Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Enter: Barack Obama, circa 2013:

Scene change: 2015, Obama's words holding steadfa--

It's not boots on ground, it's foot apparel temporarily occupying space on surfaces, Obama told me so!

So you're saying Obama is a liar because he sent ground forces to Iraq two years after he said he wouldn't send them to Syria. Does this mean you've accepted the legitimacy of the Islamic State?

I guess if you like your caliphate, you can keep your caliphate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

REGULAR WHITE DUDE.

Conservatives blame fiber.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Black Baby Goku posted:

Are you guys hoping this isn't ISIS because that would mean a Trump presidency?

I'm mostly worried about Islamophobia reaching a fever pitch in general. A Trump presidency is just one aspect of that.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

You don't have to be a muslim, you know. If you don't like what others are doing in the name of your religion, change your religion like all the ex-mormon and ex-baptists in America.

Leaving a religious organization or denomination isn't the same as leaving a religion. I know you're thick on purpose but come on, it's not like people leaving their Baptist churches suddenly aren't Christians.

edit: even though other Baptists may say so.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 3, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Reddit - Guns, Gold

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

JT Jag posted:

I don't go out of my way to say this about a lot of people, but the world would actually be better off if Martin Shkreli died. He is a literal blight on our species.

Well, on the upside, instead of having to explain why you think unfettered capitalism is a bad thing overall, you can just point.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The Honorable Steve Stivers
United States House of Representatives

Dear Mr. Stivers,

The system promoted by you and your party is allowing a cartoon villain to grossly enrich himself at the expense of the poor and the sick. I am sure that you are equally as horrified by this revelation as I am, so I implore you to immediately smash the state and impose full communism.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Radbot posted:

Because people in the South love their history and wish slavery still existed.

Pretty much this. Imagine if Europe was full of people who cosplayed as Nazis and claimed that Jews were happier during the Holocaust.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

radical meme posted:

Yeah, I suppose if there were a total unwillingness to face your horrible past then the only alternative is to tear that poo poo down. But, I'd prefer to see acknowledgment of past transgressions over destruction of monuments.

Many, if not most, of the monuments in question were erected well after the fact. We're not talking about preserving history, we're talking about perpetuating a myth that these monuments were erected to create and maintain.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Gail Wynand posted:

[19 year old Bernout]

Every single sentence of that is a new thread title.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

:smith: I'm actually sad about this, but I guess Rand Paul's :effort: campaign isn't worth trolling anymore. I was hoping to see Kasich drop out first, though.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

I hope he campaigns this badly when he tries to take Sherrod Brown's Senate seat in 2018.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

Let's be fair here. It was kinda clear early on that 2014 was unlikely to be a banner year, and a lot of benches got hit pretty hard in 2010. So it's not like these state-level Democratic parties had a lot of choices. The "good" candidates are generally smart enough to sit out being a challenger in tough elections - notice how nobody except Bernie Sanders (who probably can't run in 2020/2024), Tommy Carcetti, and a pair of basically-Republicans challenged Hillary for the nomination? That's because the Democratic Governors/Senators who are left realized they couldn't beat Hillary (or that there's no room in a field to be more moderate than Hillary or more liberal than Bernie and precious little daylight between them) and so didn't run. You've got the same problem here - if I'm a popular mayor or a state senator or something, I'm keeping my head down in 2014, rolling the dice that things look better in 2018 or whatever.

Nothing about this changes the fact that the Ohio Democratic Party is absolute poo poo. On the other hand, former governor Ted Strickland's entire term consisted of appeasement to Republicans on the hope of getting reelected in 2010 so :lol: the joke's on him.
And us. :smith:

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 29, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Radish posted:

Yup that's him. You'd think after getting away with vehicular manslaughter and drunk driving he'd be counting his blessings and trying to run under the radar but I guess affluenza is real and he is incapable of stopping himself..

His mom was arrested with him so I guess the apple didn't fall very far from the tree. I can't even begin to imagine the level of bad upbringing that spawned this chain of events, or maybe I can and I just don't want to.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

radical meme posted:

I stand by that assessment and will until they do something productive.

Hi. I'm a Unitarian Universalist. My denomination has really gotten behind this whole Black Lives Matter thing, but gosh, maybe it's just a waste of time.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 30, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Two Unitarians on one page! Wowzers, ain't that a small world.

Truly, it seems that the rest of the white people in this country are truly vile and reactionary people. All it takes is one relative to be a cop, and they go full mouthbreather on me.

Dollars to donuts, it's because they think we're some black church or something. The amount of people who actually know who we are and what we do are close to nil.

