Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I wanted to make boobs with a big character Nintendooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Baal posted:

I mean you get these things from talking to people who played the Japanese version of the game too, just fyi

Those people are too weird to talk to

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

It's almost like a review is just a single reviewer's opinion and shouldn't be taken as an objective fact.

It's almost like also Polygon is infamously known to take MS money to give whatever number MS realistically thinks they can get away with. It's gotta be either that or Polygon is staffed by the kind of people who are really sad the Zune isn't a thing anymore.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
On the other hand, XCX looks like it's going to be a lot of fun and it's reassuring to see the critical response is largely positive.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

icantfindaname posted:

if a game is a AAA tentpole and/or mainstream (read: not anime) nerdbait like marvel stuff or star wars it gets an 8/10 guaranteed unless it's catastrophically broken. indie stuff gets judged fairly IMO but reviewers are sometimes a little too happy to poo poo on them if only because they can't or don't or won't criticize AAA stuff. they'll give between a 6 and a 10. and japanese/anime games get a flat 2 or so points off the score because anime bad lol, and because japanese devs are dying and can't punish reviewers for bad scores, leaving a final range of 5 to 8 out of 10

Fire Emblem Awakening got a metascore of 92 so that last point is kind of eh since it was pretty much anime. Maybe not highschool simulator anime, but still.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Get this: different people like different music!

Louisgod posted:

Here's the problem with the soundtrack: It's repetitive, formulaic, and often doesn't mesh with the environment. In contrast, XB's soundtrack was organic, varied and complimentary to both the environments and situations, proving that poo poo-rear end buttrock with blazing guitars could pump you the gently caress up if used properly, or that a slow melodic piano somehow seems part of a snowy mountain that grows impossible to find cabbage on random ridges.

Sawano's music isn't necessarily bad but it would've been better if he were featured as a guest musician along with those that made tracks for XBC. The Iwata Asks with the musicians gives fantastic insight into how much a labor of love the soundtrack was and how varied each musician is. Sawano has a type and doesn't really deviate outside of it.

:agreed: on all points

I also don't like generic anime buttrock so the music in this game was never going to be my thing since that's pretty much all it is. Luckily the music doesn't necessarily make or break a game, just can make it better. FFT is one of my favorite RPG's of all time even though I find the soundtrack to be boring and repetitive. It would be nice if a game had it all thoooo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

TurnipFritter posted:

Everyone likes Beyonce they should have gotten her to compose the soundtrack.

:yeah:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Cyron posted:

Soon my brother, they will know our name. this game shits all over fallout 4.

No. It is a game and games cannot poo poo.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

JackDarko posted:

I trust the translation I also trust that something like changing Dolls to Skell was probably a committee decision made by marketing. It's not like the translators get to just make poo poo up.

I'm not sure if you're joking but if not, you'd be surprised by how often this actually happens. Even in a somewhat big release like this, all that could have happened is that one senior translator said "I changed Doll to Skell for English markets because Doll has more connotations in English than in Japanese" and no one argued with it because either they didn't care or they agreed and then it was all over the script and then in some marketing and at that point, there's no turning back even when some other senior employee finds out and throws a shitfit for some reason.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

JackDarko posted:

I wasn't joking, I listened to the translators podcast.

So what'd they say about Dolls vs Skells?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So someone made their MC look facially like Lin...

:yikes:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Lodin posted:

Games run better off an external disk than from DVDs. Even if you buy a cheap piece of poo poo 500 GB USB2.0 drive and install the patches that will help the games loadtimes.

Also, according to Jim Sterlings review there's a running joke that Lin is obsessed with food and wants to eat a noppon. Because obviously there is.

Potato cannibalism in this game smh

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure you literally can't dress her in skimpy clothes now, isn't that what the "they're censoring my pedophilia" outcry was over?

