Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The first 6 hours of this game is a grueling monotony and only after that does it open up. Stick to the quests because if you go off on your own you won't last 30 seconds before something kills you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
There's also a huge big long mclarge huge tutorial where they explain to you the concept of elite monsters(they're the named monsters that have the stats of bosses) but it takes 15 minutes for them to explain it to you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hubris.height posted:

got the special edition on preorder, what am i getting in it?

Big box, Large Artbook, Game, USB stick with songs, art lithograph.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Is the flash drive large enough that you can export the songs then use it for the crazy amount of storage this game needs?

I'm still considering picking it up, though it looks very different from the original Xenoblade.

I wouldn't advise it because you'll burn out the USB stick that way

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
the tit editor is still in the game's code but you need to use something like an action replay(which doesn't exist for the wii-u) or whatever to make the slider selectable.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crabtree posted:

What is a good division to start out with as you're learning the ropes and I guess gaining any resources you can to help out when the game lets you get out from the tutorial?

You will have 6 hours in the tutorial. If you don't learn the ropes by then, then there is no hope for you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Andrast posted:

Or it could be that the reviewer liked Halo 5 a lot.

Halo 5 has less content than halo reach and you can't even do splitscreen multiplayer.

It's not just a step back from previous installments, but a whole flight of stairs.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 30, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bloodychill posted:

On the other hand, XCX looks like it's going to be a lot of fun and it's reassuring to see the critical response is largely positive.

Overall complaints for XCX are:
Tutorial takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long
Open worldness isn't that great because enemies kill you real quick if you venture off the beaten path, so you pretty much have to stick to places around your level to be safe
You get the robots real late in the game and they make up a large part of the gameplay and would have made the game feel more open if they were to be gotten earlier.

They compare it to the mad max game and say it's like not getting the cars until 40 hours in. Or skyrim and not getting any talents right off the bat and having to wait.

The robots are a big part of the game and they really should have been introduced and given to you at the tutorial. Not only that they greatly increase your exploration capibilities of the world.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 30, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Guys I can't play an RPG videogame because the music isn't exactly my thing.

If you're playing an RPG for the music this might not be the genre for you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
so who's ready to have 9 different files for each alternate ending?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sam Faust posted:

Just remember that the first teaser for this game that we didn't even know the name of was published on Jan 23, 2013. That's almost three years ago.

3 years and finally the wii-u has a real game for it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Oh Taint Reaper, you're not even trying anymore.

Every release this year has been absolute poo poo other than Xenoblade.

the year before it you just had Bayonetta 2 and Smash brothers that rose above not poo poo, but both games were over within hours

first year of the wii-u was garbage or filled with nothing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Walrus posted:

watching this timelapse video of the world makes me really want an open world sonic game all of a sudden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb60TSKlJqw

It's almost as if Xenoblade was modeled after Phantasy Star.

it was

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

This is actually a pretty good track (there definitely are a few stand-out pieces) but again, his arrangements are predictable and his schtick of building up "epic" hymns by splicing them to fit the chorus gets old. Still think he'd have been a great guest musician.

You're not going to be hearing any of the music all that much over the screams of agony. VA's did top notch work on game over sounds.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I have on good authority that the pre-sales to the game are pulling Zelda-like numbers.

Sounds like they should start making a third game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hubris.height posted:

wait, which Zelda?

Windwaker....

HD

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Silver Falcon posted:

Well... you could buy the console for this game and the other cool games on the system? Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario 3D World, not to mention Smash and Mario Kart. Oh and there's a Zelda game coming out for it next year. Two if you count Twilight Princess HD.

The NX is more than likely coming in 2016 nintendo already has dev kits out and ramped up production.

So the Zelda for the wii-u is probably going to be a launch title.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So here's the break down

Side Quests are where your character story building moments for people who hate playing games for the mechanics and just want the TV to tell them a story, just like Xenoblade's story.

Main Quest Objectives is big Xenogears/Xenosaga type story, but it's actually finished and there's no mindfuckery, eating people, or clone bullshit.

it's a culmination of all the Xenogames.

