Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

MohShuvuu posted:

All I ever got was Worn dogshit from Joker.

If you're getting Worn gear drops, it means that you got a drop associated with an AM you haven't unlocked yet. Unlock more AMs and the problem will go away.

Also, specific high-end (Ultra Regal/Infinite) armor weight/manufacturer combos drop off of specific level 60+ mob types. That Simius, for example, will drop Heavy Meredith stuff. If you're taking a break from grinding Joker, the other mobs around the Nest will drop GGG Light(Cervus, day only), Medium (Dilus), and Skell (Aevitir, mind the Tyrant); along with Orph Medium if you're up for hitting the Leviaths. I've been making a bit of a list of what drops what as I've been going along, but there's still a lot of holes in it.

If you're going for weapons in general, Joker's not a bad pick due to it's high level and Blattas never dropping armor. Sphinxes are also supposed to drop nothing but weapons, but I haven't fought all that many of them. Most important thing when farming weapons is that the drops are heavily biased to your current class, along with your party members; if you're getting sick of assault rifles and knives, switch off of Vagabond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

GFBeach posted:

I just started playing this game yesterday and I think I've got a pretty good grasp on the primary mechanics, but there're a couple of things that have me scratching my head.

1) Elma's and Lin's attack power are both wayyyy higher (2-3x) than my protagonist, even when equipped with similar-level gear. Is it because they're farther along on their class tree? Elma's starting gear seems to come with a lot of damage buffs but the discrepancy still seems alarming.

2) When buying weapons at the Armory Avenue kiosk, I feel like I must be misunderstanding something. Weapons in a similar level bracket often have a regular and a "II" variant (e.g. 'name of weapon', 'name of weapon II'), and the regular version seems just straight-up better as they come with a damage+ bonus (reporting better overall damage for its range type) whereas the II variant lacks the damage+ skill (thus lower overall damage) but has an accuracy bonus. Why do these II variants cost a lot more if, at least at first glance, they seem objectively worse?

1) They aren't stuck using knives, so their on-paper power is going to be quite a bit higher than yours; though in practice it's not as large a difference as you'd think. Shields might have a lot of base power, but they get little in the way of offensive moves, and the ones they do get either have fairly lackluster mults or require TP to use. As for dual swords, their base power isn't much higher than knives, and while they can put out good damage with their moves they're all heavily reliant on positioning, which the AI isn't great at.

They might be doing more damage that you right now, it's not going to be by as much as you'd think, and you're going to overtake them pretty quickly once you get real weapons to play with.

2) Right now, don't worry about it and just get whatever gives you bigger numbers. If you spend less in the process, great.

Edit: And yeah, money shouldn't be all that much of a concern. It rapidly stops being an issue once you start dropping probes everywhere.

And check out augs once those open up. Some of the nicer augs have surprisingly reasonable mat requirements.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Ashsaber posted:

So, now I've just beat chapter 5 and gotten the Nopon Merchants up and running. I have a bunch of quests popping up and another question for the vets.

What elements are best against what? I have no idea other than Thermal vs. Theroids (still not sure what those are) and Gravity vs. mechs, which flavor text tells you. Phys, Electric, Ether and Beam though? No clue.

Also, I'm now a bit conflicted on working on side missions vs advancing the story. I want to recruit people and maybe do some affinity missions, but if I blitz chapter 6 I can get my Skell. Right now I think I'll go with a few normal missions and a few affinity missions before forging on so I can explore Mira in style.

Going off the top of my head...

Insectiods are bugs and... pretty much anything with an exoskeleton in general. Typically somewhat weak to Ether and Thermal, and usually sports a small to moderate amount of Physical resistance.

Piscinoids are assorted inexplicably flying aquatic stuff. Mild weakness to Ether and a large weakness to Electric. As each and every single one of them flies, they also have a species-wise weakness to Gravity.

Theroids are pretty much everything else not found in another category. Mild Ether weakness and a larger weakness to Thermal. No special resistances.

Humanoids have a mild weakness to Beam and a small amount of Ether resist.

Mechanoids have a small amount of Ether and Fire resist to back up their moderate Physical resist, but have a mild weakness to Beam and Electric to go with their heavy Gravity vulnerability.

Chimeroids and Ultrafauna resist everything, but if you're fighting them for real you're probably past the point where you need to worry about that sort of thing.

If you'd rather reference by damage type-

Physical: Less effective against bugs and mechs.

Beam: Good against humanoids and mechs. Nothing specifically resists it.

Ether: Slightly less effective against humanoids and mechs, but almost everything else is mildly weak to it.

Thermal: Great against beasts, good against bugs. Mechs resist it.

