Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mill Village posted:

I assume there's going to be one Division all Goons should join for multiplayer?

Nah, that's not how the Squad (assuming that's what you mean) system works, to my knowledge. It's mostly asynchronous stuff, and you want to be as close as possible to the 32-person max at all times, so by default you choose a random group of people to join up with every time you start the game. You can, however, look up the Squad that someone on your Friends List is currently in, as well as send friend requests to those in your current Squad. So it'll still be worthwhile to trade codes ITT if you feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You might want to mention the downloadable data packs, why you might need them, how big they are, etc.

c/p this if you feel like it:

:siren: Nintendo discovered game installs! :siren: Unlike other systems, they're on the game's eShop page (found under DLC) instead of on the disk, which means you can load them before you pick up the game itself. Four packs of textures and other miscellaneous data, ~10GB in all, and about 15GB(?) required for the download and installation. If that's too much for your WiiU internal memory and you don't want to shell out for an external hard drive, just download the basic/field data pack, the one labeled High Impact. This isn't necessary for those taking the digital route, as they're built into the whopping ~23GB download.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 30, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Average Bear posted:

How does the gameplay stand up? This game looks good but idk about $60 good.

It's Xenoblade's gameplay, tuned up a bit and shunted into an open-world mold by a devteam that hasn't made one of those before. I think it's going to be real fun regardless, but it's not going to be without it's warts, many of which you can expect if you've played xenoblade.

Gao posted:

I remember reading that it took 40 hours for someone to finally get a mech. Is that normal, or did he just dick around with other stuff for way too long?

I've seen it vary quite a bit, but it's gonna take a while to get a Skell. Getting one makes on-foot exploration almost completely outmoded, even before attaining a flight unit, so there's a reason why it takes some time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Vanrushal posted:

So some Divisions give rewards for doing things like mapping areas or killing Tyrants, but it looks like you can still do these activities in unrelated Divisions. Will you get the reward for doing those things if you switch to the relevant Division after having done them, or would it better to not do those things until you're in a Division that properly rewards you for doing them?

You can switch Divisions, but it costs money. I think what the devs are going after is for you to "cooperate" with as many of your Squadmates as possible to have multiple division bonuses going on at the same time. When connected online, you'll come across other player's avatars standing around in the field, whom you can either temporarily recruit or ask for their support, gaining their Division bonus if they're in a different one.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also, :siren: DUMB GAME DESIGN WARNING :siren:

The way you add characters to your party is by finding them in town and talking to them. It's gonna be a pain looking for them, so just look at the google doc in the OP to check where any given ally hangs out.

Also, Affinity is more important this time around, rather than something for crazy people to grind up. Affinity is now only built between party members and you, and Affinity Missions are unlocked as it goes up, so it'd be a good idea to try out everybody, benching people as you max out their affinity levels. Affinity Missions provide additional story bits and access to a given character's unique Arts.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 30, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

For example, hang out with this guy enough, and you'll get the Photon Saber Art Spirit Change, which swaps your current TP and HP. Ally revival and Overclock, this game's replacement for Chain Attacks, both cost 3000 TP. Your HP will eventually reach into the thousands. A hint for any aspiring Galactic Knights.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Well, MonoSoft did say they wanted to be become "something like" Bethesda. :v:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/14/inspired-by-bethesda-softworks-monolith-soft-looks-forward-to-jumping-into-the-next-gen/

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

brainwave mainframe psycho got a high kick

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd pay for DLC that made Three Minutes Clapping the NLA theme.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ONE BY WUU-UUUH-UUUUHN
ONE BY ONE

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Anyone know if they still have that super heavy accuracy scaling when you are a few levels above/below an enemy?

Also in terms of classes, anyone seen if one of them has Melia's dropkick? :v:

Don't know how it works, but I don't think it could possibly be that way again, since I hear your level is capped at 60 while enemies go much higher.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 1, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

"Well, it's called a skell. But in the untranslated Japanese version of the game, it's referred to with the Japanese word for 'doll'. So I call them dolls. *sighs* It's not just me, it's actually a common term in giant mech anime."

I've never cared about this dumb pissing match, but they use the English "Doll" in the JP version.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

who cares

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress NoE? The UK launch trailer is basically FILLED with giant spoilers. Including a massive end-game reveal. If you don't want to spoil the plot for yourself, stay the hell away from it.

I already knew, but gj NoE.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Anybody who's seriously bent out of shape by name changes: Be glad you're not dealing with NISA.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Esty Dee"

e: NISA only did the Arland games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tipme posted:

I'm assuming this doesn't have the option to do that switch screens thing to play on the gamepad only since there is extensive use of the gamepad?

