Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Skoll posted:

I... I... I actually had fun last night doing 12mans with goons for hours. There was much squawking like ye olden days. Much brawling. Centurions ruled the day as we played our own version of NASCAR with SRMs and the pubbie teams got to roleplay Dale Earnhardht to our wall.

I feel ashamed of myself. :suicide:

All true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Finster Dexter posted:

Enjoy your BANS.

To "squawk" is canon. It's not something merely annoying like "bofa".

The selective nature of what defines their criteria for a chat-based ban is heavily suspect, however.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

WarLocke posted:

So IS mechs aren't poo poo anymore and the game is fun again? WTF :pgi:

SRM brawlers are fun again, and IS robots aren't 'as' fragile as they were vs furry-bots. The game, and meta, are still pretty lovely... But :pgi: has run their annual "hope" patch and gotten some of us to re-install.

All of the good will be patched out in 6 months and everybody will be sane again, playing legit good games like nothing Derek Smart has made or can concieve without heavy litigation.

That is your page-4 state of the game. You are welcome.

PS- Still an anime game, no excuses for LLtQ.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

A.o.D. posted:

Hope this makes you mad.

I read this in your voice.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Chomp, you should install the steamy version and hop on mumble with goons.

Anything you say cannot possibly be more angry than Skoll discussing his feelings about ________.

Also, you might have fun. If you go through a 1-round/1-drink rule like I do, you won't even remember it the next day and can stay legit mad.

I'm here to help.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Chomp8645 posted:

I might on Sunday if I have time.

gently caress yeah.

Two Beans posted:

Please get screenshots of Paul's tetris scores over the night.

I lol'd irl.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

teepo posted:

never take machine guns unless you can pack at least four. two machine guns does next to absolutely nothing to open components, four does decent damage and six shreds.

i had tested this extensively in the training grounds to figure exactly how much of a waste of space the two mgs on the pirate bane were

In a pinch, throwing 3 on the Cent-AH's right arm will lead to MG kills.

It's my new favorite robot.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Oh great this pay to win cash grab piece of crap game made by an rear end in a top hat company is now on my most favouritist DRM platform. NOW I can be sure to play it!

There is no "tinfoil hat" cockpit decoration. Sorry.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
lol :allears:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Another note: If you EVER take streaks as a primary/secondary (NEVER as a 3rd choice though) weapon, you HAVE to bring a counter for ECM. gently caress AMS, ditch it and the ammo for a Beagle. Hell, you're building a brawler anyway, toss a beagle in there even without streaks.

IS streaks are terrible because there are only 2 missles. Streaks hit near random parts and have -0- splash damage. Only clans should take streaks, and in the biggest size you can fit.

Once you get a feel for SRM's, you'll go artemis and never look back. It even makes packing on 3-4 of the 4-missle sized ones semi-viable.

MG's are fine with 3-4 of them at work. I fire them wildly, literally, the entire time I'm fighting people. It's annoying as heck, and by making the whole bot glow, they *might not notice what part I'm aiming for until the SRM's strip off it's armor.

* I don't really care, it's fun.

My Cent-AH should not exist and would get mocked by myself if I had seen it posted.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Is there anything to do with all the chassis XP I have after I unlock all 8 available basic chassis skills, or am I just going to sit on a giant pile until I can make the 35mil C-bills required to buy all three other Stormcrow variants, since the Elite tier doesn't unlock until I have basic on all variants?

You can convert it to GXP at a very *reasonable conversion rate with your MC! :v:

* Don't.

e: You actually bank it so that once you do have the other 2 chassis you can insta-unlock speed tweak.

e #deux: You get it. I "might" still be drunk.

armchairyoda fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 12, 2015

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Devorum posted:

I got you fam

A Spider 5V/A would do also, but a little more interesting and not quite as painful. They are fun to drive.

Still bad robots tho. :smithicide:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Bait and Swatch posted:

What is MC for? I have 20000 of it and a founders Atlas.

E: What's the best thing to buy with MC?

At best, mech bays if you need 'em. Hopefully when they go on sale, mebbe this Xmas even.
Only buy one-shot camo tho, it doesn't make sense to spend 750-1250 MC for three robots when you can spend 450 MC total to make them pretty.
Colors (maybe?).
A Huggin if you're going Ravens, an Anasi if your going Spiders (the 5V is that bad, skip it), a Pirate's Bane if you go Locust, a Death's Knell if you're GOING COMMANDO (har har har!).
The Jade Falcon warhorn. Never not squawk.

e: NOTHING ELSE.

I bought an Awesome 8V with MC my 1st month while drunk. DO NOT YODA THIS UP FOR YOU TOO.

armchairyoda fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 16, 2015

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Anticheese posted:

I remember you complaining about that back in the day. :allears:

Still do. Also, still probably drunk.

I own a Jenner/Hunchback IIC.

SoftNum posted:

is buying mechs with MC a specifically bad idea (apart from the 'why spend real money on shooty bots')?

