Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Everyone who went into that apartment needs to be put in jail for tampering with an investigation. Every cameraman, every producer, every "journalist". Everyone.

I hope they get no lenience and must serve the full sentence.

Working for a company that produces News does not give you the right to break the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Why? What law was broken? What did they tamper with? The FBI had finished with the crime scene and turned the landlord's property back over to him.

That could be a thing, but it isn't the FBI locking him up for some huge violation.

They walked into someone's house, which they had no right to enter, then started rummaging through their things. Possibly removing some of them.

Man, if only there was a crime that described that sort of action.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Antti posted:

Yeah, dynamite was just the first example I could think of - basically, buying explosives (or materials that can be trivially turned into an explosive).

But I would not have been terribly surprised to hear the answer as "yes."

You can't buy explosives easily in the USA, except maybe black powder.

But with internet access and about 10 minutes you can figure out how to build one and order the materials.

The Oklahoma City bomb was basically diesel fuel and fertilizer.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I honestly want the news crew to face jail time for this. Make an example out of them to the rest of the loving jackal media shitheads.

Holding the Media accountable for crimes they commit would have a chilling effect on Freedom of the Press.

Our benevolent Journalist overlords are not answerable to your Courts. They can only by judged by Ratings.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why is Bill Kristol sad? As much as I hate sounding blatantly partisan, Trump and his ramblings are the end result of his party's fomenting white, christian insecurity.

gently caress you now and forever Bill Kristol you monstrous piece of poo poo. I can't even get mad Trump, he eats this poo poo up, Kristol however is a different beast altogether.

Trump managed to destabilize and shakeup the Republican political establishment so much that he made Bill Kristol right about something.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Greatbacon posted:

I had a discussion with a coworker and my boss today after lunch about the courts and how difficult it would be to be a judge, and somehow it got twisted into 2nd amendment chat.

I proceeded to have the triple joy experience of ending up on the opposite (liberal) side of the conversation alone, hearing my coworker advocate that Joe Shmoe and his friends should have access to military grade hardware (all the way up to aircraft carriers), and then having him admit that he is literally afraid for his life waiting for the bus outside our office because he doesn't have a gun strapped to his side. :wtc: I know discussing politics at work is usually a bad idea, but the conversation shifted so quickly I didn't have time to get out of it.

Pray for my liver thread.

I had to listen to a 6' 6" ~250-300 lbs boss at work talk about how he didn't feel safe walking around the streets of our upscale Minneapolis suburban (Edina) office with out a gun because of "immigrant gangs" in the area.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I am not a book posted:

Even Outstate thinks Edina is poo poo.

It is a lovely place, but Cake Eater lovely.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

When you hear "there aren't enough programmers" from a tech company add "that want to work for $50k" to it.

It's not just wages, the H1-B program essentially ties you to your employer for ten years until you get a green card and there are a thousand ways they can gently caress with you and reset the green card timer.

This is really regional.

We were trying to hire Java coders for 75k/yr for 0-5 years of experience in Minneapolis and couldn't find people. We were only able to hire 2 of 10 positions so they hired a senior person and started training some BAs to code.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'd like to think a super neglected IT department will burn companies in the long run like a cancer, but shareholders and upper management really don't give a poo poo.

Oh it does.

Our company neglects IT whenever possible. Which is why 1/2 of the people do drat near no work and get away with it. Management doesn't want to deal with IT so with no real oversight it just becomes a super inefficient bureaucracy.

Eventually a technologically competent competitor will enter the industry and put the old players out of business. Pretty much like what Amazon did to Sears and the rest of retail.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

zoux posted:

Sears got taken over by a hard core Randian who pit individual divisions against each other in a battle for resources.

Sears is a depressing story when you realize they could have been what Amazon is today.

They already had so much of what they needed to succeed when the internet took off.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

zoux posted:

I'm more talking about their lower paid warehouse workers than their bamboozled technical staff who think that being exploited and working free overtime is being a good team player.

I took that NYT piece with a grain of salt. I've known people who worked at Amazon IT and had dramatically different experiences.

But that is the way big companies are. I worked at a company that most people said was one of the best in the world to work far. Even other people on the project loved it. But I got saddled with a manager who was a grade-a sociopath and liked to scream, yell and intimidate people. I was forced to work asinine hours, was routinely insulted, screamed at and forced to work holidays or weekends for no reason. He was physically aggressive pounding tables and putting his finger right up in your face while yelling at you. For fun that manager was also the guy who didn't feel safe walking around Edina with out a gun.

Meanwhile other teams on the project were cruising to an easy 35 hour work week and tons of fringe benefits.

It was pretty blatantly a hit piece due to the ongoing Publisher/Amazon feud. The NYT article boiled down to "Some of the bosses at Amazon are assholes". Yeah, I'm sure most of them are. I'm also sure most of the bosses at any company are assholes.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah I know and that people defend that shows how hosed up our business culture is.

That was intended to point out that big companies can't have a single uniform culture, despite how much they claim to. You can't get 10,000+ employees to all have the exact same treatment and experiences.

Which is why I lead with friends who had worked there and had a pretty good experience.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

computer parts posted:

You can sure as poo poo reduce the variability in experience though.

To an extent.

But all it takes is one rear end in a top hat in a managerial position to make some people miserable. Minimizing the number of assholes reduces the chances and decreases the severity, but you can't hit 0.

I've had plenty of experiences where one group at a company was great to work for but the next one over was miserable.

The saying "People quit their boss, not their job" has a ton of truth to it.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Amergin posted:

They won't be painted as racists because of depriving foreigners of job opportunities, they'll be painted as racists because 95% of IT workers are loving coddled white men who are constantly angry because of their job situation and terrible loving management.