Off-TV play's possible, just awkward.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

When I move near a person with a speech bubble over their head, there's a visual effect like a glint of light flying from them to me. What is this? The game didn't say anything about it, and I can't find anything in the manual, all it says about these people is that I'll overhear a conversation if I go near them, which is pretty obvious. I don't think it's an affinity thing, these people aren't named characters.

There are certain quests that are triggered when you overhear people talking about them.

e: Here.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 3, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Geek Out"
:allears: Lin's good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

watched a dork get punched

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

drat, game really throws you into the deep end. 6 hours in and I'm already at Samurai Gunner, and it feels like Elma and Lin's arts and skills keep rolling in every other fight.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

well, that's 10.5 hours clocked.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

game is fun, but has some flaws / annoyances

videogame is, in fact, a videogame

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Farg posted:

So what classes are good? I got up to partisan eagle and it feels weak. What do I get from maxing out one of the final 6 classes?

You "master" that class tree's weapons, meaning you can use them and their related arts even while in another branch.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 5, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LemonAIDS posted:

I just got Blast Fencer and I see they get some some arts that have effects like double damage when used in a combo but I have no clue what a combo is. Is that just when you use the art trigger a soul voice thing?

A combo is using arts in succession. So an effect like "double damage in a melee combo" means performing that art after a melee art.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Augus posted:

When and how do I use them? I wanna give everybody the badass power ranger mech armor but their stats are only really viable for Elma's set-up (she looks pretty hardcore right now though).

Open up the sub-menu with X in the "Ground Gear" menu and choose "Fashion".

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's really cool how there's a decent spread of enemy levels in any given location. You're never completely out of your league, but there's definately some probed that required creative mountain climbing to plant.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:stare: Overdrive is some poo poo, huh? Blew right through some welkin auravises I needed to kill for a quest, when they'd been oneshotting everbody before.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

About swapping classes: am I right in saying that your art/skill setup is saved for if/when you swap back, but your weapon will be reset to that class' default set if you didn't already have class-appropriate weapons equipped?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Suaimhneas posted:

The map is telling me about a heart-to-heart with Irina in the industrial district that appears at night. I'm standing there now, I have Irina in my party, it's night, there's nothing in this map segment to interact with. How is this supposed to work?

Take her out of your party, she'll show up as an NPC.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I dunno if anybody's far enough in the game to know, but how much does the game expect you to competently mix-and-match classes, if at all? I just hit Rank 10 Duelist and I'm going to try out either the Commando or Enforcer chain since I don't want to be a tank, but my mind kinda boggles at the idea of trying to figure out cross-class weapon pairs.

e: At least I can keep my Longsword/Rifle combo while gaining new class skills and arts, because I've gotten attached to how easy it is to build and maintain TP with Decoy Round and Tornado Blade.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 7, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Senerio posted:

My general plan is "max out a rank 3-4 class with weapons from the rank 1-2, then learn attacks for the other weapons and try them out when you have the weapons." It's worked so far. I'm a Samurai right now

I think that's what I'm going to do, I'm just wondering if the game's forgiving enough that it'd be viable to be boring and stick to a single Rank 4 class.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

What the hell does "Increases damage in ranged combos" on the Stream Edge art description even loving mean? That it deals more damage if used after a ranged art? Something to do with soul voices I can't suss out because it's a melee attack? If used while your ranged weapon is out? What the gently caress? This game is loving obtuse.

I want to like it but it's not happening yet :(
This one

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A spiky icon appears around damage numbers whenever you trigger an attack art's bonus effect.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:toot:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely enjoy exploring in this more than in Fallout or Witcher in terms of just sheer actual exploration. Not only can you jump without breaking your legs from a 3 inch drop but the general art design of the environments is largely fuckin' breathtaking which is never is in Fallout and noticeably less in Witcher.

I'm kind of blown away by how good the world design is. Xenoblade Chronicles was pretty, but there wasn't much to exploring besides just running around, and there wasn't much danger aside from the occasional, easily-avoided superboss sitting around. I'd been expecting exploration to be a lot more interesting with the introduction of Skells and a jump worth a drat, but they went far beyond my expectations.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 9, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

After ~30 hours, I've still yet to come across another species as bizarre as the giant birds with horns growing out of their faces.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do I unlock these other points?

Do you have the flight module yet? I just looked for the one closest to NLA after getting my Skell, but no dice.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

After the one in the cave, I'm expecting there to be at least one or two data probes you'll absolutely need to fly in order to plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Unavoidable fall damage is and always will be lame.

• Locked thread