Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eopia posted:

Ugh. Apparently npc allies can't be trusted with any AOE arts because they just turned an easily won battle against a single opponent into a crushing defeat against ten.

This keeps happening to me. There's a few enemies where it seems VERY easy to pull ones that are quite far away. I can't work out why.

I was smashing up some gun emplacements in Chapter 5 and there was a certain pull of Prone in Oblivia that always always had me attack a specific one and the NPCs run off to another, set off an AoE and bring in one of the level 35 robots wandering around the area. It's so loving frustrating and took me forever to find a way to get in without having to fight that one specific enemy.

I don't want to read too much of the thread for fear of spoilers but it seems a bit unfair that my guys don't level when they're not with me. Doing affinity quests and we're all level 25 but Gwin is level 12 or whatever is a strange choice for them to make. Especially since in this one they MAKE you do some of them to carry on the main quest.

I have two questions that might already have been answered and I'm sorry if they have.
Firstly are collectables only in very specific spots? I remember that some of them in the first game were but I can't QUITE tell in this. I do wish there was a prompt when you picked up something that you'd not picked up before, it'd be really handy. The quests to make you collect stuff can be really punishing with this in mind, it's basically "This item is in a very specific spot on this entire continent welp have fun".

Secondly what are the reasons for the armour classes? Light, Medium, Heavy? I see Light tends to give a tiny bit more potential but otherwise they seem basically the same. I expected the manual to tell me but it doesn't. Am I missing something? For a game that requires you to read the manual for anything to make sense it really isn't very good. I wish it was actually a paper copy or it was easier to get online because I immediately forget what the loving colours and symbols match up to on the map and it's taken me forever to learn the latter!

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Is this game actually any good? My roommate picked it up, but I don't want to waste several hours playing this 60+ hour game just to find out it's poo poo

Did you like the first one? Do you like slightly grindy open world RPGs?
If the answer to either of these is yes, get it.

The visuals are fantastic, there's some loving glorious scenery and I really love the music too. In fact it's the first game where I'm humming it later on.

It's pretty anime though if that really bothers you.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

There's a quest named "A Proper Chopper" that if I google all I can find is people trying to find the locations of the collectables you need for it. I've already got them but I cannot hand it in.

All she does is tell me where to go again. She does have the ! above her head of a completed quest and I feel like I'm missing something - the prompt doesn't turn up for me to hand the stuff to her. Could it be that I used one in a collection without realising and now don't have enough or would that have updated the quest and made me get it again or what?
Sometimes this game is so loving poo poo at telling you stuff.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

just wait until they reveal which one of the "female" npc's has a secret to hide...... :wink:

Thanks for that spoiler.

So I'm on Chapter 8 and doing the fight at the end of it. My Skell died and I don't appear to be able to bring it back and because there's only 3 of us I'm having a really hard time.

Have I missed a way to pick up some of the other characters I've levelled up or a way to get my Skell back? I'm not really sure what to do.

Also I agree about the exploration in this game. In Chronicles every location is introduced to you via the story and it made it feel like it had more impact. While this game is really beautiful I feel strange just sort of wandering over to places or swimming to them. It doesn't seem as special, I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Barracks, customization console, Hangar.

No I've been there. It doesn't do anything. It doesn't say that my Skrell is being replaced like it would do in normal circumstances.
I assume my Skrell is SOMEWHERE and I don't know where to go. I don't think this battle is beatable without it as well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

If you've been there and it isn't being replaced then you ran out of insurance. Your skell auto-travels with you regardless unless it is destroyed so it can't go missing.

Well it can because it could be at the gates of NLA since the two locations in Chapter 8 are unique.

It's really frustrating that I can't find any information on the paticular fight online.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I had real difficulty doing the quest for Phog because some random enormous monkey thing continually aggroed on me. It was level 60+ and the mobs for the quest were level 12, how annoying.

I'm 49 hours in and I think that the first game was better than this one. This is really pretty and I enjoy the Skell dynamic as well as the missions in the town being far less of an arse compared to the first game.
But the gathering quests are such an enormous time sink and having to google it every single time and then spending forever looking for stuff gets to me. And then quests lead to other quests so you don't feel like you can just leave it and not bother.