Elec: Great against fish, good against mechs. Nothing specifically resists it.

Gravity: Great against mechs, good against anything that flies. Nothing specifically resists it.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 30, 2015

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Sven, the Sturdy is a hardy little dude

100% resistant to everything! Overdrive bonuses will cut right through that though.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Is there a specific level I should wait to be at before exploring Sylvalum further? I'm 32 with the most expensive skell, decked out with the most intergalactic weapons a stud like me can get thus far, but I still get wrecked regardless, relegating my travel to hugging the mountainside, hoping nothing sees me. It got to a point where a couple of the FrontierNav sites are guarded by enemies I can't kill.

I'm only on I think chapter 6 so maybe I should hold off for a bit.

To add to the previous response:

Quite a lot of the stuff that will ruin your day in a skell will be content to completely ignore you on foot.

Stay away from flowers, shrubbery, odd looking rock outcroppings... basically everything.

Actually, stay away from rocks in general, unless you like having a Thallus or an Ictus pop up to ruin your day.

An awful lot of those big ugly critters that like sitting on probe points are visual aggro, so you can pick the point up if you're careful and stay behind them. A visial cloaking aug might help, but you can do it just fine without them.

The big wide field leading up to Cauldros is relatively safe, and the early parts of Cauldros themselves aren't that bad if the weather's not acting up. The beaches are also surprisingly friendly if you go by water.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, there's apparently a cave or cavern embedded in the south wall of Sylvalum, how the hell do I get into it?

In the south east? The entrance is located on the outer side of the mountains, so you have to be able to fly.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Not a Children posted:

The story is pretty garbage, too

Someone just tell me what to do to best break ground combat over my knee. I've loaded myself up on debuff (Mastermind) and back-attack (through Full Metal Janguar) arts, just staying in Mastermind until I get the secondary cooldown skill before I switch to a tankier class.

Dual Guns for the Decoy skill, along with either lightsabers or longswords depending on how much effort you feel like putting into it. Oh, and an Arts: TP aug for easier infinite Overdrive chaining. Anything past that just makes things go faster.

Edit: I should note that this is higher-end stuff; past a point your party members aren't good for much outside of being loaded up with C&C's line of treasure hunting gear, side and back arts aren't much use when you're the only one still standing after the first few seconds.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 6, 2016

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
If it's the last one of the first set, I think it spawns in the southwest corner of the Commercial District after you've picked up the first 48; they need you there for a cutscene.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh and I've read that longswords are the go-to broken combo for ground combat, but I like being a Jedi too much.

Nothing special about Longswords save for the fact that they're the only weapon type with superweapons; lightsabers actually work just fine, you just won't do quite as much damage.

The only thing that really matters is using Dual Guns for Ghostwalker and having at least one Arts: TP mod.

As for changing Divisions; there's a fee, but it's tiny, so go nuts.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Join the prospectors, you'll get tons of reward tickets for doing basically nothing.

You don't get reward tickets for that. A free salvage ticket every day, yes, but no reward tickets.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh really? My bad then! I coulda sworn reward tickets were tied to your division.

Ah, Chapter 10, I see. Yeah, you're going to want your characters in Skells, preferably with flight modules because otherwise how the gently caress else are you going to fight the fucker. If you need more cash, you should try rigging your frontiernav set ups to give you more cash per tick. I think at that point of the game, I was getting like 50-80k per tick, which means I only have to play for a few hours before I have the cash I need for a new Skell.

Reward tickets are for squad stuff; be it fulfilling tasks, doing the squad missions, or trading in bits you chopped off of the gigantic punching bags(Yggralith parts give 90+ tickets each).

Also, it's rather easy to crank your probe income into the six-digit range really early on if you try; there's only a handful of probe sites and sightseeing spots you can't reach on foot, and there's ways to get just about everywhere else on foot even at a low level.

(And I fought the Ch. 10 boss on foot; it was a pain to lure it over solid ground, but it went a lot faster once it cooperated)

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Speaking of Yggralith, I poked my head in at level 20 and immediately lost it. Is there anything to do with BLADE badges before max level?

I love that I can get away with aggro-dodging and geometry-exploiting my way various places. Sure they may expect me to get there with flight, but if I want to bunny-hop my way up a mountain there's no invisible wall to tell me no. I pulled off one pixel-perfect jump to a floating island mining site, only to find out it requires mechanics 5.

