Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Trying this again for some reason. Could anyone recommend me a mech? I prefer to brawl if that narrows it down. My primary account has a CPLT-K2 and a COM-3A which I imagine have really lovely old layouts (K2 has dual UAC/5 and 4 MLA - the COM is running 2x Med Pulse lasers and SRM6). Should I just reroll a new account, get money and buy a better mech that way? Or are these two still salvageable? I don't seem to be walking out of matches with much damage done :(

vv Yeah I've done it already vv

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

sebmojo posted:

The commando might be serviceable since those weapons are in a good place and it has some decent quirks for them. K2 is probably a bit mediocre. No harm in restarting for the sweet beginner cash, plus getting rolled back to tier 5 won't hurt your earnings.

Thats what I was figuring. Tried playing a few matches with my K2 and it just seemed like a wet noodle.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Opinions on the King Crab? If I'm really liking Assault mechs, is there any benefit from picking this over the Atlas? Just trying to get an idea of what I'm gaining/losing before I drop 10 million credits down.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I went with my gut and bought a King Crab. Running the AC5 build from the OP and I couldn't be happier. 500+ damage match out the gate despite dying in the first 5 minutes feels pretty good.

Now to save up 5mil to buy the xl engine. Good thing I've been getting quarter million credits per match :dance:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Gonna try to get into Mediums and I've decided I want more crabs in my life. I'm looking at getting the CRB-20 or the 27... leaning towards the 20 (because it's cheaper, but the mounts dont seem too bad). Seems like all of the Crabs are energy weapon based. Which I'm not too familiar with as I usually use ballistics. I've looked up builds for the 20 so far, and it's between mount pulse lasers or straight up lasers. Anyone got any particular ideas? Or should I try out this weird Large/Medium Pulse build?

e: Also, I have a strong love for my King Crab. That fucker just wrecks fools.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 29, 2015

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
What's the difference between straight up lasers and pulse? I get that they fire differently - but is there any benefit to one over the other? Do lasers just give a constant stream of dps but have more heat build up?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Melchior posted:

Annnnd server(s?) is down.

Maybe it was a sign. It told me that I should hold off on purchasing an urbmech

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So am I running my King Crab wrong then? I have an xl in it, 4 ac/5 and 2 LL. I seem to get 500 damage on average with it. Which I guess isn't too bad? Not great, but ok?

I'm not a guru at placing bits and bobs on my mechs, so I tend to research on other sites and forums and go from there. What other configs for a KGC-0000B should I perhaps look into? Figured I'd ask for more advice so I'm not some sort of megabaddy

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

armchairyoda posted:

Yes. Kill the lasers. More ammo. And screw the no-xl-in-a-kc cowards, they wouldn't die if they weren't so bad. :v:

As long as you understand that a KC is not an Atlas, and play it like a walking turret instead of a jihadist, you'll be fine. Friggin', god drat sissies.

I've just been poking my arms out from behind walls and shooting dudes that way.

But why no lasers? I have enough ammo as is and the lasers are a great way to supplement fire when my arms get torn off (rarely ever).

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I bought a garbage can :ohdear:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Here's the Garbagecan (UM-R60L) build I found and currently use. In battle it tears into sides and butts, most people tend to ignore my poor little urb in favor of bigger dudes. But something tells me I should have used the AC/20 that comes equipped. The quirks favor both weapon types. Faster ACs or longer ranged lasers...

Thoughts?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Considering it tells me to in the OP, could I get an invite to either GIRL or WoL? In-Game name is Stringbeanz. Thanks!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
CW was fun as gently caress last night. Despite being there for 2 games, I went from having 1.2 million CB to roughly 2.6 million. Granted the first game I played with WoL, we smeared the other teams mechs across that boxy landscape.

poo poo is so cash.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Before I buy a Thunderbolt. I was told to nab a 5SS, all the builds I'm looking at vary wildly. From nothing but MPL to ERLL. Anyone have a build that would point me in the right direction.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

DancingShade posted:

3 large pulse lasers, some kind of STD engine and double heatsinks. You can add extra secondary lasers if you want or just purely run 6 medium pulse lasers if you want to brawl and murder things up close.