Also quests that say "Kill 10 grex" or whatever and then don't direct you to them. Again I know I can google it but it's still annoying that arbitrarily this quest doesn't show me where the mobs are but the one before did.
And not telling you what level things are! I take four tyrant quests and one is level 11 and the next is level 50 with no warning at all. Why?! Then learning that many of the missions from the big panel thing are how you recruit people, I didn't realise that until I googled the Phog one - I assumed it meant a mission from a person to pick up that quest.

Having to read the manual for everything is annoying too. I had no idea what that grab thing was all about because I'd read about Skells 30 hours ago and it wasn't easy to find it again. I didn't know about the "B" after you come out of the skell affecting insurance either! I'm glad someone here posted about it.

There's just so many little annoyances that build up to make playing a pain. For the most part it's still fun and I want to complete it but when I've only got like 3 hours a day for 3 days to play a lot of the time using two of those hours to find some gourd that is a 1/100 drop in a specific area feels like a big waste of time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

greatn posted:

Kill X of Y are pretty easy and show up on you radar. Also Find Specific Probe is good.

Then you get to the X of Y and they're level 60. I was TOTALLY ignoring the quest board until I discovered that you have to do it for some "real" quests. I guess I just don't like the mixture. It would be better if quest board is entirely and only repeatable quests for tiny useless amounts of money (seriously, 3k?) and normal quests all come from people instead of mixing it up a bit.

And I didn't bring my Skell to the Phog quest - that big monkey aggros on you regardless! He's running around the area and has an eye aggro marker.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 8, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

a cartoon duck posted:

The big problem is that almost nobody has anyone to play off of, so all they get is a silent protagonist to monologue at, and it's pretty loving hard to care about a character when all they can do is monologue at you about their feelings and histories rather than have them organically revealed and grow with the rest of the cast.

It'd be nice if they were a bit more alien as well. There's too many very similar humans, or anime character archetypes like HB.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah when L joined up I was like sweet, we're gonna get a bunch of aliens! Nope just twenty humans. The lion dude I've seen once seemed to have a glaringly obvious "THIS GUY IS GONNA JOIN YOUR PARTY" sign over his head but I guess he doesn't join up.

Cut the party members in half and use those resources to give them conversations with each other.

This might be the first RPG where I choose my fourth party member just because they use an ability set that nobody else does. I feel I should always use Lin and Elma but that's as far as it goes.
Right now party member 4 is Murderess. I think that party members not levelling up when they're outside your party also makes it so you're not likely to mix it up unless you absolutely have to so the more I use Murderess the less likely I am to put someone else in my party.

Does anyone know the reason you cannot buy probes? Or does that change later? If they're going to make it so that a Research Probe I doesn't synch with a Research Probe IV then at least let me plan it a bit by allowing me to buy some of them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You never buy them. You get the most out of Research Probes by placing them on sites with viewpoints rather than what the revenue rating is, with adjacent Booster or Duplicator probes. Kirsty's quests will you most of the Research Probes in the game.

Again though that doesn't explain why you can't buy them or why the different types don't synch up properly. Having the bonus mechanic almost feels pointless because it's so hard to get a decent chain when the most of a paticular type you can get is four or three.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It feels really weird to have such an enormous list of items to make when the stuff you need for it is ONLY available if you specifically farm. There's no items at all I've been able to make through normal play.

Also can someone give me a few pointers on making money? I have quite a few probes out and about and many spare but it's so tedious to click through all those probes to see where I can place.

Plus - why can't I raise my Mechanical to 5? Can your top skill only be two better than your lowest? I seriously can't remember.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of items you will get just by normal play. I was able to make a good chunk of high-end augments just by random poo poo I had lying around.

Probes are the way to make money. Find a spot with high-value landmarks, and build a resource probe nest around it.

As far as your skills: They all top out at 5. Once you it level 4 you have to do a special quest called Off The Record for each which unlocks level 5. It should be on the BLADE board.