Also few of the screenshots show it but nearly everything glows in the dark at night. It looks like a rave party due to all the glowy poo poo.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 2, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Xenoblade has proven twice that whatever irreverent poo poo gimmicks are made for the system the series will throw them in the trash and make a good game without them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm expecting them to announce an HD release of the first xenoblade for the NX so you can finally get a copy of the game that doesn't look like muddy blurry crap. I mean they're fixing the textures in Twilight Princess and that was the blurriest textured game for quite some time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo games don't drop in price ever even in retail though. There are launch WIi U games that are still $50.

This isn't true, Xenoblade is probably the second wii-u game I paid full price for. The Only other one I paid full price for was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I've got everything else worthwhile on the system for around 35 bucks and under. Including Pikmin 3.

Toysrus routinely has nintendo game sales like every other week or so.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 2, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It doesn't usually go below 30 bucks for first party games tho.

I bought Super Mario 3d world, New Super Mario Wii-U, and Super Luigi U all for 20 and under. Same with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zombie Defiler posted:

Yeah when this was announced I was sold, well, double-sold. Xenoblade and Monster Hunter were the primary reasons. Happy I did though since Bayo 2, Mario Kart, Smash, Pikmin, and Hyrule warriors were pretty fun. Looking forward to that new fancy Zelda too.

Since someone mentioned Metal Face earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajETylWuMxk

they have the weapons from Xenogears/Xenosaga.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So someone made their MC look facially like Lin...

soon my waifus...soon.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

they said facially.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

chumbler posted:

Elma looks like she'd be cool, but from what I have heard from a stream last night her voice is incredibly mediocre and boring.

you're just asking...no begging to be spoiled.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Nichael posted:

This game looks beautiful but I can't really get into things if the story is bad. I understand the story isn't great but how weak is it exactly?

Side missions are character stories and character arcs.

main story is big epic war against multiple factions.

it's not weak at all.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hubris.height posted:

is something awful ready for lin the potato

Lin isn't a Nopon

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
My special edition is en route on a cargo plane to NYC :allears:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The only MMO thing about it is the collect 10 of something quests and the fact that it's a large world.

there's no endless grinding to get something, no instance lockouts, no spending hours farming, and no guild drama.

The first game was like if they made a modern Phantasy Star in an open world and this game is still pretty much that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm enjoying reading people's thoughts involving jumping through hoops and performing mental gymnastics by explaining how Xenoblade Chronicles X really isn't anime at all period and you're wrong to call it an anime game.

It's Nintendo's answer to mass Effect honest,really belive me guys, ITS HARD SCIENCE FICTION ITS NOT ANIME GODDAMNIT!!!!!!!!!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

mabels big day posted:

i was going to wait to get this, maybe until i picked up an external harddrive, or at least finished Xenoblade Chronicles 3D but I'm really tempted now... how well does the game run on disc without downloading any of the data stuff?

for the most part the data packs just effect draw distance and pop in.

Loading difference only seems to be a difference of 10 seconds.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
it sucks that you can't use any of the other military vehicles that are strewn around the base. Like you can't even throw them at things.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm dissapointed that the majority of the enemies in this game are just multiple variations of a spider.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Could someone put this in the OP?

Chapter 6 is when you get your first Giant Robot

Chapter 9 is when you can make them fly

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lord Ephraim posted:

Prima must be have a best seller with their guide.
They do, the 15 people ahead of me in gamestop all needed the guide

I was able to get mine and as I was leaving another group just came in needing the guide.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bloodychill posted:

What is even going on in this post

He's mad that the videogame doesn't allow him to sex up the blue aliens like mass effect does.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Also I want to mention to anyone who wants to do all of the achievements, you can't miss or mess up a single one.

they can be gotten in post game as well.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

katkillad2 posted:

Literally nobody asked about this, thanks for the spoilers.

I don't think saying when you unlock a core game mechanic counts as a spoiler

and not only that it's no surprise that you're getting a giant robot since it's on the game's cover itself.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You can't train the Sauropod enemies to new LA and have the guards fight them.

Another strike against the claim of it being a single player MMO.

• Locked thread