Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there really no ingame way to figure out where certain collectibles spawn? I spent 2 hours wandering around Noctilum picking up random poo poo before I found what I needed. There was zero indication that I had to go to the other side of the continent and crawl through an alien based full of level 40 enemies too find this one item. Then the NPCs I gave it to died offscreen when I completed the quest, as if to mock me. I want to like this game but it doesn't seem to like me.

I could probably look this stuff up but that's a pain in the rear end and also I really don't want to spoil any environments before I see them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This whole BLADE level thing seems really weird too me and I'm not sure why it even exists. I don't see any reason too leel up anything other then mechanical so you can install the probes and then archaeological for all the other stuff. There are barely any biological objects relative to the other two, unless Sylvelum and Cauldros are completely stuffed with them.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also lol at who decided to put a weird thing in the middle of a lake that turns into a lv 60 Tyrant when you get near it. I laughed pretty hard as a ran for my life.

Was playing with my little brother watching when I saw that the other day. It immediately screamed "trap" in my mind since this game had already killed me in a bunch of other ways. My brother urging me to poke it over and over confirmed it. He just wanted me too die horribly like he did.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is the story in Xenoblade Chronicles better than the one here? I wanted to play that game since the setting sounded really unique and I hear it had strong writing. Playing X has made me second guess that though. Cause while I'm having fun exploring and slaughtering my way across this planet, almost all the plot feels really stupid. And while this setting looks cool the logic behind it seems pretty awful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ImpAtom posted:

... Did we play the same Xenoblade X? I'm not sure how you can do the sidequests and call BLADE uncomplicated and especially uniformly competent. Especially uniformly competent. Even your protagonist has a pretty good chance of disastrously loving up missions.

Yeah even with how little of the game I've played I haven't seen BLADE being very competent. That's one of the parts that bugs me; given the situation you are in every human life should be precious, and they say as much, but BLADE members seem to drop like flies. I'm not sure how humanity has lasted two months on this planet when their military force goes through members absurdly fast.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Supercar Gautier posted:

You can also tell they dropped a plotline with Chausson. When he's first established, Elma practically shouts "GOSH THIS GUY SURE IS POWER-HUNGRY" and then for the rest of the story he's entirely reasonable, works nicely with everyone, and never pulls any schemes.

I'd consider this a good thing. I'm sick of every story where the one important political guy ends up being a power-hungry rear end in a top hat/is a useless idiot when it comes to everything that is actually important.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The idea that this game has 17 party members yet switching them involves manually traveling to wherever they happen to be hanging out baffles me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really want more aliens in my party because aliens are cool. L is nice for that. I haven't gotten the second alien yet but my brother hates her a ton so I don't have high expectations.

I'd count Tatsu if it felt like he ever helped or did anything. He seems to exist solely so Lin can make jokes about eating him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I'm almost level 10 in the Mastermind class. I hate the knife and was gonna switch to another class to pick up a different melee weapon. What are some good ones to use with it? I was thinking shields would be fun but that's purely because the idea of ramming people with one over and over to kill them is funny.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish Professor B had voice acting. His quest has been my favorite so far.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Senerio posted:

Not even a different land we're stuck on a WHOOOOLE DIFFERENT PLAAAAAA-NET!

No matter how many times I hear that line it still makes me laugh.

I'm actually starting to enjoy the ridiculous night theme for NLA though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How much do you have to use skells after you get one anyways? I know people are gonna find this crazy but I think the skell combat looks boring compared to the ground combat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like the story mission that makes you walk across an extremely narrow cliff covered in enemies hiding under the ground. They are pretty obvious but its easy enough to kill them so its not a big deal. Then at the end of the cliff there's a level 40 tyrant hiding next to the entrance to the cave you need to go through because gently caress you.

Stuff like that wouldn't annoy me so much if running away actually worked. Instead I get oneshot by a projectile it fires from 50 feet away that passes through the terrain.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I finally explored some of Sylvelum last night. Roughly went like this;

Wow this place is really pretty and alien. I just want to run around and look at all this weird stu- GODDAMMIT WHY IS THERE SO MANY loving THINGS HIDING IN THE GROUND :byodood:

Even the rocks started trying to murder me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I seriously don't get how the "stealth" in this game is supposed to be fun. Just did a mission that sent me into a camp full of level 40+ enemies while at level 30 so obviously I can't do anything to them. The camp contains turret enemies that can spot me from a ridiculous distance and destroy me with ease. There's no easy way to sneak around them since their sight range is so huge and I can't even tell what direction they are facing, or if that matters.

Meanwhile, the guards in the camp are so stupid I can walk into their model and not aggro them;

So sneaking feels either completely impossible or easy with no middle ground.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Finished playing Xenoblade Chronicles. Liked it a hell of a lot more than X, which is why I stuck with it even when the last 1/4 went pretty loopy. Hhonestly its probably my favorite RPG in ages just because the world was so unique. I really liked climbing up the Bionis and seeing all the different environments as you scaled it.