I don't mean augments. I can make a few of those through random play. I'm talking specifically equipment. I've never had the bits to just make one, I have to buy them each time.
Your guide about appendages before shows why since I'm not randomly killing stuff and blowing off arms and legs. It's just a strange choice. Very JRPG I guess.

And I know that, I'm actually asking for specifics. Is there anywhere that's "known" to be good or is it randomly determined and I have to find it myself? I find using the Wii U remote tedious and the screen isn't sensitive enough so it takes me loving forever.

Thanks for the information about the quest. I had no idea. Another one I'd have completely missed, so annoying. This game seriously lacks breadcrumbs.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Vanrushal posted:

I've been following this setup for my probes. If you have a Skell you can get a lot of these filled out even without the flight mod if you've been diligent in finding field treasures.

Now that's an impressive guide. I really wish I could reverse the ones I'd already set now!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ashsaber posted:

Do you have the flight pack? A level 50 Skell? A Phoenix? If so, at the divine roost in Noctilum, inside the flower is around 20 level 60 Blattas. Slap on a few Insectoid Slayer XX Augs, then Nuke them with AOEs. Be aware that there is a level ~90 tyrant version, but its a wimp for the most part. If you have treasure sensor gear on your NPCs you'll be able to sell the drops for ~100k per run, and each run only takes around a minute (mostly going through all the loot drops). Its a late game thing, but I found it works.

I'm only level 37 unfortunately.

I didn't know that I could remove probes and put them back so I guess it's time to go mad! I don't have all of them since until I asked here I didn't know how to get to Mechanics 5 but now I should be able to. Hurrah!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Joker in the Divine roost.

He's located in the big flower itself along with 12 other level 60 bugs. Just wiped them all out and you get like 1-2 scout levels per fight as well as 3 regular levels for a character.

Where is that?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Ok, let's go with it having a decent story that was very well executed, supported by its incredibly inventive setting.
(I'm not disparaging XCX's settings as they are twice as pretty as XC's but man having the game take place on the body of two giants was really cool)

Xenoblade was definitely a better game. Or at least a better RPG. This one is way more anime for longer which can get a bit grating but it is also hurt by the open world part of it.
I just don't feel like I'm progressing the game when I'm progressing the story, if that makes sense!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

If I don't do any of the heart to hearts do I miss out on actual quests or just character development?
Triggering them takes too long and I'd rather miss them unless I have to do them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

When it's used in the pejorative sense it tends to be shorthand for "contains a number of anime tropes or cliches which I, personally, find displeasing." In this case it probably applies to XCX's garbage character designs, leaden attempts at humor, and getting saddled with things like the 14-year old super-genius cliche right off the bat.

Thirteen year old. Somehow that makes it worse. Isn't Shulk an actual adult too? (edit: He's 18. Way less weird.)
It's the weird tropes and the stupid "hilarious" sidekick that they constantly make fun of and have the same joke repeated over and over and over and over.

The ones in the previous game felt more like common JRPG tropes - killing 'god' and loads of robots - rather than ones specifically from TV shows.

But yea it always helps that it was in UK voices since I'm from the UK, it did make it feel more real to me.

There's something strange and stilted about all of XCX. Almost like a Bethesda game where all the time scales and story beats come across as fake. Big Lion Man tells me he's keeping me prisoner but then I can die and go away and do a shitload of quests and visit NLA and etc etc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Motto posted:

i'm just saying that, to me, it's weird to make the discussion about how "japanese" one japanese game is in comparison to another rather than what you actually liked or disliked about it, especially when that's a really nebulously defined metric.

It isn't saying that it's more japanese. I'm saying it shares lots of features with specific Japanese animated TV shows.

Like if the characters did loads of weird slow talking to the screen it would share features with American Kids TV but not specifically be American.

Yes Riki is in the first game but if you don't use him in your party then there's no need to put up with the same joke delivered the same way. "What would you like to eat? I'd like to eat Tatsu, haha." at the start of every bloody quest.

I don't remember being able to leave XBC's places to level up in that same way but maybe I was just prepared for each part so I didn't keep dying like I have done in this. I really wish quests had their levels on them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

See, that I can agree with.

