Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

I did not have the stomach to click through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Gave me flashbacks

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If bailouts are outlawed, only outlaws will get bailouts.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Radbot posted:

Wasn't there some crazy CSA dude who became White God Emperor of a central American country for awhile?

William Walker in Nicaragua, but that preceded the CSA.

(As did the Knights of the Golden Circle.)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Unzip and Attack posted:

Had a lecturer (Eric Foner)at my University a couple years back tell that same story about Lincoln and the duel, except that he said he chose wood axes. Either way it's still next level poo poo.

Jacobin has a lovely rep on these forums but they published a fantastic interview with Foner in their Civil War + Reconstruction issue.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
There should be a separate mass shootings thread because they will never affect politics and happen all the loving time.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

JT Jag posted:

Female suspect confirmed.

drat there goes the libertarian theory.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Drunken ISIS Fisticuffs Leads to Gun Massacre

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
fishmech is correct about bombs. Weatherman, the PIRA, UDA, UVF, etc all had spectacular own goals with bombs in the latter half of the twentieth century.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Ralepozozaxe posted:

That title reads like an onion article.

Lol, adding screenshot in case they change the headline ~

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
O'Malley is working hard for the fishmech vote.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Andy Griffith was a diehard Democrat and I believe he endorsed Obama during the 2008 primaries.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm going to launch a campaign of negative Yelp reviews against ISIS.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Financial markets behaving rationally, unfortunately.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Tomorrow's Daily News

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Trump should call his inevitable post-election politics show Hour of Power.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

On Terra Firma posted:

Does anyone actually read it? I had never heard of it until images of the prayer cover made the rounds last week.

Yes, it's the morning subway read for lots and lots of people here.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Joementum posted:

Well, as a result of his statement, Trump has been endorsed by just about every white nationalist on the scene today. Polls are showing that two thirds to three quarters of his supporters think Islam should be illegal.

Naturally, none of his Republican opponents have ruled out voting for him if he's the nominee.

Gotta love Trump's hate!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

JT Jag posted:

International Relations professors are invariably liberal, yeah

This varies a lot by university. There's plenty that think of themselves as hard-nosed Kennan-types and some are even neoconservatives.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
An election decided by the current House of Representatives would be even worse than a sweeping Trump victory at the polls.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

fishmech posted:

It would most significantly diminish voting power in rural areas that have population jumped up by having prisons though. Having 40,000 people locked up in your county's borders can and does lead to districts being drawable with far more rural voters, on the strength of having locked up a bunch of people who can't vote.

It's rather like counting slaves towards redistricting.

If only some Compromise could be reached.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Here's an in-depth essay on Cesar Chavez's different legacies as both a Civil Rights leader and a labor leader, and how posterity has more or less remembered him strictly as a civil rights figure.

I think there's a lot to the idea that people don't have any narrative attached to labor struggle where they do for Civil Rights (through the personages of King, Malcolm X, Chavez) and they do for entrepreneurship (people fapping to Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg, etc.).

In my view, the long term strategy for working class organizing has to start with electable Dems who will maintain a more liberal NLRB, and an introduction of labor struggle into the public consciousness, some better way to propagandize. And I think a healthy dose of denigrating robber barons like Jobs could help undermine the worship of business leaders.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
CT governor Malloy provoking gunchat, noflychat, and dueprocesschat, and states rightschat.

(On a related note, I'll return to DnD tomorrow.)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
2016 is the Year of Tough Talk™

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Martin al-Malley is picking up al-mentum.

[edited for thumb tags]

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Buzzfeed has an article about MIGF Mickey Kaus, centrist-Dem-turned-Trump-partisan.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Real story here is that O'Mentum doubled his support.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Remember the story of the woman in Detroit who whipped out her pistol and shot at a shoplifter's car in the parking lot as it drove away? She just got sentenced to 18 months probation. The lesson she took away from this was "never help anybody." She will not be able to concealed carry until 2023.

Who will be the first to feature her in a campaign ad?

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 14, 2015

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

fknlo posted:

Seattle will allow Uber and Lyft drivers to unionize

Hot takes: :qq: BUT MY PRICES WILL GO UP :qq: , they can just get another job if they don't like it :qq: , it's not supposed to be a full time job anyway :qq: , :qq: I MIGHT HAVE TO PAY MORE :qq:

The bill introduced by that terrible looking guy in Missouri seems to be getting a lot of support on social media. It basically boils down to "those uppity college athletes are getting a free education from benevolent university and should really know their place."

Also, the bad people at the latest Trump thing were totally plants guys.

Jamil Smith at the New Republic Tweeted that he's currently working on an article about that Missouri bill, I'd keep my eye out for that.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cute!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cruz gets nuttin' for Christmas.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Joementum posted:

Here's Newt Gingrich wearing VR goggles in front of a giant picture Yoda.

That's no moonbase...

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

article. Sorry it's Buzzfeed.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I totally forgot that young women are not a critical electoral bloc for the Democratic Party and that they are uniformly against Hillary Clinton.

(ETA: re: all of Hillary's supporters are old.)

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 18, 2015

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

"The Cruzade," jesus christ.

Swan Oat posted:

We must arm the moderate opposition, led by Prince Ali, against the dictator Jafar.

No, as Ted Cruz insists, we must Magic Carpetbomb Jafar.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Epic High Five posted:

Maybe we'll get Constantinople back this time at least

That happened in 1952.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah god why can't these idiots understand that class is the only real issue instead of wasting their time on bourgeois ideologies like feminism and antiracism

This is such whiny, tumblr-twitter bullshit. If you don't recognize that the left-liberal party with majoritarian aspirations has to do a better job appealing to poor white people, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah because that's what he was saying.

Turning around and making GBS threads on people every time they mention class issues by saying "you're abandoning feminism and antiracism!" is retarded and counterproductive, and is exactly what you did.

• Locked thread