Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

If these shooters worked for ISIS, would this doom the Democrats election?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Luigi Thirty posted:

Remember when I said we were going to have pogroms within a decade and you all laughed?

Still laughing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This would seem to indicate that Trump does not have Tea Party support, since they are usually more well educated.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DeathSandwich posted:

I always figured the higher up in the totem pole of the Tea Party were more well educated and the more rank and file/screaming bloody rage members tended toward uneducated poor white people.

Nope, like the actual protesters are usually college educated.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theblackw0lf posted:

Tis the season of miracles.

Congress passes $305 billion infrastructure bill partly funded by taking money away from big banks

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Congress-Approves-Bill-Nations-Infrastructure-360545871.html

Wonder what made this happen?

quote:

But safety advocates won inclusion of a long-sought provision requiring rental car agencies to repair recalled cars and trucks before renting them.

Well, I'm glad that's a thing now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MariusLecter posted:

:colbert:

The media talking about how normal the family seemed with a new baby and all, makes me want to see Four Lions again.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if this attack more or less followed the pattern of that movie.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they made a movie about these events in a decade or so. It's happened before.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Riosan posted:

Are the media dipshits also paid crisis actors?

They're not actors, but otherwise this is unironically true.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torlo Hans posted:

Remember when someone said if this was linked to ISIS, the country would lose it's God damned mind? Well this is what it looks like when the country is losing its God damned mind.

So far, mostly the same except the media rifles through people's stuff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

That's what I'm wondering, if it's just propaganda that's been going on for a very long time. Though lack of hope doesn't really make sense in the San Bernadino shooting. They have a newborn baby, a steady job, etc. Alienation I can see, but it's not like you see any of the other immigrant groups that get poo poo on (Latino's especially) commiting mass shootings. Radicalization of second generation people with promising lives and educations is really bewildering.

Under the definitions of mass shootings iterated a few days ago (4+ people getting shot in one occurrence) I'm sure there's plenty of Hispanic shooters.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Honestly, I've wondered on several occasions why American terrorism is all about guns and fire and practically never about "stuff a bunch of gunpowder and nails in a pipe or pressure cooker". Lack of knowledge is probably a big factor, as is the mega-easy availability of guns and the untraceability of gasoline.

Successful terrorism is never about pipe bombs, but a few are defused every year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spacetoaster posted:

Wait, are you including McVeigh's bomb in the "radical christian" terrorism? Because dude was an atheist who hated the government.

He's ethnically Christian.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Greatbacon posted:

Can you link to any sources? I just did some cursory poking around and I can't find anything talking about it.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1665&dat=19900402&id=eu4eAAAAIBAJ&sjid=nSQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4338,393725&hl=en

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I can't tell you have many conservatives who I know have used government aid in the past I've heard base their entire political philosophy off of disdain for some anecdotal (likely bullshit) story about some lazy rear end in a top hat abusing the system. If this article can be believed that's not just a trend I noticed but the natural political evolution in lovely rural regions. If the government aid they received worked, pulling them out of poverty, they turn around and look at the people currently using it saying "I can't believe my tax dollars are paying for these lazy bums."

I don't really know how you got that from the article. What it's saying is that the meme here about poor rural people voting against their own interests is incorrect. Rather, it's that the only people voting are the already rich in the area. For your hypothesis to be correct you'd have to show that these rich people were actually brought out of poverty and directly benefited from social services (and obviously at some level they did but some levels are more of a reach than others).

quote:

So after accounting for misinformation, the death of American unions, and general dissatisfaction with politics leading to disengagement is there anyway for the dems to reclaim rural voters who depend on the government to live?

The side effect of continued urbanization is a disinterest in the rural vote. Even here, the general strategy is basically "wait until they die out".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

What? It's not talking about the rich, it's talking about the middle class, and he quoted a long anecdote showing exactly what you're asking for. Obviously, that's not the majority of republican voters, but it shows that the disdainful attitude is seen even among people who used the services at one point in their life.

Well, rich is a bit of a stretch, but that doesn't change my underlying point - the people actually on food stamps aren't voting Republican. They're not voting against their best interests.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but isn't there "due process" in the sense that what it takes for you to get placed on a "no fly list" in the first place?

There's due process in the "Stop & Frisk" sense.

Literally The Worst posted:

man i sure hope nobody in this thread already talked about how the list's existence is some bullshit for that exact reason, that'd just make you look like an rear end in a top hat who prefers to preach than actually talk about things

I mean, even with that it's still troubling that Bernie is supporting keeping the list in existence.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's specifically a 3 point swing for all minority demographics and it's really dumb to think why they would swing towards the GOP.

Actually it's not even a 3 point swing for minority demographics, it's assuming that literally everyone swings 3 extra points for no reason.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

stinkles1112 posted:

Nobody is defending the existence of the no-fly list. But it's a fine metric to use for additional scrutiny in gun purchases, because anything is, because we should restrict gun rights generally.

If you think it's a fine metric to use, you're by definition justifying its existence.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

euphronius posted:

Perhaps he will have Indian food instead.

