Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

#19, why did they wait until just now to make incremental changes to quirks and gauss to improve the brawling meta? It has been terrible for a long time already. Why now?

Because they knew a fast paced brawling game would draw people in for the steam release and make the game seem popular / make the bad reviews look like the ranting of crazy people.

Expect all the positive changes to be slowly reverted over the course of the next six months, but be pleasantly surprised if that doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dusty Lens posted:

Which one of those steps should I start with if I'm playing in order to not be responsible for putting Tiny Tim into a tiny box this Christmas.

Always start with 'not giving them money.'

That said, I did have fun in a splatcat last night.
The way the extra SRMs are bolted onto the launchers that should have more than enough room for all 3 (18 missiles < 20 missiles) is dumb as gently caress though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

It'd basically be a Clan Atlas if they give it the right quirks, yeah?

Kodiak's a 4/6 in tabletop, so it'd be as fast as the BattleMaster. It'd be the fastest 100-tonner in the game unless they release the Iron Cheetah (lol).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

various cheeses posted:

According to my profile page on MWO, I have 3,384 hours of premium time :staredog:

3,624 :sympathy:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Repo Man posted:

To prevent massive alpha strikes being repeated over and over.

It was wildly successful

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wafflecopper posted:

How does it not occur to the same company that put out $500 gold mechs to put a download link at the top of their official webpage? :psypop:

It's there, but only after you log in. If you're not logged in you get 'PLAY FOR FREE' instead.

:squawk:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 10, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I am mildly disappointed that whoever did the preview didn't spin the PGI logo in a 360 degree circle a couple of times.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jack2142 posted:

I figured out how to make pub teams less retarded take company command and start giving orders sometimes it works and you get semi-competent attacks going.

I just give them random warnings like "We're getting too spread out" or tips like "find the biggest, slowest `Mech you can (almost always me) and follow it to steal kills"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

That Italian Guy posted:

Are you still running the 10km/h LRM boat?

No, haha. That's a baby Rhino Stalker now (it's basically a worse Laserdrill with a few SRMs tacked on, since I don't own a laserdrill but needed something for CW drops).

For those who aren't in the know, putting the smallest sized engine in a Stalker yields a machine so slow that it can't even reverse. It took 30+ seconds to do a 360 degree turn, and has a torso twist speed that makes PGI's patch schedule look fast.

The only time I played it we dropped on Alpine. Despite my best efforts I didn't even get it out of the base by the time that game ended. :v:

Edit: And I'm pretty sure I got killed by a stock Spider-K.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

PGI have just dug themselves a hole with monetisation though because if they adopt a price plan more like War Thunder (what I'd call the gold standard right now) then the backlash from the whales will be immense.

"And we're giving everyone who did buy at the old price point heroic champion versions of those `Mechs, with both a 30% c-bill increase and a 30% experience increase, 90 days of premium time, and some MC"

Edit: And a "The Bounty Hunter" skin for their `Mechs, a unique green skin colored in shiny golden dollar signs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nuebot posted:

Is there a trick to dealing with LRMs? Every match today I've gone down in a hellfire of missiles because I just can't deal with them at all for the life of me.

Stand near a wall. 99% of LRMs will hit the wall instead of you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

Best prize would be an external christmas skin for urbanmechs, complete with blinking multicolor lights.

Eh, close enough?

Edit: Also, 'trashborn' is a racial epithet. I'm reporting PGI.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Skoll posted:

"free access to all Battletech novels and cartoons".

lol.

Wait, no, gotta channel the cartoons.

"Is this some kind of joke?"

Catalyst makes the novels available through an e-publisher at no cost IIRC, you just have to do a little fishing on the Catalyst website to find the links.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Anticheese posted:

I would be all onboard FF if it actually were a little lighter AND offered more protection. That would be an actual choice.

It's a pity we can't get any of BattleTech's neat gimmick armors. Laser reflective armor to punish snipers, ablative armor that explodes to cut missile damage in half, hardened armor that straight-up doubles the amount of armor you can carry at a hefty speed penalty.

And the OP Clan Ferro-Lamellor armor that straight up reduces all damage by 20% at the "cost" of being heavier than ferro-fibrous

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

like all Spiders it is fun to zoom around in but has like zero damage potential

That Spider

:colbert:

50% energy cooldown, -25% laser duration. The LPL will recharge and fire before the LPL's weapon recharge sound finishes starts. I'm not saying it's great--it's certainly no Arctic Cheetah, so the last thing you want to do is engage an enemy light `Mech, but if you catch someone alone or distracted or someone who can't aim and/or has lovely ping this will ruin them. It also repurposes the Raven's 255XL so if you've got Ravens you can run around annoying the poo poo out of people and killing bads with machineguns.

For sheer 'dicking around' factor, it's also pretty hard to top This Jerk.

Ever been envious of enemy UAVs and want to take the fight to them on their terms? Now you can! Ever been circling a Dire Wolf or an Atlas and thought it'd be really funny to suddenly vanish like Batman and leave him no clue where you are or where you vanished to? Now you can! Ever been in a light `Mech duel and just really, really wanted to be anywhere else? Now you can!