I'm awful at these games though. I kept realizing I had misunderstood a bunch of game mechanics throughout the whole thing, even in the final fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jsor posted:

My only real complaint about the gameplay itself is that spike damage was also an interesting concept that was executed horribly. Sometimes you just run up to an enemy as Seven, immediately die, and say "... oh, spike, huh". I guess the AI is also semi-incompetent, but the game seems pretty balanced around that.

Spikes should have been something that has some sort of visual indicator on the enemy health bar. Cause if you're playing blind*, you have no way of knowing about a spike until it fucks you over. And sometimes with all the stuff going on in a battle you might not even realize it has a spike until you're already close to death. Though at least you can actually run away from enemies unlike X so you probably won't get killed because of it.

*or if the person guiding is a jerk that intentionally doesn't tell you about them so he can laugh at you :mad:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The problem I had with Xenoblade Chronicles' story is that it kind of shoots itself in the foot with everything related to Zanza. It sets up a rather understandable antagonist but then replaces him with a pointlessly evil JRPG douchebag god.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Microcline posted:

I can't see what the intention was with spike damage. It discourages offense, isn't a factor before the postgame, isn't explained, and the only counter is to stack 100% spike resistance (which is possible by the time you start encountering enemies with spike counters).

There were a few monsters that had spikes throughout the game. I think the intention was to have them force you to use different tactics. For example, a topple spike would mean you can't rely heavily on stunning enemies that have it. But then there are enemies with the counter spike for which the only counterplay is having spike gems or Shulk constantly spamming purge.

quote:

To be fair, Egil's character wouldn't work without a greater evil to fight. Zanza would be a lot more acceptable if they kept the scenery-chewing giant voice. "Malevolent demiurge Shulk" is just kind of silly.

Zanza being so pointlessly evil is just such a jarring writing contrast to the rest of the game though. It'd work better if he had some reason, however misguided, for doing what he does. His only reason though is "gently caress you I wanna live forever". Same goes for the rest of the last act villains.

And if he really is a god that sees himself as being so far above you there's no problem with killing you all, he has no reason to be talking to you in the first place.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The game is needlessly complex and there really isn't any reason for it to be that way. They needed to trim out so much of the nonsense from this game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just find Xenoblade X really weird since it feels like a step back from Chronicles in almost every way. this is coming from someone that played halfway through X before even touching Chronicles, so its not like I'm blinded by nostalgia either. Its just a better, more interesting game. The setting of X is a giant mess of confusing plot threads that are probably going to lead to really underwhelming answers.

Also I'd really rather them focus on either ground or vehicle combat rather than try to do both in one game. The Skell combat felt super boring.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm fine with complexity when it serves an actual point and isn't actually just a pointless system explained in the worst possible way. The whole division system in X was built up as this big important thing but the mechanical function of every single division was the same. You don't actually do anything special in any division. You just get different amounts of points for doing the same poo poo you are always doing. So there's no reason to actually pick a division based on what the game says they do. Instead you're supposed to pick them based on the perks they provide but basically hide from you.

The divisions might as well not have existed. They certainly didn't need 8 of them at any rate.

VVV The Commander holds you in place for like 15 minutes to carefully explain what every single loving division does in painstaking detail. It makes you think they are gonna be important and not just something that adds an invisible perk most people won't even notice. Its an example of the game explaining something in the most pointlessly complex way.

I also don't remember them having much of a story importance either. You would get a quest and they would mention the division involved but after that it doesn't matter. It was usually just the Pathfinders getting themselves eaten by a giant monster again anyways.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 25, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FactsAreUseless posted:

I haven't played the original Xenoblade, but I played a lot of X. I ended up dropping it shortly before getting a Skell (still like 30 or 40 hours of gameplay) just because it got repetitive and I had other things I wanted to play. It's not a bad game, but it is a really, really weird one. I totally get why some people would really like it, I haven't played a ton of JRPGs that are very similar, but I also don't know who I'd recommend it to. It's a very odd experience.

To me XCX feels like it would appeal to the same people that actually enjoy the level grind in MMOs, cause that's what it felt like to play it. I felt like I was playing a single player MMO. Especially when it came to the combat with monsters that magically hit me through the terrain from 20 feet away.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Infinity Gaia posted:

That... Would happen in XC too, though? It's an RPG, not an action game, it just lets you move around for positioning bonuses and SOMETIMES you can avoid certain AoEs by being far enough away.

Not nearly as often. I barely ever had a problem running away from stuff in XC but anytime I tried to run in XCX it was about 50/50 whether or not some homing projectile would phase through the terrain to oneshot me. Everything in XCX feels like its better at tracking you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Taear posted:

So many combats in the game take place really close to some huge enemy that it's super easy to accidentally catch in an AoE.
Really loving annoying. There's a quest in Sylvanum where you have to fight two enormous creatures that are beating one another up. They're relatively low level but there's a level 60 right near them and it took forever before I could do the quest because no matter what I did I'd end up aggroing the stupid thing.

