Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JT Jag posted:

The President's party tends to win Senate seats during Presidential elections, and lose them on off-year elections.

There are lots of Republican Senate seats up for election in 2016, because Republicans won a lot of seats in 2010, a non-Presidential election. 2016 is a Presidential election year.

There are lots of Democratic Senate seats up for election in 2018, because Democrats won a lot of seats in 2012, a Presidential election. 2018 is a non-Presidential election year.

I would just straight-up put it that Presidential elections favor Democrats and off-years favor Republicans. It's a question of turnout, and low turnout literally always plays out as "octogenarians with nothing better to do decide the election". That effect is way more powerful than the party currently in power.

The recent counterexample was 2006 I guess, but that was after Bush's fall from favor had begun in earnest, with Iraq turning to poo poo, Afghanistan forgotten, and a failed attempt to privatize social security, and basically just presaged the 2008 Democratic blowout.

Still though Democrats are probably boned in 2018, there's basically no pickups for Democrats there and a lot of chances to lose a seat.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gail Wynand posted:

Wow, women must go to the bathroom totally differently than I thought.

I mean honestly who doesn't enjoy a good pants-down peepee? But that's just taking it too far. It gets chilly in bathrooms.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
In Flint, Mich., there’s so much lead in children’s blood that a state of emergency is declared

(What's up with the passive voice, WaPo?)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Oracle posted:

Yeah, the emergency manager that Governor Snyder appointed decided to use the Flint River (notorious for the last 100+ years for being heavily polluted due to industrial runoff from the automotive industry) as the source of drinking water for the city instead of Lake Huron from a Detroit water company. Cue businesses in Flint paying extra money to relink to the Detroit water because the Flint River water was so corrosive it was loving up their machinery.

People began complaining about the water being rusty and smelling/tasting foul and feeling horrid and the city selectively tested a few homes that were on newly-replaced pipes and surprisingly found acceptable levels of lead in the water. Any tests of other homes were jerryrigged to produce acceptable results also (letting the water run for up to a half hour before testing it, stuff like that) or just outright lied about. Combine the corrosive water with already aging and underused infrastructure due to the steep population decline thanks to local industry disappearing and the water was a mess. (Personal anecdote: was staying at my grandmother's house over Xmas last year which is in Flint and took a shower in this water. It did something horrible to my hair to the point where it felt dirtier after the shower than before I got in. Went to my sister's just out of town just to shower again in her well water to get the film off and had to wash it like three times).

Concerned citizens had to finally go to an EPA guy in Chicago to test the water instead of just being blown off which is when the Superfund levels of lead in the water were discovered (I think the highest was like 10,000 times the legal limit) and then FOIA and such revealed documents that those in charge knew and were actively taking steps to cover it up.

It is a total shitshow and I hope to God everyone involved up to Snyder burns for it.

Yeah, it's literal cartoon-villain stuff. They literally knew it was a problem and did it anyway.

The federal EPA actually told MDEQ back in February that they needed a corrosion control plan and that they were likely to have a lead problem and they just kept on trucking.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 15, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shageletic posted:

One of the articles I posted last page stated that the majority of black people in Michigan are now under Emergency Manager supervision, i.e. any idiot willing to take a two day lobbying seminar.

As a kid I used to love playing the Flint scenario in SimCity 2000 because it was real easy and then you have a sweet city to dick around with. Flint is high-crime but you can bulldoze all the parks and build police stations instead since they're both 3x3 footprints.

I think I would make a good emergency manager.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 15, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Oracle posted:

This is getting way long and I'm getting suicidally depressed tired, so I'll leave you with this interesting piece on the history of EMs in Michigan. (Seriously, read the whole thing, its important to understanding the whole situation).

We didn't "allow" the emergency manager thing to happen, though. We actually voted it down in 2012 but Snyder just passed it again a week later (this time with funding for something-or-other attached so that it couldn't be subject to another referendum).

Republicans have an iron grip on all three branches of government in the state. Whatcha gonna do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 16, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hollismason posted:

Oh hey GOP lawmakers have figure out a way to make it illegal (sort of ) to have an abortion. By requiring any person having a abortion to have the remains cremated or buried. If they fail to comply it's a misdemeanor.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2015/12/14/lawmakers-want-aborted-fetuses-cremated-buried/77292140/

So another cost added to the abortion with no justification.

The Onion did it first.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I hope he comes home from booking only to find Bill Murray with muddy feet up on his couch polishing off the last of his good Scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Joementum posted:

Somewhat problematic.

Elizabeth Warren is a Bernie supporter!? :3:

• Locked thread