Xenoblade was way better about this because every character had a distinct interesting unique playstyle which absolutely defined their character. Some of them were pretty dull (Reyn) but by and large they were all cool and distinctive. In X you basically just grab Lin and Elma and then whoever you like best to fill out the roster and there's no meaningful difference to them or reason to swap out from using the protagonist who can do everything better than everyone else. Technically I think H.B is the mechanically best tank but the difference between him and Lin is so minuscule while Lin is plot-mandated for so much that they should have just given you a set cast of characters instead. (I know part of the bloat is because some characters were DLC in the Japanese version but that isn't much better.)

Also Riki is better because he is absurdly broken in combat as opposed to Tatsu whose worth is literally negative.

When you have 20 or however many characters almost all of whom are interchangable men with big hair then why even bother using them? My fourth player choice is entirely based on who doesn't share gear with me, lin or elma.
It wasn't like that in the first game.

The game feels so much like a MMOG. In the same way SWTOR felt like a single player game that they attempted to attach MMOG mechanics to and did sorta badly this is the reverse.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Louisgod posted:

The game definitely shines when you start delving into the sidequests. Finding out how the Orpheus reproduce was neat, discovering how stressful and annoyed some of the NLA population is with having new xenos come into their city and the various reactions to it is pretty interesting and a good commentary on society in general, and building what feels like an inclusive society is pretty fun. A big problem is that the main story plays up the urgency of finding the LifeHold - even giving it a timer - which comes off as an afterthought since it seems like nobody else in the base gives a poo poo outside a few others. You have an alien species loving blow up Earth and destroy all the other colony ships that are trying to escape yet you can't destroy an idle loving city that's stranded on an ocean store? Okay, you hate humans a whole lot and want them destroyed but.. somehow start with the equivalent of the Library of Congress segments.

I rationalised that as the Aliens wanting to torture humanity. So they knew people would escape Earth but they didn't want to destroy the last humans until they'd seen everything else get smashed up.

It still seems stupid but less stupid, I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

It sounds like all you did is unlock the probe sites and didn't bother to fight any of the harder Tyrants or do the multitude of world quests that are out there.

Like drat there's so much hidden stuff in the game it's insane. The game gives you options on what direction you wanna go in and you're really missing some well done boss fights if you're skipping World Tyrants like Drifting Cloud or telethia.

Fighting is kinda boring. That's not what I'm in an RPG for. Especially since fights in the Skell feel like HP sponges. Ability is up, use ability. Wait.
I quite enjoyed the ground fights in comparison but Tyrants still mostly feel like the same enemy doing the same stuff but with more HP.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Davos posted:

Being able to explore things doesn't make it immersive, things like logical consistency, atmosphere, sound design, compelling backstory and characters, etc. do that. While Mira looks visually interesting I just don't find it that immersive to run around this world filled with MMO mobs collecting floating blue diamonds and completing a checklist of hunting and gathering quests

The first game has an immersive world. This one has some amazing visuals - like the gigantic dinosaurs and such - but it never actually comes alive.

Also combat against things that aren't real people is always boring and I play RPGs entirely because of the story and exploration. XCX scratches the second part of this but not the first.
I'm fine to carry on to see more aliens though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

The first game has a plot that provides personal investment and forward momentum for most of your actions. This one doesn't. That's about the long and short of it.

Also the numerous QoL issues probably don't help either, Xenoblade was already pretty bad at that and XCX fixes one problem (sidequest queues) and somehow makes everything else even worse

Yep, as we said earlier in the thread - each part of Xenoblade is introduced to you via the main story. It gives it weight. Each character has a role in the story and is unique with their own special role.
XCX hasn't got this. For me it fixed the issue of taking forever to find quest givers which was the worst part of Xenoblade but that's the lot.

It's also a shitload more opaque generally, so much stuff isn't told to you even in the manual.

quote:

Except the object of a game is to not tell a story. Games are all about mechanics and the story is supposed to be more of an afterthought.
Nope. Especially you using D&D as an example, that's all about stories and mechanics are the afterthought.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

a game that uses mechanics as an afterthought does not have phonebook sized rulebooks with nothing but monster stats. D&D gives you the freedom to do whatever the gently caress you want within the context of the game.