Which in the UK is called Asian food.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

stinkles1112 posted:

Gun owners are a "tribe" much the same way that people who drive Buicks are a "tribe"

So yeah, they're a social group that people notice and judge differently based on inclusion or exclusion to that group.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pathetic little tramp posted:

Which countries? North Korea? Saudi Arabia?

China does it in theory (they say you have to register with the local police for whatever city you're in) but in practice no one cares.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hulk Krogan posted:

People aren't worried about the ban actually happening so much as they are worried about the mobs of scared, angry white people being told that it's perfectly okay to bathe uninhibited in their bigotry and hatred against a minority group, and that their Muslim neighbors are an existential threat.

Neighbors is a bit of a stretch considering the housing practices of the modern American city.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Liberal has been supplanted by "politically correct." Now you don't have to even be a liberal to be hated and it provides all kinds of neat cover for political bullshitery you could never get away with before.

You're like 15 years late on that one. Politically correct is now SJW.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Maybe online, but your typical 'fire up the computer and start The Google' Uncle from Butte or Tuscon is keen on using 'PC.'

And they've been doing so for 15 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Moktaro posted:

Seriously, if you don't think Daesh is watching this and doing all the moves you're just not thinking this through.

I severely doubt they're watching anything American other than the planes overhead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CalmDownMate posted:

Then he's an idiot setting his party up for failure three times in a row and damning it to total destruction.

That's how the modern GOP works. FYGM in a national context. It's inertia that has allowed them to continue on that path for so long.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Look at the history of liberal prognostications about the demise/fracturing of the Republican party.

Then again, Reagan/Bush kind of wiped out the Democratic Party of the 1970s and earlier.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

It could happen sure, but it's useless to try to predict. Liberals have been predicting that the latest GOP atrocity is at last the ne plus ultra, that this is as far as the American public can stomach and finally the Republicans have woven the rope they will hang themselves with. Yet here they are. Again, a party that controls as many offices and legislative bodies as the GOP is not a party in crisis.

So would you say in 2008 they actually were in crisis? Since present conditions are the only measure of that, apparently.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If there's a candidate that will make GOP voters stay home, it's Donald Trump. I've not heard any enthusiasm for him whatsoever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

We live in a country where a police officer could raise a million dollars in a day for executing an unarmed black kids, the old conventional wisdom about donor bases and fundraising are obsolete.

Did that money come from a SuperPAC?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CalmDownMate posted:

Lol why yes justice kennedy is the godfather of progressivism as opposed to say FDR, Wilson, or Teddy.

loving LOL. I can count on my hand the number of progressive politicians there have been in the last 30 years.

Ted Kennedy, architect of No Child Left Behind.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The primary issue is non-Presidential elections (I'd say midterm but you get those weird ones like Virginia's gubernatorial election). The primary difference between Presidential & non-Presidential elections is turnout. The specific demographic difference in turnout is youth. Not income, not race (controlling for age, anyway), but youth.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Yeah I remember Texas was expecting like 2 seats and got 4 instead. A side effect of people moving South plus the relatively fertile immigrant population.

I think I remember seeing that black people are heading back south en mass too because there's better work opportunities and they have familial connections to support them too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Solar's actually come an incredibly long way in the last decade (in large part because governments and corporations started investing legitimate amounts of money in it), to the point where it's actually getting reasonably competitive with more 'traditional' sources.

It's not a perfect replacement for an ideally modern nuclear system (nothing really is, but try getting people on board with that) but it's profoundly better than any of the alternatives that politicians will consider and it really isn't the "lol, solar" financial mistake that people would paint it as.

Comparing the solar tech on the market in 2015 to what was available even in 2008 is like comparing the livability and performance of a Tesla P90D to a GeeWiz and it's really unfortunate that public perception hasn't caught up with the advances (and that there are tons of interests vested in keeping it where it is).

It's not going to change the fact that Germany gets about as much solar exposure as Seattle.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
No Fly List should be public if it's not already.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

euphronius posted:

Is 60 rep senators impossible?

Here's the map via Wikipedia:

dark color = incumbent (both sides), light color = retiring incumbent (both sides)

The only Dem senators that are really vulnerable (like in a "Trump does a landslide" sort of scenario) are Colorado and maybe Nevada.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thump! posted:

The distance between Robert Dear's home in Hartsel, Colorado and Colorado Springs is 64 miles.

These sorts of racist, murderous shitfucks should not be given a public list of US citizens that have been accused of terror ties without due process.

Maybe the issue is the lack of due process, and not the publicity of the list.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlitchThief posted:

There's a lot of problems with the list, but I don't see how making it public would do anything but make it worse.

It would make it harder to justify the list's existence.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlitchThief posted:

It's already unjustifiable.

Apparently not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlitchThief posted:

How do you feel the list is justified?

Our sitting President is attempting to use it as a tool for policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

I don't get it.

Someone explain it to me .

Explain as you would to a child.

Lots of Dem seats up for re-election and it's a midterm.

• Locked thread