With just a push of your Space Bar suddenly you're about 150 meters over everything else's heads! Just remember to save about 20-25% fuel for the landing because this Spider can only survive four max-height jumps before snapping its own legs off.

Edit: I have cleared the cooling towers in River City on this piece of poo poo. It's pretty great terrible great.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 31, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axetrain posted:

What's the best Timberwolf variant for lasers?

Probably the 'A,' the one with the high shoulder mount.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ZenVulgarity posted:

Shaving six million Cbills off of a price of a dire wolf is pretty nice

Not worth buying one of the lovely Steam "performance packs" though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

sarmhan posted:

Well the MAD-3R in tabletop is basically designed to be as deadly as possible for the driver- an AC/5 ammo in a under-armored side torso with nothing else to soak crits. Also running dual PPCs with only 16 single heat sinks.

That reminds me to do a Nostalgia-killer mission with the 3025 units that are cripplingly bad at their jobs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tujague posted:

I get that stormcrow is the best medium right now, but I kind of want to rebuild my old Centurion CN9-AL with the three large lasers and/or a wubcada
Is nostalgia going to lead me into a lovely place????? Or does nobody care? I'm going to get all caught up with the goons in-game when I get a chance (this weekend???)

AL's pretty alright. If you have fun with it, roll with it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Is there one of these that shows the 'dead spots' in the Marauder's hitbox?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bait and Swatch posted:

I had a blast in the 5ml variant tonight, is that one more fun? Just replace theMLs with an LPL I assume?

The Locust 1V (and Spider 5K) have 50% energy weapon cooldowns. The Locust 1V gets a 50% beam duration on top of that (the Spider 5K is only a 30% reduction, but gets like a 15% range increase thrown in too).

I personally prefer the Spider since you can take a jump jet and some machineguns to annoy / frighten bads, but that -50% beam duration on the Locust 1V is really tempting. Also cheap.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 7, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

WhiteHowler posted:

Not sure how I ended up with mechs other than my founder's one -- I never bought anything other than the founder's pack, and I haven't touched the game since beta.

It was an anniversary reward. You got a free Centurion for spending money on the game and an AS7-S (the S stands for for 'shame') Atlas for being a founder. The AS7-S is very good right now and gets you extra money whenever you pilot it. The CN9-AH is gimmicky but can be fun I hear. You'll probably notice immediately that they both look terrible.

AS7-S is pretty much 'best in show' for Atlases right now. Do something like this with it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Surprise Giraffe posted:

How much of a thing is this?

Depends on how tough you are. It's a bad idea for an Atlas. It probably doesn't matter for a Locust.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Endbuster posted:

I dunno man. I think I got the Cheetah figured out. EDIT: That sounded harsh, basically I've tried both and we're splitting hairs. I do play the way you described, though. I am a butt poking sonofabitch.

You made me curious, so I had to check something.

Small sample size, admittedly, but the Spider 5V's ability to just "nope" out of a fight it can't win is pretty great.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Weren't they introducing some sort of 4v4 CW 'capture the flag' type thing?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TVDinna posted:

I want to trade tier ratings with this guy so bad. I never got to play in the glorious tier 5 rating because loving MWO somehow decided to let me skip it :c

I had two matches at Tier 5 before the game went "Yeah, no" and bumped me up into Tier 4. Tier 5 in the Splatlas was a magical time of 8-9+ kills against stock builds and Kit Foxes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ZenVulgarity posted:

I wish they were good

I'm glad they aren't. The game was poo poo when they were.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Pubbies are really bad at picking a target and sticking to it until it dies, but if they only have one thing to shoot at even pubbies can't gently caress it up every time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
As long as they're in position to capitalize when I rush in with my Spider like a moron firing machineguns at everything and generally being a nuisance I don't care whether anyone else is brawling or sniping. As long as enemy `Mechs are falling over and I have butts to shoot.

Edit: And Dire Wolves I can stand directly behind to stop them from advancing to the rear.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 13, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

so Russ is asking about what people would want to see in a new four-mech Clan pack, and this one seems to be winning for lights:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Piranha

may I direct your attention to its twelve (12) machine guns

No lie, I would spend actual money if dumb machinegun fishmech got in.

I'd also spend even more if the 100 ton Bane got in. 14 cockpit-height ballistics slots (or eight nine missile slots) on non-Omni Clan assault?

Throw in the Night Gyr and the Mongrel Vapor Eagle and introduce Clan Laser Heat Sinks (double heat sinks that make your `Mech look like a disco rave party when it's overheating) and you've got yourself a party!

And then throw the Helios in the next IS pack. :v:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 13, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fil5000 posted:

The fafnir had ECM as well. A hundred tonner with two torso ballistic slots and ECM.

To rain on your parade, it's also a 2/3 which means it's as fast as the stock Urbanmech and significantly slower than the Dire Wolf.

Elliotw2 posted:

Spaceship shaped mechs you say? Let me introduce the Viper, the premiere " literal jet with legs" battlemech.

