Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

Police are looking for 3 white males in military gear. Per fox11 los angeles

"Early news reports are almost uniformly wrong" disclaimer applies

"Are looking for", what the hell? These guys got away clean?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

It's unrelated but this Black Friday may have been the biggest day for gun sales ever based on FBI background check requests.

[quote="zoux" post="453394853"]
It's unrelated but this Black Friday may have been the biggest day for gun sales ever based on FBI background check requests.

What the hell was going on from the 19-22nd of December in 2012? Sandy Hook.

And March 2014 is Russia seizing Crimea. Of course, that's a sensible response.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A Winner is Jew posted:

Gun owners are sensible? :v:

I'd like to see that list of days for the first 100 entries or so. I wonder how many would be just the one or two days after a tragedy.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Heard a report earlier that they released a statement basically saying "Wasn't us but good job guy!"

More specifically they congratulated the "three lions" involved in the attack, when the manhunt was still ongoing and law enforcement had announced they thought there were three suspects.

They didn't know poo poo about this or they would have known it was only two people (and they definitely wouldn't have accorded a woman "lion" status in any case).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Are you really not seeing the difference between that case and walking in a school full of 4 year old's and opening fire? really?

I'm not sure where I stand on this argument myself, but I will say that the only difference I see is in degree of justification, if any exists. If neither act is justified, how can we say one shooter is more mentally ill than another? Or whether mental illness was a requirement for an unjustified act to take place?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Aerox posted:

Carly Fiorina has commented on why we don't need to worry about people already on terrorist watchlists buying guns.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/carly-fiorina-terror-watchlist-guns_56604c39e4b079b2818d5214

Arrest all watched people for thoughtcrimes, got it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

No clue, it'd be great for goon confirmation as I do not know Italian papers so it very well may be a satirical site.

No, it's a legit paper.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hollismason posted:

How long before Trump suggests lebensraum? Seriously.

If Mexico were only a Muslim-majority nation, we'd already have been there and back by this time.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah but this post you just made will be found and you'll be in the same camps as the rest of us I'm afraid

Plus his name is two letters away from "mullah", better safe than sorry IMO.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

THE BOMBINATRIX posted:

Who?

And that statement is just about as puriile as what Trump said.

He's bald as a cue ball, oddly tattooed, big and tall and scraggly beard, mayor of a poo poo town with probably a 50% poverty rate, and he's attained something of a very small cult of personality because he says exactly what he thinks and acts like about the farthest thing possible from a politician, and he's actually remarkably not a complete idiot. Sort of a local Robin Hood figure.

Google a picture of him and see if you think he looks like a guy with an MA from Harvard in public policy.

Edit: holy poo poo, he's running for Toomey's Senate seat. loving spectacular.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 8, 2015

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nonsense posted:

Senate candidate from Pennsylvania who I am unsure has been polled yet? :shrug:

I didn't realize he was challenging McGinty for the Democratic nomination. John Fetterman in the U.S. Senate! Guy looks like nothing so much as a bouncer at a biker bar and refuses to wear anything but a black T-shirt. It's like the entire geographic region of SW Pennsylvania somehow gained human form.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

That also describes Model UN.

Also the Amish. And Exxon/Mobil.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The Trail of Tears sounds bad, but you can't pass judgement without having lived there.

I wish somebody would ask Trump about this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Solar's actually come an incredibly long way in the last decade (in large part because governments and corporations started investing legitimate amounts of money in it), to the point where it's actually getting reasonably competitive with more 'traditional' sources.

It's not a perfect replacement for an ideally modern nuclear system (nothing really is, but try getting people on board with that) but it's profoundly better than any of the alternatives that politicians will consider and it really isn't the "lol, solar" financial mistake that people would paint it as.

Comparing the solar tech on the market in 2015 to what was available even in 2008 is like comparing the livability and performance of a Tesla P90D to a GeeWiz and it's really unfortunate that public perception hasn't caught up with the advances (and that there are tons of interests vested in keeping it where it is).