YES. Do not do it unless you're hella-rich and don't mind supporting half-assed development decisions. :smithicide:

e: Or you're really drunk.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Banano posted:

he said 20,000 not 2,000 :confused:

Yeah, you dulcet-toned Rico Sua-ve... I has maths. Keep the rest for when you sell the account, or if :pgi: continue to get their poo poo together.

I'm really not that hopeful tho. :smith:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Vorenus posted:

I really hate to buy into the level of cynicism required to go down this path, but it wouldn't be surprising. PGI has used gameplay balance as a tool for cash revenue in the past, and this would only be another example.

As always, the Golden Rule of MWO: Never give PGI money. Ever. Many of us have transgressed to varying degrees in the past (myself included) but a lot of you goony nerds keep reinstalling as soon as a good patch comes out and suddenly it's wallets out, forgetting that every.single.time. PGI does anything remotely good they follow it up by making cheesecloth of the playerbase's collective butthole. I'm looking at you, yoda.

Re: Tiers - Solo queue w/pubbies is bad, but after a few nights of dropping with goon groups wow is solo queue like a bucket of cold acid to the nuts.

I was about to post the same thing... I love you, man.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Banano posted:

pls add to op

lol buy a mech and its not available to use for hours because reasons

As long as you didn't buy the jenner... :ssh:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Wales Grey posted:

Phoenix Hawk

That's the one. Still "unseen" tho. :shepspends:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Number19 posted:

I should log on under my anon account one day just so I can goof off fully.

E: for all the newcomers or returning old timers who haven't kept up: I am a PGI employee. If you have an issue you want assistance with then contact support since I'm generally terrible at being able to help. If you have a question I might be able to answer. You can also PM me other questions if you think they're more private and I will try to answer.

Also I play robots with goons so odds are we will group up and have fun one day.

Addendum:

As the resident "leggy receptionist", 19's pull is very limited.

You know the story... Hard working, streetwise city kid trying to make it big... But will true love throw a curveball into that plan?

Also, 19 looks like Mini Me with more voluptuous buttocks.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Nuebot posted:

So what's the deal with the black knight? It seems to be the only mech you can't buy with credits at all.

That's the :pgi: rub.

You can pre-purchase or buy newly relesed robot packs for real money.

A month or so later, you can buy them with the premium currency (MC) or see above.

@1-2 months after that, the robots can be bought with space-poor credits, or see all of the above.

Note that robots bought with the first and second option may have c-bill or XP perks to sweeten the deal, but a robot bought with credits will NEVER have those bonuses.

The Black Knight came out just 2-3 months ago and should go on sale for cbills "soon-ish"? I'd know the date if the robot weren't so undewhelming that I don't care. :effort:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

A.o.D. posted:

Hopefully this AH can be sold. I'm stuck forever with an AH, an atlas, and a king crab I can never get rid of. Thankfully, they came with their mechbays, so the only cost to me is having to look past them to find the mech I want.

Despite the terrible paint jobs, all 3 of those are solid IS robots with cbill bonuses.

I understand wanting to bitch about :pgi: 's failures and shortcomings in this bad-ish game, but complaining about those 3 taking up space is you just complaining to hear yourself complain in your own voice.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Willfrey posted:

Once you get up past 6 players on a team the tonnage restrictions really hurt. I dislike playing in those large groups.

Also that despite all the goon-on-goon love, sometimes groups just don't get into that winning grove.

Don't be afraid to split up if the stompings start to sting. I've been (am) the lance-cancer many a night.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Bentai posted:

I think it's one of the bridge officers from Macross/Robotech.

I can't speak for Macross, but it was a Pin Point Barrier operator in Robotech.

It was basically 3 ladies stuffed into a computer closet playing Centipede iirc.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Melchior posted:

It's because pubs love LRMs

It's true. Last night we dropped against a group of MS twice that had reached the pinnacle of pubbie evolution.

They had a raven run all over with a narc while the other 9 people drove lrm 60-80's.

With such practiced efficiency in "stand still, click button", they easily routed the group of fall-over-drunk (I can really only speak for TMerc and myself) goons in our bad brawler builds. We managed to kill a few, but it was only in true e-kamakazi style.

:911:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
A very brave/retarded AC/20 KGC-000B.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Nuebot posted:

Nothing is worse than a deathmatch game where you can't find the last half of the enemy team because they're all tiny light mechs hiding, trying to draw out the fight.

What if you're in a tiny little Death's Knell and your arms were shot off?

AND the other team are full of really bad shooterpeople that can't hit you when you run through them 20+ times?

I consider this a-okay.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TheParadigm posted:

Omnimechs whole thing - as far as I have been informed second hand, correct me if i'm wrong - is that clan mechs aren't able to change engines out (or possibly some other internals), but can just buy parts(arms,torsos, legs etc) from other mechs in the same series. This sets hardpoints and quirks based on parts you're actually using, so its kind of an assemble your own mecha type deal.

