Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Number19 posted:

Time for me to update my bookmarks it seems.

Are any of you goons coming to the PGI Steam Launch event?

That would have required me applying, although I live in the area and thus I could have gone fairly easily. Also it likely will have free drinks which would fit nicely in my budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Number19 posted:

There is an open bar

drat! Well, enjoy it.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

teepo posted:

i'd buy a jenner iic right now if i were able to get the 4th variant but pgi is bad at business, literally

I have to assume that preorder bonus variant will be available eventually but while I can potentially see why extra premium time isn't a good way anymore if purchasing is done predominantly by whales (as they probably have a large amount of banked time), this seems like a really obnoxious way to encourage preorders rather than cosmetic stuff.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Well that certainly explains why they're shying away from that as a preorder bonus

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
It also is attempting to prevent boating of weapons, while never actually determining why that was a problem to begin with. The frustration around it is that it represents a design choice that is not well argued, implemented or indicated to players, on the basis of a problem that was caused by other balance issues. On top of that, the person who implemented it regularly demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding regarding mech design and balance, which irritates people even more given the amount of effort people put in trying to provide alternative solutions.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Number19 posted:

I just waved to a goon on Twitch. :rip:

I shoulda crashed your party

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Please dont use a joystick or controller to play this game.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

The only potential suck thing about the mech is the paint job if it's the same as the reward AH they gave out to people who gave pgi money.

I got it already, it's just the standard green paint.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Photex posted:

I heard this game was good again, so i'm bring back ER-PCP/Liao's House of Noodles. We would join WoL but everyone got pissy one time we did drunk drops and I streamed, is WoL still all spergin' OPSEC all the time?

WoL is basically just a place to shoot robots and play CW on Liao/JF, no one gives a poo poo about that crap no more.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
http://mwomercs.com/news/2015/12/1444-boxing-day-sale-starts-tomorrow-get-20-extra-mc-buy

For those with MC sitting around.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Devorum posted:

Fang, X-5, Pretty Baby, and Death's Knell are basically the best in class.

Uhhhh

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Ezekeel posted:

I guess it depends on what level you play. So far I have only played Quick Play solo queue and I am T3 and I have not seen many SRM since the missile buffs. Definitely more LRM though.

I wish I had the data on weapon usage over time, I strongly suspect that when brawling started coming back, LRMs are more viable (more targets out in areas where they can be both hit and locked continuously) which is in turn causing them to rise up too, as I've noticed an increase in them as well.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why the X5 over a pirate's bane?

I own a pirate's bane and while funny to take out, it's a pretty bad robot. The X5 is effectively a bigger, better pirate's bane

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Point of clarity: Never buy any robot, but if you do, don't buy a champion mech unless it's in a mastery pack, then it's OK.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

And already pubbies cry out in anger about this cool and good change:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/218706-petition-to-save-alpine/

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Number19 posted:

We found the source of the issue and have repaired it. It was difficult to diagnose.

I can imagine that for the last bit there's been a lot of work and off-hour calls for you, so thanks for fixing robot game.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Oh, what should I be spending my general XP on?

Modules.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

What should my second unlock be after radar deprivation?

Seismic is useful on most robots, capture is good for lights if you're mostly doing quick matches, but even then conquest is generally not played much so YMMV, while 360 target retention is a pretty solid choice. I'd say the bigger issue is that modules are so expensive and radar deprivation so useful that you're better off spending your nickles on that so you don't have to swap em everywhere rather than on other less useful ones.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
We really outta do a write up on the weird/obscure rules this game has, because drat are a lot of these questions coming out of that.

Also we need to figure a way to fix "we are in a 5-7 man and lost 2 or 3 games in a row and now no one wants to talk or call targets and then we lose another and everyone leaves" syndrome. It seems to happen an awful lot in mumble groups (there is a common factor here its me)

vvvvv It used to be 40% at one point, I don't know if it was multiple changes or not. At that point the shotgun effect of the LB-X was mitigated by how much quicker you could pump rounds in, but at 10% its most certainly not worthwhile. Still is, I am dumb.