No bikinis for Potato-chan, this is true

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Digital downloaded and ready for the unlock :dance:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I like that the dialogue options all boil down to "be normal" and "be an rear end in a top hat."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
So far I'm liking this a lot. Lin's VA is surprisingly good despite the uncanny valley character look. My only complaint so far is the camera is a little floaty and slow but it's not bad enough that it's affected combat at all.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Here's my grizzled mohawk guy chilling with anime teenagers.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Augus posted:

Also I'm finding Lin to be more likable and endearing than I expected.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

Proooobably a dumb question but I'll ask anyway because who the gently caress knows with Nintendo's online stuff sometimes. If I bought this on the e-shop, do I need to download that preload "DLC" or whatever?

No. That DLC is for people with the disc versions to help with loading times ingame. Not a dumb question though, I was wondering myself and looked it up last night :)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Lasers and miniguns are cool but they are also the weapons most likely to turn the one not-sheep you are fighting into a herd of not-sheep and a normally peaceful level 50 giant dinosaur thing chasing you to your likely death.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Fix posted:

That its script was found crumpled in the bottom of its 12 year old author's backpack being one of them. That it was then given voice by his extended family being another.

This poo poo is dire.

*pick one of two emotional responses*
*display no emotion*
*everyone reacts as if you're dropping bombs*
*mutely rock back and forth*

UH UH UH YEAH! UH YEAH YEAH YEAH!

What is even going on in this post

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Also they need to let you change town music to something more relaxed. Like part of town customization or something. AH CANT HEAR YOU AH CANT SEE YOU SCAT BOO BOP is starting to make my ears bleed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Senerio posted:

I just got H.B.

I don't think H.B. will ever be in my party again unless he's forced.

I'm in the HB mission right now trying to figure out how to get to Noctilium. Maybe swimming around the island wasn't a great idea...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Out of Lin quest purgatory but done for the night. Fast travel depending on the tablet sucks because of the battery power in the thing. Still, when it got close to dying, I went and out it in its cradle, took out the pro controller, and just ran around Primordia killing and climbing things and found my way up into the upper levels of that huge mountain where literally everything is high level and wants to kill you. Fun stuff. Just sooo many quests to do.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, the Probe Site up at North Janpath Plain is a real dick move to find. It's on the edge of the Segment, in a cave on a mountain.

Incidentally, where is the Probe Site just North-West of NLA? I have looked literally high and low for that fucker.

Hah, I looked all over for that North Janpath one and gave up figuring it was somehow plot-blocked. For the other one, I think it's down on an island in the inlet.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Saigyouji posted:

I just wish inactive party members had level scaling. It's kinda annoying to be stuck with a bunch of level 16s who would drop dead if anything I fight in my level range looks at them.

Can you power level them by taking them as deadweight for high level fights at least?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The Manon needed better effort voice-work, period. Just such a lame, obnoxious cop-out. Their dialog is otherwise ok if a little too Tatsu-like. And Tatsu is the worse than Chuu by a mile. His haircut alone makes me want to punt him.

Luckily chapter 5 was pretty fun with some challenging scenarios and options/shortcuts for taking different approaches. Also after finishing it I now get why some people are pissed about the silent protagonist thing. I'm finding it easy to just consider Elma the protagonist while I tag along, however. It was pretty funny though because i was wearing a heavy robotic suit for that entire set of cutscenes. I really wished I had recorded it because it came off as especially weird and silly.

edit: The free reports system is also weird. I keep getting the same reports from people, and I'm not talking about the L+A thing. These usually have the Miiverse icon on them so I'm guessing they're just popular Miiverse posts or something. It sucks to miss out on occasional fun goon chatter but I'm probably going to disable reports display because the spam is just screen clutter and I have enough actual relevant information overload going on with the rest of the screen.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 8, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Evil Canadian posted:

Already lost more than 3 times and told that option to gently caress off cause I ain't accepting anime game handouts. Guess I am just too low level then.

Make sure all your arts are upgraded, skills are equipped on all your characters, skills are upgraded (first one is 2bp so almost a freebie to get level 2 skills) and make sure your soul voices are set. Kill monsters on your way in to build your TO so you can either overdrive or revive someone.

I beat him at level 23 on my third try when I realized I had 50 bp on my PC, Lin, and Elma, 300 on Lao (whoops), The third try wasn't exactly cake but it was a hell of a lot easier than the first two attempts.