There are a lot of "right" ways to build it and the best one for you is going to depend on your playstyle.

I was trying to figure out how to cram 3 lpl on this thing but I can't seem to figure it out. Considering the quirks for the mech, I'll go with the whole STD300, double heatsinks. I figured 7 medium pulse can fit but that'd be some hell of a lot of heat management.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

I shouldn't have to give PGI money in order to play a private lobby with my friends #politics

I shouldn't have to pay a restaurant money to partake in food with my comrades. So I have my friends pay for it.

Gotcha, noble intentions and what not.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've finally mastered (personal skill-wise) the art of the garbagecan. Shooting assaults and heavies in the rear end in a top hat with Large pulse lasers will never get old (and boy howdy do they get ornery about being shot down by an urbmech).

I'm looking to expand again into medium mechs. What's people's thoughts on the Vindicator? 1AA looks interesting. But if the resounding advice is to steer clear, which other medium is good (and reasonably priced)? Centurion?

e: vvv which variant? The 9-A looks like it could be good for brawling. Pack some SRMs and 2x MLasers on it. Stick with a standard engine. vvv

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 5, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I heard a lot of praise for the Marauder. My finger is hovering over the buy button for this thing. Considering the price is the same over all these mechs, should I consider the Rifleman/Warhammer over it?

Before anyone says "don't give them money", I'm going to give them money regardless.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

One of my favorite things as an oxide to do is when I'm out of ammo sit behind one of the heavy mechs and just force them to be unable to move at all

Coincidentally, heavies like to sit behind my mediums in really tight corridors

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So I did the 2x LPL 2x SRM w/ AMS on the Marauder. poo poo is fun

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Malarkey! After a long long long hiatus I returned to the game as a scrub newbie, my first purchase was a King Crab. Then I researched builds and asked questions, listened to what to do and what not to do. Then I dropped into games. Had no problems, first few games I was getting 500-600 damage a match.

You all shouldn't discourage newbies from Assaults (or heavies). Page upon pages you guys have been advising on mech builds and tips for the heaviest mechs. Let a newbie buy into them and learn, trial by fire if need be.

On that note, I've become addicted to the marauder and my KGC, CRB and TDR are collecting dust :(

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I mean by all means go straight for that Atlas/Dire/Mauler but don't cry when a competent light pilot legs you and your team is nowhere to be seen. That's probably on you.

That's what I'm saying. If you want to play an assault, play it. But do some studying before you dive in. If you've played any other damage based team oriented game (WoT, WT, AW, etc) you should know not to push on your own.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
The more I play Mediums and heavies and less I like about Assaults. They have their benefits, but I prefer the speed of mediums and the beefiness/mobility of heavies. The marauder and thunderbolt are spoiling me.

Think I might sell the KGC and put the CB towards a new medium.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

Please do not treat a King Crab like an Atlas

It is fun brawling but it is really good at being a big gently caress you turret behind an Atlas.

That's how I played my KGC. But that's not my favorite way to play. Turns out I like to shoot people in the face at point blank range.

e: if I do get another Assault, it'll probably be an Atlas for the exact reason above.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So I've traded my KGC in for a SCR-D. Question in regards to Streakcrowing. I've set weapons group so I can fire arms separately and I have my torso on a separate group as well. Should I just have it all on one group and chainfire? I'm finding myself getting stuck in moments where my SRMs are all down and I have to retreat (luckily the speed for the SCR helps me there)

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys! Much appreciated, just had a 700+ dmg game through a series of chainfiring and mobility.