That weapon in particular has been a forever problem in part because it is entirely an upgrade from an AC/10 in tabletop, as it can fire either type of round and the cluster rounds present 10 chances for a critical rather than 1 (I am no tabletop expert but I believe this is accurate). meanwhile in MWO, on top of being cluster only, the component shredding aspect of them is only useful on mechs with enough internal structure that they are going to that section on-board long enough to do anything with the exposed bits. I kinda wonder (other than for technical reasons) why they haven't simply implemented the through armor crit capacity to that weapon specifically, as it would take several hits to break anything anyways and would at least give some reason for its use on mechs that aren't heavily quirks (same for MGs)

edit: ask me about my mental illness itt:

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 3, 2016

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I feel slightly underwhelmed by the UAC-20, all Ultra-ACs as it is.
From what ive seen, the UAC20 is basically an AC5 that shoots 4 times, why should i use it over a regular AC20?

Also what light (40 tons or lower) IS mech does
.) have ECM
.) have AMS
.) have jump jets
.) go over 120 kph
.) can fit autocannopns if needed
?

Are you asking for a list for each, or mechs that fulfill all if these?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

One that has all of these, my dream-light for IS.
I havent found one, but i might be retarded, so...

Im eyeing with a Janner, who cant ECM, or a Cicada, which cant jump.

On autocannons:
Thanks for clarification, the ingame information didnt really make this clear in any way.

There are reasons why that is a bad idea, but regardless no such mech satisfies all those conditions. The Kitfox (KFX-C) and Locust (Pirates Bane) has all save jumpjets. The Raven (4X and Huggin), Panther (10P), Firestarter (Ember and H), and Spider (K and Anansi) all have everything except ECM. Cicadas are not a light for game purposes, although that distinction is only important for quick play matchmaking at this point.

The reason this is a bad idea is that any auto cannon light enough to fit onto a light without sacrificing engine size requires constant pointing at another mech. I highly recommend against fitting auto cannons to lights except for gimmick purposes.

As a general point, and many would benefit from this: The rules that make certain fits make sense in tabletop do not apply to this game. Do not make or plan fits around tabletop ones, because they are almost always bad in this game.

vvvv I forgot that whoever codes smurfy is a bad a lot, yeah, of course it does or this wouldn't be possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf8nCeDaEE

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 3, 2016

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I still want to do something where two stormcrows protect their clutch of urbanmech eggs.

Also, goons don't let goons buy a mist lynx. Jesus christ is it awful.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

Does anyone know how they are able to get and parse these stats on popular 'mech builds on a daily basis? http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/statistics

Is there some kind of match API key that PGI only leases out to certain people or something? Because if I could get in on that, I'd make dotabuff.com except for MWO.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/forum/296-api/. An example for CW: https://mrbcleague.com/cw/. However, they are most likely just counting the number of times a particular build is accessed and ranking them, as that makes sense based on what the site can do.

e: in fact, they even say at the top of that link "List of mechs sorted by most accessed on the site". Apparently they also have their own public API.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 4, 2016

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

I believe you just have to have premium time to host a private lobby, yes? So it's not like donating anything?

getting mad about robots is exhausting y'all, I don't recommend it

Even worse is getting mad at other people about robots.

Also if I am around on Saturday I have my shame premium so I can host matches.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I am terrible at map strategy and in general.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

AtillatheBum posted:

Why do I see all the griffin builds with 4 ASRM-4s instead of 3 ASRM-6s? the 3 6s have better dps, better alpha better locations on the robot and better heat efficiency. The only thing the srm4s seem to have going for them is a tiny bit less ammo consumption. Am I missing something here?

The only thing I can think of is a tighter missile spread, as that would allow much more precise damage application.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Endbuster posted:

I'm sitting on 35 million cbills...