:hf:

I haven't checked, but I think it's more vandalism than our congregations got for being pro-LGBT rights, though I suppose the latter tends to include more property damage than just a banner. Sometimes I'm kind of glad not many people know who we are and what we do, at least after the Knoxville right wing domestic terrorist attack lone wolf deranged shooter.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Bullfrog posted:

Where did you find these images? I want to share this with some people.

For that post I just did a GIS for unitarian vandalism (which should in theory also catch photos of vandalism by unitarians), but I was aware of them from following the Unitarian Universalist Association and Standing on the Side of Love facebook pages (mostly the latter). I think most of the photos themselves were on local news sites where the vandalism occurred.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 30, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Assuming the worst of people and dismissing them as "the enemy" automatically is not fair or productive.

Especially when the discussion spreads primarily through social networking services that have demographic biases. A lot of people, especially (but not exclusively) older people, just haven't gotten the memo yet when something has acquired an additional meaning that they certainly would not intend.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Radbot posted:

I'm sorry, but the kind of person that would vandalize a church over rhetorical confusion is, to me, just as dangerous as someone doing it explicitly for racial spite.

Uh, I'm pretty sure we were talking about we'll-intentioned people who don't understand why "all lives matter" is problematic, not people who commit acts of vandalism over it. Conflating the two is part of the problem.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

FourLeaf posted:

What you need to do here is put up an additional sign saying "Every time you deface this sign we donate X amount to the local NAACP. Carry on!" or something like that

(since BLM is so decentralized it's hard to find a good way to directly donate to them)

I figure every time one of these incidents gets in the local news, or people drive by and see it, "all lives matter" gets more negative associations in the minds of at least some of the people who are otherwise confused about why it's not a good response to "black lives matter." It's not much, but if people start avoiding it because it's associated in their mind with assholes who vandalize churches, that's probably an overall positive.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Probably nothing bigger than local stuff

If you happen to live in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, the county prosecutor is an elected position, and I suspect the current one is rather unpopular with at least some of the residents. Just a thought.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Joementum posted:

Only 27 more hours in 2015 to get in your hot take on the problems with BLM!

The problem with Black Lives Matter is that they're not going out of their way to tell white people that their lives matter, too, and white people need to be told this all the time, because they always have been, and if people stop doing it then maybe it's not true anymore. Whoops, that's actually a problem with white people, isn't it?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

mcclay posted:

Hey, thats my church.
O-Oh
Thanks Reddit.

3rd UU in the thread, somebody get a coffee pot going. :hf:

Ron Jeremy posted:

I tried going to a UU church as an adult. My wife and I attended and I think we were the only ones there under the age of 70. The focus of the discussion was dealing with grief and accepting impending death.

They had great childcare though.

It varies a bit by congregation but yeah, I guess if you want to hang out with old white people who aren't hateful assholes, or at least confirm their existence, a UU church is a good place to start. The congregations with higher percentages of pagans and deists/pantheists tend to be a little more fun.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/crime/2015/12/21/old-man-wanted-more-than-money-branson-bank-robbery/76070266/

A 77 year old with severe health problems that was living in squalor and rejected by a VA hospital in Missouri woke up and robbed a bank and turned himself in so he could go to prison and get healthcare.

The joke will be on him when he winds up in worse squalor in some private prison shithole.

:smith:

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I've heard of Unitarianism but never looked too deeply into it. It sounds like all the positive aspects of liberal religious traditions (community, charity, social justice, etc.) with none of the judgmental or supernatural bullshit.

Which is why Texas tried to strip them of their tax exempt status a while back (and failed, thankfully).

The supernatural bullshit is optional, but you get to pick your own if you want it. So you have a fair number of atheist UUs, but also pagan UUs, vaguely pan(en)theist UUs like me, a smattering of Christian/Jewish/Islamic UUs, and a bunch of miscellaneous. It also varies heavily by congregation. The one closest to me is very strongly atheist/humanist, which I have nothing against but find a little boring, so I drive a little out of town to the one that has more pagans, deists, lapsed methodists, and cool atheists who are a little more chill about the rest of us having our weird superstitious nonsense.

It's definitely great if you have kids and want to help inoculate them against religious conversion attempts and other nasty bullshit they can run into, plus there's a comprehensive, LGBTQ-positive sexuality curriculum for Sunday school.

/churchchat

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

That the vilerat movie is not actually about the people who died but quasi-fictional American soldiers* who didn't do anything is pretty fitting.

If it doesn't feature any eve online footage i'm only giving it one star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Someone said they changed it to wow

This only with Michael Bay driving

• Locked thread