At least from my personal experience IT at most places is at least 50% South Asian these days.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Amergin posted:

Health insurance and oil & gas.

Health insurance had one black guy for a team of 25 for infrastructure maintenance (all others were WASPy guys). The team I'm in now has three women, two of whom are Asian, out of 15 (the rest of whom are WASPy guys).

I mean sure it's not 100% white but I give my team lead poo poo all the time when a spot opens up and the only folks in interviews are white dudes who look like Michelin man cosplayers. I told him one time to at least give a token interview to a Jamaal and he laughed and fidgeted nervously.

My current team has about 25 people.

Of the 25 about 20 of them are Indian with a 50/50 gender split. 3 of them are white men then there is a white women and two black men. My manager and his manager are both Indian.

I'm sorry to hear that your workplace has some problems with racism, but that does not represent the industry as a whole.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Radbot posted:

Depends on if you include development resources or not. The companies I work for traditionally consider dev an IT resource, though that's an old school view.

I work in a deeply unsexy industry which is probably why I don't have legions of brogrammers in IT, more like a bunch of middle aged Indian dudes.

The age and race demographics in unsexy industry IT would surprise most people.

I'm 32 years old and I'm the youngest on the team. On my last team I was the youngest by 12 years.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

IT, especially startup IT that bills itself as "disruptive", tends to poo poo on what they see as overbearing government regulation when it gets in the way of their cool new product. See Lyft, Uber, and Airbnb for classic examples of this.

You really need to get out of the head space where you think Silicon Valley represents all tech workers.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

shrike82 posted:

startup land probably makes up less than 1% of the IT industry by headcount

But 99% of all publicity.

Because Bob the DBA tuning a query on a Point of Sale system to run 5% faster doesn't generate 50 blog posts about disruption and innovation.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

shrike82 posted:

tbh, i've preferred working in a family business than working for a large corporate.
you guys seem to be trafficking in stereotypes - do black people typically tip less as well?

No one in this thread would ever be so uncultured as to stereotype. Only those dirty others do that.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes.

In Blaine, Minnesota, a high school's winter choir concert is going to include a Ramadan song in Arabic. The concert also includes Christian hymns, Jewish songs, and a rousing chorus of Hallelujah. Singing such an Islamic song would be "insensitive" or "promoting a religion of hatred" depending on who you ask and so it has been made optional if a student is uncomfortable. People are still mega-pissed though.

That is in Good Ol' Michele Bachmans old district.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota%27s_6th_congressional_district

People need to read the fuckin' comments on the WCCO webpage. They are amazing.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nonsense posted:

She doesn't need to do anything actually, unless of course the story expands, but I assume they know what data was taken as they mentioned what the amount of searches made. Let the DNC and Bernie hash it out.

It is the #1 story on Google News right now.

Clinton asking the DNC to reinstate his access, if he fires the people behind the breach, is the 100% correct move.

If only because it gives the DNC and DWS political cover to back down with out losing face.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

She doesn't deserve political cover. Let 'em fight it out without Clinton's (further :tinfoil:) involvement.

I don't want the news story going into Christmas being "Democrats are loving up". I would prefer the media narrative stay on "loving Republics are CRAZY".

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

I grant you that, but last I knew it was still difficult for campaigns to use vendors other than ngp-van and maintain data consistency with the party. Even if it was ngp-van contracted to build the interface that allows other vendors to be used by campaigns it would be better than the vendor lockin that exists.

Because half the time the interface won't work.

And when the campaign is over and broke who is going to pay to fix it?

Having a single source of truth and system of record is worth a vendor lock in.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Why would that have to be true? Would they have contracted a Republican company?

Because I work with large databases and that is exactly what happens.

The interface either doesn't work at all or screws up half the data.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Even the idea that your opponent loving up hard can harm you is some crazy impressive levels of spin. Or just straight up delusion.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

greatn posted:

I think the price of that data is a little inflated

Probably not.

I could easily see the cost of developing, setting up, loading and maintaining a massive database at $100M.

Most of the cost would be sunk into extracting from the old data sources, with each one requiring some level of custom development, then having to deal with the data quality issues that come from using dozens of amateur systems as sources would be another nightmare.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Constantly being in the news and disrupting things let the Occupy Wall Street movement force through landmark legislation such as:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Abner Assington posted:

So, not a baseball fan, I take it?

Pro Click

Apparently an entire industry of top tier journalist didn't notice that. Or they didn't care.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Football's dominance may decline when the head injury research really permeates the national consciousness and high schools start getting hit with civil suits. If insurers stop covering high school football teams, a lot of programs will be eliminated and the talent funnel will shrivel all the way up the chain.

Football is also terrible because the Steelers blew it against a trash team as usual so we're going to miss the playoffs.

I have a cousin who is a high school football coach. It was amazing to watch him spin the concussion scandal.

"Well, you see no sport is with out risk. People are just panicking because 'concussion' sounds scary. But we used to just call it 'getting your bell rung' and everyone was fine with it".

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Didn't the last batch have nothing that discredited Hillary, but did have proof that Bush colluded with Blair ensuring to him that war was going to happen no matter what? Maybe I'm thinking something else, it's tough when anything like this or Gowdy getting caught fabricating documents relating to Benghazi just gets ignored because

Nah dude, this set will totally have her confession to be a lizard person. Or Killing Vince Foster. Or scamming people in Whitewater. Or planning 9/11. Or Something?

I mean she has to be guilty of something just based on the volume of accusations against her, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Hillary having trouble with modern remotes will just endear her to the old farts even more imho

My mother thinks having a second remote for the sound bar is too confusing and then casts The Look at my dad every time she forgets it.

• Locked thread