I've also just picked up an Cheater, gave up my garbagecan's mech bay for it. Worth it. I also crammed another SPL on it by switching the arm the ACH-B arm and removing a Heatsink. I'm really having no issues with heat on this thing.

e: Now I can start saving up for other mechs. Maybe an Atlas.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 7, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

liquidfire posted:

I respect you boo. Quite frankly I hate people who purposley waste tonnage on my behalf but you did it right.

wat.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Just a big burly guy punching PGI employees in the gut everytime they pass in the hall.

"Make poo poo better" he grunts everytime.

Pavlovian measures being taken at their offices.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'd be down for some CW with WoL. Though I think I need to nab a few more IS mechs... I'll probably scoop up a Raven and some form of medium. Otherwise I'm dropping with a trio of Marauders and a trial mech.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

The only way I can see them remodeling the catapult is if they make it skinnier, right now it's kinda chubby.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How the hell are people fitting 3 AC5s on a MAD-3R? Just not bothering with taking any lasers? Best I can manage is this, but you have no ammo or heatsinks to speak of: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=345&l=1123f41cc6065b6ce0cfd03d6845c55f8d843439

Seems about right. If this is the MAD I'm thinking about, I run it with 4 LPL and 3 Machine guns... Because, I can juggle heat like a champ and those pulses make people think twice before charging.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Don't weep for me, I'm lost (upon seeing the ac/5 build I switched already, because God do I love me some ACs)

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I somehow got 20 pages behind on this thread. Did PGI do something hilarious or is it all actual discussions about robots? Or goon drama?

Game is really fun, lots of robot talk, tons of new birds (like myself).

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Bought myself a HBK-4SP the other night, ran it stock and actually had tons of fun with it. I definitely want to keep the 2x SRM6 on it, I've seen a few builds that substitute in 2x LLas for 2 of the MLas. I think just about every build I've seen bumps up the engine to a std250. Any recommendations?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Back in the day filling it with MLs and SRM6s with the 2x SRM6 was the go to build. I can't see why not to use it these days. LLs have a bit too long a burn time to be properly paired with SRMs, you want to be dumping damage and then twisting away. It's not like you could use an LL for long range poking, the arms are way too low for that.

That's what I was figuring, I'll nab an engine upgrade, DHS, and the armor upgrades. Don't think Artemis is going to add anything considering I should be up in faces to blast SRM in their face.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

That hunchback can fit ASRM6s. I forget my exact build right now, but it's that, ammo, and a couple of MPLs. Mostly you rely on the SRMs but the MPLs have a short enough duration to use them if you have the heat to spare. It's accurate enough that you can do some poking at medium-short ranges.

Is it the 3x MPLas, 2x SRM6+A? With an arm completely free of weapons so you can use it as a shield?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Got my first 1k+ damage game in my MAD-5D, using 4x MPLas and 2x SRM4+A. In Viridian Bog. Just me and a smoking HBK-GI. 2 dudes are holed up on top of a plateau that I can't JJ up onto. So the HBK and I wait it out under the cliff edge and wait. 20 seconds left, they decide it's now or never and drop down in front of me. I core out the first guy, and the other jets. It was a great match - I should probably run Shadowplay....

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'm planning on rebuying an IS assault. I was thinking Atlas because I love a good brawler, but meta mechs is listing Banshee, Stalker, and Battlemaster for its tier 1 bracket. They're all laser toting, zombie mechs. As much as I'm sure they're beastly, I think I'd rather have some more variety. Should I stick to the Atlas plan?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Thanks to me never wanting to drive a Cicada, and having nothing to retrofit - I finally got the AS7-D-DC. Gimme the low down on this mech. Artemis, Endo, DHS... AC/20, 3x SRM6, ECM... Keep the MLas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Tindahbawx posted:

Mediums seem to get matches much quicker? When I was trying to use a Heavy Mech, the time it took before it found a match was much longer.

That's because everyone thinks that Heavies are going to get that challenge done quicker because

Heavy = more damage! (Not really)

I did this entire thing with a Streakcrow and a Hunchback.

• Locked thread