The redesign is pretty alright.

Good vision, high weapon mounts. It's one of those `Mechs that would also be really good since it's not an Omni so you could slap a bigger engine in it if 75 tons of being as fast as a Timberwolf and having (removable) Jump Jets isn't your thing.

No, seriously, the Black Python is just about best-in-show for Clan Heavy `Mechs. It's ugly as poo poo but dear lord it'd be pretty OP.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Devorum posted:

If I was going to use this sale to buy bad gimmick robots...which 3 Spiders should I get?

SDR-5K (Furious)
SDR-5K (Fast)
Large Pulse Laser, 4 machine guns, 1 ton of ammo (put it in the head), XL 255. You'll be under-armoring your arms and cockpit but it doesn't matter, you'll almost never lose the arms anyway and the Spider's cockpit hitbox is so small I'm pretty sure it can only take damage from artillery / airstrikes. This is pretty much exactly what I run. It's pretty funny when it scores kills.

50% energy cooldown + 5% fast fire + 12% LPL cooldown module = good times with that large pulse laser.

SDR-5V (Jumpy)
SDR-5V (Fast)
2 medium pulse lasers, 12 jump jets, XL 255. :v: (better would be 2 medium pulse, 1 jump jet, and a huge engine). Fast version's probably the better of the two, but I can't name another `Mech that wants an XL 285.

30% energy cooldown means the 5V can run hotter than you'd expect.

SDR-5D (Sniper)
SDR-5D (WubWub)
The other reason you want an XL 255: The Spider 5D can't mount a bigger engine. ECM and whatever (3 medium pulse lasers is the better build, probably).

The 5D's quirks are pretty :mediocre: but it does get ECM.

Except for the 5D (which is stuck with an XL 255) most spiders can mount a big enough engine to match the Locust in speed. The XL 285's pretty specialized so you don't absolutely need to buy one if you're saving for other things and have an XL 255 already.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 16, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Devorum posted:

"Vulture" is the IS name for the Mad Dog.

It's even worse than that. "Hagetaka" was the IS reporting name for the Mad Dog, which lasted until one author explained that Hagetaka translated to "Vulture."

Then it became the Vulture. :pseudo:

Stormcrow is the Ryoken, which is "passport." With a really weird spelling ( which didn't save, apparently ) you miiiight get "fist of the battalion" or something but someone who actually reads/writes Japanese would have to tell me how stupid/bad that is.

Warhawk is the Masakari, a Japanese broad axe

Arctic Cheetah's the Hankyu, a Japanese short bow

Daishi is supposedly "great death" but probably translates better as "great teacher" or, with some spellings, "cardboard" (or some even worse spellings "godchild")

The Mist Lynx's reporting name was 'Koshi' which again, theoretically translates to 'small death' (it's the orgasm! :haw: ) but more accurately translates to "lower back," "used paper" or (and this is my favorite), "withering; dying"

Edit: A couple of Clan `Mechs didn't get a "real" Clan name for years. The Ebon Jaguar, for example, is called the Cauldron Born in every piece of fiction it appears in. It didn't get a "Clan" name until after the novel line was discontinued. Even the Clans call it the Cauldron Born, since the IS name spread faster than the official name the Smoke Jaguars gave it.

There's one other instance of the Clans liking the IS reporting name for a `Mech so much that they stopped using their own designation: the Mongrel (a Clan version of the Blackjack, basically) was named the Grendel by the Inner Sphere. For some reason Freeborn Clanners enjoyed piloting a killer troll a lot more than piloting a thinly-disguised insult at their expense.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 16, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Yolomon Wayne posted:

"Lower Back" as in, you know, "Arse"?

Sadly, it's specifically the lumbar region.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Don't forget the Banshee!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Devorum posted:

would ever mean "Fist of the Battalion" (Datai no ken; 大隊の拳).

Based on the second entry. Same symbol, but with a (probably contextual) historical meaning.

I honestly have no idea where the 'Ryoken' name comes from. It's never made any sense to me and it's one of those `Mechs that basically never appeared in fiction so never had the meaning of its name explained.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Devorum posted:

I can only assume that someone high on 80's cocaine saw it in a badly translated underground manga and ran with it.

It's either that or they meant it to be the 'Ryuken'--Dragon Fist--but remembered at the last minute that the Draconis Combine has the Ryuken regiments already and changed a vowel at the last minute.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Holybat posted:

http://www.kanjijapanese.com/en/dictionary-japanese-english/ryouken

Maybe they meant to make the Stormcrow a "hunting dog" in the DCMS reports. Not surprisingly, FASA might've not factchecked the spelling.

It's Stackpole and he loves his dogs, so that would make sense. It also wouldn't be the first time FASA horribly misspelled something in Japanese ( Da Si becoming Daishi is probably a good example)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Oh yeah, :420: damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

35% off Locust

Oh poo poo. Time to spend $1.8 million spacebucks to finish out my Locust collection. Other than the 1V and the pirate's bane, which one(s) are good passable?

• Locked thread