The stats don't make the game. The game is the story and the stats are there to frame it within.
Whereas you believe it's the other way around.

I played D&D because I liked the setting. The rulebooks are there to give more stuff to do within that setting that's approved by the people who created the setting instead of having to rely entirely on our own imagination.
They frame the story. The story is the bit you're actually there for, or why bother with a role playing game at all?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Lots of people need a reason to do stuff in games, man. I was beating this same drum when FFXIII came out. It doesn't matter how fun or solid the gameplay is, if you're just spending hours and hours hitting buttons and watching bars go up without context or purpose then many people feel a yawning pit in their stomach as the fleeting minutes of their lives trickle away. Functional stories provide context. XCX doesn't have one.

Absolutely 100%. And I disliked FF13 for the same reason that XCX has mostly rubbed me the wrong way.
Characters that felt 'off' and annoying as well as tonnes of busywork quests without an interesting context behind it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

chumbler posted:

XCX has a functional main story, just not a very good one and not much beyond functional.

In XBC I felt like the exploration was driven by the story. I'm going from place to place because that's where the next bit leads me to. It's also all "new ground" for the main few characters and they're just as amazed by it as you are.

In XCX the story moves me around a lot of locations. It tells me that Mira is amazing and undiscovered but a lot of the time when I'm visiting a place for the first time it's part of a busywork quest and there's loads of stuff set up there already.

There's something about XCX's story that feels like I'm meeting a criteria to unlock a quest in the post-game of some open world thing. It's hard to completely describe beyond it feeling sort of like a MMOG. Do this quest to unlock X, do this quest to unlock Y.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

And I'd understand that if people were not complaining about doing the exact same things they were doing in Xenoblade. Like "I didn't like Xenoblade's gameplay and I just stuck with it for the plot" makes sense to me. "I didn't like Xenoblade's gameplay but the plot made collecting 9 blue crystals fun" doesn't, especially because the sidequests are given among the least context and plot-weight in the entire game. Xenoblade X actually gives a lot more plot-weight and focus to sidequests by actually trying to build them into coherent storylines which Xenoblade almost completely drops the ball on because you never even get resolution to most of the sidequests in that game beyond "Mission Complete: Ron was very happy with his rat-asses."

The side quests in Xenoblade unlock another line for characters to progress down, going from 3 to 5.
The side quests in Xenoblade also allow you to raise affinity for characters that have some personality.

I quite like the sidequests in XCX because they feel in the same vein but most of the characters have so little to them. It's such a strange decision since the characters were talked about SO MUCH for Xenoblade, I don't understand it at all.

And ImpAtom you're the one being weird and unreasonable. What you're saying isn't fact and you're acting like it is.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

I mean it is a bit confusing why you're posting in a thread for a game you apparently hated and stopped playing.

Because ImpAtom is replying to other people with "no sorry the idea that you're playing a game for a story is wrong".
It's not about the original point of the voice acting any longer.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

chumbler posted:

Raygun classes are honestly just kind of boring due to long cooldowns, lame special conditions, and unimpressive damage. Try the dual swords/guns class. I found it a lot more engaging. Also remember that once you've gotten the end class in a line to 10 you can use its weapons and arts in a different class.

Also yah, that's all virus does.

I've got the lightsaber class to the top and although I can use the weapons and skills in other classes I don't think the arts are available. They might be just hard to see though, I dunno.

Also the Prone are super similar to the Mangalore from Fifth Element.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So the companions that don't give Achievements - like Alexa - they're DLC from the Japanese version right? Just curious, I can't see any other reason for it.

I wish more of the xenoforms were recruitable. You come across so many characters that SEEM like they'd be really easy to make into a recruitable character but nope.

And is there any secret to getting the "Marry Me" basic mission to appear? I check constantly and nothing so far. I assume it's the quest for Hope since she's the only person I don't have from the list above!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So I know I have asked this before but I'm still not certain. The quest for level 5 Mechanics is from the board right? How do I get it to appear? Do I have to be at number 4 with everything?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Join the prospectors, you'll get tons of reward tickets for doing basically nothing.