Telethia Plume is set to level 35, so there's that the next time it breezes in. Not worth as many tickets, but it does cough up flower hair pieces for your pretty princessing needs.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Uhh so what am I supposed to do if I die while fighting the first boss in Chapter 12? I don't have my skells anymore.

git gud. Or load, then go scout someone with a crazy ground build and mulch everything. Look through the level 60 Vagabonds and check anyone using Dual Guns; most of them will be using Longswords, but there are those of us who stick to Photon Sabers.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I can only think of one or two chests that had XX mods in them, the real loot from the islands typically comes from the high-level tyrants chilling on them.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Farming Joker for cash should return around 80~100k each time, more if you get multiple lvl 60 drops as the sell price on those is a rather large jump from the non-60 stuff. Just make sure to load your party up with C&C treasure hunter gear so that everything actually coughs up a weapon. If you have trouble killing the Blatta hordes in a lvl 30 bot, load up on insect slayer mods, they're practically free.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Best I can recall of Bestial Utopia* was a few chests and some 60+ mobs, so you probably aren't missing anything.

*North face of the volcano in Cauldros, it'll have a couple of high level Ganglion in front of the entrance.

As for high-level skell gear, you generally have to beat up high level mechs, though some of the larger indigens cough them up on occasion as well. I don't remember what drops what, but there are a number of mech tyrants out on some of the little islands dotted around, and they tend to be pretty squishy for their level; the ones that readily come to mind are a bit west of the Abyss in Sylvalum, and another all the way up in the north west corner of the map. There's also a very high level Seidr in the Antropolis, but you'll need a good ground build for that.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I've heard they're a pretty rare drop, I just used tickets for mine.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I'll note that Secondary Accelerator is pretty good to have. I also use Astral Purge over Heal, as it can be handy to have a green move to melee combo off of to rack up Overdrive count with Duster; and in fights where I think I might actually take damage in(largely just the Yggralith) I'll swap Astrolibrium out for Geolibrium, Geo can keep you alive through a lot of really stupid things.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I've generally found that being able to remove debuffs from lowly skell users comes up more often than the need for burst healing.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Also keep in mind that you can't establish or break a lock if the SV QTE is currently up. It also prevents the use of the overdrive button.

It's rather obnoxious.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
You can boost duplicators.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
The probes do, in fact, list the sightseeing bonus per site found in their descriptions.

As for Mortifoles, you can target/lock the head near the apex of your jump if you're on foot. In a skell you probably just need to hover a little.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Whoops, just took this affinity mission that requires going to Cauldros.

Ummmm I can swim there, right?

Do yourself a favor and look for the island chain that leads north from Primordia. Even if you have to swim around the central island it's still a lot faster than swimming there the full way like some other goons did. From there you'll have to either make your way through Sylvalum* or take the rather long swim around it**.

*Not as bad as you might think, so long as you avoid any terrain features that look like they might pop up out of the ground to kill you, because they'll pop up out of the ground and kill you. Also avoid any terrain features that don't look like they'll pop up out of the ground to kill you, because those will pop up out of the ground and kill you. Other than that, it's an easy run.

**Really long, really slow, really boring. But if you manage to do it, most of Cauldros' beaches are populated by really low level mobs.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Don't even need an Ares 90, a lvl 50 Heavy with a decent Phoenix and a half decent augment setup can clear the lot without issue. If you can't one-shot the tyrant it might pop an evasion buff, you'll likely have to wait that out before finishing the job.

This will get you piles of XP, class XP, and massive heaps of junk weapons to sell for a completely stupid amount of credits if you aren't already maxed out. The tyrant itself can also potentially drop top-end non-unique ground weapons, though the odds of getting something really good aren't particularly great; unlock all of the AMs, deck the party out in C&C gear, and get as many users of the weapon type you want in the party to maximize odds.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Off the top of my head... Get Mechanical to 4 before touching either of the other two skills. Once things open up feel free to just wander off and fart around. Research probes are primarily found in lootable objects on the field. The initial robot really sucks, replace it with a level 30 ASAP. Good bot weapons to keep an eye out for are the Phoenix and the E-Scythe. Don't neglect your ground build.

As for people who still play, I've been popping on now and then to do a bit of side stuff I missed, but not all that often. There's a googledocs at the bottom of the OP, but I don't know how much help that'll be; you might have luck if you try the names lower on the list, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's like that in XCX, where Xair, the Cerulean Walker is the only notable instance of spike damage because he'll rip apart everything with a field of ether-based death.

Only other thing I can even remember having spike damage is Telethia Plume, and that's only sometimes.

There's also that Sphinx in Oblivia, pretty sure that's it for notable spike damage though.

