Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gonna be funny when the GOP congress is shouted down by their own party because shutting the government down at Christmas would be gift wrapping the nom to Trump

Be even funnier when it doesn't work because the clowns are in control now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

Whoops
Hope CNN takes one for the team and just doesn't host him.

They'll ignore it and if he refuses to show up they'll put out an empty podium right in the middle for people to take shots at.

This is so obviously the one and only correct and sensible move for them to make that I'm legit interested to see what dumb thing they do instead

edit - wait hold on, the money would just go to Trump and he promises he'd donate it? Like if they donated to the group directly he would view it as an act of belligerence? I thought Trump just wanted to see them donate, not "hey give me $5 million to come to your future trainwreck of a debate"

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 2, 2015

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Serrath posted:

Not quite right, there was a popular belief posted in several studies that plan b (and other forms of oral contraceptive) can thin the uterine wall making it inhospitable to implantation by a blastocyte. This is intuitive; the hormones that these pills contain do have action on the endometrium of the uterus and the normal action of these hormones are to either prepare the uterus for implantation or to prepare to develop into a state where it can prepare for implantation. Recent research evidence has actually shown, though, that plan b (levonorgestrel EC) has no effect on the endometrium and even more recent research is suggesting that it also has no effect on the quality of cervical mucus or penetration of the spermatozoa in the uterine cavity (which is the other mechanism of action you described above.

The ONLY role that plan b has been demonstrated to have is to inhibit ovulation. The fact that it can prevent implantation or prevent fertilization have been historically proposed but these mechanisms of action have not been shown to be accurate. This also means that if Plan B is administered too close to ovulation, it is completely ineffective because, as I said, these other mechanisms of action do not take place. This is premised on very recent research, though, and you'll still find a lot of people (even doctors) repeating the belief that plan b prevents implantation or inhibits fertilization. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and the American FDA have both gone on record to state that plan B and OCPs are explicitly not abortifacients.

But what if I BELIEVE they cause abortions?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh hey, someone asked about these events overlapping?

A lot of confused reports coming out from Community North hospital in Indianapolis about someone with a gun and / or a shooter there

Haven't heard anything personally but will be following closely as I know a couple people who work in the ER there :\

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Don't worry; once universal conscription in enacted to fuel the Forever War, they'll likely drop the drinking age down to 18.

If Forever War is the standard, things will be so bad that heroin will be legal and available in bars

Then, of course, the gays win the culture war in the most extreme ways possible.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

The correct term is "bullet cubbies"

I prefer to keep my bullets in a clipazine cozy that I got off etsy. Keep your powder dry AND nice and toasty!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They need to zoom in on this poo poo so that people aren't coddled from what the true nature of what a shooting looks like.

edit - unless that body in the street is the cop, but the announcer guy claimed it originated from the suspect's car

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If these guys get taken in alive and un beaten to gently caress it's not because they're white, it's because of the cameras.

It's like how when cop killers flee into the woods, they never make it out alive.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

^ ^ ^ shooter, apparently ^ ^ ^

Windshield wipers only die when there's lots of snow so obviously they'll still be running

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

he ded

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Who's ready for this to result in a loosening of gun laws

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Phayray posted:

Looking forward to the right holding this up as "see, the police shoot white people too!"

They'll probably say almost nothing at all until an enormous reach like, "10 years ago the shooter dropped out of boy scouts, obviously he's an America-hating liberal" surfaces and then drill that hard

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What is this shredder they keep talking about

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lol

"Look people don't show up to this scene with loving guns"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

USPOL Dec: Basically just The Californians and dead people today

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Couple minutes until the official briefing for the press, calm down all y'all

Scott Forstall posted:

what livestream is everyone watching?

http://abc7.com/live/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This guy owns

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

thanks.

this current interview is surreal.

You picked a fantastic time to come in

Yeah yeah yeah. Yeah. No

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That man represents America. "Just a regular white dude committing terrorism, whatever, welcome to Wednesday"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The most disturbing thing are the exposed legs to me. I don't know when you're planning on these shootings if you decide it's a good day to wear shorts or is it possible he was shot so hard that he lost his pants. I've seen some war photos before and I think probably the latter

I've always just assumed that there's a lot of Californians who don't even own pants because neither their job or climate requires them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

karlor posted:

My stepmom's cousin got shot today in San Bernardino. She's out of surgery but not stable yet. I've never met her in person so I don't know much about her, but it's really weird knowing this happened to a family member. It really makes me wonder, considering the rate of mass shootings, how long it will be until a majority of Americans have some sort of personal connection (relative, friend, coworker) to a victim. I'm not in the mood to do the math.

