Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Louisgod posted:

Reviews are pouring in, game is not an unmitigated disaster, will be a blast to play.

Many of the import and domestic reviews for this game remind me of the reception for Morrowind. They both seem like slow burn open world games with jank and pacing issues where you go from a nobody to a living God who flies over mountains. Chances are that Xenoblade Chronicles X probably has an annoying enemy that peaks you to death as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Microcline posted:

The writing team wasn't that different.

XB
Concept: Tetsuya Takahashi
Game Design: Koh Kojima
Scenario:
Tetsuya Takahashi
Yuichiro Takeda
Yurie Hattori

XBX
Concept: Tetsuya Takahashi
Game Design: Koh Kojima
Scenario:
Yuichiro Takeda
Mamoru Ohta (co-directed XB's cutscenes)
Kazuho Hyodo

Hyodo was the only newcomer. People were worried about him before release (his other writing credits are the reviled Gundam Seed Destiny and Gundam AGE), but I'm not sure how many of the flaws can be pinned on him. Takahashi's reach often exceeds his grasp and it feels like we got a reverse-disk-2 scenario where they had no idea how to fit the story vision to the gameplay vision.

Xenoblade Chronicles had more hands-on involvement from Nintendo since it was Monolith Soft's first big RPG as an internal Nintendo developer. Hitoshi Yamagami's group from Nintendo was brought in since Monolith Soft wasn't used to delivering a vertical slice of the game and using it as a template for the rest of the game.

For example, Yurie Hattori worked on the script of the first Xenoblade game. She told the development team at Monolith Soft that a guy touching a sleeping girl's cheek is kind of creepy.

Iwata Asks posted:

Takahashi: This was initially a scene where Shulk touched her cheek to communicate his feelings for her. But Hattori-san pointed out that suddenly touching a woman's cheek while she's asleep could be construed as being a little creepy.

Hattori: Well, the two of them aren't lovers, after all. That's why I thought it would be a little surprising for someone you weren't in a relationship with to suddenly touch your cheek while you were sleeping. It would spoil the innocent, naive nature of their love, and would make you think, "wait! Shulk's being a bit forward, isn't he"' (laughs)

Takahashi:
I felt she had a point, and in the end we modified it so that he holds her hand. There were various cases like that, which was really interesting.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd forgotten about Riki's DoTs being busted as poo poo when used in chains. Melia was supposedly OP as hell too but I never really saw it. I might've just been bad at using her though.

Riki needs to be in Xenoblade 2. If not as a playable character then revered as a mythical hero by the Nopon.

One of XCX's issues was it had a feeling of "we're doing this thing because it worked in XC" and Tatsu was by far the biggest offender in that regard. Such a blatant attempt to be a comedy character like Riki but he fails at that while also being utterly worthless. Lin should've actually made him in to a meal and been done with it because he was a total writing failure.

Goddamn, I didn't realize Disgaea 5 was coming to Switch too. That was one of the few games I've wanted to play but lack a PS4. Reasons to buy a PS4 are rapidly approaching zero.

Xenoblade just being '2017' makes me worry it'll end up being maybe late 2017 for Japan and some time in 2018 for the rest of us if we're lucky.

If there isn't a robust multiplayer mode that needs testing in all territories, then a worldwide 2017 release is more feasible.

It'll also help if the Yen-US Dollar conversion rate doesn't tank.

• Locked thread