Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
The cataphracts suck now. they are too slow for STD engines yet have bad hitboxes for xl. muromets had its day but it isnt good, if you want a glass cannon get the jagers/firebrand. the ember sucks too (but the firestarter mastery pack does come with it and the 2 best variants)

I have a hard time going back to IS lights after running arctic cheaters and jenner II's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

That Italian Guy posted:

A *fast* (IE: normal) Oxide can sport 2SRM6s. A slow one can pack up to 2SRM6+2SRM4. Quite a punch for a light, but not exactly "core you in 1 volley" material, especially cause the launchers are in 3 different locations.

the Jenner IIc can comfortably fit 4 srm6 if you run a 295, has enough ammo for em, plus junp jets, its a loving blas to play

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
on king crab xl's, i only really run them in dual gauss + 3 large lasers. Its super easy to spot the xl builds in the wild, and i yell out KC the moment i see em

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

I'm kind of jealous of all you people and your fancy expensive mechs. 2poor4mech. I mostly just want to buy some paints so I can color my shitbots bright awful neons and then run around.

Anyway, what mechs can I stuff a lot of AC's into? There don't seem to be many, if any, light options that aren't just lasers.

AC's on lights are hard to aim with, balistic hardpoints on lights usually get ignored. The good ballistics are heavy and work better on heavies and assaults.

all my paints were freebies, all my patterns are one-shots purchased with mc earned in events

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

How often do they give out free paint? I've got red and green from christmas, but I love me some horrible bright colors.

in the past they almost never gave out free paint. but recently they let some go in events. Also i think they give away faction colors as CW loyalty rewards (i may be wrong on that one)

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

What should my second unlock be after radar deprivation?
Also, I finally got my TOP DOG to Elite so if you have any cool builds please post them. Using this right now: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=289&l=e6aa273ba1e0dccdc713d183c38859e1259017bf

Seismic. unless your light, I run the targeting one in lights so I can identify weak points faster

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Breaking news: Atlas S is a good mech

These are just the handful of matches I remembered to press print screen on

not shown: The countless matches where I run in first and get butt raped

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 3, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Repo Man posted:

Try the D-DC if you want to be a ninja atlas.

Try the DDC you say?

:clint:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
or you could bring a mech with only direct fire weapons and not LRMS and never have to worry about your missiles being countered by ECM, AMS, Radar Dep, or terrain.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

We should compile a poo poo load of new builds

I think the op would be less cluttered if we just listed every mech and a little blurb about them, what variants to get, or if the mech is just trash. Like a buyers guide. For example:

Mist Lynx Garbage mech dont buy.

Dragon A fast, fragile IS heavy. 1N variant has a heavily quirked dual AC5 godhand that is fun but not optimal, other variants are toilet mechs.

Atlas Sturdy 100 tonner good brawler. Buy the S, the DD-C. For a 3rd variant get the D or RS, or if you are bad with money get the hero Boars Head. The K is a waste of money.

Dire Wolf A very slow assault that fits an assload of weapons. Buy the W first. Dont buy the Prime. Be cautious with omnipod selection, Prime arms and S torsos have laser heat penalties

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anita Dickinme posted:

The game's not that good to put this much effort into it.

But seriously, I was wanting to constantly working on it and make improvements, like this, but I've been too busy lately.

yeah good point, plus poo poo gets buffed/nerfed so frequently would be a chore keeping it current

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
the terra therma thunderdome with the 2ppc adders trials was pretty fun

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coolwhoami posted:

I still want to do something where two stormcrows protect their clutch of urbanmech eggs.

Also, goons don't let goons buy a mist lynx. Jesus christ is it awful.

thats the trouble with the buyers guide, you'll get the guy upset you had the nerve to call their yellow snowflake a poo poo waste of time and tonnage

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

Join a goon queue with Randy, suicide at the start of the game, and study his Daishi play.