I think I'll switch to that. I'm too scared to lose my Skells right now because the cost of replacing them is so utterly ridiculous, I have to keep reloading!

I'm fighting a fuckoff big spaceship and I feel like I have no chance. I have to have all three characters in at least level 30 skells don't I? Ugh. My kingdom for a money cheat! I almost feel like the random missions are missing a zero because killing a level 80 Tyrant to get 7500 credits is entirely 100% pointless.

quote:

So, money. I know that after completing the main story there are apparently missions that open up that you can do over and over that give you upwards of 300,000 NLA Dollars or whatever per run. Is there any reason to try and gather money before you can do that? Seems to me that sounds so easy to do that if I want big lvl 50 skells or something I should just wait.
You kinda need those skells for beating the bosses in the primary missions.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Lot of mechanical container searching mostly. The only points that actually matter to put research probes on are points that have nearby sightseeing spots (revenue rating is irrelevant on these sites), and there's a juicy block of them in 313, 315, 317, and 318 that you may want to invest a booster/duper into. Also need to actually locate said sightseeing spots to activate the huge bonus that they give, but you can fly so that won't take all that much time, but said spots can also be about a full hex away from the actual site as well.

The link from earlier in the thread (click on me and search my posts, I quoted it, can't find it otherwise myself) is really good. Changing stuff around based on that has netted me just under 40k. It would be more but I've already placed a lot of stuff in the "wrong" places and it's expensive moving it.

I really loving wish the level 5 mechanics quest would turn up, I want to get all the probe sites now thanks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Ideas for improvements should we get a sequel in the same vein (Xenoblade Chronicles Y?). Little niggling things.
--Ability to adjust music volume relative to other audio. I get it, you can't hear or see me.
--Fashion gear having "empty" as an option aside from "what's actually being worn." A tank top and jeans looks weird with two armored fists, and I'd like only *some* of my characters to have no helmets.
--Collect-o-pedia and enemy index saying where to find things once you've seen them. "Wandering around the Twin Arches" instead of just "Oblivia" for example. Make those things actually useful.
--The ability to take notes in-game. The number of times I've gotten a new treasure rank or a few levels and try to remember the places I found that I want to head back to... not to mention all the caves scattered about.

Make it so the treasures on the map update to say that you've seen them, so once you get there it gets a big blue tick. That's actually possible in the engine now too. It wouldn't be perfect but it's a step forward.
Just make every enemy appear to track. I don't really see why they shouldn't do. It tends to be quests where it's X "Monster or others" that don't.

And put in "Hide helmets". I have Lin and Elma in gear that doesn't have helmets just so it stops cut scenes looking dumb as hell. Why isn't it an option?!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's actually a general "Hide Helmets" option in the settings menu, but it applies to all party members.

Yea I want to keep mine. My main character looks atrocious. Alas.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Calaveron posted:

There's a couple of reference and one usage of the term humans were called in the original game followed by a literal wink at the camera

Also Tatsu mentions the village from the first game!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Pros:

A wide-open world to explore with a lot of actual legitimate exploration
A fun fast-paced combat system
Giant robots
Sidequests have some really fun worldbuilding and potential alternate outcomes.
Really cool world design with some great visuals.
Music is hilariously peppy J-buttrock
A frankly absurd amount of content

Cons:
Main story is trash, including bad cutscene design.
Combat does eventually devolve into a few degenerate strategies
Giant robot combat is kinda dull.
Pretty ugly character designs.
Music is hilariously peppy J-buttrock
A lot of that content is MMO-style collection quests with a bad UI for finding the items you need.

To add a Con here - many quests require you to get rare drops. It's worse than any modern mmog. BUT you can buy them using the multiplayer tickets. It's a weird line and hard to decide if it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is incorrect. The crappy basic quests require this, the ones with actual side-story content don't. Don't do the basic "collect ten pig asses" quests, just roll through the list once in a while and pick the ones that will auto-complete due to you having them already.

What? You're wrong. There's plenty of proper side quests that have gathering. I don't mean the board either. As an example BOTH of Professor B's quests do and they're important.

• Locked thread