Also, chapter 6 conclusion left me feeling like Elma is a total dick. She's so intent on hiding her mysterious secret back story that she'll let Lin and co waste time analyzing the alien mech without her possibly crucial help while the fate of humanity literally slips away second at a time. Just such a lovely thing to do. I realize that this kind of "slow drip mysterious back-story reveal" thing is par for the course with mecha anime but it still made me want to slap her and tell her to get her poo poo together.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Also I have discovered the correct way to play this game. Only use the mission computer for main story stuff (marked Social) and anything you can complete immediately. If you plan on going to a zone for story quests, grab what's in that zone but don't stress about it.

Then, just explore a LOT. Exploration in general is the best way to progress. You open up fast travel points, you get to know areas, you pick up tons of materials and samples which let you auto-complete quests, you level up, and you get to see the immensely beautiful world they put together. I went from enjoying to absolutely loving the game by letting my OCD for missions go and just exploring the game world.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Just a reminder - after every story quest, do a quick run around NLA districts. You'll usually find at least a couple new side quests marked with red question marks. Unlike affinity and story quests, you can complete these at your leisure.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Your game pad will tell you where they are. Why didn't they just let you use the menu to do it? Same reason they took being able to adjust time from the menu. Because gently caress you.

Luckily I'm fine running around with Elma and Lin and whoever happened to be in my party for whatever reason.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Skells are fun. My second battle with one, it blew up and I got a very appropriate achievement. I then realized maybe I should equip some weapons on the thing to actually do real damage.

Also, I'm glad I waited to travel to Sylvanum until I had s skell. It took less than a minute to get there from Primordia's north coast.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Terper posted:

Has it been destroyed multiple times without you getting the Perfect eject? If so, you need to buy a new one. Insurance only lasts so long.

Is there a way to extend or buy new insurance? I'm not super concerned because I'm at the point where my probes are starting to rake it in but I'd still prefer to keep the things going as long as possible.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Saigyouji posted:

No. You can get salvage tickets if your division is top of the rankings, though, which pay for one repair job.

Alright, cool. I have collected a handful of those so I know what to do with them when my first really expensive skell eats it a few times.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What you find annoying I find super annoying. It's poo poo on a 39" hdtv.

Maybe it was fine when you sat 3 feet from your tv because your japanese apartment was 10'x10'x8'

I have a 55" and it's still a bit of a pain sitting at my normal couch distance. In my opinion, they need to make the text bigger and let you increase and decrease volume on music/voices/etc (like most modern games) and they need that in a patch asap.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That sucks because my days off are sunday and the middle of the week :\ Otherwise it's late at night when everyone's going to bed.

Join the big goon squad that seems to always be going. Last night we managed to finish 3 or 4 while I was on. I even helped by killing a bunch of crabs!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

PRADA SLUT posted:

Where do you find / join these?

When you first login, you can choose your squad mode. Choose the bottom option. Look at the squads everyone is in and pick the one that most people are in. It was 05U-487 for like 3 days and culminated into being like 25 goons but now that squad seems to be bugged so it's probably something else now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Saigyouji posted:

Go-rha should be the game's mascot, really.

I saw him and was like "oh that's the guy people are talking about. I'll just uh let you do your thing Mr. Robot."

And just a heads up, Galactic Knight has some skills that are extremely useful for other trees - the melee cooldown buff, beam damage buff, and ether damage buff are all pretty damned useful. I have shifted over to Samurai tree after mastering GalKnight because I missed easily being able to topple things though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

horriblePencilist posted:

You can't, it's just a hole in the wall. I tried it several times as well but no dice.
Also, what's the quickest way to powerlevel affinity?

Doing basic missions does pretty well. Doing soul echos in combat increases it. Not sure if there's any way to go faster than that.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Levantine posted:

photon sabers are insanely good

Damage like crazy. Those little shoulder cannons kind of suck though and led to a few wipes when I accidentally used the AOE ability as part of a soul voice combo and hit a nearby giant monster nearby.

• Locked thread