They could probably patch spike and brainwash out of the game entirely and I rather doubt anyone would notice.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just from a glance at the skills in XCX it looks entirely possible, and broken as gently caress, to make a 100% overdrive uptime build. A glance at some level 60s kinda confirmed it. Whole lot of people with maxxed out offensive stance, the crit power + TP skill, some arts that boost TP gain and/or overdrive duration, and usually one of the 8-10 hit 200% scaling moves that use dual guns or photon sabers I think, among other skills. I noticed Tornado Blade's +tp (and the samurai gunner +tp skill) both seem to give TP based on targets hit, so in multi enemy fights offensive aura -> tornado blade has giving me 1-2k TP sometimes, which means I then go in to overdrive and proceed to skill spam everything until it dies unless I get focused and explode instantly due to offensive stance's defense loss.

All you really need is a couple of Arts TP XX mods, with maybe a Max TP XX for a buffer, and you're in business; you basically never run out of TP once you get a couple of those up, and if you know where and how to farm for weapons it probably won't take all that long to get some with Arts TP already baked in. The only really mandatory thing is using Dual Guns for Ghostwalker so you don't get one-shot, but you can use whatever for melee; most people go with Longsword because the only real on-foot superweapons happen to be Longswords(in particular they go Ether-type for Core Crusher), but I personally went with saber.

As for income, most research probes are found in chests. Also, don't worry about building up lvl 30 bots, the 50 tier is a huge jump up, and the 60s are a huge jump up from that.

If you want to save cash in the short-to-medium term, invest in Sakuraba until it's level 5 and get a set of the heavy on-foot gear; keep it up to date and it'll see you through most of the stuff the game throws at you.

Senerio posted:

The problem with the game for me was that when the Skells started happening, exploration got a lot less rewarding. Once I got the flight suit I stopped enjoying the exploration because there wasn't really anything left to explore.

I had fun though. Definitely got my money's worth.

I spent a lot of time going just about everywhere it was possible to go on foot before picking up the flight module and I don't regret a bit of it.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
As far as Skell weapons go, Phoenixes are your friend; fire's not a great damage type, but the base damage is excelent and they hit a huge area. I forgot what drops them, but a storebought one will do. Also highly recommend Beam Scythes. Oh, and check out aug prices for your primary damage types, some of them can be surprisingly cheap.

That said, I can't help much more than that, as by the time I got to that point my ground build was already substantially stronger than my Skell so I hopped out and tore it up on foot(luring the first form into melee range was a pain).

Fun thing is that I had no idea what the boss fight even looked like until a couple of weeks ago when I saw a clip of it, thanks to the game thinking that a big dramatic story boss fight wouldn't be complete without Spores.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Music and skell combat aside, I'd like to have seen a bit of a rework done with how on-foot combat skills were set up; specifically, I'd like to see things like most auras and buffs no longer be bound to the weapon they're learned on. Admittedly, my motive is pretty-princess based, but it would be nice to not be locked to dual guns for Primer and Ghostwalker.

It'd also be nice if other weapon types got their equivalent to the Longsword superweapons, or at least overhaul the crafted stuff so it wasn't effectively useless.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
In my case, I liked the on-foot combat and exploration so much that I actively avoided using Skells for as long as I possibly could, to the point where when I finally did unlock them I was overwhelmingly stronger out of one than in one. They might have been handy for Phoenixing down piles of chaff and picking off hard to reach break points, but I always preferred to smash stuff with overdrive lightsaber combos whenever possible.

Of course, we then hit the problem where much of the on-foot combat system still gets tossed out the window, because none of the party mechanics function when you're the only one that's still standing after the first few seconds and any sense of balance has been very thoroughly squashed.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
To elaborate a bit, her fourth skill tree has a number of very nice skills, but the important one causes all of her double hits to automatically critical. I think you can imagine how that would get out of hand very quickly.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

They also didn't really put anything in the world. No towns, no real set pieces or interesting events, just a bunch of (admittedly really cool) landscapes occasionally dotted with space-RV's. The closest thing to a fleshed out point of interest is the water processing plant with the shower situation. I don't think having the game revolve around a single big city is necessarily a bad thing but they really bungled it.

I remember thinking a bit about that back when I was playing it regularly. You have the Nopon Caravans, but they're largely static, and aside from aforementioned RVs that's pretty much it when it comes to friendlies you can bump into outside New LA.

As for the RVs themselves; a good potion of them were fine where they were, but then you have a number of them sitting out in the open within spitting distance of major Ganglion bases (e.g. basically all of Cauldros) and it starts to get rather silly. Some questlines and/or resource sinks to get actual fortified bases or supply stations set up in hidden-but-still-convenient locations would have been great, even if they'd just serve roughly the same purpose in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
If it's just asking for a normal drop you can pick it up with tickets back at the barracks. If it's a quest-specific drop or a ground collectable, then good luck with that.

• Locked thread