Yeah I commented on this earlier but one of my biggest gripes was the aggro ranges on monsters varying by huge amounts but not having any visual indicator of what a given monsters detection radius is. Some enemies can spot you from 50 yards away and instantly snipe you with a punishing energy blast. Others are so brain dead you can literally clip with their model and they won't notice you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Unless they fired everyone involved with the script of Xenoblade X its gonna be really bad :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ImpAtom posted:

Hint: The same people who were involved with Xenoblade X were involved with Xenoblade regular. They didn't have a different development team.

I know they didn't, though the quality of the writing was so drastically different I have trouble believing it. I'd like to think they could do better again but its hard for me to be optimistic.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I love the music for the whole series honestly. Just fantastic people and good work

XCX music was definitely not for me but I know some people like that sort of thing. The tracks without Engrish vocals were good for the most part.

Also the LA nighttheme is burned into my brain so now I have a weird fondness for it. :yeah: :yeah:

Tender Bender posted:

I'm playing through the first Xenoblade now and while I like it a lot more than X, the script is still incomprehensible garbage.

Oh I'm not saying Xenoblade is high art but its way better written than Xenoblade X is. Notably you're given reasons to actually care about the people you'll be spending the entire game with as opposed to X throwing 20+ party members at you and only 2 of them mattering.

Eh, who am I kidding. Its way to early to judge this. The character design makes me instinctively recoil from it but it could be solid depending on what was learned from X. Or utterly dreadful. We'll see.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Caphi posted:

I'd like to see them have character skills that matched or transferred to mech skills, really. X had this weird thing where you had a skell build and a ground build that had nothing to do with each other and then class talents for each that you had to take separately (or ground equipment for piloting skells).

The fact that skell combat was less interesting in many ways yet took over the endgame both exacerbated and was exacerbated by that problem. I want to use my giant lightsaber! I've been building for it all game!

I'd like to see there be no mechs because they are boring compared to just killing giant monsters on foot.

The Skell combat in XCX is what made me finally lose interest in the game. It felt like the game expected me to be fighting in the mech basically all the time after getting one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I must have built Fiora wrong because she was pretty mediocre in my Xenoblade run. Best party member after Shulk was actually Rikki of all things. I wouldn't been able to beat the final boss without him since I was underleveled.

Tender Bender posted:

For sure. It still feels super awkward and stilted a lot of times, although it has landed a few times where I came away impressed. One thing the first game does WAY BETTER than the second is presentation; the timing and delivery of lines as well as the placement of the camera in cutscenes is generally quite good. In X the camera is usually just floating randomly while characters spout platitudes at each other in between five second pauses.

X has some baffling cutscenes issues. What stood out to me was when the music actually drowned out the characters. Without subtitles I wouldn't of been able to understand what they were saying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ImpAtom posted:

Did you unlock her bonus skill trees? Those are basically required to get the full impact out of her.

Oh no. I could never figured out how to get those bonus skill trees, aside from the ones I randomly stumbled on. Couldn't even get Shulk's because I didn't have enough affinity with Colony 9. I mean, I almost had enough affinity, but then the quest I complete made me lose affinity. At that point I said gently caress side quests and just went off to beat the game.

Taear posted:

They're both equally stupid and annoying but at least Riki was useful stupid and annoying.

I don't think that's fair to Rikki. I mean yeah he's the obligatory cute mascot character but he doesn't have nearly as many annoying scenes as Tatsu. I'd say the problem with him is that he doesn't contribute much to the plot so he just feels like he's hanging around in a game where all the other characters are pretty involved.

Tatsu does contribute to the plot in X. He does so by almost getting you killed multiple times. Tatsu is the worst.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My little brother is sulking today and told me its because some of the character designs are half-nude little girls? Are they actually doing that crap again?

ImpAtom posted:

The Monado in the first game was a magical super-artifact which contained the sealed soul of a dark god who was actually a scientist from Earth who accidentally destroyed the universe and became the god of a giant robot that was also a country.

"It's an anime girl who transforms into a sword" is like a step down in craziness.

I'll be honest, I prefer to pretend all the stuff involving Earth in XC didn't actually happen because its total nonsense that has no reason to even be in the game. Other than for the sake of a shocking "twist" I guess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't care if its anime or whatever. The main character is dressed like a complete moron. With those pants he'd look stupid in any style.

Yes you can change what they wear but if that's what they give the protagonist then I'm not confident that the rest of the gear you get will be any better. It was hard enough to find a pair of boots in XCX that didn't have high heels.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Evil Fluffy posted:

Uh...
Yeah!
uh.uh.uh.
:shepicide:

I unironically started to enjoy that song. Possibly because the day theme was so bad any reprieve from it was welcome.

• Locked thread