The one true Direwolf build is 2 Gauss, 2 LPL, 3 ML.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

Cannot quote this enough. One match where I definitely won it "For the team" was on forest colony. I was in my AC20 4xSRM6 Atlas. Our team and theirs were seperated by about 300 meters and a hillock doing that peak and poke faggotry that pubbies are wont to do with a small contingent of goons joining in. Thanks to lights I saw where the enemy pubs were all grouped up and marched my Atlas the long way around to them so I'd be facing some butts (I'd have had an awkward time coming in the front due to hills/terrain/etc, basically a straight push would have lead us to be picked apart). So I ran up the enemy teams butts and fired off a couple of salvos as a "Hey, guess what an assault is here!" the entire team turned to face me, at which point our team managed to limp over the broken terrain and get buttshots on pretty much their entire team.

I managed to completely neuter a direwolf before blowing up. But by the time they finished killing me, 6 of them had gone down to buttshots from our team.

One thing I wish I'd see more is light pilots actually scouting, running behind enemy lances and turning them around pre-push, instead of sitting behind the lance and trying to hawk kills.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Oh Snapple! posted:

the problem is that any flanking maneuver is pretty high risk and requires good timing amongst the entire team to pull off. otherwise the flanking units will get utterly reamed for no gains whatsoever and even in full goon groups it's rarely pulled off

and then sometimes your lights will do this to a team that is good enough to where they just flatout wreck your lights through a quick burst of concentrated fire and then go about their business.

Oh Snapple! posted:

nothing odd about it. pubbies hate any game mode that actually encourages/forces them to actively move around.

game has a very moba-like feel to it a lot of the time in that regard, wherein people will often just wait to capitalize on others taking actions that they themselves are too cowardly to take

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tujague posted:

Jesus christ, they took such a huge poo poo on the menu and game interface. It's so loving awful.

Fun fact, at low resolutions the mechlab is different, the right side where you grab weapons, heatsinks, modules etc, expands out and makes it very crowded. I can understand if that is whats killin ya, but if you think this is worse than 1.0 or god forbid, 2.0, well, you may be special.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

EduardoEspecial posted:

I want to shoot lasers at giant robots. Any chance of getting an invite or something? My in game is Cocktopus.

Reported

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

oh boy. not what you want to see before a new map gets released

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
huh, the king crab 0000 with 4 ASRM6 and 2 LPL is kinda fun. Not super optimal but fun

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
going to take a mech rarely seen in the field, fit a bunch of random poo poo on it and set MWO on fire just wait and see.

lol

Fun event idea: while playing you browse the brown sea, whoever finds a godawful pubbie-approved build gets the right to force another goon to run that build

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ezekeel posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that having a JJ on the DWF makes a huge difference? The average travel speed seems to improve a lot since one can take shortcuts instead of walking around every pebble. Even one JJ lifts up that fat rear end quite nicely.

yes. i changed my 5 UAC 5 direwolf to have an S torso becuase that jj was so drat useful in my other sniper builds

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
oh wonderful, we'll get to see more super quirked blackjacks hillhumping. Dunno why they gave them structure bonus they were already decent

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tujague posted:

Okay, I got me a reliable, dependable laser Centurion and an OP-recommended ECM Raven. I got registered with the space game goons and got on Mumble. I even borrowed a good headset from a friend to replace my lovely old one. I've been a good boy.

Time to do something fun and stupid. I present Shotgun Fungus, the Jaegermech
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=67&l=cb4bc88da3454f848292eff9035670e3a194d74c

The great part is that I can strip it and rebuild it if I want a mech that works! Think I'll need more ammo?

LBX10's suck if you want a 'fun' jager cram two AC20's in it. Or dual gauss, or 3 ultra 5's.

also frontload your armor. i usually run 8ish in the back sides, and 10 back center jagers are a bit fragile

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 12, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Axetrain posted:

So I grabbed a Firestarter-S, what's the way to build it? I was thinking something like this.

But I don't really have a clue.

oh god, max armor in the arms and legs. never shave leg armor on lights.

XL295 engine. 5 medium pulses, one jumpjet

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

I don't normally play mechs with Jump Jets (or lights in general, for that matter). How many JJs should I be bringing for them to be effective? Specifically on a Jenner IIc, which I've been dicking around with for fun. I feel like I might be able to strip some of those jump jets for extra ammo/armor/whatever.

i run the IIc's with at least single jumpjet, two if i end up with an extra half ton.