Yes, but you made it sound better than it ends up in MWO.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Skoll posted:

I thought they had stopped doing that since they're making new novels now. And the ones they did offer were the BattleCorps ones which usually have differences from the print editions.

Holy poo poo. You grognard.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Xii posted:

If I got 3600 MC what should I buy as a heavy or assault mech? Looking for ideas.

NONE.

Seriously. Save the MC for heroes on sale or mech bays.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

sebmojo posted:

Stormcrow, or Timberwolf.

True. I'd run a Stormcrow 1st, it is the "Best" robot in the game per ton. Just watch the heat you make with all the death you shoot out.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Great Beer posted:

My only complaint about the 20 dollar packages is that you can't get the extras after the preorder time. I'd totally own the warhammer right now if I could still get those. The collectors packs arw probably 10 dollars higher than they need to be though. A duplicate of a variant with a cb bonus isn't worth double the price.

I was recently "gifted" (via gift card from a relative with poor financial abilities) the collectors warham pack with a widow chaser.

Due to the decision to buy fitting so well with the gift givers track record, I feel that my bad impulse was just channelling her.

No ragrets.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Pattonesque posted:

it's probably the worst Banshee. Doesn't get the good quirks of the -3E and doesn't have favorable hardpoints

I looked into buying one with my leftover MC, but yeah, it's a trash robot.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TheParadigm posted:

Alright, lets flip this around and look at it from the other side then.

What are good MC purchase robots that arent hot garbage?

Topdog. Anything else?

The Griffin hero is a mpl boat, and you can still run uac5's in the Ilya... But it's a glass cannon.

Other than that, I'm not sure anymore. :saddowns:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

The Repo Man posted:

I've played against them a lot in CW, and I've never had any reason to suspect them of cheating. Pug teams can get to at least 24 kills against them, which is pretty good for pugs against a 12 mans. Then again, I hardly come across anyone who may be blatantly cheating.

Nope. Not the 228's. Never. Not even once.

e: :histdowns:

armchairyoda fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 30, 2015

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Professor Awesome posted:

I use 6 UAC2s but with 6 small ERs for some extra close-range punch, since jams are certain at the volume of fire required for brawling. Also yeah arctic cheetah rear end can be an issue but that's just part of the whole assault mech thing :(

Commit, son!

Ditch the lasers for more ammo. Having the backup of SL's (ewww, gross! not even SPL's) iflicts a psychological fallacy of: "Oh golly! I better not waste a shot that uses ammo!"

DO NOT FALL INTO THIS TRAP. In somewhat gimmick-ish builds, you have to go all-out. You will either become a master of whatever gun you build the robot around, or a sad joke of a snowflake crusader.

e: Never commit to LRM's you piece of poo poo.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Holy poo poo! What graphic settings make the terrain into a polygonal hell?!?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Stringbean posted:

So am I running my King Crab wrong then? I have an xl in it, 4 ac/5 and 2 LL. I seem to get 500 damage on average with it. Which I guess isn't too bad? Not great, but ok?

I'm not a guru at placing bits and bobs on my mechs, so I tend to research on other sites and forums and go from there. What other configs for a KGC-0000B should I perhaps look into? Figured I'd ask for more advice so I'm not some sort of megabaddy

Yes. Kill the lasers. More ammo. And screw the no-xl-in-a-kc cowards, they wouldn't die if they weren't so bad. :v:

As long as you understand that a KC is not an Atlas, and play it like a walking turret instead of a jihadist, you'll be fine. Friggin', god drat sissies.

And number19- Attempting to get Anders in last night was the worst experience anyone can have in MW:O and pointed out just how loving un-finished/half-assed the CW implementation is.

It's already a loving joke in gameplay/carrot/reward terms, but to have it fail so terribly technicaly... What the christ. Please pass on to whoever (:iiam:) designed CW on a cocaine-soaked* cocktail napkin that nepotism will only carry them so far in their career.

Getting Anders to log in is, at best, an annual event. This only proved that anyone giving :pgi: any money are completely loving retarded bads. :saddowns:

* Yeah, "soaked". They did that wrong too.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Stringbean posted:

I've just been poking my arms out from behind walls and shooting dudes that way.

But why no lasers? I have enough ammo as is and the lasers are a great way to supplement fire when my arms get torn off (rarely ever).

Because with no lasers, you never need to stop shooting. You are effectively heat neutral, even on the Mordor map. COMMIT TO THE GIMMICK MOTHERFUCKER.

KGC-000B

ImpactVector posted:

Also they may not be missing on their end. You probably don't see their HSR when you spectate.

This is true.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

teepo posted:

the ilya only becomes a good mech when it is built around an xl340.

I would like to know more about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

tarbrush posted:

Omg gently caress the tutorial

It's easy money. I hear Gary Oldman had been previously booked for VO work, so now it sounds more like pre-motorcycle-helmets Gary Busey.

• Locked thread