The next few weeks are going to make you more angry than you can possibly imagine and potentially ruin some friendships once the crisis actor brigade comes out in full force.

Just, you know, be ready for this, and maybe warn your stepmom

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Aerox posted:

Enjoy this very large image of a dude going in on every Congressman/woman who tweeted "prayers" for San Bernardino by showing how much the NRA donated to their campaigns.

http://i.imgur.com/YLxbDHE.png

Wow stone loving cold

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also other shootings of course because America but this was the main one

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've got a part time job at a book store that I've just happened to be at every time news broke on the last few big shootings. When I think back on that job, I'm going to think about shelving books while reading updates on any number of mass shootings.

This is me irl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Watch those 3 people in the SUV were just meth cookers or something making a break for it and all 3 of the IRC shooters are out of the state by now

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This is going to make it less likely that they get their wish, not more likely

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Inglonias posted:

How can you have a negative chance of getting a desired outcome?

:negative:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Women are just as capable of being tremendous bigoted shitheads. Look at the Las Vegas shooting. It's unusual but not terribly surprising

They've got an apartment or something surrounded and believe the third gunman is holed up there

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

whoa

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

#PrayerShaming lmao

Was Daily News the one that ran a picture of the reporter being shot from the shooter's point of view?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Winkie01 posted:

Meanwhile in San Fransico today....

https://www.instagram.com/p/-z3eBvPopx/

holy poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

Hope you don't enjoy eating fresh produce.

Vegetables are for nerds, Iceland has a big gym culture so if you aren't pumping iron and eating whole reindeer then you're probably playing EvE in which case you're lost already

Edit - also you can admire cool volcanoes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pohl posted:

They were laughing and joking around during the last presser. It was pretty jarring. It is almost like they don't know the cameras are on them, and it is a horrible optic. The officer for public relations was laughing her rear end off as was the ATF agent, then when the presser started they all lined up and looked solemn. I'm wondering if they are going to be called out on this behavior over the next few days.

They shouldn't be, if they are

Most people there have either been in a high stress panic state all day and need to laugh or they'll snap, or are conditioned to this kind of thing and able to compartmentalize to a degree that tends to disturb people unaccustomed to being around sickness and death constantly

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dude shoots up a bunch of his coworkers and there's pretty much zero chance that it was anything else

If anything, a Muslim shooting up his place of work because of a grievance just shows that they're assimilating into American culture very well.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Litany Unheard posted:

I work in a DA's office. You see the worst of humanity day in and day out. So yeah, it gets easy to joke around with your coworkers with tragedy staring you in the face. You finish entering the case details of the two year old who got his head crushed by his drunk angry father and then you ask your coworker what they're bringin to the Christmas party next week.

It's similar to what you see with nurses or morticians or anyone else in a depressing line of work.

I know a bunch of nurses, EMTs, and paramedics who are just like this. You have to be

You compartmentalize it and then go the rest of your life with an increased chance of suicide. If you're a paramedic and especially if you're an EMT, you're also being criminally underpaid

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

So we install a giant space laser to blast immigrants wearing a crescent moon and star?

Or are we trying to target the Nerevar Reborn?

*sound of a laser being powered up*

"Wealth beyond measure..."

*sound of a giant laser being fired*

"Outlander"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Still too high. Childcare tax credit incentivizes parents to abandon their duties to their family, and rewards single parents.

You're right, stagnating wages and the massive gulf between the rich and poor causes that. Childcare assistance is just a band aid

I'm glad you agree swift action should be taken on the core issue

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anything involving using the no-fly list is tantamount to extra judicial banning of minorities from having weapons and rightly should be voted down.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

This is absolutely true, but it's funny that they spread the fear of terrorists yet don't believe in keeping anyone suspected of terrorism from even delaying the purchase of guns.

I don't have the link here at work apparently but imagine I posted the image breakdown from yesterday of the guy calling out all the senators sending their prayers with how much money they took from the NRA to do nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Radbot posted:

Why is people snapping for seemingly no reason somehow more comforting that religious extremism?

Because true acceptance of the former may lead to meaningful reform that improves the lives on millions, but the latter will result in xenophobic nativist pogroms

v v v yes v v v

• Locked thread