Does it seem that the technology will continue to make advances in the short term, or have we reached another sort of efficiency plateau for the time being? The evolution of solar's feasibility has been interesting to me, but I don't know where to get good information on it because as you say, there are interested parties suppressing the spread of that information.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Something oddly hypnotizing about the various elements of motion here. I think I actually watched it for a full minute.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hulk Krogan posted:

I hear Ben Franklin's argument about how the turkey would have been a better choice for national bird, but watching that gif, I think we made the right call.

The bald eagle is a predator that rarely attacks dangerous or large prey, has a weak mating call, and eats mostly dead things and things it can steal from other predators. Yep, sounds about right.

Also, Ben Franklin never argued for the turkey. It is true that he didn't like the bald eagle though:

"For my own part. I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen the representative of our country. He is a bird of bad moral character. He does not get his living honestly ... besides he is a rank coward: The little king bird not bigger than a sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the district."

Talmonis posted:

I'm starting to think Martin Shkreli is a trial balloon for the mega-rich, to see just how far they can push before someone takes them out in the modern age.

In that case they've chosen a confounding sample: his face is just naturally quite punchable, which might skew their results.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kurieg posted:

Apparently shrikelli could release it for free, or play it at promotional events, but that's incredibly unlikely to happen. Apparently he's currently streaming himself sitting around because of the possibility that he might play it at some point.

But...

If that's real, it made my day. Imagining Method Man trying to pick Shkreli's deadbolt without letting go of his blunt.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My hatred for Scalia is pretty well-documented around here, I guess -- but I think it's kind of remarkable how I wind up hating him more every single time he opens his mouth. There must be something he's said in an opinion, or during oral argument, that doesn't make me want to squish his face with bolt-cutters, but damned if I've ever been able to find anything.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

Jesus Christ can you imagine the kinds of people Trump would appoint to the SCOTUS.

I'm having trouble thinking of how anyone could be worse than Scalia.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

eviltastic posted:

Fivethirtyeight has been funny lately.

Suckabee? Huctorum? Santabee?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hahahaha Shkreli just got arrested on securities fraud.

Edit: I should have known you guys were on top of this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mitt Romney posted:

$4b was actually a huge discount for the IP. Lucas thought it would be in better hands at Disney. It's thought of as easy money for Disney.

For some reason I had thought it was $10B, which would still have been a bargain. Disney will make that money back ten-fold within the decade, especially after the new Star Wars areas open up at the parks.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shageletic posted:

Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years by Diarmond MacCulloch for a mild sense of befuddlement at current Christian practices, for the mildest dip.

Anytime someone mentions this book in any context I'm forced to post my enthusiastic agreement. So, you know...here it is.

(Best history of Christianity ever written at any size, and easily the best single-volume book on any religion.)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

Quote of the nobody cares, “I always want to help my country where I can, but you don’t want to embark on a suicide mission. I’m not ready for a third-party run until we have a complete collapse of the Republican Party that I can still believe in.” ~ Jon Huntsman.

*Arkane sighs and walks away*

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

If he were carpet bombing Raqqa, we wouldn't be having this debate.

The very sort of thing small nuclear warheads were meant to do, right?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

A CNN security guard's Iraq vet son was having a breakdown at home and had a gun. He rushed home and attempted to de-escalate the situation, and witnesses say he got him to put the gun on the hood of a car.

Then cops showed up and shot him and have 50 different stories about what happened.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/hero-security-guard-diffuses-hostage-situation-only-to-be-fatally-shot-by-late-arriving-cops/

Merry Christmas. gently caress everything.

Here's a fun game! See if you can guess, from this simple outline of the story, what was the race of this young man?

:negative:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

McDowell posted:

The Kochs and others want to trick people into thinking dominance through money is the same as communal and reciprocal social relations.

Reifying relations between people into relations between things. That's one of the Marxist proverbs that has stuck with me most successfully, because you see it everywhere.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DemeaninDemon posted:

Way to spread holiday cheer you fucks.

Thread title.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

Wouldn't be a very good plan, since Congress is only allowed one reconciliation bill a year.

Seems at least order-of-magnitude consistent with their current success rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh, thank God. Maybe now we can finally leave this whole stupid scandal behind us and get back to important things, like who killed Ben Ghazi and why.

I'm sure the Michael Bay movie on Benghazi won't be a thing at all next summer, no not at all.

• Locked thread