Ive also found it favorable to go with an xl295 rather than the 315 they come with

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

teepo posted:

this. when the lasers are sitting directly below the center of your cockpit regardless of how you twist, they're using helios.

here's a good refresher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imc_hGMXG1g

it become easier to spot the further you're out of range

While i think it is good the video exists, you couldn't of found a worse (better?) MWONERD.avi dude to do it.

Fast forward to 4:00 to avoid the opening ramblings. Also "hey I'm making a video, lemme just light up this cig casually in the middle of it"

Jump to 19:30 if you want to see how it looks ingame.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 12, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
not to mention you won't have the same sight lines as the rest of the group 200 meters back humping your favorite hill

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

So I mastered my King Crab finally and I'm thinking about selling the 00B because it doesn't seem to really be worth keeping around. The 0000 has missiles and lasers, the 000 has a lot of ballistics. But the 00B just kind of has nothing special about it, or am I missing something?

nah if it doesnt look useful sell it. but i wont sell anything unless I am in dire need of cbucks or mechbays

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pooncha posted:

Where do you find these magical rage factories :allears:

just some mild innocuous cajoling, or sometimes you are simply lucky.

Early this morning i was on a team that got rolled by tryhards and a guy did some heavy whining about meta laser builds. two matches later we drop with him again and he gets aced by LRMs, and went into full meltdown mode

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stringbean posted:

I'm planning on rebuying an IS assault. I was thinking Atlas because I love a good brawler, but meta mechs is listing Banshee, Stalker, and Battlemaster for its tier 1 bracket. They're all laser toting, zombie mechs. As much as I'm sure they're beastly, I think I'd rather have some more variety. Should I stick to the Atlas plan?

metamechs focus on long range meta peek and poke mechs. Atlas brawling probably isn't meta but it can work and is five times more fun.

General atlas guidelines:

most run an AC20 and SRM's. Standard 350 engine. dual heat sinks, endo steel, artemis if you can fit it.

get the Atlas S, the atlas DDC first. buy a D as the last one for skills.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TeeMerk posted:

Is this what we are doing now?

Kinda looks like McGrady carried the day.

Hello new WoL, same as the old WoL :shrek:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Any mech at 100% can chump a few kills if they hide the whole match. why not just build a mech that can contribute all the time by leaving lrms, lbxs, and mgs off your mechs

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Banano posted:

so, new map

Well, I like that when it doesn't appear on the vote screen you can bet the other team is packing lrms.

from the couple times I've played it it was not too brawl friendly, but that may just be because we went to dumb spots and got nuked by lrm spam. definately not much cover.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endbuster posted:

If you have PC Gamer camo, you might be an oldbird.

coconut monkey is a permanent fixture to my ddc

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Drythe posted:

Prof Curly shall always have the gooniest of voices

Aah i see you've never heard the dulcet tones of Rufus Landale

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raged posted:

Hey I am coming back into the game after stopping playing right after launch. I have 17k of MC in my account from founders and am wondering what mechs I should buy with it.

Could I get an invite to WoL. I really don't want to sign up for a stupid rear end SC account for this game. Also whats a good wiki for builds?

Also is there still ghost heat for everything?

mc kinda sucks, you can buy a few hero mechs that are ok, hero blackjack, jenner, stalker, uh... griffon? anyhow sombody correct me here but it may be better spent on premium time. generally it is best to buy stuff with cbills if possible so premium it up and grind away.

no you dont need goonrathi at all to play, somebody here can send ya the mumble info if you have pm's (tying to keep that off the op to reduce randoms)

ghost heat exists, it shows up as a yellow exclamation point inside a triangle in the upper left of the methlab screen. mechs have quirks now and some mitigate ghost heat.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

vorebane posted:

I would suggest it is worth it to buy those inferior direwolves on account of elite skills and doubled basics being game changing for such a slow mech.

as a direwolf pilot, this is 100% true.

make a dakka build, make a dual gauss 2 lpl 3 ml with the W variant, skill out and sell the 3rd. i reccomend the D, the W, and the S variants. PROTIP: always put 1 s torso in your builds, the jumpjets are a loving godsend in a dire

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
i remeber when cw came out and our lances were rawdog buttfucking all davions, their tactic switched to just straight up trying to stall us while they ghost dropped our planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Orions have massive CT's and should be avoided.

• Locked thread