime, Xenoblade X was anime, Xenoblade 2 will be anime, and we will all love it.

I hate it but accept it. Like Trump voters existing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's not anime if they have British accents.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Monado in the first game was a magical super-artifact which contained the sealed soul of a dark god who was actually a scientist from Earth who accidentally destroyed the universe and became the god of a giant robot that was also a country.

"It's an anime girl who transforms into a sword" is like a step down in craziness.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 14, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TurnipFritter posted:

He's a catfish

son of a submariner

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

ImpAtom posted:

The Monado in the first game

Still think some people here are playing through the first game, may want to mark in-depth spoilers

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea i got a line into that post and then bailed, fortunately I don't think I read anything I didn't know. I just met the fat robot man with the delightful voice acting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Still think some people here are playing through the first game, may want to mark in-depth spoilers

Tender Bender posted:

Yea i got a line into that post and then bailed, fortunately I don't think I read anything I didn't know. I just met the fat robot man with the delightful voice acting.

A fair point. I edited, my bad, sorry.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I like that the Zohar just got smushed onto the Monado.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

No problem, it's reasonable for you to assume that most people who are interested in discussing a five year old niche game have probably already played it!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Moénado. :japan:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

The Monado in the first game was a magical super-artifact which contained the sealed soul of a dark god who was actually a scientist from Earth who accidentally destroyed the universe and became the god of a giant robot that was also a country.

"It's an anime girl who transforms into a sword" is like a step down in craziness.

A step down tbh

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

man. I jumped back into X the other day after taking ~6 months off or so (I got to chapter 10 then got real busy with life)

I don't remember how any of this poo poo works or anything oh god

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
I'm trying to get back into X after like half a year--I'm stuck on the affinity mission where you have to fight the ninja thundercat lady in Oblivia and she casts that stupid spell that makes her untouchable. What's the best way to deal with that?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I just really really hope they drop the whole "faff about in an open world" and go back to having an actual story driven game.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

I just really really hope they drop the whole "faff about in an open world" and go back to having an actual story driven game.

I hope they keep the open world but also nail the story. The plot may have suffered in MGS5 and XCX and FF15 and almost every western open world RPG, but it worked in Witcher 3, so at least we know it's possible.

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
I'm wondering if in a few years we'll be seeing Xenoblade Chronicles X 2, or if the mixed feedback completely scared them away from making another XCX. That whole trailer screamed "this is nothing like the open world mecha rap battle game!"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not sure how the storyline will fare, but it appears they've definitely gone back to "making actual cutscenes" so at the very least it should have an acceptable presentation of whatever nonsense they've cooked up this time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm on the fence. I liked there being so much interesting stuff to see but I think I want more fanfare for each area. I guess what I'm saying is make it like the Witcher 3.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My little brother is sulking today and told me its because some of the character designs are half-nude little girls? Are they actually doing that crap again?

ImpAtom posted:

I'll be honest, I prefer to pretend all the stuff involving Earth in XC didn't actually happen because its total nonsense that has no reason to even be in the game. Other than for the sake of a shocking "twist" I guess.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Because it made for a loving awesome build up to the final boss and made the ending pretty memorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

welp, this game;s gonna suck. Dang.

• Locked thread