I might spend them all on Direwolves, just because of the savings and I'll never master it any other time.

WHAT DO I DO GOONS!?

Buy robots you find fun to play

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Kazvall posted:

The biggest "tip" for piloting an assault is to just play one for hours. I can sit here and talk about situational awareness and poo poo but you only get that through dying over and over. If you're not learning a lesson each time you die, you're not dying hard enough.

Part of this is actually taking the time to think about why you died and what you could have done differently. If you want to get real absurd with it write down how you died and what things lead to it. Theres plenty enough downtime between matches to do this and you may as well try to improve your robutting.

This isnt a silver bullet though. You also need to have played enough to reckognize that poo poo you do earlier has an effect later in the match. Also, solo dropping makes things harder because you're so frequently stuck following the decisions of the pubbie herd, YMMV there.

I want to do a write up on some of the more obscure mechanics and crap that isn't well documented, but it is easy to overexplain poo poo like missle tracking that more basic and important poo poo might get buried. Can anyone who has started recently (or anyone else for that matter) PM me questions they have/had that were useful to know?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Voideka posted:

Retaliation for your poopsocking!

How could you do this to me, have I taught you all nothing!

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I have confirmed the max multiplier for voting to be 12x. Map Warrior Online is a cool minigame.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Skoll posted:

All the steam packs are terrible deals.

The light one is probably the least bad of them at least.

If we're comparing to the 20 dollar origins pack, it comes with three mechs of which one is bonused, and no MC, cbills or premium time. The marauder one has a month of premium but no cbill bonused mech, MC or cbills.

The 30% bonus is not a huge thing imo (most people that play(ed) long term tend to use lots of mechs, unless you're mint frog), but the MC is ~6 bucks and the premium time 12, although bundling tends to undervalue that. The performance packs were on sale for 20% off fairly recently however. If you're going to buy something like this, make sure you're getting the most out of your money and not buying extra bonuses that you don't actually want/need.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Just a heads up for people who are getting the newsletter and junking/deleting it immediately: this week they're giving out a free week of premium time for everyone.

I assume it went out, and since I didn't get one I checked the mail settings I had saved before after learning about newsletter prizes. Naturally, it had gone back to unchecked.

e: eh, its only a week of premium (I assumed it would be something like that), not a huge loss on my part.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 8, 2016

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Drakes posted:

I didn't check my email, just went to the main site and hit the gimme my poo poo link.

Yep, although apparently given the possibility of ~future rewards~ mailing list poo poo should get sorted.

The link, for those too lazy to look: https://mwomercs.com/rewards

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

if one SRM2 gives you CLOSE-RANGE PUNCH, then two? my god ...

WHY AM I DOING BAD WITH THIS BAD FIT gently caress U PGI

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
A more c-bill friendly way is to either pick or roll for trial mechs. You can do the forced poo poo-fits stuff but it requires a level of spreadsheets to record available mechs/engines that it is not worth the effort to ultimately end up with an LRM-20 Raven.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Just a heads up I quit this game in favor of playing splatoon. You can remove Etreri from WOL.

That sounds like effort, and we are goons and therefore lazy.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Cockpit hitboxes are tiny and therefore it is very unlikely to happen.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

Just had several matches of 3 man driving brawly Heavy Metals. Was rather surprisingly fun and successful. We were all based loosely on this build, seasoned to taste. It's been the first time I've heard my mech make with the butt rock in a long time.

Dammit, I missed my chance to show off my terrible life choices!

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
The timber wolves dumb CT hitboxes means you can almost always hit it there if you shoot it in the nose, and because of its relatively symmetrical hardpoint setup makes peeking rather ineffective. I found them lackluster, having just finished eliting them all, and found myself wanting to hop back in a crow or ECM hellbringer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I'm considering getting back into this after hearing that it's finally good again, are any of my CHIVERS™ boys still playing

I'm kinda in CHIVERS, so yes?

• Locked thread