Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think that all those tnt barrels were scattered around so that diddy could kill the krushas in the way.

The weird thing about the gimmicks in a lot of the gimmick levels is that they're weirdly used. Like the fuel barrels require you to pretty much grab every last one of them, so why did they bother with the elaborate 5 points of fuel and fuel barrels restore different amounts of fuel thing? It's a lot of complexity that could have been cut in exchange for simply having the game go "Hit this barrel or die".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Yggdrasil325 posted:

I enjoy the concept art you get from collecting puzzle pieces, so I usually don't mind the normal collecting/the bonus games.
gently caress Bopopolis's puzzle pieces. Each and every one is a gigantic middle finger.

At least the level starts you off with a basically free 1up so you can dick around going after them as much as you like.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I cared about the puzzle pieces enough to collect them all!
I also 102%'d DK64 though, so I have a problem with collecting shiny things in games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

Despite its flaws I think that DK64 is one of the best games in the series if you don't meticulously gather all of the golden bananas, for which there is no reward.

Fight me, nerds.

Not true! They give you shiny percentage numbers! That said I'll join you as a weirdo that likes dk64

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Polsy posted:

Don't they actually increase the timer in the final area?

I only actually got round to beating DK64 earlier this year even though I got to the final boss like 8 years ago then stopped playing because it was hard. I don't think I'll be going back to 10x% it, somehow (also I've forgotten all the button combinations for the moves).

Nah, that was the blueprints off of kasplats(Which also gave you a golden banana hence the confusion)

Once you have enough golden bananas to unlock the last stage they literally are just another collectible doohicky.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tidal terror and the octopus chase were just fantastic. If returns did something well, it was coming up with cool stuff to platform over and around.

I spent the vast majority of that worlds videos wondering if argate would ever roll into a red crab.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

I can't remember if it was Viking or Mongol or something, but at least in Legend some warlord would torch their ships. No surrender or escape. If you want to get home you rip a boat out of some poor fools house or something.

There was a rather silly mission in Warcraft 3 based around the concept if I recall.

Personally, I think they're ripping apart their boats because they heard what happened to the Kremling's home after the krocs let the kongs get their boats.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

tldr: it's fun to grab a good chunk of the puzzle pieces, even if you don't want to 100% the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

Those Zinger hive levels are annoying, but when you use the tag-team ability, you're able to walk over the honey without being mired down. And not surprisingly, the "cutlass guys" are named Kutlass.

And they didn't make them girly kremlings? For shame, Rare.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Since you mentioned Mortal Kombat in the video, I thought this Youtube clip would be appropriate

This is strangely beautiful.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The number of close misses while trying to grab vines in this video really makes that grab animation completely worth it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Digital Jello posted:

I mostly agree with you, but for me, I'll take rewards that offer some form of replay value; in example, if you 100% something, why not unlock a secret character to play as that can carry over to a New Game+ (or equivalent)? The mirror version would also be pretty neat, but I like the idea of starting a stage from the end to the beginning, rather than just swapping perspectives. I'm not much of a completionist, so I have no real desire (or time, anymore) to go after things that would take me forever; bragging rights aren't really worth it for me.

For instance, mirror mode would be hella more fun if you had only diddy rather than donkey. It would at the very least give it some new flavor, rather than just being stupid hard and that's it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

FPZero posted:

The beat requirement for this chapter is really tough

*gets 1200 beats on the second stage alone*

Also, the drums on anvil of krom really work well with the concept of this game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

Yep, Rocket Rush looks just as horrible as I remembered it as a kid. You can only screw up on the ride up twice, and the rocket is ridiculously slow in moving right to left, so you'll fail a lot. It's more bullshit than the Parry barrel, and it makes DKCR's rocket barrel levels look like a breeze.

Tyrant Twin Tussle wasn't so bad for me, but Swoopy Salvo is the DKC version of bullet hell. gently caress Krematoa.

Edit: Oh yeah and gently caress that boss fight too. This whole world is why I don't remember DKC3 very fondly.

As a person that didn't play the original dkc's as a kid, I couldn't help but spend the whole level thinking about how much better it would have been with gear getaway.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think the best part about that video was one simple fact:
You decided the best way to present dk64 was to literally cut out 99.5% of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Did they muck about with the level size any? Everything in that mod just felt... small. It could just be the camera and lighting stuff I guess.

• Locked thread